What Price Glory- Pants and Shirt. Any good?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a few new things to update my costume and I was looking on the WPG site for the pants and shirt. In their stock, they have US Army Officer Pinks in a light shade and also their shirts, which are well known here.

What I wanted to know is; how good are their stuff? Is the shirt better than the AB shirt that I already have?

Does anybody have the Pinks that they are advertising? If you do, how do they compare to other pants on the market (Todd's, Wested, Magnoli)? The link below shows them.

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=138&bc=no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm also gonna be getting a pair of Aldens in the New Yea as well.

Your opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: What Price Glory- Pants and Shirt. Any good?

Post by indydude18 »

The pocket flaps look SA enough and so do the angled seams above the back pockets, but IIRC, their reproductions do not have pleats. WPG's shirt is very SA, great color, great construction and great material. I would highly recommend picking one up! :tup:
And if you don't mind, can you pick one up for me as well? :lol:
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

indydude18 wrote:The pocket flaps look SA enough and so do the angled seams above the back pockets, but IIRC, their reproductions do not have pleats. WPG's shirt is very SA, great color, great construction and great material. I would highly recommend picking one up! :tup:
And if you don't mind, can you pick one up for me as well? :lol:
Hahaha, I think the postage to LA would be cheaper than it will be for me to get it shipped over here to Ireland. Lol. I just thought that because Indy's pants were based on the pinks then what would be better than to get an actual pair? Lol. I may get the WPG shirt and a pair of Todd's pants. I'm also getting a whip from Todd's as well.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I had a Todd's shirt and the color was too yellow for my taste, but it's a quality shirt. I have no complaints about my WPG shirt (other than that I ordered it too long). It's spot-on, in my considered (but limited) opinion—which is to say that I don't have an AB or Wested to compare it to. However, there was a recent shirt comparison on this very board...

Todd's trousers are more accurate AND cheaper than WPG pinks.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Yeah I've heard that the Todd's shirt, while of great quality, is too yellow in terms of screen accuracy. That's the only reason I'm not getting one. And I've seen the pics of the Wested shirt and it's just pure @#$%, IMHO. Lol.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

While I own a few by the same usual suspects, I really like the WPG shirt. In fact I just ordered three more the other day. :tup:

Gailen
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

From talking with fellow reenactors, the WPG pinks are not the best out there (the same is also felt of their US uniform repro stuff, though their British stuff gets great reviews). Yes, since they are pinks, they are flat front. I picked up a pair of Todd's Costumes Indy trousers at the Queen Mary Summit a few weeks back and I'm really impressed with them. Comparing them to an original pair of WWII pinks, the fabric is very, very close to what was issued back then.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Wonder if we could talk Todd into making some WWII flat front repros...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

binkmeisterRick wrote: I picked up a pair of Todd's Costumes Indy trousers at the Queen Mary Summit a few weeks back and I'm really impressed with them. Comparing them to an original pair of WWII pinks, the fabric is very, very close to what was issued back then.
I have a pair of Todd's trousers as well and they are very nice.

I was with Bink when he compared Todd's to his vintage pinks and short of a microscope I couldn't tell a difference in the color or fabric.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Todd's are extremely close in color and a little lighter in weight (not much) than the WWII pinks. Since I need to get them hemmed, I'm gonna look into getting a watch pocket added. That's all that's missing to make them perfect in my book. ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Bink, are your originals pleated?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No. Officer pinks were flat-front trousers, not pleated. I thought I read Indy's trousers were initially supposed to be pinks, but where they got the notion of adding pleats is beyond me.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah. I thought that was the case. That's what I want. I've coasted around for vintage pairs and I always get outbid on them! I figured Todd could give us a sure thing...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I'm not sure Todd could do the volume on pinks as he could on Indy pants to make it worth his while. Still, his Indy pants are the best overall repros I've seen in terms of patterns and fabric, IMO.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I went with Todd's pants and WPGs shirt. They are both great products. I love the color and fabric of the shirt and I went with a large long. The extra inches in length for the sleeves and tail is awesome for a 100% cotton shirt as they shrunk to just the right size for me with long arms. It also stays tucked in. The pant drape is wonderful The only thing about the pant I have to fix are the huge belt loops which is a known problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

ALCON,
I received a medium WPG shirt yesterday via DHL yesterday. Out of the package it fit well in the shoulders, way too long in length, and just nearly too short in arm length. The shirt was washed in cold water and dried. I took it out of the drier and now the cuffs come to well above my wrists and is tight all over.

Caveat Emptor: if the WPG Shirt is just your size, do NOT dry it as it will shrink to nearly half its original size.

I hate to admit, but I am truly crestfallen. :cry:
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

wwtwo wrote:ALCON,
I received a medium WPG shirt yesterday via DHL yesterday. Out of the package it fit well in the shoulders, way too long in length, and just nearly too short in arm length. The shirt was washed in cold water and dried. I took it out of the drier and now the cuffs come to well above my wrists and is tight all over.

Caveat Emptor: if the WPG Shirt is just your size, do NOT dry it as it will shrink to nearly half its original size.

Late entry: a button fell off in the washer.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I heard WPG shirts ran large and I normally wear XL, 17.5" collar, 34/35 sleeve dress shirts so I went with the Large-Long. I did the luke warm wash and cool dryer settings and my shirt fits me great. The sleeves shrunk to fit like my other dress shirts and I actually like the longer length of the tail because I hate when my shirts come out of my pants during activity. I'll take some shots of the shirt on me.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

wwtwo wrote:
wwtwo wrote:ALCON,

Late entry: a button fell off in the washer.
There's your problem: To be truly SA, you have to hand-wash and line-dry your clothes. :)
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

In order to preserve the size I put them in the dryer for only about 10 minutes just to get the wrinkles out Then hang them up to line dry. I'm sure many of you do the same thing.

Gailen
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

i usually wear a large in a shirt.i bought a todd's indy shirt.it fits me ok.a little snug around my belly.a tadshort on the tail. but sleeves perfectly.if i went to a wpg.what do ya'll think i should get in my shirt size.? :-k
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

Tundrarider wrote:
kwh wrote:what do ya'll think I should get in my shirt size.?
Hi Keith! :D It seems like I recall you saying you have long arms. Anyway, you might try the Large/Long so you don't have to sweat the sleeves shrotening up on you.
trdaggers wrote:In order to preserve the size I put them in the dryer for only about 10 minutes just to get the wrinkles out Then hang them up to line dry. I'm sure many of you do the same thing.

Gailen
It's funny about the shrinkage, Gailen, because I bought both a M/L and a L/L. For the M/L I didn't want ANY shrinkage, so I washed it cold and didn't dry it. But I wanted the L/L to tighten up some, so I washed and dryed it hot. I couldn't get the L/L shirt to tighten up much at all.

Also, just for general info, for any brand Indy shirt, I recommend the following method if your climate allows it: Wash the shirt. Put it on wet and do some yard work until the shirt dries naturally on your body. To me, this gives the shirt a more lived in, "molded to your body" look, and gets the natural wrinkling in all the right places. :H:

Michael :TOH:
i'm pretty sure you bought a wpg.didn't you have a post about it?anyway you still wearing it?and how is it now since the last post you made.not a bad price either right? :-k

keith
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

trdaggers wrote:In order to preserve the size I put them in the dryer for only about 10 minutes just to get the wrinkles out
Get the wrinkles OUT? :shock:

;)

Keith, the WPG shirts are very generous around the middle, and the long is seriously long. I just can't figure out what race of giants WPG used to size their shirts. :-k
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

My experience tells me to go one size down from your dress shirt size and get the Long version if you have long arms and torso, which I do.
I took some photos tonight of my XL-Long Cabelas 100% cotton safari shirt (first 2 greener one) and my L-Long WPG. The Cabelas is a huge shirt on me which is fine for what I use it for. It also is a very HEAVY shirt with almost a canvas feel to it. The WPG feel a lot like many of my nicer dress shirts. The WPG has only been washed once as described above and the Cabelas a few times. The Cabelas has been wash with the rest of our clothes and hasn't seemed to shrunk much at all. The WPG fits very comfortable on me now. At 6'1", 210 lbs., long arms and torso, I feel this is the right size to get.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 7045459256
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

From my observations, the WPG Officer Pinks hold a couple of other details that aren't quite right. Unless the picture on their site is not right, the back pocket flaps are made in a way so that you can button them closed without seeing the actual button, whereas the original WWII officer pinks that I've owned/seen as well as Indy's trousers have the button slot cut through the flap so you see the button once it's closed. This "might" be a possible thing for an alterations person to change.

Also, as others have stated here, the WWII officer pinks were flat-fronted. It's my understanding that the Army had certain regulations as far as basic looks of the trousers but that any officer could go to a tailor, provide them (if they didn't have these certain criterial aspects already) the regulations but could have them "tweaked" as long as they still were there (say, the back pocket flaps which I've seen pairs of originals with a variety of different types of scalloping). Also for the flat-front - I've thought about converting some repro officer pinks (Eastman Leather Co.'s exactly) into Indy trousers and contacted an Alterations shop about adding pleats to the trousers once I get them. They claimed that shouldn't be a problem and if I recall right, they said to just buy a pair in the waist that's 4" larger than your actual waist as it takes about 2" on each side to take in the waist to make the pleats.

Lastly, the original/repro's have the "hidden" watch pocket which isn't that much of anything really but if you're looking for the right details, Indy's didn't have this on his and I'm not sure if an alterations shop could hide this under the waist-band or not.

The crux of the matter is this - WPG's are already about the same price as Magnoli's and by the time you start converting/changing these trousers to make them look more Indy-like, you'll have wayyyy more into them than (a) they're worth and (b) you can order an actual Indy-designed pair for new.

My suggestion is to pass on them and order a pair of either Todd's, Magnoli's or Wested's.

:TOH: