HERO or new ROLA custom? (Warning: large images)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

HERO or new ROLA custom? (Warning: large images)

Post by nihil »

I'm in the process of getting a new Indy jacket, as the one I got currently isn't completely what I want.

Here is my current ROLA custom, in dark lamb. It's basically unused and have sat in my closet for almost a year now.

It feels, and looks, too big in the body. It's supposed to be the slim model, but it's still fairly large.

I asked Wested if they could make the HERO slimmer in the body, but apparently thats not an option. The ROLA could however be made in a slimmer version.

Here is how I would like my jacket to fit:

Now I'm in bit of a dilemma, as I had hoped to order the HERO, and having it to fit exactly like I want it. But now I'm not sure at all about what I should do. Any suggestions?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: HERO or new ROLA custom? (Warning: large images)

Post by Texan Scott »

The thing about the Hero is that the sleeves and arm holes are not as wide as the RoLA, which is a slim pattern. What size do you normally wear? What size is this RoLA jacket? In all honesty, the jacket you have on in the photos looks like it fits well and drapes extremely well, except for the fact that the sleeves look to be about 1/2~1" too short. The Hero pattern is ideal for someone with a slim build, though.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

If you want it slim, make sure to order your EXACT size. Not a size larger. If your chest measures 38, order 28. If it measures 40, order that. You could always size down one size but that can be tricky depending on the rest of your measurements. Based on your other jacket, I'd get it an inch shorter in the back, and an inch longer on the arm length. I've seen too many people say "I ordered a size up because I wanted it to be baggy like the film jacket or whatever". NO, don't do this. Order your exact size or it won't look right.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I ordered my exact size (40 body), and asked for it to have the slim cut (don't know if the message got to the cutter).
I'm not sure about the sleeves. Right now they are perfect, but if they wrinkle up at the elbows, they are probably going to be a bit short.

I wrote Wested a few days ago and got this reply.
[..]
Thank you for your email, with regards to having the Hero jacket but made slimmer, unfortunately the hero style is not a slimmer jacket it’s a more roomy jacket. So we are unable to make the ROLA jacket with a slimmer body.

We can make the jacket slightly short that isn’t a problem. If you want the jacket with a slimmer cut then you will need to order the custom ROLA jacket.
[..]
As a reply to my original email:
[..]
Last year I purchased a custom ROLA jacket from you, and I'm very fond of it. However, there are a few small details that I would like to improve upon with a new jacket order. I have set my eyes on the HERO jacket.
I was thinking that because I already own one of your jackets, it should be easy to purchase a new model based on the measurements from the old one, with a few smaller changes?

I have attached some pictures of my current ROLA custom for size and fit reference ( rola1.jpg to rola4.jpg ).
The specifications were:
Jacket Size: 40
Sleeve Length: 27.5
Back Length: 26
Skin Type: Dk Brown Lambskin
Lining Type: All Cotton
Side Straps: Sliders + X Box Stitch
Extra Inside Pocket: None
Gussets: Yes -£5.00
Zip Type: Nickel No5

What I would like, is for the jacket to be a bit slimmer in the body area. The back to be very slightly shorter. The sleeves to be the same length, or perhaps ½ ich longer, if they are going to wrinkle slightly up with use, thus feeling shorter after some time?
[..]
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have owned all these patterns: Raiders, RoLA and the Hero, and I can sort of see where they are coming from. Maybe the more accurate description would be that the Hero is slimmer in the sleeves and arm holes than the RoLA pattern, but slightly roomier than the RoLA pattern around the body.

The Exit gives good advice above, with an inch shorter in back length and 1 inch addition to the sleeves, per the figure you posted. You would want to add gussets as you have before, and K stitch to the strap attachments? If you did this for a new order, in the RoLA pattern, do you think you would be happy with it?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think the back looks very good. very raiders. the raiders jacket was not that straight like pictured in your photo
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Right. Other than possible sleeves and back length tweaks, it looks like a good fitting jacket.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Your current jacket looks pretty darned slim as it is. If anything, the sleeves could be a touch longer. Also, I think the back length could be a bit shorter as well. I wouldn't think you would want it much tighter.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The current one looks more Raiders correct than the second pic, really.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Looks a good fit from the photos. The sleeves could be longer, but that's just a quibble. Once it breaks in I imagine it will look pretty close in fit to how I see the movie jacket. That last shot looks like an action figure... :whip:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Holt wrote:I think the back looks very good. very raiders. the raiders jacket was not that straight like pictured in your photo
agree. movie accurate back! :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I wish my first jacket fit that well. ;)
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

My idealized fit as shown in my initial post is indeed from a model, and not a real jacket. I'm however planning to tweak my Indy impression slightly to sacrifice 100% SA in favor of a more 'tuned' look. Something that fit's me, and not a 100% copy of Fords outfit.

I had considered the changes to the fit as suggested, and I'll probably go both ½" longer in the sleeves plus 1" or more shorter in the back. I think the shirter back is also going to help a little bit with the body fit, but probably not much.

However, I'm not entirely satisfied with the body fit of the ROLA custom, and if the HERo is even roomer I don't think it would do it for me.

I've been considering to go with the HERO, and then go down a size. I wonder if that would just make things very complicated?

The ROLA custom got the flying squirrel effect when I'm wearing it (and holding up both arms at the same time), and the HERO would be slightly better in this regard. But the darn wider fitting body is a real turn-off. :roll:
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

Hi nihil,

I really like the way the jacket falls on that second pic!!!
Your last pic is from the ROTLA Sideshow statue if I'm not mistaken... They have been some issues on that regarding the jacket, people saying that it is too short...
Check out this review of it on the link below:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_121208a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally think that it is way too short on the statue. And that that jacket you have is really really nice!
But thats my opinion.

Regards
JM :TOH:
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I do also think that the sideshow statue got a too short jacket, and I don't want my own to be quite that short. But I really like the narrow back panel and good back fit.

I'm really wondering if going down one size would do the trick for me, or if it just making things very wrong in many other aspects.

Does completely soaking a jacket do anything in regard to the fit?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The leather will relax, look used and not as shiny. Hot water will shrink the jacket a little, depending on how much is applied, but if you use hot water, it may shrink the sleeves to the point that you could not use the jacket? Thing is, with a new jacket, you have moldable clay in your hands, in essence. Obviously, the best technique would be just to wear the jacket and break it in, and maybe get the sleeves let out a bit by a good leather technician. It looks like a perfect fit in the shoulders. Drape is excellent. About the only thing missing is good wear. It won't look like the film jacket tomorrow, but with some good wear, it will break in nicely. Lamb is the easiest wearing hide of all the jacket leathers, and it may not be the most durable, but you have a quality jacket there.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

After giving this a lot of thought, I have decided to listen to all the great advice you have come up with.
I'll give the HERO a try, but with some corrections regarding back- and sleeve length compared to my current ROLA Custom.
Some of the pictures of others wearing their HERO gave me confidence in that I could archive the desired fit with that particular model. My main priority is to have less of a flying squirrel effect as compared to the non-hero jackets.