New member from Serbia

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

New member from Serbia

Post by Misa »

First I would like to greet all members of the forum and say a few words about me. My name is Misa and I live in Zrenjanin, Serbia. I'm an archaeologist by profession, and you probably guessed who was the inspiration for this, however, real life in archeology course, is not like a movie. Back in elementary school I wanted to have bullwhip, but at that time was very difficult in my country and the idea just grew in my head. Several times I tried to find people who are familiar with leather braiding, so I can learn, but every time I found someone, they were very closed to cooperation. A few years ago I managed to buy a book by Ron Edwards Whips and whipmaking. Of course the great help I found on youtube and especially bernie46 channel.
So far I have made small items like key lenyards and necklaces as well as smaller whips of four strings. A month ago I started my first real bullwhip. Unlike most people on this forum I have no money and no way to find a good skin like a kangaroo. I use HTZ leather which here used to make items for working protection, gloves and aprons for welders etc. It is cowhide and has a lot of weak parts, which I have to avoid. Curentlly I cut final set of 12 strings for owerlay and its hardest part. When I finish whip I will post picture. The main reason for my joining this forum is to learn something new and the forum rules I saw, that the members with zero posts will be removed and I do not want to be that one. But I wonder how I can contribute to the forum as a beginner? Thanks to all who contribute to the creativity of the forum and I hope that my observations, which i will soon post on forum, will help someone.

P.S. I apologize for bad grammar, I have never studied English in school. :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: New member from Serbia

Post by Oildale Jones »

Welcome to the club! I just received Ron Edwards's book today and spent part of the evening reading it and poring over the illustrations, thinking, "I can do this."
(Because what I need right now is ANOTHER project.)

There is plenty to learn here, and opportunities to share. You might have the solution to someone else's problem, or they might have the solution to yours
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmm.....

Oops. The Ambien kicked in hard this morning. Maybe aliens have taken over my brain.

Your English is satisfactory. Light years beyond my Serbian. If that's even what you speak.'

Come on in, hang out, post your projects, get feedbadk...maybe even sell a couple will sell. Let's see what ya got!
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Hi Misa, welcome on board! Be certain there's a lot of valuable members (as human beings as well as whipmakers) in here. Most of them will be very glad to help you out on any doubt you have on your projects. Just feel free to ask.

About posting, I think the idea is to post now and then, not necessarily professional, expert advice. Sometimes aknowledging what someone else does, giving your point of view and the like are more than enough. As you learn, you'll find you can help others, as many in here help amateurs. We want to know you're really interested in participating rather than just creating an account at COW for G-d knows what ulterior reasons without participating (Mods, correct me if I'm wrong :[ )

Have a great weekend,

Aldo.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

As aldo said, if you ever have ANY questions, just feel free to ask and we'll be happy to answer them as best we can. :TOH:
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Thank you for your support. I decided to put these three pictures, I know that you saw many similar, but these are mine. The first photo is the second braided belly, and the second photo is final bolster, which is long 240 cm, or if you like 8 foot. By the way, great for cracking even without cracker. Last picture is my attempt of transition from one to another braiding. As the skin stretches a lot of the gaps created in diamond plaited section. Now i try to solve problem. This 12 plaited section is not full length, it is just a scrap of leather i use for experiment. When I finish the whole whip, i will post photo.
All the best for all world wide whip makers.

[img=http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9366/img8319copy.th.jpg]
[img=http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3356/img8190copy.th.jpg]
[img=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4853/img8113copy.th.jpg]
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Welcome to COW, Misa!

From those photos, it looks like you're off to a great start. I can't wait to see the finished whip. Don't worry about contributing. Everyone, even the illustrious moderators–Holt comes to mind– were once beginners. Well, everyone but Michaelson, he just remembers the BEGINNING! :rolling: :CR:
And I'd say you're contributing a lot more than I did with my first post.

High regards,

Brian
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Thanks, I appreciate the support :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ShanghaiJack wrote: Well, everyone but Michaelson, he just remembers the BEGINNING!High regards,

Brian

[-X ;)
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

:Plymouth:

Wait a minute...maybe this isn't the best place to hide :anxious:
:lol:
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Reading the forum I noticed that members sometimes do not know what they
can still make. I would put pictures of the slingshot that I made, because it
is good for beginners in leather braiding . Made from calf leather 4
string. I know it is a forum dedicated to the development of whips, but
perhaps this is a good refresher for those who want to try some similar
projects. The best way to overcome the braiding in the beginning is to
first have a lot foot of 4 string in your hands (COMPLETED...
BRAIDED)...if you understand me... :-k :-k So if you allows i will post pictures
url's of that projects... ALL THE BEST
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I'm just getting started with whipmaking and could use all the braiding practice I can get. Plus, I imagine my boys could have some fun with a slingshot. Thanks for the idea, Misa. :TOH:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Misa wrote:Reading the forum I noticed that members sometimes do not know what they
can still make. I would put pictures of the slingshot that I made, because it
is good for beginners in leather braiding . Made from calf leather 4
string. I know it is a forum dedicated to the development of whips, but
perhaps this is a good refresher for those who want to try some similar
projects. The best way to overcome the braiding in the beginning is to
first have a lot foot of 4 string in your hands (COMPLETED...
BRAIDED)...if you understand me... :-k :-k So if you allows i will post pictures
url's of that projects... ALL THE BEST
The bullwhips forum of this is not only for indiana jones bullwhips, but any whips. As for the whip making part of it, it can stray

some as in, recently someone was asking how to do a certain braid they saw in some clothing, since a lot of us here are

braiders/plaiters it was a good place to go. We'd like to see the pictures :TOH:
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

a brief description

Slingshot is made of calf leather. Pocket for a stone is made of three layers.The middle layer is the also belly for both end of the braided part of slingshot. Dimension of slingshot depend of user arm s length. I cut 4 string about 7 mm wide each, for both side. One end, I finish whit double crown knot, and second, when finish round braided part I make transition on 4 flat braid, then turn back and again plait 4 round plait. Pocket part I strengthened whit other stronger leather

For further details, just ask
:whip: :whip:
Last edited by Misa on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

That's awesome :tup: