Indy arabian tunic...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Jeez, Doc. I thought you'd forgotten all about this. You know I wanted one before you even got yours. :wink:
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Remember, Doc found his over a year ago and nothing has happened yet. It all depends on when Doc heads back over to Tunisia.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Well, I'd be interested too, if this ever revives, in both tunic and turban (if I can swing it then...) My old djellaba has gone to pieces anyway.
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:) Where are you Doc? I sent you countless emails.....

Regards
TAZ
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Guys, Doc's time might be a little limited right now due to a illness in the family. I'm sure he'll pop in if he has time.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Doc:
I hope that all works out. I have been through that several times, with both good and sad results. Be strong. Our prayers are with you.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

I'd certainly be interested in getting a shesh (Berber head cover) in Tuareg blue if you're ever over there. I was there last year but the one I got was just too short.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Indy arabian tunic...

Post by Imahomer »

I've seen those type tunics In Syria, Jordon and also (I believe) Lebanon. I don't think I'll be going there, but my wife and I are planning a trip in which we'll be traveling for 2 weeks, then I fly home. My wife may swing into Lebanon though. If she does, I'll have her look for some of these and if she finds some, pick a few up.

Mike
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Very cool. As I wrote in the other tunic thread I started, I'm going to Tunesia soon. I don't think I'll get anywhere near the place where Doc got his tunic though. I don't think I can persuade the missus to go chasing after a tunic that far from where we're vacationing, but I'll try and see if there's a guy who sells something similar where we're going.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

are they still available?

Kyle
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

So... Got back from Tunesia last night and it was a great trip... Unfortunately I didn't find a tunic that resembles Indy's :( I searches so many shops, the marked and the medina for it, but nothing came even close :( It wasn't actually a pleasure searching either because the tunesians I showed the pics of Doc's tunic would just find me something they considered a close match.

They didn't understand that I didn't want anything but a tunic that looked exactely like Indy's. So I got into a lot of 'no, no like this! Like in the picture!' while they just wanted to sell me whatever they could find. Some of them even got rude, when I didn't want to buy what they had found for me. VERY exasperating.

So I figured I'll just have it custom made by a talented seamtress I know and have dealt with before. I'll get a prototype made, and if it turns out nice, I make an interest list here :)
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

Kredepops wrote:So... Got back from Tunesia last night and it was a great trip... Unfortunately I didn't find a tunic that resembles Indy's :( I searches so many shops, the marked and the medina for it, but nothing came even close :( It wasn't actually a pleasure searching either because the tunesians I showed the pics of Doc's tunic would just find me something they considered a close match.

They didn't understand that I didn't want anything but a tunic that looked exactely like Indy's. So I got into a lot of 'no, no like this! Like in the picture!' while they just wanted to sell me whatever they could find. Some of them even got rude, when I didn't want to buy what they had found for me. VERY exasperating.

So I figured I'll just have it custom made by a talented seamtress I know and have dealt with before. I'll get a prototype made, and if it turns out nice, I make an interest list here :)
Too bad. :(
I hope it's still there!

On a better note i'd love to have a custom tunic also!
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

I got a reply from the seamstress yesterday. She sounds like she's up for the project :D - She's very talented, she made me SA tunics for a Assassin's Creed costume last year. She told me she had to find the right fabric before she could give me a quote on the tunic, so I'll keep you posted on how it turns out :)
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

That's pretty awesome!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Yes, Very cool!!!

Kyle
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

AWESOME!!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I am looking forward to what is being done on this. This seems one of those tunics that is really hard to find even in Tunisa the exact color and everything. Very awesome story Kredepops, look forward to seeing what your friend produces.

IndianaChris
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Sorry for the long long silence. It seems the seamstress I first contacted is very busy, doesn't answer emails regularly :( BUT my brother-in-law's girlfriend is studying to be a seamstress and she is very much up to the task.

She has produced some beautiful looking japanese robes recently, and when I showed her the pics of Indy's robe, she was pretty confident that she could do that no problem. So stay tuned - we're going to make a prototype robe after the holidays.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Sounds great, thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the prototype. As with high talent, they seem to be very busy, glad your brother-in-law's girlfriend is up to the task. Keep us updated.

IndianaChris
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Any updates??

IndianaChris
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

So sorry I kinda forgot about this... my brother in law's girlfriend is very backed up on orders :( She's unemployed, so she's stressed out doing seamstress work to pay the bills and I can't bring myself to pester her with the robe at this time. I have another seamstress I could contact, but she's in the U.S. and I don't know how busy she is. I'll try to contact her again today.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Kredepops wrote:So sorry I kinda forgot about this... my brother in law's girlfriend is very backed up on orders :( She's unemployed, so she's stressed out doing seamstress work to pay the bills and I can't bring myself to pester her with the robe at this time. I have another seamstress I could contact, but she's in the U.S. and I don't know how busy she is. I'll try to contact her again today.
Well it is alright, people forget things, I forgot myself about this till yesterday. Whatever you can find out would be awesome as I don't think there is anyone who makes these. Sounds like your brother-in-law's girlfriend is stressed out. I hope things get better for her in the future.

IndianaChris
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thanks Chris, I think she'll be alright, she's starting school again in a month, so maybe she'll have some time for projects like this soon.

I contacted the seamstress in the U.S. a few days ago, but she hasn't answered yet, I might put up a commission thread over on cosplay.com about the robe, people can contact me that way if they're interested in the project.

EDIT: Just got this email from Catherine (the seamstress) :D

Christian,

Great to hear from you again! Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you regarding this costume. It looks like Indy has three parts to this outfit:

- Robe with decorative trim
- Head wrap
- Waist sash

I did a little research, and I think Indy's head wrap is pretty similar to what is shown here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2283838_wrap-cloth-turban.html, with a little extra fabric draped over his neck.

How should the waist sash attach? Is it tied in the back?

Thanks!
Catherine L. Jones

Anything you guys would add?
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

This is great news, I don't know if there is anything I would add I would have to look at the film and see anything that I think looks out of the ordinary. Maybe some of the other members can chime in, but it sounds good to me right now.

IndianaChris
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

did a little research, and I think Indy's head wrap is pretty similar to what is shown here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2283838_wrap-cloth-turban.html, with a little extra fabric draped over his neck.
It can be wrapped differently. When I was in Douz, Tunisia I was shown how to wrap it. It's impossible to explain without showing it though. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUyw3X1TcM

It's the second method that I learned

By the way, that shesh looks pretty close to the size of a Tuareg shesh which is 11 meters long.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

JulianK wrote:
did a little research, and I think Indy's head wrap is pretty similar to what is shown here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2283838_wrap-cloth-turban.html, with a little extra fabric draped over his neck.
It can be wrapped differently. When I was in Douz, Tunisia I was shown how to wrap it. It's impossible to explain without showing it though. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUyw3X1TcM

It's the second method that I learned

By the way, that shesh looks pretty close to the size of a Tuareg shesh which is 11 meters long.
That's great!! Thanks for posting that! It's basically just a really long piece of cloth, you can find that anywhere, so I don't think the seamstress needs to provide that or the sash for that matter. I'm awaiting her response with a quote. I'm gonna make her sew a prototype for me and if successfull, you guys can go ahead and order more from her. I've mentioned that I know others who're interested.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Sweet this is great news! :D Thanks Kredepops for finding someone that could make something like this.

IndianaChris
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

I'll let you all know when she comes back with a quote :) - Hope she hasn't forgotten about me...
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

So FINALLY the seamstress came back with a quote. She must have been very busy.

Anyhow... I'm not particularly thrilled with the price. In fact I don't understand how it can be so expensive when she made me two lined tunics for my assassins creed costume for $200 including shipping.

If anybody has the dough to spend here's her contact info. I don't have that kind of money to spend, so I'll keep looking

Indiana Jones Tunic Costume
- Open front jacket/tunic (off white/grey with trim, linen, lined)

- Head Wrap (white, approx 15 ft long, 10 inches wide, cotton gauze)

- Sash (white, approx 6 ft long, 20 inches wide, cotton gauze)

TOTAL ESTIMATE: $400.00 + shipping

This is just a general estimate as I'm not sure of pricing for the trim or the final lengths for the head wrap and sash, but it should give you a good ballpark idea of pricing. I think linen will look really nice for the jacket, and cotton gauze (since it will get nice wrinkles like your references) will be great for the wrap and sash. I did some research for the head wrap, and a traditional turban wrap should be around 15ft (5 meters) long. However, Indy's appears to have a lot of extra fabric draped around his neck and over his shoulders, so I suspect it should maybe be longer than 15 ft?

Let me know how you'd like to proceed!

Thanks!

Catherine L. Jones (Owner)
God Save the Queen Fashions, LLC
3780 Old Norcross Road
Suite 103, PMB 523
Duluth, GA 30096
678-595-4161

info@godsavethequeenfashions.com
http://www.godsavethequeenfashions.com
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

$400 smackers :shock: Well I was not expecting that amount. I can get a jacket from Wings for that amount. She must be very busy to charge $400. I don't think I am interested at this time if the amount is going to be that, but at least she is willing to make these for us. Thanks Kredepops for the update and for doing all the legwork on this project. :clap: Maybe someone else has got $400 dollars to shell out like that on an arabian tunic. If it was closer to $200 I would probably buy it just knowing this person does excellent work. I guess you have a price to pay for the best of the best.

IndianaChris
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Would it be less expensive in cotton?

LJ
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

IndianaChris711 wrote:$400 smackers :shock:

IndianaChris
No kidding! I was expecting about $200 too, but I can't justify spending that much on a tunic. She does incredible work though, I was just under the impression that the Indy tunic would be WAY easier to make than the Assassins creed tunics she made me last year.
IndianaChris711 wrote:Thanks Kredepops for the update and for doing all the legwork on this project
No problem :) I'm just sorry it took so long to get a quote from her :(

Anyhow, I'll just have to see if I can find another seamstress that can make the tunic for less. I'll keep you posted if I find somebody.
Another way is to post a 'WTB' thread over on 'cosplay.com' that way interested seamstresses can bid in on the project. I might do that.

Long John Tinfoil - I don't know, I'm hesitant about writing her again, because she's sooo slow to answer emails. You're welcome to email her, if you want using contact info above.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Is there any where else to get material like this? I only ask because I'm going to Tunisia at the end of the month. That being said, do you think the shop the village of Nefta is still there?

Kyle
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

If it is, and the tunics are available, buy the whole stock and make a LOT of us happy!

LJ
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

i second that!
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

How much would people be willing to pay for a good replica robe? I'm just testing the waters here :)
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Good timing, kredepops! I was just about to search for this thread :TOH: I'm hoping to stick close to the 150 dollar mark. Weird there's not more of these on the boards.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I think a number of us around here would be interested, myself included. Wow, and I was just thinking about this long-dead thread....What are the odds?
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

I think about it quite often lol I think $150 for the whole shebang is reasonable. Maybe Todd should tackle it lol

Best
TAZ
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

That sounds resonable. I'm still trying to get one of these made, with the help of HD screenshots I got alot of really good reference material. My sister-in-law is a professional seamstress and she is interested in trying to make one, if it turns out good, we may start a limited run. It all depends on how hard/easy it'll be for her, it each one will take her a long time to make, it's not going to happen, but if we can make it work and find all the correct trimming for the sleeves and front. Materials are also an issue of course.

I won't promise anything yet but I want one as much as you guys, so I'll do my best to get it done.
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Best of luck on figuring this out. :) Cannot wait to hear more soon!
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

We've succesfully sourced the trim on the sleeves and the opening in front. We're taking care that this will be as SA as possible. We've compared Doc's robe with the HD screenshots, and although it's very close, it's not an exact copy. The trim is slightly different on his and most likely of a different material than on the original, which seems much more dull in colour than Doc's - which is more shiny (most likely because it's not cotton, but a synthetic material).

We're going to have a meeting this Sunday and go material shopping next week. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Kredepops on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

YAY!!!! Sounding really exciting matey:)

Best
TAZ
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Mate, Id be keen!
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Cool, we're still trying to find out how long it'll take her to make one, and find the right colour for the tunic, that greyish colour is hard to find.

IF we get this made, we'll only do one size (Harrison Ford's size) to keep costs down.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

*BUMP*

Has anything become of this lately??? :-k
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Sorry no, we had some trouble finding the correct trim for the sleeves and front opening, and since she's been busy with her education and I've been busy with work we havn't really had time to go further with this. I'll let you know if we ever get to it, sorry :S Sometimes I wish the day had more hours, I never seem to be able to do half the stuff I want to.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

I know this thread is ANCIENT... but I finally completed my Arab disguise.

displayed here on my Indy mannequin - he does a much better job of modelling it than I do. I got the thobe on ebay, but I had my extremely talented sister-in-law modify it by opening the front and making the slits on either side.
The turban fabric is from ebay too, 7 meters of crinkly egyptian cotton no less. The sash is regular egyptian cotton (thicker weave) I bought on a trip to Tunesia. I already had the staff and medallion, satchel and the rest of the clothes.

Links to the Thobe seller on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271906955719?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine is light grey.

Link to the Turban fabric seller, you need at least 7 meter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371509127476?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Better late than never. Excellent job! :clap:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thanks Jeff, I can't believe it's been so long though. Time really flies. I'd been looking for a thobe with the right cut and colour for ages and I had given up and suddenly I found this one on ebay that with some modification could easily become a great Raiders thobe. Some details are missing though but I believe it's the best I can get for now.