Whar's considered to be the most accurate shirt?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Whar's considered to be the most accurate shirt?

Post by jedichase »

Hey everybody,

Though i now a lot about high end accurate replica's of indy's hat, jacket, whip and satchel. For the shirt, I'm somewhat uneducated on what is considered to be a nice replica. Could somebody please help out with who makes the best shirt? (wested, magnoli, todd's, etc.) Any info is appreciated.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Whar's considered to be the most accurate shirt?

Post by APL »

jedichase wrote:Hey everybody,

Though i now a lot about high end accurate replica's of indy's hat, jacket, whip and satchel. For the shirt, I'm somewhat uneducated on what is considered to be a nice replica. Could somebody please help out with who makes the best shirt? (wested, magnoli, todd's, etc.) Any info is appreciated.
Personally, I don't think there's much difference between the three that you'e mentioned, they're all quality products and are fairly screen accurate. JMO
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Hey Jedi! I don't want to be considered mean or callous, but I want to remind you that the search feature (located in the top right hand section of COW just in case you didn't know where it was) is a wonderful place to do some research on shirts. There are tons of threads out there about each shirt that are full of information, the fit, the style and the quality of each Indy shirt.

Another thing to keep in mind is which style of shirt. This page below is a GREAT place to start on what the differences are between each movie!
http://indygear.com/igshirt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am more than happy to let you know anything about my AB shirt, my second run Todd's shirt (as soon as I get it back from my sister)! Be sure to do some research first, and then everyone will be much more likely to add their two sense worth if you can't find the information you're looking for!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

there are alot of threads on this subject.

The most accurate shirt of how it was is the Noel Howard shirt who made them for the movie.

after this the AB which is a copy of the NH shirt but the material and color is different. it looks more like what we see on screen and not how it looks like in real life as in real life the shirts where more beigh/brown.

after this I vote for Magnoli, allthough the material is not accurate but a little bird told me that it is being upgraded ;)
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Thanks for the advice. I need to use the search feature more. I was just curious if there was definitive exact replica shirt. I know that there has been a big color problem in the indy shirt topic, and didn't know which one is considered the best.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

The only definitive exact are the movie items themselves! Everything after that is a matter of debate, opinion, and interpretation.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

If I had to chose I would go for the AB. very strong material, very SA details and a the best color if you look for what you see on screen?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I'm rather surprised no one has mentioned Azuma's shirts actually... :-k

I consider his to be the most accurate, after the Noel Howard shirts.....

And in my own experience, the Wested shirt (while a great shirt in and of itself) isn't as well made or "SA" as is the Magnoli shirt or the Adventurebilt ones....But...Wested DO make a LOT of changes, so it may just be that MINE isn't accurate..

Regards
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well the azuma has the LC and temple down. When I think shirts I think Raiders and he has not done one yet so I cannot recommend them even tho he makes a super LC/tod.

wested shirts are ok when it comes to details. they are constructed pretty good tho but accuracy and in terms of cut? not so good. they are too light as well. I have one and it's going thru a major makeover. it will be redetailed, recut and recolored. why bother you ask? well, I think it's fun. it's what we did in the old day of Indy....

however, if people want a wested? I'd rather hold on to my money alittle while longer ;)
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

There are things I like about the WPG shirt and the Todd's Shirt for Raiders. I also think that Azuma's shirts are right-on. He has made me some special shirts that have their details right on for the specific film.

In spite of the details, One needs to find a shirt that is a lighter shade than the pants that you own. Some of the shirts are darker than others.

Jake Johnson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I was waiting for someone to bring up Azuma. My Azuma LC shirt is SPOT ON as far as I'm concerned.

I think you've seen by this thread though, there are about as many answers and reasons as there are members!
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

[quote="maboot38"]My Azuma LC shirt is SPOT ON as far as I'm concerned.
quote]

Darn right! :tup: I couldn't be happier with my Azuma shirt.

As for which shirt is the best - unless I missed it, you didn't mention what movie you were going for. That makes a BIG difference in how the answer is given.

If you're going for Raiders, I'd strongly suggest picking up a NH if you can find one. They're pricey but well worth it from the people I've talked to, as well as the threads I've read, from Raiders gear-heads and fans. Again, due to their price, I'm personally not the type that would then wear that shirt for everyday wear or adventures and I'd use it as a display piece... but that's me.

If you want a wonderful Raiders shirt to both display and/or wear, I'd go with the AB. The details are superb and, well, everything that Adventurebilt makes and does is absolutely top-notch.

If you're going for the other 2 movies of the original trilogy (excluding CS), that's more of a toss-up. The NH/MBA shirts again take a front running just because of what others have said earlier here that they come from a direct source that supplied them for the films. I'd then go with Azuma as his design is practically spot on (if not spot on) to the NH/MBA but the fabric color seems more accurate. And of course, Magnoli offers many customizations and color choices if you're looking for something particular.

Just my two cents. :TOH:
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

Only problem, the AB shirt is only available in S and XL for the moment. But that's not a big problem if you wear a L like me, I ordered an XL and brought it to my tailor and it fits great now.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Christian Jones wrote:Only problem, the AB shirt is only available in S and XL for the moment. But that's not a big problem if you wear a L like me, I ordered an XL and brought it to my tailor and it fits great now.
That's exactly what I've done with a couple of my shirts. For me, I wear a size Medium usually and those shirt sizes don't come up much. So I've found that a Large will work just fine, are more available, and can be bought cheaper. I then take them to my tailor who adjusts the sleeve length, etc. So if you can't find that right shirt size, or you need a shirt asap, this would be a great option. :TOH:
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

binkmeisterRick wrote:The only definitive exact are the movie items themselves! Everything after that is a matter of debate, opinion, and interpretation.

That's why we're here.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

if you ask me Todd gets my vote...I understand that he used original shirt as preference.I own one and love it.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

MARQ wrote:if you ask me Todd gets my vote...I understand that he used original shirt as preference.I own one and love it.
Indeed, that's my understanding as well that he had the privilege of viewing an original shirt as a reference. Which is quite interesting considering that if the dimensions of the shirt (i.e. the epaulette width/length, pleat width, etc.) are correct on Todd's shirts, they are quite different than the ones on the Noel Howard shirts and the Noel Howard's are still being considered THE Raiders shirt by most folks.

Now, if only it would be possible to use the fabric from the Adventurebilt shirts and have a shirt made using the specs from Todd's shirts... you'd definitely have a near perfect Raiders shirt. Hmmm... perhaps it's possible to do that? :-k
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Thank for all of the info. It seems that it comes down to either accurate color (AB) or accurate pattern and fit (Noel Howward, and Todd's). This definitively helps me with choosing.

P.S. Like Indy Riv said we should contact AB about what fabric they use and see if Todd could use that fabric to make some shirts.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I just received my XL WPG today. The sleeves are on the short side but there's enough extra room in the middle to make another shirt, so I have to wonder: Do they use whiskey barrels as dress forms?
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

jedichase wrote:Thank for all of the info. It seems that it comes down to either accurate color (AB) or accurate pattern and fit (Noel Howward, and Todd's). This definitively helps me with choosing.

P.S. Like Indy Riv said we should contact AB about what fabric they use and see if Todd could use that fabric to make some shirts.
IndyRiv always has new and exciting ideas to make shirt even more SA! :mrgreen: IndyRiv has done insane amounts of research both with the shirts and pants so I take his advice very seriously.

I'm my opinion, you can't get closer to the original Raiders shirts than either NH/MBA or AB's. If you want to scratch that "itch" and have a shirt made by the same person who made them for the original trilogy, go for NH's (if you can find one :P). If you want something that you can wear to the death, wear while getting dragged behind a truck and other adventuring, then all roads point to AB. AB's attention to detail is just mind-boggling and the color is just perfect. I HIGHLY recommend choosing the AB.

EDIT: jedichase, I can post some comparison pictures if you want.
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Some pictures would help. But I think I'm fairly convinced that AB is on the top of the list.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Good, you can't beat the AB Shirt!

And here's a link that shows all the shirts under different lighting.

My Ranking IMO:
NH: No doubt in my mind, this shirt is king. It has the same sheen, cut, color; every detail is just like the original screen-used shirt. :tup:
Azuma: This is the creme-de-la-creme as far as the LC shirt. If it were any more accurate, your head would explode!....seriously....
MBA: 3rd best, apart from some small differences in the cut, this shirt is 99.98% identical to the NH. :tup:
AB: I love the AB's color! Perfect for the Cairo scenes! Superb quality and attention to detail! GOOD JOB MARC! :tup: :tup:
Magnoli: This shirt is tough as nails. I wear this shirt more than I wear any other because of it's comfort and durability, and super SA to boot! :tup: :tup: :tup:

I hope this helps jedichase! If you have any additional questions, I encourage you to ask. After all, that's why we're here :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Hi, what sizes are the shirts? I can only see that AB is medium. Could you measure them armpit to armpit?
What are the differences between MBA and NH?
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

tomek9210, the NH, MBA, and Magnoli are all size Large. The Azuma is a size Medium I think. I'll take some detailed measurements and post them on here later today! :TOH:
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Thanks for the pics Indydude18.

I'll have to start putting aside some money for an AB shirt, I'm currently stuck with a crappy Walmart find. I will slowly upgrade my low budget costume with accurate pieces until I end up with the complete costume. It's funny how there are no other teenagers in my area that are able to spot the difference in between a accurate Raider's costume and a cheap Walmart shirt. :lol: Thanks again for the pics.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

While the NH shirt is the most screen accurate, the material feels like a costume ... which I guess it is. I've always thought the NH Raiders shirt is slightly too dark, but the cut and details are of course perfect. Good luck finding one!

The Todd's shirt while maybe not as accurate, is something that feels like Indy would have actually worn and used, and the price is great too.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:While the NH shirt is the most screen accurate, the material feels like a costume ... which I guess it is. I've always thought the NH Raiders shirt is slightly too dark, but the cut and details are of course perfect. Good luck finding one!

The Todd's shirt while maybe not as accurate, is something that feels like Indy would have actually worn and used, and the price is great too.
Really? To me, the NH is practically spot on Raiders, color, cut, material, the whole she-bang.

(I say "practically" because I truly believe that only the earliest MBA were true 100% copies of the shirt Noel had)
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

indydude18 wrote:
ANZAC_1915 wrote:While the NH shirt is the most screen accurate, the material feels like a costume ... which I guess it is. I've always thought the NH Raiders shirt is slightly too dark, but the cut and details are of course perfect. Good luck finding one!

Really? To me, the NH is practically spot on Raiders, color, cut, material, the whole she-bang.

(I say "practically" because I truly believe that only the earliest MBA were true 100% copies of the shirt Noel had)
Well the shirt I saw at his flat was from ToD... However, to clarify what I am saying is, compared to how they look "on screen in Raiders", not how a film shirt looks in real life.

Just one man's opinion.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

ANZAC_1915, are you talking about the shirt he had along with the ToD pants and jacket?
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Tundrarider wrote:Oildale, you may have better luck with a Large/Long. :H:

Michael :TOH:
Thank you for the expert advice, Michael. I received my L/L WPG shirt today and it's SO much better (although it still looks/feels pretty massive in the chest, which is odd for a large). Once it shrinks in the wash I think I'll be golden.