The Snakes and the Foxx

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

The Snakes and the Foxx

Post by Gorak »

These whips have a long tangled history so I will spare you the details but yesterday I recieved my two new Snakewhips by Louie Foxx.

The first was a 7 foot stock whip that broke off it`s handle. I used it for a while just as a snake whip and decided to see if Mr. Foxx could actually build a butt on it. Well, of course he could and so off it went. The repair is well documented on his website and the finished result is awesome. You could never tell it was without a butt. The color matches (which I didn`t even think about) and the whip now has much much more control and 'swag'. I REALLy love the way this whip looks just lying around or being held or being carried. Very quickly, my favorite thanks to the new repair.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100646.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100805.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second is more interesting. Sometime back I commisioned a 5 foot Snakewhip in an Indiana Jones style from Mr. Foxx. He created a beauty and I used it plenty until it began to leak some type of tar substance from the handle. I thought it was everything else but the whip and then realized it was coming from the whip when I isolated it. I told Mr. Foxx about it..not expecting anything, just wanting to know what it might be and if it would affect the performance of the whip. He had no clue and researched it and discovered that it was a very rare phenomena. He may document it on his blog as he takes the whip apart to see what caused it.
The best part is that he offered to make me a whole new Snakewhip if I would return the leaking one to him so that he could 'operate' on it. I took him up on it and it showed up along with my repaired one. All I asked for was a thicker, longer wristloop as I personally just love the look of a wristloop dangling from the whip...so Raiders for me. I just recall the first time seeing the film and seeing that wristloop dangling to and fro off the whip end and it just said soooo much... :whip:
This thing is so incredibly cool. I literally don`t even want to uncoil it. I just want to hang it up on my wall and stare at it all day. It is so beautiful. As the pics show, I haven`t opened it and my wife is getting frustrated."Why haven`t you tried it out yet?" Fortunately it finially rained over here so I can use that as an excuse. But, really, this thing is a work of art.......pics do not do it justice....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100825.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100946.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100917.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Louie Foxx- Thank you so very much for such beautiful 'agricultural tools' ( a term my local authorities described them as). You did an incredible job on the repair and the Indy Snake is just so much more than what I was expecting. You truly created some works of art and forever have a customer in me. I am not even in the need for a new whip but am looking for an excuse just to order from you again. Thank you thank you thank you!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
riku1914
Vendor

Re: The Snakes and the Foxx

Post by riku1914 »

I saw both of those on his blog and thought when I saw this thread it might have been for you. He did do an amazing job on those,

and I can understand you just wanting to stare at it :lol:

I'm curious to find out what it was that was leaking from it. Maybe something from the shot loaded core??? I really am curious...
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

He found only one other person who has had this issue and concluded that it was a combination of the lead used and the enviroment used....I think he planned on documenting it on his page so I will let that work out as he would be more in the know than I. He also stated that he was doing something alittle different on the Indy Snake rebuild.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Gorak wrote:He found only one other person who has had this issue and concluded that it was a combination of the lead used and the enviroment used....I think he planned on documenting it on his page so I will let that work out as he would be more in the know than I. He also stated that he was doing something alittle different on the Indy Snake rebuild.
That's so weird! I can't wait to see what he says in his blog about it, I'm very curious about this...
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I just put up pics of the snake whip on my blog: http://bullwhips.org

Louie
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

louiefoxx wrote:I just put up pics of the snake whip on my blog: http://bullwhips.org

Louie
I'm in the middle of reading and looking at the pics. "Just in case you wanted to see what it would look like if you were drunk."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: Did you consider it may have had something to do with the plaiting soap mixed with the lead? That's the first thing I thought

when I saw all that, just a thought...
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I have considered that. However you have to keep in mind that not a lot of plaiting soap would make it to the lead. I don't put plaiting soap on the shot bag, so the only bit that would be whatever little bit was on the belly. Keep in mind I use my plaiting soap as a lubricant, not as a dressing. Also that tiny bit would have to penetrate inward through the shot bag and create this tar then turn around and head back out.

Also if it was something as simple as that then it would be a lot more common. I've made a lot of whips with shot bags and this is the only one that I'm aware doing it. I've got a whip I made with a shot bag 2 years ago, so in the ballpark time wise as this snake whip and it's not leaking tar.

Louie
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

louiefoxx wrote:I have considered that. However you have to keep in mind that not a lot of plaiting soap would make it to the lead. I don't put plaiting soap on the shot bag, so the only bit that would be whatever little bit was on the belly. Keep in mind I use my plaiting soap as a lubricant, not as a dressing. Also that tiny bit would have to penetrate inward through the shot bag and create this tar then turn around and head back out.

Also if it was something as simple as that then it would be a lot more common. I've made a lot of whips with shot bags and this is the only one that I'm aware doing it. I've got a whip I made with a shot bag 2 years ago, so in the ballpark time wise as this snake whip and it's not leaking tar.

Louie
I figured it wasn't the case, just saying that's the first thing that came to find. I wonder what weather conditions could penetrate

the entire whip and cause this. When you were talking about weather conditions, were you talking about like, high humidity year

round? He lives in Corpus Christi, and it is very humid there, more so than the rest of texas :lol:

Do you think this could cause it?