Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: New review of the Improved WPG Indy Shirt (w/pics!)

Post by mrkaboom »

A good looking shirt - you also look in great shape!

MK
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

hey Tundra I'm in the same boat as you. been using the gym regular since the age of 14 and still get there 2-3 times a week! When i was younger i could eat and eat and eat - these days its a case of discipline and denial ha ha!
Anyways keep up the good work with the cold steel as you look well on it my friend.

Ive not been on the site much of late as my son JJ was born last July so ive been a little distracted - the little fella is coming on a storm and my love for Indy has not gone - just on holidays!

You also have a great collection of Indy clobber

MK
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Alright Michael, I'm finally following up to my old post. If you recall, I bought both the M and L hoping to find the perfect fit. The M was way too short in the arms; the L fit great but was a touch too wide in the chest. Solution: I returned the M and took the L to the tailor. Result: Absolutely awesome Indy shirt. Pics to follow!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

First of all, Michael,
You have inspired me to go ahead on the w.p.g. shirt. Yours looks great and great on you. I'm roughly about the same build as you( 6'-2'' and 204lbs.) I think the med. would suit me just fine. Secondly, the thing that persuaded me was the color. I just recently bought another Todd's after seeing your comparison shots in the earlier posts thinking i could play around with adjusting the color with a little dyeing experiment. My new Todd's shirt was the same color as my first run shirt from a couple of years ago, just a tad on the tan side and not yellow. I believe Delorean encountered the same problem several weeks ago. I really love the feel of Todd's shirt, that's why i purchased another. Playing with the color was just part of the fun of having it. Now, is the fabric of w.p.g's shirt equivalent to the poplin cotton of Todd's? To my eye it looks to be somewhat of a stiffer fabric.

jlhampton
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Totally agree. The thicker fabric seems to last longer and it's far more rewarding when you break that bad boy in!
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

As promised...my tailored Size 'L' WPG shirt.

jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Wow!
That looks awesome. The color in these pics are exactly what i've been looking for. The fit even looks great, too. Thanks for posting Dragonlady Jones.

jlhampton
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

No worries. The Large was just right in length, but way too wide. It makes a big difference when you have someone make it fit exactly the way you want...
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Lookin' GREAT, DJ!
:D :tup:

And like jl said, I'm loving the (slight variation of) colors we're seeing in those shots...
Just the slightest variation in lighting can give the WPG a more/less grey/cream/beige hue... and the fact that you're wearing a white tee underneath will make for what I'm sure many Members here will consider to be some very nice (and helpful) contrast.

... And did I mention? It looks real NICE onya!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

D.L. ( And Michael you can chime in on this one too),

Just wondering what the dimensions are on that large. I'm curious how they are cut in relation to the difference between med. and lg.

jlhampton
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I'm about 5'11" and 185lbs. I normally wear a size Large shirt (size 43/44). I initially purchased both a Medium and Large with the intent to return the one that didn't fit. Out of the package, the medium was a good fit in the chest and upper body but the arms were much too short. The Large's arm length was just about perfect, but way too big in the chest and upper body. Well, I loved the color and feel of the fabric so I was determined to make it work. I returned the Medium and took the Large to the Tailor. $20 later I had a shirt that fit just right.

I looked at the website and the dimensions seem to conform to my experience. I will say though, that I'm not good at looking at numbers and translating them into the proper fit - there's just too many variables. I need to try it on to see what works. I would recommend ordering both and returning whichever doesn't fit. WPG was very good about refunding my money in a timely manner. Good luck!
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Mitch LaRue wrote:Lookin' GREAT, DJ!
:D :tup:

And like jl said, I'm loving the (slight variation of) colors we're seeing in those shots...
Just the slightest variation in lighting can give the WPG a more/less grey/cream/beige hue... and the fact that you're wearing a white tee underneath will make for what I'm sure many Members here will consider to be some very nice (and helpful) contrast.

... And did I mention? It looks real NICE onya!
I didn't think of the contrast provided by the T shirt, but good call. Hope that helps someone out...

Oh yeah, and yes, you mentioned that. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tundrarider wrote:Glad the shirts worked out for you! :D

Interesting about the W&G bags they are offering.

This from their website:

"NOW AVAILABLE: We have a limited supply of bags made by Waring & Gilbow and marked W&G. According to legend, bags used in Raiders of the Lost Ark were from this maker."

"According to legend...?" Wonder what that means?

I look forward to hearing about your bag!

Michael :TOH:
Yep, no 'legend' about it, as reported on the main page of Indygear.

http://www.indygear.com/igbag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Well I got mine today (bag not shirt...will start new thread tomorrow when I can get some pics) and it is AWESOME!! Not sure why they have to charge the extra money (take advantage of saps like me? ](*,) ), but I am pleased to say the least. RIGHT off the set of Raiders! :shock:

Travis
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Michael, D.L.J., thanks guys for the sizing info. i remember the sizing chart, but i was curious as to how those related to actual sizes of the shirt. It's too bad we can't just go in the store and try 'em on, right? I might just get both sizes and return the other one. It's probably the only way to know. Thanks again to the both of you.

jlhampton
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

No worries...rock on bro.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Does anyone have a Medium or Medium Tall that can give me some measurements? Sleeve length, neck size, how long it is in the back.... If you want, you can just tell me what size dress shirt you wear, and how the shirt fits in comparison to that. I'm tall, not as tall as some of you, but I need the arm length to be right or else the shirt will be like 70% of my closet: too short.
Like most people, I don't want to order the wrong size, and despite everyone telling me the sizing on the website is accurate I want to double check.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Adventure Dog wrote:Does anyone have a Medium or Medium Tall that can give me some measurements? Sleeve length, neck size, how long it is in the back.... If you want, you can just tell me what size dress shirt you wear, and how the shirt fits in comparison to that. I'm tall, not as tall as some of you, but I need the arm length to be right or else the shirt will be like 70% of my closet: too short.
Like most people, I don't want to order the wrong size, and despite everyone telling me the sizing on the website is accurate I want to double check.
I actually just got a medium/tall about a week ago. I'll give it a shot. The sleeves measure at about 25 inches, BUT - the shoulders are very wide, so that kind of lengthens them. Last time I was measured I came in at a 36/37 sleeve length (which, on the average shirt from stores like Kohls, tend to be slightly too long, so I'd guess I'm more 36 in shirt sleeves?). Anyway, the WPG sleeve is perfect for me.

Back length is... very, very long. :P From the base of the collar I get about 36 inches. Seriously, long. I'm 6'3" and when wearing, it almost comes down to my knees. :o Tucks in nice, though.

Not sure if I'm measuring the collar in the right spot, but I'm getting a smidge under 17 inches.

So, um. I don't often wear dress shirts, but I usually wear a large size in T-shirts, and a medium or large (depending on the company) in polos, if that helps at all. Aside from the wide shoulders, the thing fits me almost perfectly, which is kind of shocking to me since I usually can't find standard off-the-rack sizes with enough sleeve length.

EDIT: All right, this is a really, really crappy quickie pic, but here's me wearing it (over a polo :oops: ) so you can maybe get a better idea?
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Got mine today!!
I was surprised it came so fast as i ordered on Sunday. I was skeptical at first. The color has always been a big deal to me when it comes to s.a. . Under indoor light it wasn't too thrilling at first glance, but i took it out of the bag and put it under the sunlight and BANG!, That's what i was waiting to see. It could use just a little fading and wear and be just right at perfect(for me)
The fit, well, almost perfect. I ordered the lg. regular hoping it wouldn't be too big (almost ordered med and lg, but took the chance) ... I'm gonna have it taken in probably 1/2 inch each side and then it will be done.
It was mentioned that the fabric was a bit stiffer than other offerings, but i compared it to my latest Todd's shirt and it feels identical in weight and texture. I love Todd's shirts, however the color is a little ... well.. french vanilla . It's sort of a light, creamy tan. Needless to say, I really like this WPG color the most , so far. Maybe down the road, I'll get an A.B.... maybe.
Thanks all you WPG owners for all of your input. It helped and I'm satisfied.

jlhampton
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Good deal Mike!
I've been getting that itch lately to get another Indy shirt. My AB has served me well all this time but wanted to get something a TAD more towards the stone color my eyes see on-screen.

BTW, in case I missed it in the replies, what pants are you wearing? They look perfect on you - as does your whole gear setup! I really gotta get updated photos of me in my gear. Every since my Potobucket account was hacked and deleted a few months ago, I haven't been able to reload a thread showing off my new gear...
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

thank you for the update michael.you look pretty awesome in your gear. :TOH:

keith
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Tundrarider wrote:Turns out I’m sorta in between sizes here. The Medium is pretty snug but the Large is too baggy and doesn’t look like an Indy shirt on me; I see Indy’s shirts as being pretty “form fitting.” I’m 6’4” and around 210 lbs. I can get away with wearing the Large with my everyday clothes, but the Medium works way better for me with the Indy gear.

You're 6'4 and 210 pounds? And you wear a medium/long? I'm 5'8, 170 and generally wear a medium long in shirts......makes me wonder what size to order....
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I just received two more WPG shirts. I am 6' and (currently) 210 pounds, with a 46" chest and 36" waist. I wear a 34/35 sleeve. I like long walks by the beach at sunset...

*Ahem.*

I previously bought an XL but I was swimming in it, so at Tundrarider's suggestion, I exchanged it for a Large/Long. After two hot washes and dries, it fit much better but is still too roomy around the middle. So I ordered a Medium/Long and a Large. I have not yet washed them.

Here is the M/L. Looks pretty good, right?

BZZT! This shirt is no match for my _-like lat spread. (High school swimmer, dontchaknow.)

Here is the L. But can it meet the thoracic challenge?

Yes! Looks like we have a winner.

It's going to be cold-water wash and line (or body) dry only. As long as the sleeves don't shrink, I think it won't need tailoring. And if they do, I'll roll them up and have an SoC shirt. (At which point I'll have to fall back on the L/L.) My only gripe is the length, which would only be an issue when untucked, which it will probably never be, so...yeah. But I know how some of you guys like the extra length.

The M/L is going back to WPG, but first I'll take some measurements. I'll also get before-wash/after-wash vitals on the L and post them here. If it helps just one COW member, it will have been worth it. :TOH:
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Dale not many have so many sizes of the same shirt. It would be cool if you made a chart with both before and after was measurements. It will be interesting to see how they match up to WPG's chart, which seems odd to me.

WPG chart
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1846&bc=no
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

lantzn wrote:Dale not many have so many sizes of the same shirt. It would be cool if you made a chart with both before and after was measurements. It will be interesting to see how they match up to WPG's chart, which seems odd to me.
I'll do what I can. I can't cover all the variables so maybe others will join in.
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

Oildale Jones wrote:I just received two more WPG shirts. I am 6' and (currently) 210 pounds, with a 46" chest and 36" waist. I wear a 34/35 sleeve. I like long walks by the beach at sunset...

*Ahem.*

I previously bought an XL but I was swimming in it, so at Tundrarider's suggestion, I exchanged it for a Large/Long. After two hot washes and dries, it fit much better but is still too roomy around the middle. So I ordered a Medium/Long and a Large. I have not yet washed them.

Here is the M/L. Looks pretty good, right?

BZZT! This shirt is no match for my _-like lat spread. (High school swimmer, dontchaknow.)

Here is the L. But can it meet the thoracic challenge?

Yes! Looks like we have a winner.

It's going to be cold-water wash and line (or body) dry only. As long as the sleeves don't shrink, I think it won't need tailoring. And if they do, I'll roll them up and have an SoC shirt. (At which point I'll have to fall back on the L/L.) My only gripe is the length, which would only be an issue when untucked, which it will probably never be, so...yeah. But I know how some of you guys like the extra length.

The M/L is going back to WPG, but first I'll take some measurements. I'll also get before-wash/after-wash vitals on the L and post them here. If it helps just one COW member, it will have been worth it. :TOH:
do you have long arms? sounds like you and i are about the same weight and height.only i'm not built like you are lol. :TOH:

keith
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Tundrarider wrote:Guess I need to hit the pool... :P

:( The pools around here are 40F.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Tundrarider wrote:Guess I need to hit the pool... :P

Naw, I'd say you're good. :)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

kwh wrote:do you have long arms? sounds like you and i are about the same weight and height.only i'm not built like you are lol. :TOH:

keith
About 24.5" from the "knob" of my shoulder to the base of my thumb. (I tried it from collar to wrist but kept getting different numbers.)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

OK, here are some lovely shots that really highlight my postural misalignment. :)

I took all measurements on shirts laid flat on the floor and buttoned to the neck.

I forgot all my HTML so I can't make a table. Mods, feel free to make it pretty.

Medium/Long, pre-wash
A 31.75
B 22.5
C 22.75
D 25
E 34
F 36.5
G 21

Large, pre-wash
A 29
B 24
C 24
D 24.25
E 33
F 34
G 21

Large, post-wash (cold water hand wash, indoor hang dry)
A 28
B 23.75
C 23.75
D 24
E 32
F 33
G 20

Large/Long, post-wash (hot water wash, high heat dry)
A 30.25
B 24
C 24
D 25
E 34.5
F 35
G 21.75
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Dale those are some very interesting numbers. Look how the M-L has some longer lengths then the L-L. That may be why it fits many like a large shirt would. Great info.

One thing doesn't seem right, measurement "E" (collar to shoulder) should be a small number but is larger than "D" (shoulder to wrist).

The chest measurements "C" doubled gives us;
M-L (45.5)
L (48)
L-L (48)

Here's the WPG chart.

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

lantzn wrote:Dale those are some very interesting numbers. Look how the M-L has some longer lengths then the L-L. That may be why it fits many like a large shirt would. Great info.

One thing doesn't seem right, measurement "E" (collar to shoulder) should be a small number but is larger than "D" (shoulder to wrist).
Regarding the numbers, don't forget that the L/L has shrunk.

New post-wash numbers posted. Fixed the D/E confusion.

OK, here's the Large, after hand-washing in cold with a bit of Woolite, and hanging dry indoors.

The sleeves could be a smidge longer, but otherwise it's 98% perfect for me.

I noticed that it lost a little bit of color in the wash water, and that it came out a warmer khaki color than the L/L's cool stone. A product of the wash methods? Different dye lots? Ah, the mysteries...

Outdoors, sunny, fill flash.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

So is the general consensus that these are just cut really strange?
I'd like to get a more stone colored shirt and to my eyes, the WPG looks more stone than the AB shirt.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

generalFROSTY wrote:So is the general consensus that these are just cut really strange?
I'd like to get a more stone colored shirt and to my eyes, the WPG looks more stone than the AB shirt.

Yes definitely it lacks the hint of yellow of other shirts. Under daylight it reminds me of the color of wet drywall mud. I like the color a lot.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

generalFROSTY wrote:So is the general consensus that these are just cut really strange?
I don't know about strange; I think it's just that they're not tapered or fitted at all—which, if you're used to buying/wearing tapered dress shirts, can make for a baggy fit.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

After reading and reading, I finally ordered my first WPG shirt. As noted elsewhere, the sizes seem strange and confusing. I usually wear a 15 1/2 neck 32/33 sleeve. I like slim fit (a la Hugo Boss) but regular fit works fine as well.

That being said, I wanted to compliment WPG on customer service! :tup: When I ordered on line, I noted some of the size info above and how I was worried about the short sleeves on a Med. They emailed me back asking me to confirm my size and sent specs on the M-L for my consideration. Most companies just ship the order and say "thanks" if you're lucky. I was impressed that they wanted me to be happy from the start.

So, I went with the M-L. Only the chest seems a bit large. It states 44", I'm a 41". And the neck is 16 where as I usually do 15 1/2. Hardly enough to worry about. I can't wait to get it and compare with my 2008 Todds, 2006 (I think) AB, and my 2009 Magnoli. Yeah, I love this style and wear them a lot.

Next I want to try the new batch Todd has with upgraded fabric...and I want another Magnoli (my favorite yet). I'll do some comparison shots to post when the WPG comes in.
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ravencrow »

i did the same thing ordering the 2 sizes as i also am in between them .. i wear the large over jeans and the medium with my gear.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

My WPG M-L just came in the door. I tried it on and took a few photos. You will see it here all wrinkled right out of the bag...never washed, so this is the color it came and no shrinkage. First, my observations. Good, solid material. It's a well made shirt not a costume. The color is slightly to the green tint...remember, it's right out of the bag, so we'll see what happens after some use and washing.
Ths size...I used my Todds Med. as a general comparison shirt because I know where it fits and doesnt. Todds has always been too short for me to keep tucked in, my main commplaint, otherwise its a fine shirt. When I first got my todds, I thought the material felt cheap and I resold the 2nd one I purchased - unopened. Now I wish I hadn't. After a few years, it's really softened.

The WPG is actually very similar in body size to the Todds. About the same width! Not huge like I had feared. Sleeves are just a tiny bit long, but I usually keep them rolled up. (it was that or too short). And the length is WAY long. OMG long. It will be fine tucked in.

There is one big problem for me. The WPG pockets are about 1" too low compared to the AB and Todds (see 4th photo down) It looks strange. You can see the bottom of the pocket on the other 2 shirts comes between 2 buttons, while the WPG is much lower. I don't know if the Med would be betteron me or not.

I took photos with a white envelope so you can better judge the color. Note the color, chest pocket placement, overall length...

AB /M far Left, Todds/M Cter, WPG/M-L Right.

I'll do better shots after a few washings and I'll include my Magnoli in the mix later.

Verdict on WPG: Good quality outdoor shirt. It will stand up, Color, interesting. Fit...I hate the pocket placement and the epaulettes seem a bit forward. I don't think I'll be getting another, but it's OK to have in the collection.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Addendum. OK, I just washed the WPG cold and normal heat dry. It actually shrunk a tiny bit and fits pretty good. I am not unhappy with this shirt. It's just not my first choise. Now I'm thinking really hard about the new version of Todds or a Wested. Any thoughts from owners? :-k
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New review of the Improved WPG Indy Shirt (w/pics!)

Post by bish »

I just received the one I ordered today as well, being a large guy I ordered the 3XL Long however on receiving it, the length of the shirt itself was only 31", it barely reached my waist. The arm length was fine, but someone screwed up majorly on this shirt. I sent a note in to them to get an exchange to a proper length but have not heard back yet.

-Bish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

bish wrote:I just received the one I ordered today as well, being a large guy I ordered the 3XL Long however on receiving it, the length of the shirt itself was only 31", it barely reached my waist. The arm length was fine, but someone screwed up majorly on this shirt. I sent a note in to them to get an exchange to a proper length but have not heard back yet.

-Bish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's a screw up. #-o My M=l from collar seam in back to bottom is 35". I hope they get right on it for ya!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

RayROnline wrote:Addendum. OK, I just washed the WPG cold and normal heat dry. It actually shrunk a tiny bit and fits pretty good. I am not unhappy with this shirt. It's just not my first choise. Now I'm thinking really hard about the new version of Todds or a Wested. Any thoughts from owners? :-k
I own both WPG and a first, second and last version of Todd's shirt and all I can say is that I would love to have the color of my WPG magically transferred to my current Todd's. I've down graded my size from an XL to a L, but the sizing of Todd's is still a little big for me. The details of Todd's shirt are great IMO and I really like the new material, but the color is still just like the last generation of shirts which looks like the one posted in the pics above. In person the WPG color looks very S.A., especially outdoors. The pattern details are a little heavy in comparison (mainly the seams) and so is the fabric. I always felt the WPG was kind of stiff and/or thick. If I can alter the color of my latest Todd's shirt, then it shall be my favorite one so far. I'd love to get an AB, but currently I have other priorities. Plus, I just took the plunge on a pair of adventure pants from Magnoli. Hope this is helpful.

jlhampton
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I also wanted to add that my WPG did shrink a bit in the length of the body and in the arms, but not enough to call it ruined. It still fits. My Todd's shirts have not shrunk at all, even in a hot water wash.

jlhampton
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

jlhampton wrote:I also wanted to add that my WPG did shrink a bit in the length of the body and in the arms, but not enough to call it ruined. It still fits. My Todd's shirts have not shrunk at all, even in a hot water wash.

jlhampton
Thanks for the 411. The WPG does seem heavier. It's what I expect from a totally functional shirt, made for being a safari shirt first. I washed and dried mine and it fit's pretty good now. I'll probably have it dry cleaned from now on to maintain integrity.

I just tried to order with Todd and he is already out of MED in the new shirts. He's not sure when he'll have more...not for several months because he orders all sizes at once. So, Ill have to wait on that. Personally, having owned 2 AB's, I think they are over rated. I got both of mine used and they were weighted just between a Todds and WPG. Nicely made for sure, but I prefer Magnoli. Some say it's too "dressy".

Nonsense, it is a well made shirt, like a dress shirt, but it's sturdy and very accurate details far s I can tell. Very comfortable, too. And I thought I read somewhere that Magnoli took over the pattern from Noel Howard and the MBA

I'm hoping to find a NH just to experience it, but I've heard they are somewhat flimsy. Guess it's all about personal preference.
RaiderKid
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RaiderKid »

Great photos. I just order the WPG shirt and reproduction bag and strap. Can't wait for them to arrive, although I am a little concerned about the sizing of the shirt. Did your WPG shirt shrink when washed? I ordered the large based on some other threads that indicated that the shirt will shrink considerably.

Thanks
RaiderKid

Tundrarider wrote:Hi Guys and Gals!

Just thought I’d share some pics and a review of my What Price Glory (WPG) Indy Shirt. I’ve had this shirt for awhile now and have been breaking it in to get that authentic Indy look.

This is the new pattern from WPG. The new shirts run slimmer than they used to. The old version was cut VERY generously, and most folks ended up swimming in them. I wasn’t sure if the Medium or Large would be best for me, but I KNEW I’d need to order it in LONG, so I ordered one of each. (Med/Long and Large/Long) I’m wearing the Medium/Long in these pics.

Turns out I’m sorta in between sizes here. The Medium is pretty snug but the Large is too baggy and doesn’t look like an Indy shirt on me; I see Indy’s shirts as being pretty “form fitting.” I’m 6’4” and around 210 lbs. I can get away with wearing the Large with my everyday clothes, but the Medium works way better for me with the Indy gear.

Photo of button comparision-Replaced on left; Original on pocket to the right

As usual, I had to put my personal touch on this piece of gear, so (aside from the sweat stains) I swapped out the buttons. I only have owned Todd’s and WPG shirts, and have swapped the buttons out on both makers’ shirts. The buttons which these shirts came with appear a bit “lighter-duty” than the type of buttons I’ve found on real uniform shirts. Also, the color of the buttons that came with the shirts was almost the exact same shade as the shirts themselves.

The buttons which came with the shirts may well be screen accurate, (I dunno...) but I like the ones I swapped them out with; the replacements were taken off some old uniform shirts.

(Button photo close-up) http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94 ... 002-10.jpg

Here’s a pic which is allegedly a screen-used Noel Howard Raiders shirt. As with this shirt, I like the buttons to “contrast” with the shirt color; buttons (to me) are an accent and should stand out a little from the shirt.

Screen-used shirt

The epaulettes have a slight taper from the shoulder at 1 5/8” to the button at 1 3/8”. Not sure is this is screen accurate or not, but it looks good tapered.

Also, the shirt features the slot in the pocket for the pen to be carried.

(Epaulette shot) http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94 ... /003-9.jpg

I’d describe the color as “Stone”; a very grayish-khaki color. I took a photo of the WPG next to two of Todd’s shirts from different batches. My pants are shown above the shirts for color contrast and comparison. The WPG (left) and the Todd’s (Middle) both have had the buttons replaced. The Todd's on the right still has the original buttons. (BTW, this is not intended as a comparison review between WPG shirts and Todd’s; I only put Todd’s shirts in here for comparison of colors. My Todd’s shirts are awesome and have served me well for years! :clap: )

(Left/WPG-Middle/Todd's-Right/Todd's)

Replaced buttons on Todd's shirt (Cuff shows original buttons) http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94 ... /018-9.jpg

As for the “authentic” sweat and dirt stains, I decided to distress the shirt naturally :shock: …That is, I soak the shirt in water, put it on and mow the lawn or do other work in the yard. The shirt dries on my body and this helps it form naturally to my shape.

I’d recommend the WPG shirt to anyone looking for a sturdy, well cut, OTR Indy shirt.

Thanks for looking! :D (And a special thank you to my lovely sweetheart for her support and great photography skills! :clap: )

RaiderKid
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RaiderKid »

Thanks Tundraider!
Received mine today fits better tan I expected. Just took it out of the cold wash cycle and gave it a partial dry cycle. Didn't feel much difference. Very pleased with the quality of the shirt. I was shocked at the weight when I pulled it from the bag :shock: