A way to be SA & warm?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

A way to be SA & warm?

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I have often given thought to the idea of making an Indy jacket warmer by adding a knit wrist & cuffs to the jacket, but having them mounted inside the jacket so that they are hidden. This way you can get the plain waist & wrists but still keep the cold winter air out.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

Thanx!!!
Charlie
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: A way to be SA & warm?

Post by Mulceber »

Doesn't this basically accomplish the same thing?

ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Yeah, but who wants to lug a saxophone around everywhere? I mean it's not like it will fit in a MK V. :lol: :CR:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I believe Magnoli can customize an Indy jacket with a warmer flannel lining, but I don't know about the inner cuffs. He'd be your best bet if you wanted to go that route, though. Otherwise, you're stuck with the sax. ;)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Cuffs inside a sleeve rae a standard way to "winterfy" a leather jacket. Aero do it for various models as does G&B in their French pilot jacket. You couls ask G&B to customise an Indy this way. Make sure you use their woolen knits - they are fabulous. I would also an an alpaca or woolen lining.
Last edited by CM on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

SA, and it keeps you warm. :D
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

It's funny that you bring this up. I've really been thinking of this a lot lately.
I am wanting to have an "Indy Inspired" jacket that would be wind and winter appropriate.

I really liked this jacket when it was on Ebay a couple years ago. It had those cuffs inside the sleeves.

Chris
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That jacket is actually a full leather (0verall) flight suit from WW2 which has been cut in half - hence the slightly odd look of it. These suits had trousers and there was heating in them to keep the airman warm. But as I wrote before, cuffs inside a sleeve are a very common thing.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Just hang out in a burning bar
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

THis is a Paramount idea! (no pun intended)
I don't know how long I can last this winter in a sheer lambskin number, with the wind coursing through my cuffs....I am still a man of fashion, but I know even that won't last [-X ;)
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

A few years back some folks got quilted liners from U.S. Cavalry and other surplus stores, I used mine for a couple of days but it proved to be a bit too small and my local place didn't have spares in the right size.

The one I had was an M-65 jacket liner, like this:

http://www.rddusa.com/images/products/A ... JACKET.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They attach to jackets with buttons which would be easy to put into an Indy jacket.

Regards
Craig

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

I suppose it depends on how cold it is where you are, and how much you are actually outside in the elements. When I lived in Chicago, I tried for several years to find a combination of sweaters, thermal underwear, etc to wear with my leather "flight jacket" (with knit cuffs and waistband) which would keep me warm while waiting for the train when temperatures were below zero. I eventually came to the conclusion that there are not enough sweaters on the planet to keep you comfortable when your jacket doesn't extend lower than your waist. You simply loose too much heat through your hips, legs, and feet.

The solution was to purchase a longer (hip length) down parka and insulated boots. THEN I could wait for the train and be comfortable.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

I guess the easiest way to be SA and hacve cuffs in your jacket, is to be Indiana Jones in summer, and move to Harry Steele (Secret of the Incas) in winter, and you get an A2!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Me I just wear either my US wings SL, which is my heaveist Indy w/my Banana R shawl neck and I'm fine, and if the weathers going to be a tad warmer I'll put on my Wested hero which is my thinnest jacket. But with a good sweater, leather gloves (or in the coldest season, a pair of close enoughs w/fur inside :[ ) and I'm good to gooooooooooooooooo.

Croft :mrgreen:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Odo wrote:I guess the easiest way to be SA and hacve cuffs in your jacket, is to be Indiana Jones in summer, and move to Harry Steele (Secret of the Incas) in winter, and you get an A2!
And then when it gets still colder, move to Gary Cooper in "For Whom the Bell Tolls". He's wearing a British Irvin jacket, (though a studio made version that was had a bit lighter fleece)
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

How about a mil-type 'long john' top under the shirt, or the bottoms too in cold weather? 'Under Armor' makes some really high-quality cold-weather underwear too. I think if the jacket fits right with the long-sleeved shirt, a liner would make it too small. But, if your jacket is big on you, you probably could wear a mil field jacket liner under it. You'd have to sew on some buttons or Velcro to make a front closure since it's made to button into a field jacket. Or just a cardigan or commando sweater over the shirt. This is for moderate cold weather. I don't think the outfit can reasonably be made to be comfortable in deep cold. In reality, Indy would have been into hypothermia in 'Raiders' after being out in that ice storm or whatever it was going up to the Raven's bar.
I use my jacket in moderate weather but the next step is an A2* that's large enough for a tee shirt, long sleeve shirt and commando sweater under it, plus it has the knit cuffs and waistband. After that comes a leather 'M65 Field Jacket' that has a light pile insulation under the lining. After that, Indy is out the window and the real stuff comes out - Supplex nylon parka, etc.
Plus, the hat offers little protection from cold. The first thing you have to do is keep your head warm, and some of us have lost our natural fur protection on our domes :). The ears are subject to frostbite, so I guess if the hat is big enough you could wear a beanie or watch cap under it pulled down over the ears - but the hat would probably be stretched out of shape after that.

* This is an older Avirex jacket that is completely true to the late WWII A2 except it has a fuller cut. I found it used at a gun show probably 15 years ago in like-new shape. The guy I got it from was the show promoter and he always had a big set of tables loaded with cool stuff. He was into native American items, which turned out to be his downfall - he got busted for dealing in items that had eagle feathers and actually got sent up for that.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Mulceber wrote:Doesn't this basically accomplish the same thing?

Hey, I'm a sax player and that is a real sax - a 'curved soprano'. I really wonder what it was doing on the set???
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

The image belongs to "Mystery of the Blues", and the sax in key to the ending of that Young Indiana Jones chapter...
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

The only issue that I have with the Mystery of the Blues look is it is an awful lot of layers. My train of thought was just throw on a jacket & head out the door.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I believe Magnoli can customize an Indy jacket with a warmer flannel lining, but I don't know about the inner cuffs. He'd be your best bet if you wanted to go that route, though.
For linings we can do cotton, wool, cotton fleece (like those sports vests), faux fur... just depends how warm you want to get. And internal knit cuffs is no problem at all.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Bruce Wayne wrote:The only issue that I have with the Mystery of the Blues look is it is an awful lot of layers. My train of thought was just throw on a jacket & head out the door.
Personally, I believe in layers. You never know how warm or cold you might get and have to take one off, or if you have to give your jacket to a girl. But, that's my personal opinion. lol. I like the look of MOTB but with my raiders jacket its hard to layer. I'll just have to achieve the LC jacket!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Living in eastern NC I pretty much have to stick to layers around this time of year. 30 degree mornings and 60 degree days happen quite a bit!
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Anybody remember this one?

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/shearli ... p-154.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leave it to Mag....Looks warm enough for me. Here in Cache Valley out high yesterday was 18F.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I would say that the lack of a quilted lining defeats the purpose. All of those old leather jackets with hidden knits are more substantial than an Indy jacket. When you alter an Indy jacket and add a more substantial lining, it isn't really an Indy jacket anymore. There are really cool "other" jackets that are made to keep you warm and still maintain an adventure-esque aura about them. Retro-fitted jackets kind of have an odd-duck quality about them.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

For me, I like layering. A moderate weight sweater over shirt ...add jacket and then top coat! I have a Khaki long duster -- kind of a cross between a single breasted trench coat and traditional duster minus the cowboy/outback cape back (The Territory Ahead - from a few years back.) Rugged looking and has a zip-out wool liner. Looks great over the jacket and with fedoras, etc. Thus I can add this coat over a cow hide, horse hide, goat or lamb jacket without any problems and stay warm. Just my solution. W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Layering for me as well. The trick to keeping warm is not to layer TOO tightly around the body, as the trapped warm air pockets around the body is what keeps you warm....not the clothing itself.

I usually go tee-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater, then a slightly oversized outer jacket, usually my 44T Expedition. That way I can remove what I don't need one item at a time as things either warm up, or I'm inside more than I'm outside.

I've never been a fan of one single heavily insulated outer garment.

Even driving in a non-heated car with the window rolled down with wind chills of 15 degrees F or lower (yes, there's a reason for me to do that all the time), I'm still toasty warm with a scarf, gloves, ear muffs and an AB on top of my head.

Regards! Michaelson
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

It's kinda like surfing New England waters... you wear a really thick wetsuit.
You have to allow water to get into it initially, but then it warms to body temp and your fine.
(Unless the suit doesn't fit quite right and water keeps getting! :shock: )

It's always the initial plunge into the 40 degree water thats the shocker!
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

For me Patagonia's Capilene base layers work best for those chilly adventures. Capilene is a moisture-wicking polyester fabric that keeps you warm even when wet and it dries quickly.