Indy Boot Options

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

What quality/price level do you favor?

Average $75-$99
8%
Better $110-$125
25%
Best $165-$185
67%

Total votes: 63

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Indy Boot Options

Post by Texan Scott »

I checked the price on a good pair of Redwings-six inch boots online yesterday, and they are selling for $240-$260.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Also I think we have an interesting dynamic going on here in that though everyone sees the name, Todd's Costumes, people want the stuff that they buy from him, or any other vendor to hold up. It is somewhat of an American phenomena, in that we want good value and quality. Who really says, I'll just buy a cheap pair of boots that looks exactly like the look I want to achieve, and if they tear up in 6 months, then that is allright with me...? As 'M' mentioned, the boots are the most used and useful part of the gear that you will purchase, the most used and practical part of 'the look', and if they are worn outside of costuming purposes, like every day, then ideally you would want that kind of quality.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Texan Scott wrote:Also I think we have an interesting dynamic going on here in that though everyone sees the name, Todd's Costumes, people want the stuff that they buy from him, or any other vendor to hold up. It is somewhat of an American phenomena, in that we want good value and quality. Who really says, I'll just buy a cheap pair of boots that looks exactly like the look I want to achieve, and if they tear up in 6 months, then that is allright with me...? As 'M' mentioned, the boots are the most used and useful part of the gear that you will purchase, the most used and practical part of 'the look', and if they are worn outside of costuming purposes, like every day, then ideally you would want that kind of quality.
I'm guessing that's part of why Todd's gear is SOLD by "Todd's Costumes" store, but the brand he sells is "Coyle's". That's how I see it. Todd's Costumes is the store, not the gear.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

wellofsouls wrote:
Michaelson wrote:
wellofsouls, Aldens are first and foremost orthopedic platforms. They're not just 'boots' in the sense of the word. They were created to build foot correction devices on, so there's a reason for the cost. The design is completely different in construction than, say, a Redwing, and therefore more expensive in that regard.

Regards! Michaelson
I never knew that...I thought they were a hold-over from some time in the past when Aldens perhaps made both work and dress footwear, and that one "made the cut" into the modern world.
Nope. That's what the 'Tru-balance system' is all about, as well as the reason for the weird shaped heel.

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Hopefully I'm not making this a lesson in tautology [ ;) _ ] but they say a $200 pair of shoes will last exactly twice as long as a $100 pair of shoes, but a $300 pair of shoes will last a lifetime.

I've proven this true over and over. Belvederes and Cole Hahns last twice as long as Bostonians, but they will all fall apart before the Allen Edmonds and Aldens.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I didn't want to just say the same thing that has already been said, but I was reminded of that old saying about the value of shoes. I think everyone is pretty much saying the same thing though...you get what you pay for.

And bait? Me? Never. Sometimes a poke, a jab, or even a taunt, but never bait \:D/
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...Booty, boot, boot! :P
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

People that don't see the value in paying a premium for a lifelong product (clothing, shoes, watches etc.) will never understand. Example: A lot of my friends think I'm crazy for buying a pair of $400 Aldens, or Church shoes, when they can buy 4 pairs of shoes! I say well my shoes will last a lifetime (especially if you are purchasing timeless classic shoes that don't ever go out of style) because of construction, materials etc. They just say, "Ah well it was $100 or $50 for my shoes, and when they are dead I'll buy a new pair". They don't get it. Some people won't. And that is perfectly OK with me.

Honestly, once you understand that value (and some people won't), you will actually save money in the long run for not having to constantly buy new products. I can honestly say, I saved up for my first pair of Aldens, and it was worth it. I also saved up for my TNO Raiders jacket as well, by saving and selling off all my other (3) Indy jackets to pay for it. It took time, but it was well worth it. And I don't make a lot of money, or have a lot left over after paying for all the monthly bills. Saving takes time, and it's worth it to me.

This is all of course, my opinion in this type of purchase. I don't want others to think I think less of them because they don't have the same mentality as I do when it comes to this.
And also, it is, and was very hard to convince my GF (who lives with me) how this operates. She has now come around, and see's the light (at least for my purchasing habits). She thought I was crazy, but after having certain items for years now, and still be able to wear them and they are still in great condition, she understands completely. But she likes to get MORE of something for her $$$. She would rather buy a few things for the price of one premium product. I think more of something is a girl thing no? (Can I say tons of shoes, jackets, etc??? :lol: )

If Todd is going to be selling a pair of "Indy" boots as option 3 states, there is probably no doubt, especially if they are at least Red Wing quality, they will last. They will be worth the investment.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

TheExit148 wrote:This is all of course, my opinion in this type of purchase. I don't want others to think I think less of them because they don't have the same mentality as I do when it comes to this.
I don't think that people don't get it, so much as, regardless of the perceived quality, etc., some cannot justify spending alot of money for a heavy use boot, and for various and sundry reasons, etc., ie they only wear them ever once and awhile, etc., whereas others use them most every day, like any other pair of shoes. I'm thinking that there possibly should be two pairs of shoes offered: one upper tier and one lower, precisely for that reason. You not only fill needs, but you cater to certain values and wants of a buyer.
wellofsouls
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wellofsouls »

Maybe "Todd's Gear" would be a better name than Todd's Costumes? :D

I should say that I wasn't trying to imply that Alden's are anything like a ripoff - I was merely using it as an example of a shoe that could probably be made for less money from a smaller operation with less overhead and less built in name recognition. I think the original thread was about what price point Todd should make a new boot at, and I span out of control - sorry. (Span is the past tense of spin here in TN.)
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

_ wrote:At the risk of being redundant and therefore true by definition, I believe the consensus seems to be "You get what you pay for."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
Agreed. :tup:
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I've seen those making the case for having a lesser expensive alternative to the higher priced shoes, and the case for having a higher price, better quality shoe... and I agree with both... Texan Scott mentioned the idea of having two models, one with better quality and one being more affordable. I agree there wholeheartedly with this, since I have learned something recently that has really stuck with me: it's not always about what an item is truly worth, but instead what it's worth to the buyer. Some people buy the lesser expensive, replaceable item because either they don't plan on using it frequently, or just that at that moment that's all the product is worth to them. Others may wish to save up the money to buy the more expensive, higher quality item that they're planning on using every day.

Either way, I have a feeling that the shoes Todd goes with will still be of high quality, considering that the other products he sells surely are, even while keeping the price more affordable. And I'll likely be keeping an eye out for them while trying to save my own money for a pair of Aldens; and I may just go with Todd's when they're available.

:D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Heavens yes, APL, ANYTHING he makes will be top drawer! :M: :tup: He was just asking opinions, and we're giving out thoughts on the subject and why.....but anything he makes will be top drawer.

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I voted for option 2 mainly based on price point but with a few other considerations. I have seen a few post concerned about repairability of the boot but Todd's current inexpensive boot has been proven to be repaired successfully so that seems to be a moot point for me.

I also have bad feet, flat (no arch), narrow, fractured my right cuboid at age 12 which never healed correctly, and fractured several metatarsals in high school and college. In stating all that the most expensive pair of shoes I currently own are Todd's current Outdoorsman boots. I do use Dr. Scholl's custom fit orthotics in all my shoe's on a regular basis for added comfort and to help alleviate back pain.

I would welcome an upgrade of Todd's current boot at the # 2 price point but I could not justify spending the money on the # 3 option at all.
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Puppetboy wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone. BTW, you can go back and change your vote if you change your mind.

I know everyone would likes the "ultimate" stuff, but I see tons of threads of guys looking for cheap "close enough" boots. It makes me wonder how many guys really would BUY the ultimate stuff, compared with the number of guys that just want to SEE the ultimate stuff...does that make sense? When it comes down to YOUR wallet, how much do you really want to spend?

-Todd
Hey Todd,

I have bought just about everything "Indy" from you and may I say "you never disappoint me". [-X
I will definitely purchase the highest quality boot from you. :lol:
At the price you are offering, it is already "the ultimate boot with an ultimate price". :clap:

So HURRY UP! \:D/

George :TOH:
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I can see an awful lot of good arguments from those favoring option 3 versus 2...In truth, there isn't a lot of price difference...I just see a 'sweet spot' at the $100+ range...It's easy to justify a pair of shoes around that range, but as you get closer to $200 and up, it's harder to swing. Still, if it's a shoe that's made well enough to last for years, it's money well spent.

Is there a category for 2 1/2? Guess I'm on the fence now.
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

I have had my Coyles Indy boots for about three years now, from the first batch, and I have to say that they have held up admirably. I have only had to take them to the cobbler once for some half sole,s and with that and regular maintenance no troubles. I havent really worn them full time, like alot of people here have. I usually reserve them for the fall through spring season. Summer is just too hot here for a boot like that. I would be willing to shell out some bucks for a superior product. Cant wait to see what Todd comes up with this round.

Cheers
Bravo
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I went with Option 3, although even 2 is an improvement on most of the drech retailers push at you these days. I guess I'm just not a fan of throwaway products that can't be repaired, and I believe that buying one good one and taking care of it makes more sense than getting a cheaper product over and over.

This has been an interesting read, and it reminded me of a guy I worked with once who bought a used Rolls-Royce to be his daily driver. His view was that he'd never have to buy another car as long as he kept up the maintenance. My personal example is a pair of "Serengeti Drivers" I bought over 25 years ago (when I was still single and they still made sunglasses with glass lenses) for something like $100. I just had the frames replaced and they're still going strong. Mrs. Tinfoil, on the other hand, buys one or two pair of new sunglasses each and every year at prices ranging from $5 to $20 and says she'd never pay more for any non-prescription eyewear. You can do the math...

LJ
afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afterthedog »

Something I haven't noticed addressed here is who makes the majority of purchases from Todd. Is it primarily Gearheads from forums like this, or is it people looking for a costume piece? If it's Gearheads, then I think this thread has proven that option 3 is the way to go, but if it's costume piece seekers, then a lower priced boot may be the way to go.
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

My vote was option 2 and here is why. I own a pair of Aldens from around the 2006 era and dropped ,I think, $275 on them. Compared to today's prices this is a bargain, however, one reason for that purchase was all the talk about how they are the most comfortable boot in the forever expanding universe. Well, I got news. They are not. I've worn them quite a bit and I like them and all. It's just that they are not the greatest, ultimate, super whahzoo boot in the world. I can handle about 2-3 hours tops before I'm ready to take a load off. Working in the construction field for many years, my go to boot of choice will forever be the old Sears Diehards ,which in the work I did, would by far outlast Aldens and beat them in comfort by a long shot, and the price....between $70-$80. My point is that one does not have to spend $150 plus for a great, quality pair of footwear. Now, the cost of manufacturing and all that goes into what Todd is trying to do, that's something else and I don't know too much about it, but I do know that these days I'm not always so eager to put down a lot of money on something just because of that old saying.." you get what you pay for." That's not always the case.

jlhampton
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I can see those that want #2 (which I would go for if offered) but I'd rather have #3 which I voted. Still quite a bit cheaper than Alden's.
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

I gotta go with jlhampton. I'm currently wearing a pair of $100.00 Red Wings and they are super comfortable for work. I'd love to get a pair of Alden's, but the price point and the leather sole kind of rule them out for me.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Weston wrote:I voted for #3. I'm way to poor to buy cheap stuff!

Weston
:tup:
Option three.