Indy Trousers from Todd's Costumes (With pictures)!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Indy Trousers from Todd's Costumes (With pictures)!

Post by indyexpat »

That's a pity, I've been very pleased with everything from Todds. On the whole, its excellent quality and more affordable than some sources. Research has been pretty good with fabrics and cut.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Yes, sad but true unfortunately. No offense intended. Anyhow, I am curious to know about the quality of these trousers. Mainly stitching and overall construction.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

DarenHenryW wrote:I think this pic shows a bit of the pink that everyone claims the Todd's pants lack:

What do you guys think? Am I just seeing things?

DHW
I see it. Looks great! Did you dye your boots or are they 403's?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I believe those are the AB aldens
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Todds stuff is great though I am in BC and my stuff is sitting in Seattle - argh the frustration. Great to see all the pics and will post once I get my hands on my kit (and hopefully my Garrison LLS Fedora!)
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I think according to his "google job" post, those are Aldens 405's dyed darker by his cobbler.
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

Bogie1943 wrote:Yes, sad but true unfortunately. No offense intended. Anyhow, I am curious to know about the quality of these trousers. Mainly stitching and overall construction.
The quality of the stitching and fabric of the pants are excellent. I think you may need to give Todd's another look. The products are a very good value. Yes there are higher quality options out there, but often at many times the money for a marginal improvement.

:TOH: Dr. Jones
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Jedirun wrote:
Bogie1943 wrote:Yes, sad but true unfortunately. No offense intended. Anyhow, I am curious to know about the quality of these trousers. Mainly stitching and overall construction.
The quality of the stitching and fabric of the pants are excellent. I think you may need to give Todd's another look. The products are a very good value. Yes there are higher quality options out there, but often at many times the money for a marginal improvement.

Agreed, they are well worth what you pay for them. I don't think you would be dissapointed!
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Bogie1943 wrote:My questions is are they really worth the money? I have been unsatisfied with nearly everything I've ever purchased from Todd's. The only exception being the shirt back when it had a military cut.
i have been very happy with all my Todd's purchases , from the hat's to the boots and all in between. i like the look of the product and nothing has come undone or unraveled. but to each their own . i have a limited budget , and that's what i like about Todd's , good quality merchandise for a great price. :)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I second and third all :tup: coments. When I called to inquire something at Todds, the woman I spoke to said he researched these pants for nearly 3 years before going to the MFG. to have them produced, so I'd say these are near spot on in cut, baggieness (is that a word :shock: ) and the look and feel of the ROTLA pants.

I love mine. :H:

Croft :mrgreen:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here are my pants.

I'm still torn if I should return them to a smaller size. I ordered them one size bigger to get the bagginess but I think I oredered them to long.

what do you guys think. I think it's screen accurate in terms of baggyness but the length may be 1'' to long.

other then this? they are super accurate to the pants NH had in his house. it has it all and especially the slightly thinner fabric to give that drape. they are perfect.

together with my magnoli shirt. :P
ImageImageImage
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Holt wrote:here are my pants.

I'm still torn if I should return them to a smaller size. I ordered them one size bigger to get the bagginess but I think I oredered them to long.

what do you guys think. I think it's screen accurate in terms of baggyness but the length may be 1'' to long.

other then this? they are super accurate to the pants NH had in his house. it has it all and especially the slightly thinner fabric to give that drape. they are perfect.

together with my magnoli shirt. :P
ImageImageImage
I think the fit is GREAT. The length is probably could come up a half inch.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks bud.

I think they look like the well of souls whip picture when he holds the whip but in many other scenes the pants do look alittle shorter..

may just be an optical illusion.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Well, from what I have seen so far these trousers look really great. I'd love to give them a try but alas I must wait until Todd carries my waist size.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Yes, I must say, as satisfied as I have been lo these last three years since I got my Wested pants that I had "the pants", I'm happier with my Todd's pants, and now consider them my "good" Indy pants (at the very least my "Raiders" pants). That said, I performed at two birthday parties this weekend and decided to wear the Westeds, since I have to put them through a bit more abuse at these gigs, but since I enjoy the Todd's pants better, I'm saving them for actual casual use, to work, etc. (Also, I really like wearing them with the suspenders!). But I will definitely wear the Todd's with my costume for interesting photo opps, gigs where I think there will be more adult appreciation (kids don't notice as much whether I'm wearing a Raiders hat, LC hat, CS jacket, LC jacket, etc.), and thus I will certainly wear them to the QM summit this year . . . The first chance I had to wear them after I got them was at my Google gig earlier this month, and I think they look great in the photos. See here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they continue to hold up well, I will most likely order another pair. Great pants! :clap:

DHW :mrgreen:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Having ordered one pair, and had time to reflect on how good they were for the price they were, I ordered another shortly after..."Great" doesn't cover it all for these pants..They are almost perfect..With the small exception of the larger than needed belt loops they are spot on, comfortable and amazing quality...The length is a rather negligible issue, since they can be shortened easily enough, but everything else is so well made that NOT having two pairs seemed like a loss to me..And still does...They are GREAT, pure and simple...I liked my Westeds, and loved my Magnoli's, but the Todd's are my favourite, and when you beat products like those Magnoli is used to putting out, and beat his price too, it has to be said that they are worth the price paid and more...

In my opinion. :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Holt my friend I'd say your length is perfect. Back of the hem isn't even touching the floor.

Mr_Vader
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr_Vader »

Based on the reviews, photos and credit from the website reviews, I put my order in this afternoon. I think the real selling point on these was maboot38's formal photo, that was the selling point to my wife (who in turn suggested I just wear regular khakis! ;))
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I just picked mine up from the cleaners' today, where I had them dry-cleaned per the instructions. I had to specify that they NOT be creased. Anyway, I've been wondering: Did Indy get his trousers dry-cleaned? And what would happen to wool trousers that are washed at home?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here they are with alittle gear on. it gives a better impression how they work with the rest.

IMO they are the perfect temple of doom pants. those were baggy.

Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

More evidence that these are really nice pants. I wore my Todd's pants, Todd's boots and Todd's gun belt with a normal dress shirt to be on a committee for someone defending their masters thesis yesterday. The only comment's I got where that I looked nice. The pants were not out of place at all.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I totaly agree Jedirun, I wear mine all the time with just a casual shirt and no ones the wiser. ;)

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Indiana Croft wrote:I totaly agree Jedirun, I wear mine all the time with just a casual shirt and no ones the wiser. ;)

And that's the beauty of Indy Gear.
With the exception of the weapons belt accesories, you can wear this stuff anytime almost anywhere and it is never looked at as a "costume". They are real-world clothes and are especially fun to wear because we know it's Indiana Jones wardrobe.

I currently own Magnoli's 100% Wool camel brown trousers and are wonderful - they are great Last Crusade trousers.
Todd's price tag on these pants are unbeatable and the quality is quite amazing from what I have seen in pictures.
Next time I get the "itch" to start upgrading or adding to my gear, I am sure to get a pair - I have yet to be dissapointed with anything I have ever bought from Toddy.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I'm actually wearing my Indy Trousers from Todd's Costumes right now. These are the most comfortable pants I've ever owned, and they work both for everyday and also with tie & jacket combinations (particularly my tweed jacket and Professor bow tie). I got them at the Queen Mary Summit just last month:

wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

Bartram wrote:Ok my size is in stock but I have a question on length.
You guys that have a pair already - do they wear on your waist (like dress pants) or more on your hips (like jeans).

This will help me (I'm long waisted) determine which inseam to get.

Thanks!

B
Sorry to piggy-back, Bartram, but I'm interested in this as well.
Also, is there anyone with Todd's Indy Trousers who is 6'0"? I normally wear 31 or 32 W with 32" inseam. What inseam should someone who is 6'0" order from Todd's?

Todd's sizing confuses me! :?
Cheers,
- W
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I'm 6'1" 210. As mentioned on his site MEASURE yourself. Todd has measured each pair of pants and labeled accordingly. I normally wear a 38w x 32i jean or slacks.
My waist actually measured 39.5" and his 39" pants were spot on for me. The 33" length were good for me to get that nice Indy break in the front of the foot. Once I put my boots on the length is just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

lantzn wrote:I'm 6'1" 210. As mentioned on his site MEASURE yourself. Todd has measured each pair of pants and labeled accordingly. I normally wear a 38w x 32i jean or slacks.
My waist actually measured 39.5" and his 39" pants were spot on for me. The 33" length were good for me to get that nice Indy break in the front of the foot. Once I put my boots on the length is just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen your measure yourself recommendation somewhere before... :-k

Good to know that since you're 6'1" and a 33" inseam works well. Goes to figure 32" will work for me. Now for the waist...

Thanks for the pointers!
-W
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I've a quick question.
Went to put on my Todds Indy pants as I wanted to use my wife x-mas gift of suspenders, well theres buttons in the front, but none on the back (inside of course). If I'm supposed to put them on how do I NOT SEW THROUGH the material as the way the pants are made.

Any thoughts or was this just an opps.

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:UPDATE - Here are a couple of photos from tonight, post-hemming:

Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PuckedInTheHead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by PuckedInTheHead »

nicktheguy wrote:Hey, I'm in BC too!
Count one more for the British Columbia table at the membership meeting. (Thanks for suggesting I join up, Nick!)

I've long listed Raiders as my favourite film, but I'm new to the gear thing. I'm thinking trou is the best starting point, and intend to order a pair of Todd's as a birthday present to myself. I usually try to avoid measuring the waist - ego and all that - but I suppose I'll have to do it if I want these pants to fit!

Any advice about how to measure the length accurately?

(And Todd, I promise I'll post a pic when I get them.)

Jason in Vancouver
"My friends! I am so pleased you are not dead!" -- :clap: Sallah, Raiders of the Lost Ark
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

These pants are amazingly good quality!!!!! A great value to anyone's gear. I just got them today and I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

I have the Todds pants and they are really nice. BUT never wash or dry them or you will be either selling them or soaking them and stretching them "like i did"..I wash my clothes,not dryclean so thats my only issue with them.
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

I washed mine once in cold water in woolite, inside out and it doesn't seem to have damaged them in the least. Even Magnoli says you CAN wash wool as long as you're careful.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

They are part of the adventure gear!!! I will never wash em!!!! I want another pair for more formal events
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Anyone get a pair that has a hem this noticeable? I don't see it in anyone else's pics. Also the trousers have a lot of loose threads on the outside. Sorry for the poor pic but my wife took it with her camera phone and I have the camera in NY. I'll take better pics when I get back tomorrow night. Just wondering if these should be returned.

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Is that the outside of the pant? Unless you're going for a Temple of Doom pant, I'd send them back, but I'd send a picture to Todd first. I've found he's really good about quality issues. They should NOT look like that.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Yes, that's the outside. I didn't think that was normal but my wife who opened the package pointed it out to me. I'll see how they fit as well, when I get home tonight, as these are going back. I did email Todd so we'll see.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

JC1972 wrote:Anyone get a pair that has a hem this noticeable? I don't see it in anyone else's pics. Also the trousers have a lot of loose threads on the outside. Sorry for the poor pic but my wife took it with her camera phone and I have the camera in NY. I'll take better pics when I get back tomorrow night. Just wondering if these should be returned.

I think that is the seam that connects the inside of the cuff to the pant leg that is showing. That seam should be right on the edge of the pant leg, and not visible. I would contact Todd about a replacement.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Already contacted Todd, he wrote back to send back for a replacement. Thanks for the advice! :tup:
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Hey everybody! I need your help! I typically wear a 32W-34L jean (which translates to a 34W-34L dress pant). Now, I actually need a 32W-33L (But a 32 inseam is too short, and I can live with the inseam being 1 inch too long). The size I wanted (35W-33L) in the trousers is gone #-o , which leaves me to get a 34W-32L. How LONG are your pants, honestly, and do they really fit lower, due to their high rise? If I can get away with a 32 inseam length, I will, but I don't want to order some trousers, and have them be too short.

Thanks everybody!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Adventure Dog,
I would have to say yes. Mine are a 32 inseam and because of the very high rise of the cut they are longer and appear to be too long for an accurate look. Now, if I hike them up, which gives that stereotypical "old man" look, then the inseam length looks pretty good. I'm not sure at the moment, but I don't think that my size offered an inseam shorter than a 32''. I really like the pants in every way except the cut. The rise is about 2'' too high for my taste. I'm thinking of selling them off and getting a tailored pair very soon. Hope this is helpful.

jlhampton
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

On Thursday a box from Todd's arrived with a shirt and a pair of pants.

All I can say is Todd nailed it. :clap:

I met up with Michaelson yesterday and showed him the gear I just recieved for inspection ;)
This clothes along with my new Garison Cairo were under scrutiny.... And they passed the muster. \:D/

Honestly though we were meeting up to exchang prisoners (I had a jacket liner of his replaced) and he had not seen the pants but heard about them. I also wanted to show him my lid since he had a Peter Bros made from the same felt.

The great thing about those pants is everything. It's the one piece of gear I would tell everyone to get. A knock-off or a pair of GAP jeans is just unacceptable after examining these. They are spot on perfect and so well made.

Todd, thank you!

They are perfect!!! :clap:

:TOH:
-The Dude
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Definitely passed muster with me! The trousers are just great! I was VERY impressed with quality and eye to detail. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Todd, is there any chance you will be offering these in waist size 29-30 at any point?
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Bogie1943 wrote:Todd, is there any chance you will be offering these in waist size 29-30 at any point?
yeah that would be nice , my son is 16 and a size 29-30 would great for him ,
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

OMG!! I did it!! I just placed my order for Todd's boots and the trousers. I measured a waist size of right at and/or slightly above 38." So in order for them not to be tight, I placed my order for the 39" waist on the pants. I hope they fit well. Might have to gain some weight! Easy to do!!

I'll wait with baited breath and give you all the review once I get them...here we go!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I also had the same size you ordered. The only problem I had was the length due to the extra space in the rise. My inseam was the 32'' and with the cut of these pants, a 30'' inseam would have sufficed. Take out the space in the rise, and I could have kept the 32''. I suppose it will depend on your height and leg length on whether or not they feel right.

jlhampton
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, I know for a fact that they are going to be long. I usually go with a 31 or 32 inseam, so the 33 will definitely be long. Will have to have them hemmed up to a 31 probably in order to fit well on the length...
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Charybdis wrote:Well, I know for a fact that they are going to be long. I usually go with a 31 or 32 inseam, so the 33 will definitely be long. Will have to have them hemmed up to a 31 probably in order to fit well on the length...
Keep in mind, too, that this style of pants is made to ride a bit higher on your waist than modern pants.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

So, I just ordered a pair of Todd's pants in my waist size and planned on having them tailored to length. I was sent 3 sizes too small and a quick check of their website shows them to be out of all sizes. Even their eBay store seems to only have a few pair and none in the size I ordered. I sent them an email asking for a call tag and a replacement pair in the correct size. I hope they don't come back with bad news as they are the only ones in my price range. I know they are a reputable dealer so I am confident they will help a brother out but I must say I am pretty disappointed to get the wrong thing that I have waited so long for.