Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by RaidersBash »

It's a small price to pay for a restock fee to try another one and see. You would be surprised that a size up might actually be more what you're looking for. There is no reason that a guy shouldn't be able to throw a thick sweater on under his Indy jacket and wear it in the winter (MoTB?), and have it still look all together normal if he was just wearing a t-shirt on a cool summer night.

I suggest going up a size because I doubt you could wear a cuff / shawl neck sweater with that one.
Last edited by RaidersBash on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

RaidersBash wrote:It's a small price to pay for a restock fee to try another one and see. You would be surprised that a size up might actually be more what you're looking for. There is no reason that a guy shouldn't be able to throw a thick sweater on under his Indy jacket and wear it in the winter (MoTB?), and have it still look all together normal if he was just wearing a t-shirt on a cool summer night.

I suggest going up a size because I doubt you could wear a cuff neck sweater with that one.
Yeah, I'm in agreement there as well. I think after re-reading several posts here (many noting that shrinkage is more common than stretching), trying the jacket on with several different types of shirts, and bugging my wife over and over for input, that the next size up would be best. The picture I posted actually isn't the best, and doesn't really show the fit as it looks in person... plus I'm expanding more than shrinking these days. I'm thinking that even though I'm leaning towards having a better fitting jacket instead of targeting the raiders look exactly, it will still have a good raiders looks with the larger size considering all of these factors. I'm probably being overly neurotic about it, but considering the week I've had (contract on a house is falling through, wife's car is back in the shop, etc), I want the money spent on the jacket to have the perfect outcome. And I really do love how the jacket looks and feels... it's great leather and a great design overall.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

APL wrote: I want the money spent on the jacket to have the perfect outcome. And I really do love how the jacket looks and feels... it's great leather and a great design overall.
On an Indy jacket forum, those words ring a bit like, "just pour me one this last time only" for a AAA member. "Perfect" is a very elusive notion. :TOH:

That said, a well fitting Todd's is pretty darn close.
Pwrsrce
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Pwrsrce »

Finally pulled the trigger on my jacket this past Wednesday...It shipped the same day, and should be here on Monday!

And although I am dropping weight, I'm still on the...ahem...larger end of the spectrum. So I will post some pics to show what the XXL looks like. :)

Jason
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

The Mediums seem to be sold out!!! ](*,)

I hope that's not the case already and that Todd just has something going on with site updates (it happens).

Although my size Large Bantu fits so well that maybe I could go that route...but doubtful.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

A few more pics of my new Todd's Standard in natural light -

This one really shows some of the great texture that's inherent in these jackets -

Kind regards,
Craig
babyjoe
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by babyjoe »

What size of the new runs would be best for me? I'm thinking M myself.
Chest 38", waist 30", 6ft, 156lbs
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Medium sounds right. I would say: 38-40 Medium & 42-44 Large.

Nice pics of the jacket, Craig. ;)
Pwrsrce
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Pwrsrce »

Ohhh man...My XXL arrived from Todd's today, and it is amazing!

After reading other threads, I have always wondered if Todd's jacket would be too thin for my taste. And being on the larger end of the spectrum, I was also a little antsy about the fit. Well, this jacket easily passed on both counts.

The weight is perfect...Not too heavy, but not too thin either...Buttery soft, with nice grain...It feels like an older, broken in jacket right out of the box.

The size was nearly perfect as well. The arms were about an inch too long, but that's it. It fits everywhere else just as I would want it to. I normally wear a size 50, but I've recently lost about 20 lbs. I stand somewhere between 5'10 and 5'11...42-44 waist.

I wil post some pics tomorrow, but I just had to drop by and sing the praises of Todd and his latest batch of jackets. I honestly don't think it could be any better.

If anyone is on the fence about these, I would say go for it.

Jason
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

for fun, here is another picture of me from the fedora section where I showed of the hat but I was waering my old pattern XXL-A and thought I could throw it into the mix.

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Any volunteers to make the comparison between Todd's jacket and Wested Hero?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Pwrsrce wrote:Ohhh man...My XXL arrived from Todd's today, and it is amazing!

The weight is perfect...Not too heavy, but not too thin either...Buttery soft, with nice grain...It feels like an older, broken in jacket right out of the box.

Jason
These characteristics of the new jacket differentiate it from the others. It feels like a well worn jacket of many adventures already. Todd has a good eye for capturing the essence of the jacket. Usually, when I get one of these jackets, it is lined up for the water treatment, but I've not had the urge to do that to this jacket.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Got my new XL jacket today and it appears to be from the new batch. As soon as I took it out and put it on my wife was amazed. She said it looked like it was already broken in but in perfect condition, she couldn't believe how soft the leather is and how great it looked. It fits better than any jacket I have ever owned, I'm really glad I went up to the XL size.

Thanks to the Todd's staff for everything with this order; I really appreciate your patience with my neurosis! And Kristen was an amazing help with getting the jacket out to me before our trip this weekend!

Pics coming soon...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Really cool! 8) Glad it worked out that way!
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Texan Scott wrote:Really cool! 8) Glad it worked out that way!
Thanks, me too... I was a bit nervous that I would need to go custom and it's a tad long, but I think that's perfect... especially since with all the rain we've been getting it may shrink up a touch.

Here's a couple pics:

http://techdimension.net/images/side2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't mind the odd angle on the hat, that shot makes it look very tapered, but it's not really....

Thoughts?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

That one looks WAAAAAAAAAAY better! :clap:

And it will shrink up some here and there in the rain.

Good call. :TOH:
FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

Anybody know what the size equivalent of the old XXL-A is in this new batch??? I'm a 44 chest...
I'm really loving the texture on this new run and have waited and waited for the details to be fixed...!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

For the new run, it's a Large. These details have been 'fixed', let me tell ya. ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I’ve never seen a jacket that so completely nails the look of the Raiders screen jacket, as does Todd’s Standard run of jackets. You might possibly have that one thing, such as a prop., or other item of the gear that you regretted selling in the past? The one jacket that I have regretted letting go of was a 2008 edition of the Todd’s Standard jacket. Just recently, Dan from CA put one up for sale, and I happened to stick it out long enough to snag it. I’ve noticed that you do not see quite as many for sale on Ebay as you used to, of the older run and undoubtedly, these will become rarer, pricey and even more difficult to come by as time goes on (so if you find a good deal, better snatch it!). I just wanted to thank Dan for selling this jacket, if you are a member here? Anyway, here is my new, vintage, what appears to be an XXL-A, after a good water treatment, one jacket that I have missed a great deal. This time it is a keeper… ;)

ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Lookin' good Tex! That jacket just screams Raiders. I keep hearing about the older runs of Todd's jackets. Are they that much better than the current models? As cheap as they are, I might have to pick one up just to see what it's like in person.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Notice a previous post, as I tried to chronicle the different offerings from Todd's in the past, just for perspective. The older run of jackets are the jackets that are represented by the photo on Todd's website and also he uses this photo on his Ebay auctions. As Weston has demonstrated and postrd each year, yeah-these are light weight and thin lambskin jackets, but they hold up. I've learned that not only is reproducing the look about the accuracy of the specs., the cut of the jacket, drape, color of the leather, etc., but how it fits on the person. The older and newer run just has that "X" factor, that had previously seemed vertually unattainable. It just IS, and is its own lightning in the bottle.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

Texan Scott wrote:For the new run, it's a Large. These details have been 'fixed', let me tell ya. ;)
Wow really?? is the difference that marked?
Would you happen to know the back length on a new batch large?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Yeah. As we go forward, his sizes have progressively moved toward standardized/dept. store OTR sizes, I've noticed. This Large jacket of the new run is 25"~25 1/4" back length, which hits me just right, ie right at the the pocket flaps.

fyi: also the differences in jacket patterns will cause variations in back length. With a Raiders jacket, typically I need around 25-25 1/2". With a Last Crusade jacket-different pattern, I need 27".
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Mine arrived today and I am very happy to report that I'm just instantly in love with this jacket!
:D :D :D
Scott, you're right... This thing is so completely RAIDERS it's almost ridiculous!
:) :tup:

I got home from work at 5:00 p.m. and opened the box and put it on... It's 5 hours later and I still don't want to take it off! It seems like with each passing hour it's simultaneously relaxing & conforming to my build to become a jacket thats all that much MORE comfortable on me.
This thing just feels like such a natural skin to wear... I couldn't be more impressed.
It's a complete home run by Todd, in my opinion.
\:D/

It kills me to say, however, that I'm not sure if my schedule this weekend will afford me enough time to get some photos taken and post 'em here...
I WANT to, mind you... I just don't know if I can make it happen.
As soon as I can manage it, though... I promise I WILL.

Man, I'll tell you this: If I had the extra money available, I'd order a second ("back-up") one of these RIGHT NOW just so I could sleep soundly at night knowing I'll always have one of these! Just a beautiful, beautiful Indy Jacket!
:clap:

THANKS, Todd (and THANKS, Scott)!
:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That's what I'm talkin' aboot! :P

Mitch, great news! I was wondering when it was going to make its way up there? Todd has something addictive built into this new run of jackets, I think! Put it on and then you cant take it off.

Is this what you were looking for, Mitch...? ;)

APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

In a devastating turn of events, I have discovered a tear in my new jacket that wasn't there the day before. I was at Walmart loading my kids new winter clothes into the car (in light of the half foot of snow that came over the weekend), and found that the right pocket was torn near the top, inside the flap. Pics below to illustrate, since I'm not sure how best to describe where....

I emailed Todd to see what they recommend, but was wondering what others here would do in such a situation. Is it possible to repair? Of course, since the tear sticks out slightly when the pocket flap is shut, no matter what I do will be visible.... my wife has experience in the clothing industry (having run a shop for her parents that specialized in dress making) and she recommends that we undo the seam for the lining, inside the jacket, and sew it from the inside to keep the stitches less noticable. Then, use a type of glue on the outside to seal it and keep the tear from expanding. There will be about 2 cm of glued tear sticking out, and some slight bunching of the leather in the general area, but then at least it would be wearable.

Any other thoughts? I won't be touching it until I hear back from Todd so that I know what they would recommend. Of course, since I've had the jacket for only two weeks and it has torn so easily, it may have to spend a lot more time on the coat rack rather than out "in the field" as it were.

trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I noticed on a jacket I received from Todd just a couple of weeks ago that there was a tear underneath the back collar. Since it is not visable when wearing, I just decided to live with it. I really think someone should be checking these items over before they are shipped. I know stuff happens, especially when your dealing with the amount of purchases Todd experiences.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

trdaggers wrote:I noticed on a jacket I received from Todd just a couple of weeks ago that there was a tear underneath the back collar. Since it is not visable when wearing, I just decided to live with it. I really think someone should be checking these items over before they are shipped. I know stuff happens, especially when your dealing with the amount of purchases Todd experiences.
Thanks for the info.. I was fairly certain that there weren't any noticable tears when I received it; of course there could have been something rather small at the end of the stitching for the pocket that I didn't notice and it grew when I reached into the pocket for cough drops yesterday (we're all sick here too, apparently).
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

APL, I'm horrified to see this. The fix I recommend is a new jacket. I stand behind everything I sell 100%. Tell me what size and I'll have a replacement in the mail this afternoon. You can send the torn one back at your leisure.

I've forwarded your photos and testimony to the factory. We'll ensure this will not be a chronic problem.

-Todd
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I decided since it had the tear to look on the bright side and use it as one of my distressing projects. I must say even with the tear it is one of the most comfortable of my seven jackets. AAAAAnd I'm not sending this baby back!
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Puppetboy wrote:APL, I'm horrified to see this. The fix I recommend is a new jacket. I stand behind everything I sell 100%. Tell me what size and I'll have a replacement in the mail this afternoon. You can send the torn one back at your leisure.

I've forwarded your photos and testimony to the factory. We'll ensure this will not be a chronic problem.

-Todd
Thank you Todd, I'm certainly thrilled to read this, though I wasn't expecting a replacement as I couldn't pin-point what happened, and especially since your staff has been so wonderfully gracious with my sizing neuroses already. :D

I'll send a PM with the info, and again, you have surpassed all of my expectations as a vendor! Thank you! :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:tup: :TOH:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Todd has great customer service and this proves it!
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Wow! That's fantastic news! Glad to see such great customer service in action.

Todd, I love my new jacket and received a ton of compliments the other night! Keep up the amazing work.

Kindest regards,
Craig
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

That's great customer service! If I was in the states, I'd order one of these in a shot.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Todd:
:notworthy:
Fo shizzle
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Way to go Todd!!! :clap:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Any estimate on when another batch of Mediums will be in stock?
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Puppetboy wrote:APL, I'm horrified to see this. The fix I recommend is a new jacket. I stand behind everything I sell 100%. Tell me what size and I'll have a replacement in the mail this afternoon. You can send the torn one back at your leisure.

-Todd
Well, that's it. My next jacket–as soon as funds are available–will be a Todd's. I was debating between it and the Wested Hero, but that amazing customer service deserves rewarding. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Toddus Miraculous Coyleus! :notworthy:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Can anyone with the newest jacket answer a question for me? Where the jacket distresses, what color is the leather underneath? (The answer helps decide my next new jacket purchase.)
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I've said this before I think. Living in Florida I've found the Todd jacket is the perfect weight for cool mornings in the winter. I own eight jackets but Todd's jacket has become my favorite. It is a great light weight jacket for the money. If it fell apart tomorrow I would order another one without hesitation.

Gailen
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Oildale Jones wrote:Can anyone with the newest jacket answer a question for me? Where the jacket distresses, what color is the leather underneath? (The answer helps decide my next new jacket purchase.)

I picked up a jacket for wifey from Todd's latest batch.
I was curious to this question as well, so I distressed a very small patch of her jacket (on the inside of the pocket. shh, don't tell her :-$ ) I'm happy to report that the color of the leather underneath the pigment is light brown.

I'd like to add that the new leather is just amazing! Very soft with the perfect amount of shrunken grain. Wifey's jacket even has some stirations appearing on the right hand chest panel.

If I didn't already have a Bantu Wind, I'd be getting one of these for myself. :tup:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Yes! That's what I wanted to hear. Looks like I'll be giving Todd the business, so to speak.

If he'd just used the right leather on the BW, I wouldn't even be looking at the new jackets. Hey, wait a minute... Why, that sneaky... :x

;)
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I've been out of the loop for a while - how long has Todd's newest jacket been on the market?
My Todd's jacket is nearly two years old now so it must be from his original run.

I read that the 'new' jacket distresses with a brown color underneith - can someone please provide evidence of this.
My Todds distresses with a gray underneith and always wanted the brown instead.

I still wear and love my Todds jacket for warmer weather, but mainly wear my Wested LC for gearing up - but would love to try out a new Todds jacket if it has indeed improved.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The pattern is a bit more relaxed than the older run of jackets from 2008, and the leather is a little thicker, but the jacket really looks and feels the part right out of the box. It many regards, it is improved. It is my understanding that Todd is taking pre-orders, so it will be interesting to see what this iteration will be, of the newest order.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

The color it will have when distressed is the deal maker for me.
If it distresses with a brown or reddish brown then I am sold.
My current Todds distresses in a gray tone.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Woohoo! Just recieved notification that my Medium Todd's jacket has been shipped! Gonna try and do a quick video review when it comes in! Awesome way to start the year!
=P~
Mr. T
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. T »

I would like to know about the stitching on these new Todd's standards. I have a Bantu Wind and paid the extra money for a higher quality one. The tension on the machine upon which my jacket had been sewn was obviously not set correctly. The tension between the upper thread was clearly higher than that on the lower thread when my jacket was sewn, resulting in the part where the two threads "lock," or intertwine, being on the surface of the leather. Not only does this make a weak stitch, but it looks ugly to me. I put fray-check on the segments of interlocking thread to keep them "locked", but then the fray-check turned white, so I removed it with a little alcohol. How is the stitching on the new Todd's standards?

Also, what does "more relaxed" mean? Is this new jacket looser-fitting than the Bantu Wind, which, in my opinion, is already too loose in the waist?

For my last question, is the leather of these new standards thicker and heavier than the Bantu wind, or thinner and lighter?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. You guys all make mail-ordering a lot easier.
Nos402
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nos402 »

So I bought a Todd's standard in 2009. After reading all these posts it's got me wondering if it's worth an upgrade to his newest batch! Opinions? It's not my main jacket (I have a bunch of great coats I rotate around) but do those of you with experience think the difference is enough to warrant selling my old one and getting a new one?

That #### gear itch!