The dilemma...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The dilemma...

Post by CM »

I'm a 42 in a suit. My G&B 42T fits perfectly - it's not large at all. Not sure what that means....
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Fair enough folks. The Expedition is a great jacket, I just think they're a little larger than they need to be.
Sorry to dredge up this old arguement again. Carry on! :TOH:
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Well, a couple of years ago I posted this thread asking for measurements for G&B size 40 jackets. At the time I also communicated with Jessica at G&B, who informed me that size 40 expos were 25 1/4" pit to pit. If correct, that is rather big...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering there are 2 inch wide gussets in the armpits, one can only wonder if she measured with the sleeves spread out, or it they were laid to the side of the jacket. :-k

That gusset really throws off measurements. :lol:

I just this minute pulled out my 44T Expo, which is an OTR, and measured pit to pit from center to center of the gussets with the jacket zipped up. It measures exactly 24 inches, which is industry standard for chest size plus 4 inches give or take for room to move to make it a size 44. I have a 41 inch chest and can wear a 42, but I always go with the 44 to give my, uh, stomach, a bit more room. :[

I got a 'tall' to give me more length for when I'm driving the old Plymouth in colder weather. It keeps my lower back warm. A G&B 44 fits me perfectly.

I have NO clue what she could have been measuring for a size 40 to give you 25+ inches from pit to pit. . :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah...that's gotta be it. I just measured my Expo 42 and came up with 21 NOT counting the footballs...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's a better description than the original 'Mick Jagger lips', remember Todd? :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
thefunkybat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by thefunkybat »

Wow - looks like my "dilemma" has brought out the dilemma in all of us...

I can really appreciate all the advice, even if people are trying to point me towards getting an Expedition...but I don't think I'm quite there yet. It looks like a cool jacket, and I appreciate what everyone is saying about the build quality, but may not be quite what I'm looking for...don't necessarily plan on being dragged under trucks anytime soon ;-)

I think I kind of had it in mind that I would buy a LC jacket with a tougher leather for something I feel comfortable beating up, and have a Raiders jacket in a nicer, lighter leather for now for something all-around. Not necessarily how it's going to go - just what I had in mind.

I have started to take a harder look at US Wing's 30th anniversary - I like the taper of the back panel - similar to Wested's standard Raiders. The only irk I have with it is that the collar seems a bit bigger and doesn't extend over the storm flap - but those are pretty minor.

I would say the biggest quality I'm looking for is for something that looks more fitted (i.e. no shoulder drape). I know that goes agains the "Indy" look - but it's more a personal preference. Which rules out the Wested "Hero" jacket.

My second biggest quality is that the collar points look more pointed than rounded - and from what I've seen in pics, that puts Todd's and US Wings on higher spots than the Wested Raiders (unless Mr. Botwright would be willing to do a custom jacket with the collar cut so that the ends are more pointed).
serrecuir wrote:
thefunkybat wrote:Also, I take it there's no-one here living in metro Detroit that could let me try their's on.
thefunkybat wrote:50R is a bit big for me, but I'll check it out...
Funkybat,

I'm currently in Pontiac for work and have my Wested and new Todd's jacket with me. You haven't mentioned what your actual size is yet, but my jackets are a size 40R and Medium, respectively. I'm happy to let you try them on, if these are your size.

Kind regards,
Craig
Craig - that sounds awesome. I'm not quite sure about my size - I have a 40 leather jacket, and a 42 suit jacket. That would be great if we could meet up - go ahead and PM with your number - we can figure something out.

BTW - what happened to Todd's prices - didn't it used to be $150?
thefunkybat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by thefunkybat »

BTW - how do I get access to the Bazaar? Some of the links I've found said I'm "not authorized", and I would really like to consider some of the things people are posting for sale...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It is. Keep posting informative threads, and it will suddenly appear like magic. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Nightgoat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nightgoat »

Man, sometimes all of the decisions that have to be made about gear makes my head swim. I have fretted over so many details over and over again. I've scoured the web looking at hundreds of pics of boots, jackets, fedoras, pants, shirts, belts, etc. I feel your pain. I am waiting on a Raiders fedora that I spent over a month of research on before deciding on a vendor. I had to return my Todd's pants (which are awesome) twice before getting the right fit and the same with my 405s wasting precious dollars on shipping costs. All that and I still have to get a jacket. Lol! ](*,)
thefunkybat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by thefunkybat »

Alright...

I'm a big believer in "try it before you buy it." Unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone here lives close to the metro Detroit area, so that throws that one out the window. :(

HOWEVER...

It seems like Todd's and US Wings 30th Anniversary lambskin are the two jackets that have all the features I'm looking for within my price range (lightweight enough for summer, sharper points on the collar, a more fitted look and tapering back panel). So what I think I'll do is buy one from each, try them both, and select the one I think looks best on me and return the other.

Time to figure out my size and place some orders...
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

The dilemma...

Post by ShanghaiJack »

That sounds like a dangerous plan. I'd be too tempted to keep 'em both!
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

And so it begins...

[-o<