Crystal Skull version shirts?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I like the way the fabric and color looks on the CS shirts.
The fabric looks soft and the color more stone in color.
Right now I have been rocking an Adventurbilt shirt which is great in design but I have always felt it is a little too khaki in color for my tastes.
I think a lighter colored shirt will work better with the color of my jacket.
Do we have someone here that offers a CS shirt or has more information on it?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crystal Skull version shirts?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/adventu ... -p-28.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe the Option B shirt is meant to be the CS shirt pattern.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Ahhh, thank you. I didn't realize Magnoli offered more than one version of the shirt.
So version B wold be considered a "Crystal Skill"?
It recommends the color "Light Khaki" while option A recommends "stone" - how drastic a difference is there in color?
I will have to PM Magnoli and ask for accurate color scans.
One of my main concerns is how the fabric feels.
The Adventurebilt shirt I have has a 'crinkly' fabric (for lack of better description) that is not very soft, at least not soft like how the movie shirts look like they should be.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I like my WPG shirt and I've been collecting CS gear. You can see my shirt in the post your full gear thread where I recently posted some photos. It's 100% cotton and feels great after using fabric softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Yeah, I've heard that the WPG shirt is more stone colored and an overall great shirt.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I will look into the WPG shirt as an option.
I think the shirt should have at least a TINY smidgen of Khaki to it, not entirely gray.
My Adventurebuilt shirt is great in design, but I've always been dissapointed in the color.
What is commonly considered the actual color of Indy's shirts?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Whichever movie you're watching at the time you decide.....

I'd aim for a "stone" coloured shirt in general...That's the colour I see as fairly consistent through all the movies..Sometimes more khaki though...So it depends on the movie you like best..Go with that..
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the AB color is perfect for SA. I have a few. It is based on Noel Howards shirts who delievered for the movie.

see the color of screen used shirt comapred to the MBA/NH shirts below. it is perfect! The NH/MBA and now the AB has the color that was used for the movie shirts. again, look at the screen grab. in this picture all Indys gear was caught under a light that showed the real colors of his gear. So, if you are searching for how it pretty much looked in real life? THIS picture should be taken into consideration.

onto the CS shirts and pants, they were made at western costumes and the color for the shirt was more khaki mustard.

Todds first run shirts were pretty much the same color as the CS shirts. here, the early Todds shirt is on the right whilst the WPG is on the left. I have 2 of these early todds shirts my self and have been thinking of remodeling these into CS shirts. meaning making the epualttes shorter.

if you find the early todds shirt you better get one as IMO it is the closest thing to the CS shirt in terms of color.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I was going by this photo under natural light when I decided to go with the WPG for my CS collection. It may not be SA, which we all know is sometimes chasing the wind anyhow.

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I think I'm def going to be picking up one of the WPG shirts eventually but the sizing chart has me scratching my head.
I am a slim 160lbs, athletic build size 38" chest.
I don't see a size on that chart that looks like it would fit, or am I just missing something?
Thanks for the details, Holt.
Maybe I got a different batch of AB shirt because mine has much more of a khaki color to it than what your picture shows.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Yeah that WPG sizing chart didn't look right to me either. I listened to what everyone was writing about the shirt and simply choose one size below my normal dress shirt size. Turns out to fit me great. You sound like you might wear a medium shirt. Is that correct?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

off topic but isn't Lucas wearing a Han Shot first shirt in those pics up above...?? That's ironic....
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Yep and yes it is.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

I've been doing a lot of comparing lately on the CS color, especially out of Magnoli's offerings as I have sample swatches of all the main fabrics for Indy gear. I agree that the WPG and Adventurebilt shirts look pretty good for color; the only problem with them is the epaulettes and pleats. If you have a good alterations person that can make the "flat end" epaulettes on these pointed, as well as somehow get a single pleat without stitching going across the bottom of the chest pockets, then you'll have a good CS shirt.

I have a Todd's shirt (not sure if it's an early version or not), MBA LC shirt, Azuma LC and Magnoli shirts in both Stone and his Light Khaki and right now it's a toss-up between the MBA color and the Stone color. The Todd's shirt is too yellowish imo based on the numerous screen-stills, photo shots, promotional materials, etc etc that I've looked over, while the "Light Khaki" of Magnoli's has, to me, way too much of a greenish tint to it that I'm just not seeing in the film or materials. The Azuma, as well, seems almost too tan colored and is certainly darker than the MBA, so it's a nice shirt and is copied nicely from what I believe is the MBA/NH shirts but the fabric seems too dark.

It's amazing what happens to the color of fabric when you have a 1x1" swatch to place against a shirt vs. having a whole shirt made out of that fabric. The ones I'm focusing on for Magnoli's is: Light Khaki, Light Tan, and Stone. The so-called "Stone" color, which tends to envision in people's minds when they hear it "almost white-ish" actually to me when I hold the entire shirt up against different things (Wested trousers, Adventurebilt hats, the Camel wool swatch for the trousers, etc) actually appears to be that nice mix of slightly grey (or green as others have described it) in certain darker lights and almost the white in more brighter lights - all reminiscent of what I've been seeing in the movie, etc. The Light Tan also seems like a good choice for the LC shirt but I'm still debating it for CS.

So for right now, I'd suggest the following based on my research thus far:

1. If you can get the two characteristics (the pointed epaulettes and single pleat from the pocket down) converted successfully from either the Adventurebilt or WPG shirts, I'd go with that.

2. If you cannot get the above done, I'd go with the Stone color of Magnoli's.

But the best would be to acquire swatch samples yourself, preferably of a larger size than he offers in his package swatch deal to get a better overall picture in front of your own eyes to decide on which is best. MY hope is to sell off much of my extra un-needed gear to be able to purchase Magnoli's CS shirts in his Stone, Light Tan, and Light Khaki to be able to see the full shirts to compare the "complete, overall true color" of them.

Oh, and if anyone has already or is going to try and convert the WPG and Adventurebilt shirts as I've mentioned, I'd love to see some pictures of how that turns out and if it can successfully be done.

Lastly, just as an aside since we're talking CS shirts --- it looks to me like the CS shirts, unlike the LC shirts (which have the same epaulettes as the MBA shirts), have no taper to the epaulettes and are an even width up to the point. Anyone else notice that? Might be something to consider as well in your purchase of a shirt if that detail matters.

:TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Funny you mentioned grey as others say greenish. Men have the highest percentage of color blindness of the genders. Seeing greens as greys and visa versa is very common.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

lantzn wrote:Funny you mentioned grey as others say greenish. Men have the highest percentage of color blindness of the genders. Seeing greens as greys and visa versa is very common.
That's one of the most frustrating things with wardrobe replication in that fabrics are one of the most unique items in relation to lighting. It's amazing how different types of lighting can "change" the true color of the fabric. For instance, the fabric swatch I have of Magnoli's Stone looks more white-ish as it stands as a 1x1" piece; however, get a big enough sample (i.e. a shirt made out of it) and place the swatch on top of it and they blend together perfectly and the shirt looks like a light grey. Now, compare that "Stone" shirt next to the "Light Khaki" CS style shirt of Magnoli's and, to me, it's quite clear the difference between what's got a greyish tint and what has a more greenish tint.

I also have seen this miraculous property played out with midnight blue fabrics and there are times when I've wracked my brains trying to determine if a particular fabric (in trying to replicate it) is black or midnight blue as the two are almost indistinguishable. Take, for example, a pair of navy blue dress slacks versus a pair of black ones and I'd be surprised if someone didn't have to ponder at one time in their life whether they picked out the navy blue or the black pair.

With fabrics, it all depends on the lighting - incandescent may give a fabric one color, while flourescent will change the appearance of that same fabric. So it's a good idea to "test" the fabric in a variety of different lightings and especially outside in natural light if at all possible as lighting is the biggest hinderance imo to nailing down a fabric's "true" color. But with the Light Khaki and Stone colors in the flourescent lighting I've been having them under, it's pretty noticeable the green in the Light Khaki and the grey in the Stone.

So to summarize - I agree with you on what you're saying. :TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

It's SO true how colors will look one way by themselves, and a completely different way when next to another.
Indy's gear is very earth-tone based, so the color of the shirt may look different to your eye when you have it paired with the dark brown leather jacket, the tan trousers and the brown belt. All those colors play a trick on your eyes.

I think I will email WPG and advise on size and go with one of those shirts first.
If anyone has both the WPG and the AB shirt, can you please post a photo of the two side-by-side? Thank you!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Yes lighting is very important when working with color. I use to manage a small print shop and we installed full spectrum florescent tubes in the shop so clients that saw our Pantone color swatches (for choosing colors) inside wouldn't be shocked when they took their finished printed product outside.
Not all full spectrum tubes are created equal. I loved the natural pale blue color of the bulbs so much I even installed them in my kitchen, bathroom and shop at home.

Full spectrum duplicates natural daylight. They actually make you feel better and many hospitals have them. If you want to make your employees feel better install these lights.

These guys offer a nice line.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/default.htm
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

lantzn wrote:Yes lighting is very important when working with color. I use to manage a small print shop and we installed full spectrum florescent tubes in the shop so clients that saw our Pantone color swatches (for choosing colors) inside wouldn't be shocked when they took their finished printed product outside.
Not all full spectrum tubes are created equal. I loved the natural pale blue color of the bulbs so much I even installed them in my kitchen, bathroom and shop at home.

Full spectrum duplicates natural daylight. They actually make you feel better and many hospitals have them. If you want to make your employees feel better install these lights.

These guys offer a nice line.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/default.htm
"This commercial has been brought to you by Club Obi-Wan: Come for the gear, stay for the people!"
:P
Id like to see Magnoli's stone shirt in person or at least photos of a gearhead wearing it. Anyone?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

That's the Teacher in me. :)