My Wested Collection Comparison

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My Wested Collection Comparison

Post by steerpike »

These are my two LC/CS Wested jackets in novapelle in comparison.
Model #1 is with my regular size, with my personal specifics (24'' sleeve/24'' back), and Model #2 is more 'Skull', I mean, (24.75'' sleeve/25'' back).

I love so much both the jackets, and I think they fit me well, as though in different ways. But the most interesting thing is that the novapelle leather of the two is different!

in the long distance shot they seem identical, but in the close up you can see the different leather grain. I'm very happy to have this double choice, as for a unpredictable fate they have two different and equally great quality!

MODEL #1:

Image Image

MODEL #2:

Image Image

A comparative shot between Model #1 nd the original Last Crusade jacket:

Last edited by steerpike on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Re: My Wested Collection Comparison

Post by Holt »

I love'em. especially the darker one. and love the bottom picture with the original next to it. :tup:
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Awesome jackets!!! I've got 2 Novapelle myself and the leather is completely different...My first one is more like your lighter jacket; Really thick and grainy...

Ian
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yeah, steerpike... those are BOTH lovely jackets, but WOW, the grain on the leather of Model #1 is a beautiful thing to behold and like Holt said that comparison shot on the bottom is just GREAT!
Thanks for posting these!
:D :tup:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Wonderful comparison steerpike! My Novapelle is also more like your #1 with the more evident grain, really a great leather.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

A pair of shots of my LC #1 in natural light:

donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

steerpike- great jackets ! one question,are those wested pants your wearing in that LC comparison pic ? they look spot on for colour !
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

No, my pants are Magnoli Adventure pants in camel, perfect for the LC look :TOH:
sultan80
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by sultan80 »

Awesome jackets!

I have a US Wings 30th aniv. Legend in goatskin 48 size, but the jacket came too short from the back lenght (25.5"). Im 6.3"ft and 440lbs, and I really want a wested jacket LC in novapelle like yours, but I don't know if the perfect fit for me is a 48 size with 27" backlength or 50 size with 28" backlenght.

Any help will be aprecciated :D
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

On the Wested website there is a sizing table with the 'standard' measures for the various sizes. You could use that to decide what's the proper lenght for a 48 regular, or if you need, a 48 long, ect.
If it can help I'm a 38 regular and for the LC style I chose 1 inch longer measure than usual: 25 in sleeve and back.
sultan80
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by sultan80 »

Thanks steerpike. After days of deliberation, finally today I made my order to wested!. I choosed the custom LC, 50 size, 26.5 sleeve & 28" back lenght in dark novapelle. Cant wait to see my new jacket!

I will post some pictures when the jacket arrives
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Fine! I'll look forward to see your jacket pics! :tup:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Here's an update pic of the jacket 6 months old:

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Great jackets Steer! :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

It would be cool to see a duatone LC type leather, dark base with a lighter-natural looking distressed color on top of it.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Could I do it on this in novapelle? :-k
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Although it's not originally that dark, I would say that the Pre-Dis from Wested would be perfect for an LC jacket...I think that'll be the next Jacket I get a custom order going for...The skin is SPOT on for the look I think, or it is when it's been Pecard-ed once or twice and allowed to grow darker through use..The combination would look perfect I think.. When scraped the lighter undercolours show through clearly too, so it's rather good for that....

The Novapelle is good too, but to my eyes, a little too consistent in it's colouring to achieve that look? I'd go with the Pre-Dis... :TOH:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

You know in this hobby there's abit an interpretation from each of us, and what our eyes see or not see. IMO novapelle (althought is not the original leather) smash perfectly the LC look, in thickness, as we see it in the movie, but again, just my eyes and my taste.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Personally, I'm really digging the novapelle for the LC look...particularly thickness. Anyways, the LC started out as a pretty uniform looking jacket that was really heavily distressed as far as I can tell.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Heya Steer...

I'd agree from your photos above...They look great! ;)

I just happen to think that (as Indyoriginal stated), since the LC jacket was so heavily distressed that it had started wearing lighter than all the other films, the Pre-Dis has a head jump on that...

That said, the Novapelle is certainly rich enough to look great for LC, and your photos above show that really well...

:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

steerpike wrote:Could I do it on this in novapelle? :-k
Nice jackets, SP. I was trying to think of a leather texture that might accurately reproduce the look of the film jacket without having to do too much to it besides wear it. I think that the darker tones probably are from black shoe polish and possibly water. The lighter tones are possibly from the distressing, the natural color of the leather that has been broken underneath, due to sandpaper and the like.

I'd always wondered why one would try to order exactly what they saw on film and would not get exactly what they ordered. I have thought many times that the reason why Wested does not fill every order to the letter is that there could be some out there that might wish to distress a jacket and present it to be a "screen" jacket. There could potentially be frauds popping up everywhere and people trying to profit from a supposed "film" jacket. To this day, if you order a LC type jacket, you will receive leather facings inside it and the lining will be made of cotton and/or satin. To my understanding, there are reasons why these jacket orders are not always followed to the letter. I may be totally off base with these assumptions, but food for thought, nonetheless. :-k
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

None of the Wested LC jackets ever look like the movie version unless you demand the right specs. Holt's done pretty well there. The collar and pockets are never quite right unless you force the issue. My LC looks like a Raiders with snaps, which is what it is. These days Peter makes a odd combination of KotCS/LC which is a nice garment but not much like the film versions. :CR:
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

I ask for no leather facings for two of my LC jackets, and got what I asked for, along with other requests I've made. Like pocket size, pocket placement, SF width, back sleeve seam same as the front- no top stitch ect. And I've always got what I asked for? Maybe I'm lucky?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

dresden wrote:I ask for no leather facings for two of my LC jackets, and got what I asked for, along with other requests I've made. Like pocket size, pocket placement, SF width, back sleeve seam same as the front- no top stitch ect. And I've always got what I asked for? Maybe I'm lucky?
As I said - if you custom you may get the right look. But why should we have to? If it's an LC jacket it should look like one without our help.
Last edited by CM on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

As I said - if you custom it you may get the right look. But why should we have to? If it's an LC jacket it should look like one without our help.
You talkin' crazy man! Getting a product as advertized??? Unthinkable. What would we spend our time doing then? Not correcting vendors' mistakes? ](*,)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

IndyOriginal wrote:
As I said - if you custom it you may get the right look. But why should we have to? If it's an LC jacket it should look like one without our help.
You talkin' crazy man! Getting a product as advertized??? Unthinkable. What would we spend our time doing then? Not correcting vendors' mistakes? ](*,)
It's CRAZY!!! You knwo what, it was my experince with Wested that taught me never to accept what a manufacturer says at face value. That was about 9 years ago.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I agree. the CS/LC mixed jacket is a pretty nice jacket. I really like but for an accurate LC jacket you have to ask for mods.

the backpanel needs a makeover as it is to boxy and wide
the double stitched shoulders is only accurate for CS.
the collar needs to be untapered with a few other mods.
pocket placement
pocket shape
pocket flap shape.
sleeves
no facings
no hem seam
silky lining
and more....

or in other words it needs an extreme makeover..............MOVE THAT BUS!!!!!!!

:lol:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Holt everytime you tease us with that jacket it tugs at my heartstrings!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I have a Wested I purchased second-hand last year. I believe it is a LC version - in goatskin.
I was always a little on the fence about the color. It is too 'brown' for my tastes, at least from what I am used to seeing on screen in Raiders and TOD - but the LC jacket was always more brown looking on-screen.
I currently own the Wested and one of Todd's jackets.
Not sure if I eventually want to turn into a jacket-monger and keep buying different versions but it's always fun to see others wearing their choice.