LC hat specs

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

LC hat specs

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

Before you ask, yes, i just got done using the search button, and got no definitive answer.
So...
Does anyone know these LC hat measurements?

-Crown height
-Ribbon width-still 1 1/2?
-Brim width front and back
-Brim width sides
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: LC hat specs

...No?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, there was variation among the hats of every film. I don't really think you can go wrong with the 'generic Indy measurements" of 5 1/2" open crown, 2 1/2 x 2 3/4 brim. The ribbon stays the same.

If you want to get a custom Indy hat though, I would leave the final specs to the hatter. But that's just my preference. I want a hat that fits my proportions and could care less if it exactly matched the proportions of a given hat from the film.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would agree with these specs but every scene the hat seem to change it specs. Even more so then the TOD hat.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

OK! Thanks for the info.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

I was wondering about the specs as well since I just ordered one from Penman.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Nevada- you're best bet is to talk to John about that- as he will change the specs depending upon the size.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Nevada Jones wrote:I was wondering about the specs as well since I just ordered one from Penman.
Hope you enjoy it !
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

I have a LC hat made by John Penman. Its one of the best things i own, gorgeous work. You will not be disappointed :H:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

BendingOak wrote:I would agree with these specs but every scene the hat seem to change it specs. Even more so then the TOD hat.
Yeah, I'm sure you've all noticed how crazy short the sides of the brim are during the grail challenge scenes at the end. I seem to recall that it was due to lighting and cast shadows that the brim was chopped so much.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
BendingOak wrote:I would agree with these specs but every scene the hat seem to change it specs. Even more so then the TOD hat.
Yeah, I'm sure you've all noticed how crazy short the sides of the brim are during the grail challenge scenes at the end. I seem to recall that it was due to lighting and cast shadows that the brim was chopped so much.[/quote]

It is interesting you should mention this...I have always felt that the same was true for the scenes where Indy and Marcus are going through his Dad's house (which has been trashed by the good 'ol boy Nazis). The brim looks quite short on the sides and even more curled then in many of the other scenes in the picture -- at least to me. Maybe it was just he extensive curl in it at that point, but I don't think so -- even the front of the brim is almost straight forward with little to no drop in to it. W>
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

WConly wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure you've all noticed how crazy short the sides of the brim are during the grail challenge scenes at the end. I seem to recall that it was due to lighting and cast shadows that the brim was chopped so much.[/quote]

It is interesting you should mention this...I have always felt that the same was true for the scenes where Indy and Marcus are going through his Dad's house (which has been trashed by the good 'ol boy Nazis). The brim looks quite short on the sides and even more curled then in many of the other scenes in the picture -- at least to me. Maybe it was just he extensive curl in it at that point, but I don't think so -- even the front of the brim is almost straight forward with little to no drop in to it. W>
Im so glad you pointed this out as these two scenes are my favorite of his Fedora in the movie and I was sure the brim was shorter but haven't found anyone else who agreed/noticed. Any idea how much shorter the brim is?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

1BAT4U wrote:
WConly wrote:

Im so glad you pointed this out as these two scenes are my favorite of his Fedora in the movie and I was sure the brim was shorter but haven't found anyone else who agreed/noticed. Any idea how much shorter the brim is?

In reviewing the film, again, tonight, I don't think it is that much shorter -- just tighter in the curl and the front is a bit straighter (not much down-turn), plus Indy is wearing it a bit back more on his head then in the shots prvevious where he is climbing out of the window at the university and then at Donovan's place. Truthfully, unless we had been there for the entire shooting, plus had access to the director's notes on what he wanted for the scenes, there is not a great deal to go on other than how our eyes perceive 'it' to look, at any given point. W>
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Yeah I actually think you are right after trying to give my Fed IV a LC bash looking at stills from those scenes. I was able to get pretty close to the right look. The Fed's felt color is off and it seems that Ford's hat has even more of a swoop in the back than mine, but all and all it's close. I also am wearing this pretty high on my forehead.

Check it out:
Mine and Ford's

ImageImage
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Your 'look for the hat' is pretty darned good! I think, Ford's just curls more in the back! And, yes the colours are a bit different, but that doesn't change the effect of the hat, over all. Nice lid. W>
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Don't forget Ford used to futs with the hats himself to make them his you know. All the curls as you guys say and all that's Ford playing with the fedora. The LC hat is nice but I personally feel the Raider hat is the hardest to get right and it still goes to the felt used in ROTLA by HJ, nobody can get it after '81... I dunno.