Wested's Combo Offer, a review...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Just recently, I received the Wested Combo Offer, for $359.90 plus shipping, and included in the offer is your choice of either a reproduction of the Raiders jacket in lambskin, goatskin or pre-distressed hide (cow); or you can choose the LC/CS (some of the details are basically combined into one jacket) in either lamb, goat, or the pre-distressed hide. Rounding out the order, you will also receive the Indy styled Adventure/safari shirt and (officer's pinks) trousers. As a bonus, the web belt and buckle.

Since Wested's trousers are made of 100 pc wool cavalry twill and resemble Last Crusade pants, I ordered the Last Crusade jacket, but with a twist. It would be customized and made to specs, so it was back to basics for me, as the choice of skin was authentic lamb. Essentially, the look and config. of Wested's pants caused me to opt for LC, which is a logical pairing. This option of going custom added more value to the order, as I had always wanted to receive an accurate copy of the Last Crusade jacket from the original maker. Most all the requests in specs. were complied with by his technicians.

The shirt has often been a topic, and suffice it to say that in other countries of the world, like Australia for instance, their version of khaki is a greenish tint. The Wested shirt is made of a light weight fabric, just as an Indy shirt should be, and it has a slight, greenish hue. Of course, with the increasing popularity of close enoughs, the initial SA shock is easily circumvented. Other features that we have grown accustomed to in a shirt of this type are the vertical pleats on both sides and the rather large epaulets. This can be fixed with "X" or box stitches on both epaulets near the shoulder seams. I have to say that for me, it is a very comfortable fitting shirt, and reminiscent of adventure gear that we have come to rely on, as the fit overcame the initial shortcomings in detail, but hopefully the specs will be improved upon in the near future. The fit was true to OTR size, and is slightly tapered, similiar to an athletic cut. Recently, color corrected photos of the Raider's screen shirt have been posted and discussed, and even with the color corrected stills, the Hero shirt appears to be a lighter color on the brown scale, rather than a lighter version of the gray or green scale. The shirt is definitely a lighter version of khaki and was meant to contrast with the darker, taupe colored pants.

In other threads, I have viewed and reviewed comparison photos of Wested's trousers, mostly side by side with either the NH/MBA or the new, Todd's pants. The still image of Indy with diary in hand, walking up the steps and into harms way, attempting to circumvent the three traps (the repentant man shall pass scene), immediately came to mind, mostly due to the configuration of the pocket flaps, color and fit of these trousers. Waist is true to OTR sizing, and the crotch is not too low (which can cause irritation to the skin). The Wested's are unhemmed, so I will need to find a seamstess for the delicate job of stitching the correct, four inch military hem.

Bonus gear to add to your many adventures in the future include the web belt and brass buckle. The belt is made of a coarse, durable material, similiar in color to the screen used web belt for LC and CS, and the buckle appears to be made of solid metal, itching to be put through some excursions that will be indelibly etched into the mind's eye forever.

All in all, details matter to a certain extent, but for the most part, I was very pleased with the order, and I give the items as received, collectively an 8/10. If you wish to get a jump start on your collection of the gear, the Wested Combo Deal is a viable option, and you can make it particularly Last Crusade oriented. Noteworthy articles include the jacket and pants. (pics to follow)
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested's Combo Offer, a review...

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the review Tex :TOH: Dude, you must have the most gear ever!!

I was toying with the idea of getting the combo deal back when I first got into this hobby...I opted for getting just the jacket....a la 'stepping slowly into the bath'......I guess for me the choice was based on the fact that becoming a 'gear head' kind of crept up on me and I started by targeting the gear that I thought was 'the coolest' as opposed to wanting to actually own the entire gear...Now, of course, that's becoming the case... :lol:

Just wondering; Do the pants still have the slight taper towards the ankle?...I need a pair of Indy pants...I don't as yet have any...

Can't wait to see the photos.. :TOH:

Ian
Last edited by Ian on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

They do have a slight taper, and it sort of depends on what you are wanting, but Todd's Raiders pants are some of the best made yet, besides the NH/MBA repros. For Last Crusade, I'd recommend the Wested's or Magnoli. jmo. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

What kind of price does this package run?

Do you consider the value there in this being offered as a combo, or would it be a better deal purchasing 'ala carte', as it were?

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I should have included the price in the write-up above and will do so, thanks for pointing that out. The current price of the Wested Combo deal is $359.56, in US dollars. Considering the fact that if you buy a Wested custom jacket for around $300-316 or so, plus $40 +/- in shipping fees, then it would appear (of course value is in the eye of the beholder) that a custom jacket and pants would cost more than the current price of $359? So ala carte, and based on other makers prices (roughly): custom jacket-$310-+/-$750 or more, pants-$90-$125, shirt-$50-110, belt & buckle $5-10, not including shipping on all of these items, it would appear that there is value in this purchase.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WOW! Now that IS a heck of a deal for someone wanting to get into the hobby with good stuff from the 'get-go'. :shock: :M: :tup:

I wonder if they'll still customize the trousers? Watch pockets are SO useful..... :-k ;)

Thanks!

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Great review, Scott!!!

I have these pants as well and although I prefer the fit of the Todd's pants, the Westeds are a great fit as well, and I agree that their color and look IS very LC. I also like their shirt, although it has a less fitted feel than I believe it should. It is a great shirt and I wear it often fishing and doing other outdoor activities.

However....sorry.....I can't resist......
Texan Scott wrote:The still image of Indy with diary in hand, walking up the steps and into harms way, attempting to circumvent the three traps (the repentant man shall pass scene), )
"Penitent....penitent....only the penitent man shall pass....penitent. Penitent man is humble before God.....penitent....penitent"
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Great catch Maboot. ;)
Ian

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You got me, Mass. Boot! ;) Thanks and also for keeping me on my toes! :whip:

...kneels!.... :CR:

:lol:
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Re: Wested's Combo Offer, a review...

Post by Ian »

Texan Scott wrote:
Rolls.....;)
Ian

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Texan Scott wrote:You got me, Mass. Boot! ;) Thanks and also for keeping me on my toes! :whip:

HA HA HA, you're welcome. BTW, the "Ma" would never stand for Massachusetts. I hate this state.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

more pictures from the trousers-what size are they?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The pants are supposed to be hemmed this week, and then I'll be able to post more pics, so stay tuned, but these pants are 36 W x 35 Length-unfinished as of now.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

how about the taper... any carrot effect?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Just in case it might add to the review, here is a photo of me wearing the same gear except the jacket is the Wested Raiders lamb. I think all the components are fantastic.

While I didn't get the discount that you can benefit from when buying them as a set, I did end up getting all of those same pieces individually and can agree with the reviews posted above. Really good gear for the price!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Here's one Indy that looks late to work! :P Nice photo, MB. :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I like the color of those pants. They also look closer to the CS color then most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The wested pants have the perfect raiders color IMO. To me they look like the NH pants in color but they where alittle tapered towards the hem and is why I had my sister take them out in the bottom to creat a more baggy effect. if you look for a CS color may I suggest a Magnolis wool pants in camel. they are extremlley close to LC pants and is a pretty good match for CS as well. WAY better then Todds or westeds pants.

jm2c
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Tex.

was that LC jacket an of the rack?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...'tis a custom LC jacket, Holt. ;) I tweaked a few specs.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Texan Scott,you´re wearing my pants,man! Give them back! I mean, I use 36"s too.

Holt me´boy,how much material is there to make the Wested-pants wider at the hem...or did she narrow them up from the thigh-area? She did a great job on them.

Maboot,how about you,any changes on the pants.I´ve read about the crotcharea being low on Wested pants..any comment..
BTW,Combo looks good! Pants,to me at least,look very Raiders-colour...which I prefer.
Last edited by MARQ on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have no clue..

a just about under a half inch on either side maby? not much no.... but it does alot for the look.

to me,I believe the wested pants are the exact material used on the film pants. it is perfect material, color and thickness. they only taper too much! I don't know how many times I have asked Peter about the pants over the years... wont change that little detail.

anyways, with recent discoveries with the propstore outfit an'all..., I believe the raiders pants were not THAT super baggy as many have thought they were including me... but I do not think they are as tapered as wested does them. just a fine line inbetween.

here are the 'let out' wested pants seen in direct sunlight making them look exactly like the pants we see when Indy climbs the wing and turnes and looks back. just another reason why I think it is the exact same material as the raiders pants was.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

MARQ wrote: Maboot,how about you,any changes on the pants.I´ve read about the crotcharea being low on Wested pants..any comment..
BTW,Combo looks good! Pants,to me at least,look very Raiders-colour...which I prefer.
No change on the pants at all. The crotch is supposed to be a little low. Todd's pants do the same. That's the correct style, and they feel great.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yep :tup:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Holt.... :clap: :clap: :clap: i´m speechles!

Todds look low,are low but what I´ve looked through COW Wested ain´t THAT low,more like "modern day".
I had Todd´s pants briefly,if wested is anything like´em...oh boy I´m in a jam with options... :-k :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wested pants are alittle thicker material then the Todds. the todds are more gray brown whilst the wested is the exact color in my eyes. thye are perfect besides that darn tapering and some tiny details are of like pocket flaps. etc.

The todds are almost perfect in every way possible. they are awsome in details. material, the hem, they are almost a 100% copy of the screen used pants, only the color is alittle off if you ask me. I would like them to be alittle more brown then grey brown. They are a dead rigner for the pants when Indy climbs up to the temple at the beginning of the film which are more towards todds color. Besides the color? the todds pants are at the top shelf IMO.

anyways, if you get westeds pants? you have let them out. I have another pair un-altered..but not for long ;)
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Holt,
I agree with you about the fit of the Raiders pants. We've seen some shots from the film where they are a pretty baggy, but it's been said that they are due to some weight loss by Ford during the Tunisia shoot. There are, however, many other shots that contradict this very baggy look that everybody seems to want to capture. I personally don't like so much space in the crotch of my pants. I own Todd's pants and I like them and all, but they could be shortened in height at the waist about two inches to make them fit properly. Otherwise, if I pull them up to where they feel right on me, the pants come up to almost the bottom of my ribcage. Kind of makes me look as if i have no torso at all. Having said that, I think that Todd's pants have a couple of inches too much of rise built in them. Great in every other detail, just too much rise. I have been eyeing the Wested's for some time now, but have been hesitant about the fit. If the rise is not so drastic and the girth of the legs can be let out then I might just get a pair in the near future. What you've done with yours really makes them look a lot better. I'd go for Magnoli's version, but WOW on the price difference.

jlhampton
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

jhampton,you had my thoughts exactly conserning Todd´s pants, I was about to do some alterations on Todds but the total cost would´ve been high.And the rubberstrip on the waist is useless on modern day carments,it only made the waist smaller.They would´ve been nearly perfect fit without it.Hold on..In fact there´s ONLY 2 alterations Todd should do,take 1-1½ inch off the waist,the rise is thus shorter and loose the strip of rubber.I don´t see it on Wested pants.Maybe he should offer two versions...one for the "ScreenAccurates" and for us "regulars"... :-k :-s
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think a better fitting description of us would be ''headcases'' and ''sanes''

jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Holt wrote:I think a better fitting description of us would be ''headcases'' and ''sanes''

:rolling:
Very accurate description of us, I think.
So, Holt, is the rise of the Wested's less ample in room than Todd's? It seemed as if that was what you were implying earlier.

jlhampton
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

So, Holt, is the rise of the Wested's less ample in room than Todd's? It seemed as if that was what you were implying earlier.
That´s what I´d like to know too.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I just tried both types of pants on to be hemmed a couple of days ago, and I agree with what was posted above. For me, I just get a better fit from the Wested, and some of it to do with the rise. Todd's pants are lower, undoubtedly made that way due to the action sequences we see on film, in which the character is doing something physical in what could be deemed, dress pants, like whipping the bad guys on the SoC, running to find the basket, etc., as undoubtedly, the pants would ride (downward)and settle on the hip bone. He is also wearing this gear in 120-130f degree weather.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Any update about the pants? Have you taken any pics in full gear..I´m keen to see Combo in use.. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Been wanting to get back to this tread. Here is the Wested Combo offer:

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Could you take a photo without the jacket to show the shirt and another one to show the pants in their whole glory?
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Looking the pictures I have to say;Wested pants DO look better and seem to be fitting better,more modern-day,I prefer the look over Todd´s.Looks like I have some shoping to do... ;) The Jacket is custom-made,back panel looks like square,mine tapers a little downwards...But overallgrade is Excelent! :clap: :shock:
Oh and I second Tomeck..!
Last edited by MARQ on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The back panel is 19" at the top and 16 1/2" at the base. The jacket is just new and on the stiff side. To me, the shirt and pants are very comfortable, and the pants are especially reminiscent of LC.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I asked Gemma about the Pants and I got answers too..useful ones ! One thing was odd though,waistmeasurment she gave me was 17.5" for size 36".That´s too small like 35", is that correct!? I compared my dresspants to the Wested pants and there´s about 1-½ inch difference,which isn´t bad.And Wested´s unfinished overall length is 35".But the famous crotcharea is still a mystery to be solved..... :-k :-k ;) ;)
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

TS, what about those pants shots? Maybe you could also take some with and without flash?
I'd like to see how much tapered they are, and the colour of course.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

if you do a search on westeds pants you can easily find alot pictures and they would answer your question. westeds pants are the same pattern since they started offering these. meaning tapered leg pattern.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Holt, I know forum rules, but if you look at their website, pants section, you can tell some differences between TS's pants and pants from the pics, which are changed constantly (I check the site regularly). Beltloops are wider on TS's pants and that line above the pocket flaps is angled. So if they changed such minor details, maybe they've changed also the whole pattern.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

they havent :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Hello Gemma!
Here´s some measurments I took from pants that fit me well and look like Indy´s,
1.Waist:36" (17.5" )
2.Outerseam:44" includes the beltarea so overall length (48")
3.Innerseam:33" (35 inches )
4.Pant-leg-hem:9" so circeling ankle 18" (width ankle 9.5")
5.Mid Thigh:12.25" so circeling 24.5" (13" )
Herer´s what Gemma answered to my e-mail about the Wested pants.They are loose but not that much.. :-k
Bold numbers are Gemmas numbers..But that waist puzzles me.Any comment ,cuys?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Ask Peter about the particulars.