Japan version Smith & Wesson N-frame M1917 Hand Ejector

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

The Man with the Hat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Man with the Hat »

I got this a while back, before you could get these in the USA. This is the Japanese version with Indiana Jones artwork on the box.

It came with plastic grips which I replaced with original vintage wood grips

Here it is compared to a .38 model gun which I posted about in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39520. The frame is larger on the N series and the barrel has a noticeably larger diameter.

As for model guns, in my opinion the Hartford S&W Victory model is a little better quality with more metal and heavier parts but the Tanaka Works hand ejector is screen accurate for Indiana Jones.

ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Japan version Smith & Wesson N-frame M1917 Hand Ejector

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Those both look real nice. I'd be happy to take the Tanaka off your hands for you :lol:

I'm a little curious, did you have any problems getting those into the US? Since they don't have an orange tip it seems like it would be easy for a customs inspector to decide to pull them. I might have to try and pick one of those up next time I'm in Japan since they don't have that blasted orange tip.
The Man with the Hat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Man with the Hat »

did you have any problems getting those into the US?
I had it mailed to me. It is a risk that all model gun dealers warn buyers about. I guess I was lucky that is wasn't confiscated in customs. I've bought a number of model guns from overseas but I've never had one confiscated in the mail. If I buy another one I hope it never happens as they are not cheap.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Hmm, I don't know if I'm that lucky. Thanks for the info though. I wonder how much it would freak out the ground staff in Japan if I put it in my checked luggage? :-k
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

If you do decide to get one of those Tanka's with the orange tip, make sure that you do not gently rub the affected area with a rag dipped in acetone. It will completely remove the orange tip!!

You definately don't want that to happen!!!! ;)
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Hm :-k I better be careful then, there's an awful lot of acetone on hand. I wouldn't want anything to accidentally happen. :-
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Yep, gotta be careful around that stuff. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Does anyone know if these are still being sold in Japan? I have a toy Gun shop near my house in Tachikawa and this would be a pretty cool thing to be able to get a hold of....

日本人の皆様へ、こういうの銃はまだ日本で売ってるでしょうか?誰かご存じなら教えて下さいね! :TOH:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I'd go in and check. I did a search to see if I could get one cheaper direct form Japan :rolling: . Boy, oh boy has the yen grown stronger since I lived there. ](*,)
But back to the point, I found several online Japanese hobby shops that were still carrying it, so I should think that if your local shop doesn't have it that they could order it for you. It might, however, given the current exchange rate, be cheaper to order it from Todd's even when you factor in the shipping. I have no idea if it would make it through customs or if you'd be slapped with a fat duty charge though. Good luck.
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Hi Ben, ShanghaiJack is correct.
You can still get them through online stores and probably at local stores as well.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

There's one listed on gunbroker.com but the asking price is pretty steep.

Also, it's beautiful and I want one.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Oildale,

I think he was talking about a replica S&W 1917 made by the Japanese company, Tanaka, not the real firearm.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yup...I was asking about the Tanaka versions, since firearms are illegal in Japan...

Yuji and Shanghai, thanks for the help! Something to do for the weekend then! And yes Jack, you're right about the Yen being so insanely strong that I could probably spend less getting it from Todds....I'll have a look and a think... :TOH:

Regards.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

The auction is for a Tanaka Works replica, complete with the same box as pictured above.
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Hey Ben, if you're looking for an online store, perhaps you can try this one.
マグナムショップむげん
Tanaka now has three more versions of the M1917, Steel Finish, Vintage Blue, and Parkerizing.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thanks Yuji!

Quite a large selection! They have the "Steel Finish" version at the shop in Tachikawa...Cool stuff! Although a little outta my range right now...Maybe next month!

Thanks for the link mate! :TOH:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Sorry Oildale, I saw the URL and assumed it was an auction for the real deal.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

This is the gun I talked Tanaka into making and I sent them all the reference materials/castings/markings, etc. We exchanged technical drawings for maybe a year.

They showed me the box art, and I told them NO NO NO for the US. So, mine have the same box without the picture of HF.

They are beautiful guns. I wish PFC guns were more popular in the US. I can't get any other dealers interested in these. I'd like to see the other finishes. It will be a while before I need to re-order! I still have about 5 cases of these.

I did a video of this gun you'd like to see: http://youtu.be/BHNKwgc4-tY
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Hey Todd...

Yeah, I'd seen your videos...That was one of the reasons I started thinking about getting one out here without the coloured barrels...I'm still sad that no one else jumped on the Webley idea for Tanaka..I still happen to think THAT would make a FAR better seller than the S&W for them...Since it's a far rarer gun....But hey...If support isn't there, what can be done...

Regards.. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Just an add-on...I recently managed to find one of the Tanaka Works 1917 S&W's for myself...Thought it would be nice to share some photos with people here who might be wanting one from Todd...They are rather lovely models actually..

Here are the pics..

And while the handle is the original pack-type and so not as cool looking as the one above, it's decent enough for a model kit! Although I may replace it sometime if the chance arises...

Regards..
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Very nice, I sure wish I had picked one of these up while I was still living in Japan. Nice box too! It's amazing what goes on in Asia in regards to IP.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yeah...The box threw me, since you'd never get something like that past Lucasfilm...But, I also think on the whole it's not a bad thing, since it links back to their property and highlights that, rather than "stealing" from it's glory...But how far the legalities go is beyond me..Japan is rather off the beaten record as far as most "general" laws go (for instance, I was fired for being Diabetic, when they knew in advance that I was....Something which would be illegal back home in the UK....And is very close to illegal here, but not so I guess...)...Funky...

It's a lovely model though...Heavy and well constructed...Very solid feel to it...It's a REAL shame that they put the Webley Green idea on the backburner..THAT would have been a GREAT model gun to see...Ah well..
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Wow! It doesn't really surprise me, but that still is absolutely awful. My wife had a really hard time finding a full time job when we moved back to Japan after having lived in the US for a few years. Almost every prospective employer who turned her down told her it was because of her age-she was 36 at the time-or because she had kids :twisted: She finally found a full time job but it was @#$%. We decided after a couple of years that life would be much better for us and the boys if we moved back to the states. Japan is a great country and has a lot of amazing things going for it, but then there's a lot of stuff like this too that just makes you shake your head. Anyways, back on topic, that is a nice gun and it sure would be nice if they decided to do a Webley in the future.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

For them to make the WG, I need to send them complete resin castings of all of the gun parts. They have nothing similar to it, so they need the innards too. I could buy a WG to take molds, or perhaps someone could loan/rent one to me. Or, if someone has a set of resin castings...

There's no guarantee that they will do it even if they have the castings. They have to look at the cost of tooling. If we had commitments for 100 pre-orders it would help.

The S&W, while it is cool to see, was a very bad business move for me. I have $10,000 worth of inventory on my shelf that I'll probably never recoup. I ordered 100 of those guns, and still have 75 on the shelf after all these years. I can't discount them, because they cost me nearly $150 each, since they were a custom product. Most of their revolvers run $135 - $200 dealer's cost. How these Japanese stores are selling them for $175 is baffling.

Ah, well. I could have used the money for boots...
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

As a retired retail dealer it seem it would still be a good idea to discount them and move the inventory out the door. Even if you break even you are pulling the money back in. Cash flow is the name of the game. The selling at a lower price might give you opportunity to use that money for something that would prove more profitable.

I still find it amazing that you've only sold 25 out of 100 purchased. This hobby must be smaller then I ever imagined.

Gailen David
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Gailen, thanks for the advice. That is probably the best strategy. I do need that money for other products. I can't afford to have it sitting on the shelf for 10 years.

I find it amazing too that there has not been a higher demand, considering the number of threads here about where to find a replica revolver.

UPDATE: I re-checked and it looks like I have 50 left. Still... 50 x $150... that's still $7500 sitting there.

-Todd
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Puppetboy wrote:How these Japanese stores are selling them for $175 is baffling.

Are you sure they're selling them that cheaply? The last time I checked, with the current exchange rate, you had the far cheaper price, even if you included the shipping price to Japan. Maybe you should try selling some to customers in Japan? You might be able to move more of them without discounting them.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Jack, I was remembering what similar Tanaka models (like the M10) sold for on the web a few years back. I haven't checked to see what the 1917 sells for at other dealers. What do they charge?

-Todd
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I don't know about the physical retailers in Japan, but most online Japanese shops are selling it for between $250-$350 dollars. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Mine was 18,000 yen...About 230 dollars more or less....

Speaking honestly, I doubt that people in Japan would buy guns from abroad since there's the issue of getting them in, paying for it, and having to deal with any problems in English as well which is usually more than enough to stop people looking outside of Japan for online buying...Just a trend that is rather strong here..It's fractionally cheaper to buy from Todds, but it's not cash and that may also be a stopper for buyers here...It's worth considering...

The yen is insanely strong right now against both the Dollar and the Pound...So the guns are cheaper bought from abroad...But I honestly can't see people here choosing that as an option over going to the shop and picking one up in person..(Same reasons I did I guess? Credit is a pain and the money is only slightly higher..)...

I am rather amazed that only 50 were sold though...That's rather strange? I guess people in the US don't like the idea of "toy guns" (That need to be "safe") when they also could buy the real thing (a lot more, but also firing...), so perhaps that's been enough to stop people asking?

The Webley would be great...Really..Tanaka have nothing like that..And it's a classic gun design...The "Gun that shot Rasputin" as well eh? Secret Agent Issue in the inter-war periods...I reckon there's more than a few decent selling points...Only 100 people were needed too? Wow...I can't understand why we didn't hit that number...100? That's the number of people here in an hour! Come on guys! ;)

Regards..
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

I'm all for it!
I wrote to Tanaka that there is a big demand for the WG, but got no response from them so far. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

fifthchamber wrote: I guess people in the US don't like the idea of "toy guns" (That need to be "safe") when they also could buy the real thing (a lot more, but also firing...), so perhaps that's been enough to stop people asking?
Bingo! :M: :tup:

Guns that 'fire' are an investment, and only go up in value as time passes. Toy guns do not.

Nothing against Todd's model here, but why should I pay $150 for a toy when I can pay the same price for a firing and excellent condition Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38 Special locally?

For $250 I could pick up either a Smith model 13 .357 mag in excellent condition, or a model 28 Highway Patrol Smith in good to excellent condition.

That's one reason why I've never purchased a good whip. For the same money I can purchase a REALLY nice revolver that will only gain in value, where a good 'roo whip will not, or at least not as quickly as a finely made revolver, let alone maintain that value.

It's all a matter of what your priorities are in terms of purchase and projected value here in the U. S. If you're only wanting a costume piece, then these are the ones you want, but as explained above, there IS a reason folks aren't paying that price for an non-firing example.

:TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Michaelson wrote:
fifthchamber wrote: I guess people in the US don't like the idea of "toy guns" (That need to be "safe") when they also could buy the real thing (a lot more, but also firing...), so perhaps that's been enough to stop people asking?
Bingo! :M: :tup:

Guns that 'fire' are an investment, and only go up in value as time passes. Toy guns do not.

Nothing against Todd's model here, but why should I pay $150 for a toy when I can pay the same price for a firing and excellent condition Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38 Special locally?

For $250 I could pick up either a Smith model 13 .357 mag in excellent condition, or a model 28 Highway Patrol Smith in good to excellent condition.

That's one reason why I've never purchased a good whip. For the same money I can purchase a REALLY nice revolver that will only gain in value, where a good 'roo whip will not, or at least not as quickly as a finely made revolver, let alone maintain that value.

It's all a matter of what your priorities are in terms of purchase and projected value here in the U. S. If you're only wanting a costume piece, then these are the ones you want, but as explained above, there IS a reason folks aren't paying that price for an non-firing example.

Regard! Michaelson
Yup, I was considering getting one of the replicas, but have instead decided to put those funds aside and save to get the real deal instead.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You live in Kentucky now. You're in a great area to find the real deal now. Just start stalking the local small town gunshops and make yourself known to them.

A lot of times they have these Smith HE's or Colt 1917's held back in inventory unless someone asks for one. They were popular models carried in the back pocket of many a coal miner and railroad man during the turbulent 1920's and 30's.

Heck, even one of my great uncles on my Dad's side wrote of carrying one in his car during the 30's when he carried the mail in Southern Ohio. He even had to pull it on a would-be mail robber when the guy stepped in front of him with a 2x4 trying to steal the mail. Needless to say, when the guy saw that .45 caliber muzzle aimed between his eyes, he dropped the board and ran for his life. :lol:

I wish I knew where that gun went in the family, but who knows. :(

Anyway, back to the topic at hand..... ;)

Regards! Michaelson
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Thanks, M, for the story and the advice. See the wise members still listen :TOH:
It'll be a while before I have the funds for it, but I think I'll start checking out the local shops now to let them know what I'm looking for.

My grandpa's old revolver went missing for some time after he passed, but we later found out that my dad's youngest brother had acquired it. One of my mom's uncles had a great, old revolver. The last time I saw it, I was too young to take notice of the exact make and model and unfortunately, like your great uncle's gun, it has since disaappeared.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

If you find the real correct S&W gun, with unaltered barrel at a gun show expect to pay $1000 to $1200 for it. That's from a dealer. I'm not talking about lucking out on one from a non- knowledgeable dealer. I own many real hand guns but I wanted a replica of what he carried in "Raiders." Everything I do is not based on it being an investment. If that was the case I wouldn't be buying any of this stuff. This a hobby.

Gailen David
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, they are sold for that at gun shows. I know, as I was a member of the Ohio Gun Collectors for many years, and sold guns with a BATF license as well. I've attended many shows, and know that dealers are quite 'proud' of what they have for sale, and their prices reflect that 'pride'. You'll find the same thing at watch shows. :lol:

I've seen them for sale in unaltered condition for anywhere from $300 to $800 in local small gun shops in recent years, and they know full well what they have in hand. Gun collectors are looking for semi-autos rather than revolvers these days, so it keeps prices down on wheel guns when you go to the shops.

It's all in where you look and who you know, just like anything else. No luck involved. Many times gun shows can be the WORSE place to look for items, especially if you're looking for a bargain. ;)

Gun collecting is also a hobby, but one that can add up to investment gains in the future. This hobby, on the other hand, does not.

Personally, when the numbers start to climb like that, I'd prefer to see it going toward something that will give my family a return on investment if/when I pass on.

Not saying looking at it either way is right or wrong. They both have their merits.

To each his own. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Yes, your right. if your looking for an investment this is not the place to be. But if you've made wise investments in life then you can afford to throw your money away on this stuff. The way I feel is if something happens to me my wife, for all I care, can take this stuff and throw it in the trash. I've got about 7 or 8 grand of this stuff and I'd be lucky to recop 3 grand if I had to sell it. I was and am a military Antique Dealer for the last 45 years and in fact use to fly in often to buy at the very gun show you alluded to.

Gailen David
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Then you definitely know what I'm talking about at the Columbus OGCA show. You could find a Ruger Super Blackhawk at the show for over $800 and the dealer wouldn't blink when you kicked about it, yet you could buy the exact same gun at a local gun store right there IN Columbus for $350! :shock:

CRAZY dumb, and folks were PAYING that TOO!! #-o

That's one of the reasons I finally dropped my membership....that and the fact they moved the show from Columbus to Cleveland. That was WAY too far to drive to see items at those inflated prices.

But 'nuff 'talking shop'..... :lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I hear what you're saying, M, but you are an avid gun collector. When's the last time you went out in "full gear"? For many of the guys and gals here, that's what its about. Many Indy Gear folks aren't gun collectors, some have never owned a real firearm nor do they wish to. And for those who wear their whole get-up to public parties, celebrations, conventions, etc don't want to carry a real firearm in public.

Most things about this hobby fall into the "replica" category - clothing, gear, weapons, etc. The originals were custom made - even the S&W. Look at the business Denix has done for decades. Some of those replicas run up to $500. I've seen airsoft replicas in the thousands. It doesn't make sense to me, either. But the S&W does make sense if you want a replica exactly like what was on screen and don't want to spend $1000 customizing an antique gun.

I think you have an eye for fine things, and you see things like hats, jackets, shoes in terms of ROI - how long will it last, etc. I don't see you being in the market for an upscale Han Solo blaster...

Anyway, you might be right about the real firearm/replica firearm thing. I wonder how many people opt for a real gun instead.

-Todd
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said, Todd, it's different strokes for different folks. :lol:

A replica revolver is so far down on that list to me, I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to these threads. I leave them to the folks who are pursuing this particular item. I am not.

The 'Han Solo Blaster' probably isn't the best example, as it's a complete fantasy piece. Now, if such a thing really existed in real life, and we were comparing it to a replica blaster, and the difference in price were not that far apart, I'd still offer the same opinion. Otherwise, you're right, I'm not at all interested in a replica Han Solo blaster of any kind. I'm not into Star Wars that much anyway. ;)

I can completely understand quality items like, well, EVERYTHING else in the world of Indy gear, as they're used, many on a daily basis.....but rarely is the revolver ever pulled out at things like Con's or the like as the administrators get a bit 'antsy' when that happens. That's why they're usually peace-tied (or what ever term they're currently using to wire tie an item into it's holster/scabbard/etc. so it CAN'T be pulled out. ;) ) Most folks go to Cons and the like with empty holsters and are just as happy without as with. Less weight to walk around on your hip, let alone the fact you can't even pull the thing out to show anyone....well, sheesh! :roll:

Let's mention an item that would be closer to your line of business, Todd....you make a LOT Xena items. Most folks I know (and I know a quite a few, as one of my daughters is a blacksmith and armorer) want the real deal in their scabbord when it comes to a convention. Many spend those mentioned thousands on the best steel bladed daggers and matching swords that money can buy. Some are razor sharp, and as close the real deal as possible. Even the fantasy blades are dead on and sharp! They take these items to fairs and conventions, and are peace tied at the door (not at Renn Faires) and they're carrying them. I don't know too many (as a matter fact, none personally) who attend these things with a plastic or base metal bladed sword or dagger.

It's all in how you roll.

The only reason I even posted in this thread is because you were lamenting the fact you had sold only 50 of your replicas, still had $7500 dollars worth of stock STILL sitting on your shelf, and couldn't figure out why.

I just offered an opinion on that question.....again. Nothing more. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I think if the UK laws weren't so hit and miss in regards to Toy Guns you'd be able to sell a lot more over there...Since the UK doesn't have the same freedom to own firearms thing as the US....However, the laws being what they are, it makes importing guns like those you sell hard to do, and hit and miss as regards legalities....I'm aware of some of the same issues, as I train in a martial arts school that uses live steel blades for "Batto" practice...And if I ever choose to return home I'll need more licenses than I can count to be able to show that the blade ISN'T for cutting people up in random street attacks (Because, if I WAS a criminal, I'd use the best blade possible, rather than a cheap, find-anywhere piece of rubbish I could lose quickly....Moronic)..Which makes the prospect VERY far from my list of things I wish to do in the future....

I think you're right as regards the "some people just want the toys to carry and that's all thing", but I think in the US, since it's easier to own a real gun (once you're old enough) it'll always be the second best choice....You could make sales selling to kids, but then kids rarely have that kind of moolah, and the coloured tips don't help I'd guess....

Which means it's a rather sticky position all in all...What you'd need is a country with low laws regarding importation, and a general ban on firearms and that combination is always going to be rather hard to find...Japan seems to be the "bermuda triangle" in that respect, since guns are banned, but toy guns are allowed to be realistic....(Baffling really)....So many people buy THOSE rather than hunting down illegal (real) firearms...But that doesn't really help sales for Todds....

Perhaps a slight discount for sales to the UK? (Can they even be sent there?) Might help you shift some more? :-k
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

Don't forget that many European countries have very strict anti-gun laws.
In Belgium and France, most cap guns are called "pistolets d'alarme" in french, you can buy those guns localy but you can not import them because they have to be tested by the FN and Saint-Etienne armories before.
Unfortunately, in many countries, the same goes for airsoft guns. They are tolerated, you can buy them localy but again no import. You can of course ask your airsoft dealer for a specific gun but they will most likely turn to Tanaka directly to get it.
Also, something that looks like a pistol with a working mechanism and with "send from the USA" written on the box, is often considered like highly suspicious by customs here in Europe.
In my country for instance guns, airsoft, cap-guns, etc. are strictly forbidden so the only thing I can get are resin replicas...
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm planning on buying Todds replica revolver sometime soon.
As nice as it would be to have a "real" one, I simply do not feel comfortable owning a real weapon and would not want to carry it around with me when geared-up.
With the Tanaka replica, you have the fun of being able to "play" with it - fire it virtually anwhere you want without killing someone or causing the cops to put the smackdown on you.
If I were a gun enthusiest, a real one would be the only choice but Todd went to great pains to bring us a product that is for everyone else.
I really hope he can sell his stock. It actually hurts MY feelings that he invested so much and go so little back.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Thanks, generalFrosty, you are too kind.

BTW, Tanaka tells me they are doing an airsoft version too. Is anyone interested in that? I can buy those by the single case instead of 10 cases...

-Todd
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Puppetboy wrote:Thanks, generalFrosty, you are too kind.

BTW, Tanaka tells me they are doing an airsoft version too. Is anyone interested in that? I can buy those by the single case instead of 10 cases...

-Todd
I think I'll stick with the cap version.
Seeing as how you gotta get rid of so many, it never hurts to help!
I watched your videos of the gun on your website and really enjoyed them.
Can you tell me how much louder the gun sounds in person?
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

generalFROSTY wrote:I'm planning on buying Todds replica revolver sometime soon. As nice as it would be to have a "real" one, I simply do not feel comfortable owning a real weapon and would not want to carry it around with me when geared-up.
I wouldn't recommend carrying a real firearm while geared-up under any conditions...unless you were going to a live-fire event. (On the other hand, I suggest you get comfortable before the Zombie Apocalypse.) ;)
With the Tanaka replica, you have the fun of being able to "play" with it - fire it virtually anwhere you want without killing someone or causing the cops to put the smackdown on you.
Again, not recommended, unless by "virtually anywhere" you mean a controlled area where someone won't panic and call the cops on you. Like an event, or your backyard, or Todd's shop.
If I were a gun enthusiest, a real one would be the only choice but Todd went to great pains to bring us a product that is for everyone else.
I'm a gun enthusiast, and eventually I'll purchase a real M1917. I'm also going to buy one of Todd's PFCs, for the reasons you mentioned. And for now, I have a rubber replica for impressioning purposes. Different tools for different jobs.

(Please don't feel like I'm coming down on you. I'm just suggesting discretion, because a lot of people are afraid of guns and will drop a dime on you in a heartbeat. And responding cops will smack you down first and give you a stern talking-to about your very realistic replica revolver later.)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

-Todd

Yes, depending on price.
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

-Todd
Like everyone else, interested depending on the price. Do you have any specs on it? Pegasus gas system or in the handgrip? 6 shots or more?