Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Pecards on a Nowak? (LOOK AGAIN! Pics 2 weeks later!)

Post by nicktheguy »

Gotta admit that the jacket looks incredible - even after the pecards it looks even more incredible - nicely done!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

IndyRiv wrote:..........

SIDE NOTE: With the CS Collector's Edition by US Wings, has anybody put Pecards on these or should a person NOT put Pecards on it? US Wings said it's already been treated and will need no additional care. What do all of you say???
Search fro Michaelson's recommendation on Pecards to CS leather, which the Wings Collectors edition is made of.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Yep, still looks great, with or without Pecards! :TOH:
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Louisiana Jones »

Just popping in.. it's been a while. The jacket looks great after the Pecards! In my own opinion it looks a thousand times better than it did. I'm not a fan of the phony-looking overdistressing. The Pecards really gives the jacket a great look.

LJ
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

TR... it still looks sweet..... :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndyRiv wrote:
SIDE NOTE: With the CS Collector's Edition by US Wings, has anybody put Pecards on these or should a person NOT put Pecards on it? US Wings said it's already been treated and will need no additional care. What do all of you say???
Tennessee Smith used it on his CS Wings. Search for those discussions under his name. He says it worked fine.

Thing is, TN has always said not to treat his jackets either, so it's all the same. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Pecards on a Nowak? (EVEN NEWER PICS!!!)

Post by RaidersBash »

Michaelson wrote:It looks great, but for me (not to be a 'wet blanket'), it now looks just like any other treated 'pre-distressed' leather jacket I've seen, or personally owned. With proper application, they all take on those highlights, or at least mine have. Well done on your first try! :-k

Not saying that it's a bad thing either, as I love the mahagony look....but your jacket started out looking like it just came off an adventure. It now looks, different. Beautiful, but different than before. A different 'wow' factor now exists, but one I've experienced before and on many other occasions.

But, that said, YOU have to be the one that's happy with the results. If you're happy, I'M happy. It's your jacket. YOU make it the way YOU want. In the long run you're the one who will live with it, so make it your own!

You application of Pecards did nothing but help rehydrate the leather in the long run, and that's always a good thing.
:M: :tup:
Regards! Michaelson
Yep Mike, I agree with Michaelson here. Your jacket is still one of the nicest out there, but there was something about it when you first posted the photos after you got it from Tony that...I can't even count the number of times I was looking at it and drooling over it. It really did look like a jacket you've had for years and years and had had on many adventures, looking like it just came from YOUR GREATEST ADVENTURE!

It still looks great though, and like Michaelson said, "If you're happy, I'M happy. It's your jacket. YOU make it the way YOU want."

We all have a look for our gear in our minds eye, and as individuals our gear all has a uniqueness to the person who's gearing up.

and I'm still SUPER JEALOUS of that AWESOME jacket! :TOH:
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

So whic Pecards would you all recommend? I'm looking at their site and have no idea, there are so many! I'm looking to darken up my Wings VIP...

Can someone post a link to the best Pecards product?
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Tundrarider it has been 4 months since your initial application of Pecards to your jacket and you stated your still happy with the results. Has anything changed about the way the jacket "reacts" or fits you? Do you have any new pictures to post of the jacket?

I think the jacket looked and still looks awesome from your previous pictures in this post.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Tundrarider wrote:
I'll try to get some new pics up.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Hey TR, it's nice to read that you're still happy with the results. I think it makes it look a lot more SA, I'm about to re-load mine, she's parched. :TOH:

-Tennessee
KingHamlet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Pecards on a Nowak?

Post by KingHamlet »

Michaelson wrote:In any search you do regarding Pecards, you KNOW I'm an avid supporter and 'preacher' regarding Pecards products. I will continue to preach the word.....except, with the TN jackets, or the Wings LE (same leather).

Do NOT, repeat, do NOT use any leather conditioner on your jacket. Follow Tony's instructions to the letter. His leather is completely different than any I'VE come across, and they DO just get better with actual use, and NO application of Pecards (or any dressing)should be used.

So take it from a hard core Pecards user, DON'T do that to your already perfect looking jacket.

My TN is the OLY jacket I've ever owned that I have not put dressing on, and I have not regretted it.

Regards! Michaelson

I hate bumping up an old post, but my current Nowak has gone through about a year of wear, but ever since the frog strangler at this years derby, my jacket has gotten stiff and slightly uncomfortable, and I've tried to wear it whenever possible, but I had to put it away for the summer.
So I've considered pecardsing her up, but your comment spooked me (knowing how you feel about pecards and all). Will there be adverse effects later with the pecards? Why should I not do that?
My only real hesitation is that I DONT want it darkening, but the leather feels so dry and tough (much more so than when I pulled it out of the bag).

Also, would the pecards help any water damage that might have occured at the derby? The jacket was literally soaked through, to the point that it took two days to dry out, and I wore it EVERYWHERE til it dried.

By the way, it was Tundraraider that inspired my jacket decision. After I saw his work of art from Tony I ordered the exact same jacket (except I've got about 30's pounds of extra fluff).
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, if it's a matter of the leather surviving, then you'll need to bite the bullet and put some Pecards on to rehydrate the dried out hide.

I'd recommend using the jell, though. It will rehydrate and help loosen up the hide, and has a lesser amount of beeswax as you find in the standard Pecards leather dressing. Rehydration is what you need right now, and yes, it will help reverse what you have experienced to date after the soaking.

Downside is it WILL darken the leather for a while.....but the thing about the jell is the leather WILL lighten back up after a period of time and jacket use.

It will also help make it more water reisistant....but nothing will make it water 'proof' that's reversable. Stick with products like Pecard and you'll be fine.

Go ahead and treat would be my suggestion. You don't want the leather to crack if it gets TOO dry.

Rergards! Michaelson
KingHamlet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingHamlet »

Michaelson wrote:Well, if it's a matter of the leather surviving, then you'll need to bite the bullet and put some Pecards on to rehydrate the dried out hide.

I'd recommend using the jell, though. It will rehydrate and help loosen up the hide, and has a lesser amount of beeswax as you find in the standard Pecards leather dressing. Rehydration is what you need right now, and yes, it will help reverse what you have experienced to date after the soaking.

Downside is it WILL darken the leather for a while.....but the thing about the jell is the leather WILL lighten back up after a period of time and jacket use.

It will also help make it more water reisistant....but nothing will make it water 'proof' that's reversable. Stick with products like Pecard and you'll be fine.

Go ahead and treat would be my suggestion. You don't want the leather to crack if it gets TOO dry.

Rergards! Michaelson

Is this what you're referring to: (I seem to remember someone saying the cream is more jellylike): http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... gory_Code=

Thanks Michaelson, I knew you'd be the man to help me. I can live with darkening, heck maybe I'll end up loving the new look. I just hate to make any changes to Big Tony's work. But, I'd rather that than end up with a cracked and unwearable jacket.

Kind Regards,
Nick
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's it! Great stuff, and about all I use these days. It IS a jell, but since they already had the labels printed up as a 'creme', they never bothered to change it. :lol:

If it reacts like the Wested and Wings 'antique' cowhides, it will slowly turn to a beautiful mahagany color. You may be PLEASANTLY surprised in short order.

Glad to help. :M:

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Tundrarider wrote:I'll post some more pics to show how it looks a year later!
Definitely looking forward to seeing those!
:D
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to add to what Tundrarider has already chronicled by sharing my own experience as well... not only with using Pecard's Leather Dressing, but also in specific regard to how it worked on a Jacket made with TNO's "Dark Crystal Skull Cowhide"
I hope some Members here might find the details of my experience helpful as well... although, I suppose it'd be prudent for me to say that this is not an endorsement to do what I did, nor am I suggesting anyone else do it... use caution, proceed at your own risk, etc, etc...

I first received my TNO Last Crusade Jacket from Riley Barrie on October 20th. In every regard this was an exceptionally well-made garment with craftsmanship that honored the precedent begun by his Dad...but I was immediately struck by how much LIGHTER the leather looked to my eyes than what I was expecting.

You see, way back when I first mentioned ordering one of these jackets, I'd told - and written - Tony (and later, Riley) that I wanted "a Last Crusade Jacket similar in style to the LC Jacket made for Michael (Tundrarider) in 'Dark Crystal Skull Cowhide'... I'd also like the same wonderful LC-style distressing job done on Michael's jacket"That's word-for-word what I wrote in e-mail after e-mail to Riley (and before him, Tony)
Later, when I had placed my order with Riley I'd also included several photos of Tundrarider's LC Jacket as well as Han Jones' LC (in Goat) and wrote of it:
"THIS is the kind of overall look I'm hoping for..."

But when I held my new jacket in my hands - no matter what kind of lighting (indoor/outdoor/artificial lighting/natural lighting/shade/direct sunlight) - it just seemed VERY light... a sort of soft, pastel caramel color.
It's also worth mentioning that the texture was surprising, too... very soft and like a very thick suede.

This is a photo that shows how the jacket looked when it first arrived.
On the left WITH flash... on the right, NO flash.

Here's an except from the e-mail I sent Riley on the night after it had arrived:
"...Many thanks for this wonderful jacket!
Riley, please don't take the next thing I'm going to write as any sort of criticism of the jacket... because it's not... just a request for some information about what options might be available to me:
The color of the jacket surprised me... it seemed quite a bit lighter than I was expecting and although I knew there would be some "orangey/tannish" undertones (especially around the more distressed areas) on the jacket, I'll admit that the overall color of the leather seemed more in the neighborhood of orange than I thought I'd seen in other Last Crusade Jackets produced by TNO... the texture of the leather surprised me, too: I almost thought it was suede at first, it was so soft and luxurious!
So my question for you:
As someone who's regularly worked with these kinds of leathers, is there anything you think I can do to darken this jacket even a little bit? A process like wetting the jacket... or perhaps applying some kind of dressing, like Pecard's or some other product... would that have any sort of lasting effect?"

I didn't hear back from Riley immediately, so the next day I began to once again look at photos of Tundrarider's LC Jacket as well as Han Jones various LCs and those of other C.O.W. Members...
Wow, my jacket was looking lighter and more "orange-y" the more I was looking at other jackets made - presumably - from the same leather!
Then I was surprised to see a photo of a TNO Jacket that DID have leather that looked pretty similar to the jacket I had in my possession: it was used to make a jacket for Han Jones daughter.
So, I wrote Han Jones and asked "Your daughters jacket from April 2009: What kind of leather is that? Is it Crystal Skull Cowhide? If so, the 'darker' hide or the 'lighter' hide?"
Han very kindly - and quickly - wrote me back: "It is the lighter color. What Riley has now is darker and perfect for LC if that's what your asking"

So, now I was more puzzled than ever :-s

I wrote Riley:
"Since getting the jacket last night I've now been able to look at it in various types of light and I'm sorry to say that this leather just keeps looking more and more unlike the leather used for either Han Jones' OR Tundrarider's LC Jackets... but it looks a LOT like the one made for Han Jones' daughter's jacket (which he said was the lighter stuff)
Riley, is it possible I've been sent a jacket in the wrong kind of leather?
Everything else about this jacket - the fit, the dimensions - is perfect... but the color is really bothering me. I'm worried there's been a mix-up"

Riley wrote me the following response:
"Michael used an after care product, I believe it is called Picards Leather food....I've never used the stuff. The leather is one of the darker skins, the problem is the under color, when it gets distressed the lighter under color shows, that is the nature of the leather.Again, to achieve the look of Michaels you need to use the oil he used, possibly he can give some insight, as I have no familiarity with those products"

The funny thing here is that I had never actually seen THIS Thread that Riley referred to and that Michael had started (nor was I aware that Michael used a treatment on his jacket)
When I had said that my jacket was far lighter than his I was referring to the photos he had taken BEFORE he had put Pecards on the jacket... which rather reinforces the point I was trying to make to Riley: Even if Tundrarider treated (and darkened) his jacket AFTER he got it, I was comparing the color of my jacket to photos of the his leather BEFORE he darkened it... and my jacket seemed to look even lighter in color than his did BEFORE his had been treated.

So once again I sent Riley an e-mail that asked "when I look at (Han Jones') picture of (his daughter's) "Light CS Cowhide" all I can see is the jacket I have here... Are you saying you're certain it's the DARK Crystal Skull Cowhide I have here?" But it was beginning to occur to me that regardless of his response, I now needed to ask myself what I want to do next.

I quickly realized that it felt like my plan should be to get some of the same Pecard Product Tundrarider had used to work on my jacket as well... perhaps apply it only to certain areas and keep some looking lighter (and therefore more distressed) to see if that would produce the desired effect I was looking for...
So I contacted the man who so many of us know to be so generous with his time and advice: Tundrarider.

I gave Michael a re-cap of my story and then asked him if he could tell me the name of the name of this product he'd used.
First, Michael confirmed that the jacket I'd seen pictured in the "You nailed it, Tony!!" thread WAS right "out of the box." No treatment.
He also shared with me the story of how when Tony himself had seen photos of hiss Jacket he'd written back that "IT"S TOO LIGHT!!!" and that he'd said Michael should go walk in the rain to darken it up (this was very re-assuring to me as I'd already been wearing MY jacket and gotten caught in a downpour not once, but twice)
Michael also gave me peace-of-mind by sharing that his jacket was also distressed in places to where the leather appeared to be "suede-like."
He then confirmed the name of the Pecards Leather Dressing and even gave me a Link to the Website.
To say that Michael is a great Friend to a Gearhead just doesn't say enough!
:) :tup:
I was now feeling feeling reassured (and in good company) by having him confirm some similarities between my jacket and his in terms of it's lighter, more distressed areas as well as the "suede-y" feel to this leather...

In writing back to Michael I thanked him and asked that he please understand (I knew that he already DID) that I meant no disrespect towards Riley or lack of confidence in his work... but the fact was, the leather of this jacket arrived already looking "scrubbed" into a much lighter color than what I'd seen previously (and what I was expecting)...
It was now becoming clear to me then that Riley simply has a somewhat different technique than his Dad did: In distressing a jacket, Tony seemed to pick specific areas to focus on more than others... this seemed to create a more SA type of pattern (as an example, the backs of some of the jackets I'd seen seemed to be a bit lighter and more worn down in the shoulder blade areas, suggesting wear & tear over the "fictional" years) whereas Riley had simply chosen to leave fewer areas of this jacket looking "UNdistressed" than Tony chose to... the resulting overall lightened look of the jacket simply caught me off guard.

It became obvious to me then that I simply had a little bit of my OWN work left to do on this jacket: to darken certain areas and possibly to leave specific areas LESS conditioned in order to maintain the interesting pattern of (more vs less) WORN areas that give the LC jacket such a distinctive look.

I ordered the tub of Pecard's and began writing a note of apology to Riley.
Below is an excerpt:
"I've taken a little bit of time to re-read some of what I've written to you over the last few days and I have to say, I'm less than impressed with the way I 'sound' when I read what I've written.
And I want to apologize to you if I've come across in a way that's less than representative of my normal demeanor.
I'll admit being surprised by how unexpected the lightness of the leather was to me, I'll admit that I was worried - VERY worried - that this LC jacket had been made with a leather other than the one I'd requested... and I'll admit that I wanted some reassurance from you that this was not the case...
But when I read through the e-mails I've written you it also sounds like I want to return this jacket... and Riley that's simply not the case.
Since sending you the e-mail from earlier today I've been in contact with (Tundrarider). While he did confirm that the photos I'd sent you WERE from before he applied any sort of leather dressing to the jacket, he also provided me with a good bit of information and instruction as to how I might be able to do likewise with my LC and get a darker tone from the leather. It amounts to some additional cost on my part that I hadn't anticipated, but it IS a route that it seems will give me what I'm looking for.
When Michael was describing the leather of his own LC Jacket it also became clear to me that this may well be the same leather, but one that looks so different because of what I think must be the somewhat different approach to the level of distressing that you used. Talking with Michael certainly made me feel reassured when I heard him confirm some similarities between my jacket and his in terms of it's lighter, more distressed areas as well as the often "suede-y" feel to this leather in the areas that had the most distressing... and that seems to be the point:
It's clear to me now that perhaps you simply have a somewhat different technique than your Dad did: Tony seemed to pick specific areas to focus on more than others... this seemed to create what I consider to be a more screen accurate Last Crusade type of pattern...whereas your method seems more inclined toward leaving fewer areas of this style of jacket looking "UNdistressed" than Tony chose to... the resulting overall lightened look of the jacket simply caught me off guard.
...Once again, Riley, I want you to know how very impressed I am with the excellent construction and fit of this jacket... it was only the light tone and color of the leather that had me wondering if some wires had gotten crossed...
But it looks like I can pursue this other avenue to get things back to where I wanted them.
Thank you for giving me this amazing jacket to word with"

A few weeks later my Tub of Pecard's Leather Dressing arrived.

By now my jacket had gotten rained on a few times and air dried, resulting in the hide "firming up" and "tightening up" a bit.
Once it had thoroughly air dried I spread a layer of garbage bags across my kitchen table and popped open the tub of Leather Dressing... following the method I mentioned earlier (I'd even made myself a little "map" of the front and back of the jacket that looked like a page from a coloring book), I began to treat only certain sections of the jacket (again, because of how it seemed that some areas of the LC Jacket had a some areas looking more "worn" than others...)
Soon I was having some success: The treated leather seemed to be darkening right away (it wasn't suddenly DARK brown, mind you... but definitely a few shades darker in tone)
And as I'd hoped, applying the dressing to certain areas (the sleeves, for example) DID seem to make them look richer and LESS worn...leaving some smaller sections untreated (the edges of the pockets and seam of the windflap, for example) DID seem to make those areas look like the more distressed areas.
And just as Tundrarider had told me HE'D experienced, the "exposed" suede-like areas stunk up the dressing and became softer, richer and more supple as opposed to "fuzzy."
I was amazed (and am STILL amazed) that in spots where I'd seen so much nap the Pecard's had seemingly created this beautiful patina out of nowhere!
Amazing stuff this Pecard's!

But would it KEEP it's color and still feel this way as time went on?
:-k

I let everything dry ("sink in" would be a better term) overnight and the next day tweaked a few spots that I'd missed initially... some nooks & crannies of the jacket.
The jacket still looked the same.
Cut to a week later and the jacket still looks the same... I've seen no change that's discernable to my eyes.

Anyway, I'll end this Post with some photos... Once again, I hope some Members will find them find them helpful... interesting in the very least.
It's been well recorded in some other Threads, but I'm crazy about how this jacket looks and feels...
It's exactly what I was hoping for in the first place.

This picture shows the front of the jacket PRIOR to applying the leather dressing (on the LEFT) and AFTER
putting on the Pecard's (on the RIGHT)

Several pictures showing this jacket BEFORE (Left) and AFTER (Right)

The picture below (on the left) is probably what - to MY eyes, at least - is the truest capture of the look of the
jacket's leather before treating it.

This is a Link to a shot similar to the one above, but showing the OTHER side of the jacket in profile.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... ison06.jpg

THANKS for reading / taking a look!
Mitch
:TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I love the jacket.... honestly, I liked the drier look aswell.

all you need now is a wested tofd copied from the original cut in dark oil cowhide and you'r all set.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Wow. Pecards. Who knew? :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

lol.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Pecards on a Nowak? (LOOK AGAIN! Pics 2 weeks later!)

Post by djd »

It looks great Mitch , both before and after (but after gets my vote :) ). I'm not a great LC fan myself but this is a great example ... Better than the jackets in the film to be honest
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I think this is the most difficult effect to capture, the 'duality' duel tone nature of the jacket, the fact that the screen jacket had contrasting, near black undertones under a lighter outer shell. It was as if they first made the jacket dark, by some artifical process, such as wetting the jacket, or using a rub, and then distressed it. The distressed parts of the jacket are the scars and marks of it being artificially distressed, no doubt by a wire brush and other sharp object(s). Cow leather probably more than any other leather "suades" when the skin is broken, resulting in a lighter appearance. I would think that for a faithful LC type appearance, you would need to first apply whatever means used to make it darker in appearance (a permanent shade in the leather, whether by water or a rub), then distress it. What the jacket must have gone through in the two years since the Raiders adventure ('36 to '38)? ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the original LC was confrimed to be brown lambskin by the smithsonian and by Peter who made the jacket.

authentic or dark brown new lambskin darker under certain light and the aged parts light up becuz its a lighter undertone. I have that effect almost everyday.. I see it when I see my reflection in a mall window or someting
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

That from your manly bronzed skin or a jacket Holt?? ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

haha. lol.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

- Thanks Holt! Truly there was NOTHING wrong with the jacket pre-Precard's... simply a lighter color than what I was wanting. And as far as a ToD Jacket goes, I should write "Don't tempt me!" ;)
Frankly, seeing you write "Wested ToD Dopied from the Original Cut in Dark Oil Cowhide" makes me want to write it down on my
"To DO(OM)[/size] List"
Get it? :P

- Michaelson: Yeah, I know I'm not saying anything too original here ...not like I discovered Pecard's or anything (I WISH!)
But this being my first time using it, I'm still pretty stoked that I got results that so matched-up with what I'd been envisioning.
And for my tastes, the best "PLUS" here is that I've managed to help enhance a "distressed look" in a jacket that's actually sturdy, well-made and practically brand new! :D

- djd Thank you!

- :lol: Agreed, Texan Scott! If that jacket was supposed to be the same jacket (as I've often heard/read is the case with the fedora) then that was a CRAZY couple of years!

- Michael... Thank you! (And thanks again for playing a big part in helping me along with your insight and instruction) ...
No, I didn't Pecard the entire jacket at all, ONLY the areas I wanted to darken... everything I wanted to have a distressed look remained UNtreated.
I found that by avoiding the seams of the sleeves (for example) but treating -and therefore darkening- the REST of the sleeves, the contrast between the two made the dark parts look darker and the lighter parts look that much lighter (and therefore MORE worn)

:TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Mitch, your jacket turned out really well.

I remember _'s old Pecards soaked Wested from the Indygear site, years ago. It was awesome looking and one of the reasons why I wanted an Indy jacket in the first place!

A tiny voice in my head is telling me to put some Pecards on my Nowak CS, but I'm resisting for as long as I can. I'll wait until it really dries up and needs it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

At the request of Tundra, I am posting that I finally broke down and put a coating of Pecards leather creme (not the standard dressing, but the creme. Less beeswax) on my Tony Nowak made CS cowhide, and it turned to the expected mahagony color as we've seen the old pre-distressed Wested and Wings jackets turn.

I have always loved that color, but really fought the urge to apply any Pecards to my TN CS as Tony himself told me to just wear it and apply nothing. The problem I experienced was that this jacket (and ANY jacket for that matter) that has had it's surface 'cracked' from distressing, be it natural or un-natural, is that it tends to become a sponge and absorb water if caught in a downpour. Once dried, the leather then tends to shrink, and we've read reports from folks who have admitted as much happening to their untreated jackets of late.

Well, my timing couldn't have been better, as it's been wet and dreary here in Tennessee ever since, and the jacket looks great and sheds water like a rubber raincoat. My usual 'go to' jacket for rainy weather has always been my goatskin G&B, but I really needed a heavier weight coat due to the cold.

I also didn't wear the jacket out much if we were going to eat, as an untreated distressed jacket also seems to attract ANY grease within 20 feet of it's surface. This application is now blocking that from being absorbed by this fine cowhide.

So, instead of being an artifact being stored in it's TN bag, it's now a mainline jacket again, and the one I go to when I'm needing a jacket I can comfortably layer sweaters under, as it was cut with a bit more room for me by Tony to allow ease of carry of my cell phone on my belt. With a long sleeve sweater on underneath, I'm snug as bug in a rug when motoring down the road in the old Plymouth with the window down and wind chills in the single digits. (I have to keep the window down to give hand signals. The old car never HAD any, so the window remains down year round when being driven.)

Thanks for nudging me into this direction, Tundra. I'm a firm believer in the use of Pecards or other leather dressing on our gear and have preached the 'word' for almost 2 decades, but fought doing this to my TN until now, and I'm happy I did. :M: :tup:

Oh, and it's exactly the same color as KT's treated jacket on the left that he posted on page one of this thread.

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/beforeandafterr.jpg/

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Glad to do it. :M: :tup:

Oh, I always wear my jacket with confidence....I am just not having to be so 'selective' on WHEN or WHERE I wear it now. :lol:

HIGH regards !Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Great to read about this in your post, Mark.
And glad you're happy with the end product!
:)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well, I FINALLY did it! I have been meaning to put some pecards on my TN CS jacket pretty much since I got it. I have always been mostly happy with the jacket (considering it wasn't made for me, but is an exact replica of the one made for HF), but I had two problems with it. One, is the colour seemed much lighter than the ones I saw in the movie. And two, the sleeves are very baggy (although that problem is solved when I wear a sweater under the jacket).

That first problem has now been solved. Michaelson gave me some advice as to what Pecards I should use and how to use it, and I did it. That cowhide leather was extremely thirsty!!! It just drank it up. But now the leather is much more supple, and darker in colour...much closer to what I see on screen. I am very happy I took the chance and put Pecards on it!

Oh, and my tub of Pecards also came with a small bottle of shoe oil. So I went after my Aldens. I am liking the results so far!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I wear my TN CS almost daily throughout the year since buying it in 2008. I'm ready to treat it. I bought the combination package of Obenauf's products awhile back and have used the HD LP (round tub) and watershield on my grandson's Indy Wings jackets with great results. I've used the oil on my Jake CS bag strap also and it turned out beautiful.

I'm thinking of trying the oil on my jacket (instead of the HD LP paste) according to this comment from their website.

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=49

What do you think? Should I go for it?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

OK I decided to do some test areas using the Obenauf's Oil. This stuff goes on so easy and FAST. It comes with one of the lid daubers. I brushed on a wide line of oil and then use my fingers to spread and work into the surrounding areas. This hide from Dec 2008 just stunk up the oil like a sponge.

I treated the inside right zipper lining, and half each of the TN logo badge and the underside collar.

I took both pics with and without flash. I took the pictures within 20 minutes or so of the treatment and it was already beginning to reveal the rich chocolatey marble effect in this already dark cowhide. I think it's going to be beautiful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 777923310/

I'm going to take some pics outside on the next decent day to see how it looks under natural light and after its had time to soak in some more.
RRPDD190
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RRPDD190 »

Hi,

I just recently treated my TNO ToD "Happy Cow" with Obenauf's products and I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. I was nervous going into it, especially once I started applying the oil. Darkened the leather to an almost black color! But I pushed on and it does lighten up after a few days. It took two days of hitting the areas that were dryer than others with additional light coats, but it all soaked in nicely. After a week of letting the oil soak in I applied a coat of Obenauf's heavy Duty LP. This went on very easily and really provides excellent water protection.

I've used Pecard's in the past and I'm pleased with that as well but I have to tell you guys, Obenauf's seems really great! You do have to be careful with the oil not to oversaturate the leather though. Not a negative thing, but it would be easy to do.

I'd love to follow up with a picture if I can figure out how.

Take care!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

How strange, in my comments above I mentioned how the thirsty leather stunk up the oil but in the thread it replaced the word stunk with stunk. I went to edit what I thought was a mistake bit it was correct in edit mode.
Stunk does not convey my results.

Edit: OK obviously I'm being filtered. How about Greatly Absorbed.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I realize I'm coming late to the party, but I just thought I'd chip in my two cents.

I've been pecarding my TN CS for a while now (years, actually) and have found no problems with it. Has some of the distressing become a little bit more subtle? Yes, but only a little really, and the dark color of the jacket right after treatment almost entirely goes away after a couple weeks. I realize that Tony had the leather specially treated, but that leather was REALLY dry when I first applied the Pecards. Someone else here said their jacket drank up the Pecards like a man dying of thirst, and they're 100% right. Will it make the distressing a little bit different than it once was? Yes, but it'll also help preserve and maintain the jacket, and given that Tony's no longer with us, that has to be a good thing. -M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. Tony may have always said it was 'just a @#$%ng jacket', but it's the ONLY '@#$%ng jacket' we're ever going to get from the man, so take care of them. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I miss Tony. :(
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Me too. Life goes on.... :(