Bullwhips in hand luggage?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Bullwhips in hand luggage?

Post by jones the whip »

Hello folks,
Can someone advise me please.
I'm planning a trip overseas and was hoping to take some of my gear with me. Has anyone experienced a problem at airports carrying a whip in your hand luggage? (Heathrow in particular)
I know this may seem like a dumb question but I'm not a frequent airline user and don't know if they would consider a bullwhip as a dangerous object.
What d'yer think?

Cheers,
JTW.
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Bullwhips in hand luggage?

Post by TenuredProfessor »

I have flown with my whip in my carry-on bag a couple times and it indeed earned me a thorough bag search! If at all possible, check it :TOH: According to TSA at SFO anyway, it is not considered a weapon :whip:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Hey JTW,

Definitely not from Heathrow anyway. It would be considered a dangerous object ie a baton and rope combined.

Checked (ie. in the hold) luggage only.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow ... nd-baggage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

Thanks so much guys.
You've confirmed what I originally thought would probably be the case.

Cheers,
JTW.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Don't take a chance, buddy. TSA and the international equivalents vary from airport to airport. Heck, they can vary in the same airport depending on what the inspector's mood is. So many stories about this type of thing making headlines lately, too. One teenage girl had a small (3"), one-sided emblem on of .357 Magnum hanging as a charm on her purse and made it through a Florida airport--then got detained in Atlanta. The reason was that it was considered a weapon! I've even heard of some people getting stopped for wearing a t-shirt with a graphic of a handgun on it.....yeah--seriously!
Just put your whip in your checked baggage and be done with it.

P.S.--way back before the 9/11 attacks, I got held up by an inspector for the two vintage camera flashes I had in my carry-on. Yes, they were of the lightsaber variety: a Graflex 3-cell and an MPP. I made it through 3 airports between Ft. Walton Beach Florida, Atlanta Georgia, and Baton Rouge Louisiana before the inspector in Dallas/Ft. Worth decided they looked like pipe bombs...lol.

Bottom line is--if you're even questioning it, then just put it i your checked luggage.

Hope that helps a little...
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

And if a TSA agent is an Indy fan - you may be giving them the best gift they'll get of the year - your whip.
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

I get your point, ;) thanks again.
I was hoping to travel with just hand luggage and include my whip, but now......naaaa!

Cheers,
JTW.