The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues.

Post by BendingOak »

They look great in costume and they look great together period. I'm so very glad you like all your hats Daren. It's always a joy to make you a hat.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

BendingOak wrote:They look great in costume and they look great together period.
:TOH: Indeed they do!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

ShanghaiJack wrote:
BendingOak wrote:They look great in costume and they look great together period.
:TOH: Indeed they do!
They are also a great couple. I was lucky enough to have them over at my hat shop and house and they are some of the nicest people.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

TOP-NOTCH all the way!
:clap:

Excellent work Daren and John!
:TOH:
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that

1. Tomorrow will mark TWO WEEKS that there has been a new post in this thread, minus this post. :shock: :shock: :shock:
2. Mitch hasn't freaked out about/noted this yet. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

iwantamorganreelbad1 wrote:I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that

1. Tomorrow will mark TWO WEEKS that there has been a new post in this thread, minus this post. :shock: :shock: :shock:
2. Mitch hasn't freaked out about/noted this yet. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well I have another 2 months or so to wait for my new hat... but if you all talk John into bumping my order up, I'll be happy to post pics right away. ;) :P
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

What should i say Daren, just fxxxgxn jealous, congrats on such an amazing collection of lids!! :TOH:

Regards,

LJ
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re:

BendingOak wrote:Here's a hat I'm about to send out that I made for someone who wanted a different colored Raiders hat.

It's pecan color with a brown ribbon. Forgive the photo's but I'm using my iphne again for this one. It's 5 3/4 inch crown with a dim. cut of 2 7/8 X 25/8.

I should be finishing and sending out the 3 hats that I'm running late on and then I'll be back on time. I will be working on November orders and touching December order as well.

I should be able to have all November orders sent out by the end of the month. That will keep me on track.
I love this fed...I think I'll get my Rabbit Raiders in either this color or your normal brown.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Re:

BendingOak wrote: Forgive the photo's but I'm using my Iphone again for this one.
They look just fine to me.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Wow, that pecan color actually looks really good!
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

generalFROSTY wrote:Wow, that pecan color actually looks really good!
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Yes, it does! John can pull off anything!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

John truly IS an Artist... and the amazing variety -and quality- of work that this gentleman makes available to hat lovers ("Indy fans" and otherwise) around the world is simply without compare in my opinion.
:notworthy:

I placed my latest order with John several months ago (as hard as it is for me to believe, it's my first actual Brown Raiders fedora in BEAVER!) ...and it'll still be a little while before I have it in my grubby hands... but as with everything John makes and sells, it'd be worth the wait even if I had to wait 5 times as long!
:D

I'll be posting pictures right HERE on this great Thread once I do get it, mind you... but that'll still be a while AFTER this Thread hits it's next monumental milestone...
An amazing and well-deserved 3000 posts of information, help, photos, praise and thanks.

So, if someone would be so kind?
(and Congratulations in advance, John)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Mitch- you have never ordered a brown Raiders fedora in beaver?!?!? WOW! You're going to love it!!!! I know I love mine!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Oh-and as hard as it is to believe- I don't have an order for a hat placed with John at the moment. Must be the first time in nearly 2 years! It's a weird feeling.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mitch LaRue wrote:John truly IS an Artist... and the amazing variety -and quality- of work that this gentleman makes available to hat lovers ("Indy fans" and otherwise) around the world is simply without compare in my opinion.
:notworthy:

I placed my latest order with John several months ago (as hard as it is for me to believe, it's my first actual Brown Raiders fedora in BEAVER!) ...and it'll still be a little while before I have it in my grubby hands... but as with everything John makes and sells, it'd be worth the wait even if I had to wait 5 times as long!

I'll be posting pictures right HERE on this great Thread once I do get it, mind you... but that'll still be a while AFTER this Thread hits it's next monumental milestone...
An amazing and well-deserved 3000 posts of information, help, photos, praise and thanks.

So, if someone would be so kind?
(and Congratulations in advance, John)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats, Mitch!
And now this thread has 61 pages!
AND 3002 posts!!!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Wow Mitch- 3,000 posts on this thread! Dang! I remember when this thread first started! :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

jnicktem wrote:Oh-and as hard as it is to believe- I don't have an order for a hat placed with John at the moment. Must be the first time in nearly 2 years! It's a weird feeling.
Congradulations, Nick! You have made the 3,000th post in this thread.

Please contact John for your free gift. ;) :tup:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

WOAH! Wait! That was me??? Geez- I guess that's what you get for not really paying attention!

I hope I get a free hat! :CR:

Kidding of course. :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

jnicktem wrote:WOAH! Wait! That was me??? Geez- I guess that's what you get for not really paying attention!

I hope I get a free hat! :CR:

Kidding of course. :TOH:

Have you lost you mind?????? You did win something and I'm putting it in the post today. You should have it in 2-3 days.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

John- you know me. You know very well that I lost my mind a loooong time ago!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well now I feel like I have to contribute something on here. Here are some recent pictures taken of my 1+ year old Penman Raiders in beaver:

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

hey, that not to shabby.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well.... it IS a Penman! ;)
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

jnicktem wrote:Well.... it IS a Penman! ;)
Quite good looking for a year old!
Reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNt69cBP ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by iwantamorganreelbad1 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We're well aware of the tutorial videos.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

jnicktem wrote:WOAH! Wait! That was me???
Yep... that's what I was talkin' about when I said "So, if someone would be so kind?" ... that was kinda' my way of saying "would someone please do the honors of the 3000th Post?"

:-k
Although, technically I think the Comment of yours that was actually #3000 was the one that read "Mitch- you have never ordered a brown Raiders fedora in beaver?!?!? WOW! You're going to love it!!!! I know I love mine!" ...once we started the 61st Page it would've been the 3001st Post - but I guess I could be wrong ;)

But either way, it's YOU Nick! Congrats for being one of those fellas who can't tire of talking about the Mad (Hatter) Skillz of BendingOak!

But BIGGER Congrats to John, for giving us SO much to talk about!

And THANKS a lot for posting that photo of the exact kind of hat I've ordered from John, Nick...
NOW I'm doing THIS:
=P~
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I was pretty tired when I made those posts... I had no clue I was #3,000 until Scott told me so!

It is no secret that I love John's work. He is truly an artist in the field of hatmaking! I love talking about John's work, as well as showing it off!

Mitch- you are going to be thrilled with your beaver Raiders- It is just one of those hats that gets better and better each time you wear it!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

A fuzzy porch I might add. Imagine the neighbor's reaction....

There's that crazy Nick on his porch making photos of his hats, again! Third time this week... :-k

Why, I remember back in the day when you just wore a hat!?? Now it's a publicity stunt!

These kids today....that one looks like it's about to sprout legs and run off! #-o

:P :whip:

PS: Count 'em off, gentlemen, and you too, John! 49 posts comprise a page, and the 50th post starts a new page. Or count 'em back if it doesn't make you fall asleep. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Okie doke, let's steer this back to topic. [-X

3000 posts is nice, but when a lot of them have nothing to do with a new Penman hat arrival or showing hats that have already seen, many of them over and over again, it's not exactly a record breaking event. Where are all the new acquisitions? :-k

If we went through and deleted all the driftwood, I bet half of these pages would disappear. ;)

Kidding, sort of....but let's get it back on the rails if you don't mind. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Michaelson wrote:
If we went through and deleted all the driftwood, I bet half of these pages would disappear. ;)

Kidding, sort of....but let's get it back on the rails if you don't mind. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Actually that would be a wonderful service. It would make reading through longer threads much more enjoyable. I've even gone back to some of my off topic post and edited them to a single period as a curtesy.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If someone has the time to do it, we sure will. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I think that this thread has become more than get a hat, then post it, but about the comradery that develops when people have some interests in common. And to some degree, the same sentiment applies in threads where the author is naturally curious about something, and just wants to discuss the subject with other members. I think it is as important to enjoy the "hobby" as fans with others who share a common interest. Maybe not each and every post is stricktly about a hat or a jacket, but apparently this is where the rub enters the picture sometimes? I know that in the past, others have called out members, but the human element plays a factor in this forum, as it has been stated many times in the past: "...come for the gear, stay for the people..." otherwise we might as well just be looking at a database. JMO. By now, we've all seen countless Wested's and AB's, etc., the difference is what it means to him or her personally, at that moment. To some degree, you sort of share in someone's victories and defeats in real time. Some of my fond memories in this forum have been in thinking back on when certain members were new, and how they grew, etc. as members. There has been a progression and friendships have been a part of that process.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Scott, last time, back on topic. This is not up for debate, nor was it an invitation for further 'conversation'.

In case you have forgotten, these areas WERE created to be 'data bases'.

Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

M, you can shut it down if you like but I think daren posted a new hat he got from me and Nick posted a year old raiders hat of mine. I think both of them could have posted in new threads but why bother making more threads. Which ever way you want to go is fine by me. It's your bar. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

John, at least Daren and Nick were keeping to topic. Daren's post was 3 weeks ago, as a matter of fact. Hasn't anyone else received a Penman more recently than that? Anyway, that's not what the problem is here....

It's the 'high-fiving' over the 3000th post that caught our attention. It became clear this thread had become a matter of quantity rather than quality. In examining these pages today, one mod even stated that this thread has been pruned once before for this problem.

In scrolling back through all 60 pages it was discovered there was a lot more chaff than wheat, and that eats up server space.

Once someone has time, probably over the Holidays, this will be cleaned out and the 'meat of the matter' will be left for members to read through.

This thread was supposed to give folks opportunities to see the hats made by Penman Hat co., and possibly come to a decision to buy one based on photos and customer recommendation.

The fedora section, as well as the other gear specfic sections, were set up to discuss topics that were/are gear related. It was never intended to be a 'chit-chat' social area. That's why the areas like Lao Che and the Scrapbook section were created. Those areas are the best venue's for this kind of activity, and have been used that way since they were originally opened.

Back on topic, folks. Otherwise, as John mentions, it may be time to close this down if that simple request can't be followed.

Regards! Michaelson
Georgia Steve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Steve »

Just thought I would share a few pics of my rabbit felt - Sahara CS travel hat. John has made a wonderful hat.
  When I ordered this hat I didn't know what color ribbon I wanted, so I left it up to him.
The color that he used is what really makes this hat look so great, and check out the bow, it has just a touch of Indy brown in there. I just love everything about this hat, the feel of the felt is soft, and the color combo of the hat and ribbon all came together to make this a GREAT looking hat.

Thanks John :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Wow! A very beautiful piece of work with a very distinct look to it.
Great bow design. I love seeing what happens when folks leave certain artistic decisions to John's judgement... We get to see some really neat touches as a result.
Congrats, GS!
:)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

That's a beaut! Love the ribbon against the sahara...Another piece of art John!

Ian

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

I love seeing new and original Indy hats. I found this color beautiful, great choice!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have a Sahara AB and I am a huge fan of the color. I really like the color combo on yours. Is the ribbon wider than the standard Indy ribbon?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I beleive it's 1 3/4.
Georgia Steve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Steve »

Thanks guys :TOH:
John you are right. I measured the ribbon at 1 3/4
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

How does that compare to the Indy width?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Unless I am mistaken the Indy ribbon width is 1 1/2". W>
Georgia Steve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Steve »

I think the Indy ribbon is 1 1/2" also. :TOH:
The wider ribbon and color is what really makes this hat. :)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Georgia Steve wrote:I think the Indy ribbon is 1 1/2" also. :TOH:
The wider ribbon and color is what really makes this hat. :)

...and I thought John made it... :lol:

Ian
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

WOW Georgia Steve what a BEAUTIFUL hat!! :clap: regards
Stones
Georgia Steve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Steve »

...and I thought John made it...
I guess John had a little to do with it :lol:
WOW Georgia Steve what a BEAUTIFUL hat!! regards
Stones
hulkamad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hulkamad »

Now, that is class!
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

A beautiful hat, sir. You wear it well.