Legend Goatskin!?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Legend Goatskin!?

Post by whipcracker »

Anyone see this? :shock: I'm thinking who can I borrow $200 from?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Legend Goatskin!?

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah, I noticed this. There is no pic on the site. Wonder what's up with it?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I received an email from Wings yesterday that the goat Legend is part of the September Specials. $195.00. W>
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Same here, a little curious about this one. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

From what I'm hearing through the grapevine, don't hesitate on this one if you're interested.

Only 100 are supposedly being made, and once again, once they're gone, they're gone.

http://www.uswings.com/195.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Too bad for some, too good for others...I guess I'll just have to keep saving (someday I'll be able to save :roll: ).
CanadianRaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CanadianRaider »

I ordered an XXL late last night as soon as I saw it. I've wanted a new USW for a while now, and I've never owned a Goatskin Indy. Seems like a perfect match. Looking forward to receiving it, and for 200 it's not exactly too much of a risk. I'll be interested in the sizing though. I usually wear a XL. But I like my jackets a bit bigger on me. And I know the 30th Ann Lambskin has a leaner/shorter cut. So XXL seemed like a good choice.

Edit: Just checked my Inbox. Jacket was shipped this morning.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I'm guessing these are not made in the US? :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

From the pic of th website, Weston is wearing the new 30th Anniversary in that lightweight lamb. Based on the cut of the jacket (like the imported antique cowhide Legend) and price, my guess is that it is made overseas. :-k
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

When I received the email...I sent a reply asking if they were made in the USA. Here is the response:

"Import…. We do offer made in the USA but they are much more and are Union made."

I replied to this saying thanks and that to date I have never encountered any problems with Wings....The reply was:

"You will like it!!"
So...sounds like it is probably a pretty good deal. I don't plan on ordering one just now. So I will most likely lose out on this bargain. But I just ordered and received yesterday an Indy Kid's Jacket from them for my grandson and he is more important to me then getting 'yet another' Indy Jacket for myself. I would like to see one though! W>
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

CanadianRaider wrote:I ordered an XXL late last night as soon as I saw it. I've wanted a new USW for a while now, and I've never owned a Goatskin Indy. Seems like a perfect match. Looking forward to receiving it, and for 200 it's not exactly too much of a risk. I'll be interested in the sizing though. I usually wear a XL. But I like my jackets a bit bigger on me. And I know the 30th Ann Lambskin has a leaner/shorter cut. So XXL seemed like a good choice.

Have you received it yet? Please post a pic when you have!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I've been looking at this jacket for several days now and I finally pulled the trigger. I'm really partial to the lambskin but for the price I couldn't pass up the goat. Looking forward to having a jacket that actually fits me.
CanadianRaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CanadianRaider »

Baldwyn wrote:
CanadianRaider wrote:I ordered an XXL late last night as soon as I saw it. I've wanted a new USW for a while now, and I've never owned a Goatskin Indy. Seems like a perfect match. Looking forward to receiving it, and for 200 it's not exactly too much of a risk. I'll be interested in the sizing though. I usually wear a XL. But I like my jackets a bit bigger on me. And I know the 30th Ann Lambskin has a leaner/shorter cut. So XXL seemed like a good choice.

Have you received it yet? Please post a pic when you have!
Shipping will take a day or two longer as I'm Canada. But from past experience with USW, I'm guessing I'll have it Friday or Monday. I can certainly throw up some pics when it comes.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Looking forward to pics!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I'd love to see it as well! I know alot of us were lobbying for a goatskin Legend, and now, what do you know, there it is. Sarge corresponeded with me a bit leading up to his decision to go ahead with the antique lamb Legend, but the goatskin is an out of the blue suprise! The color must be very close to the lamb, because Wings did not ask for new pics for their site so my picture of the lamb is going double duty on this one, but if you look at their new A-2 2000, you will see Sarge wearing the goatskin. Nice grain! I'd pick one up in a heartbeat if I could.

Weston
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Man I so wish I could get one... But no houses sold but 2 this year. We will be :Dietrich: soon if nothing happens.

Whoever get one first must post pics fast...
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

whipcracker wrote:Whoever get one first must post pics fast...
Mine's due on Wednesday. (Is there a "gleefully rubbing hands together" smiley?)
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Well, I've been meaning to get a new jacket, since I've started hitting the gym again (I have a size 42 Wested ToD but my chest has filled back out to more of a 44). My budget isn't so great at the moment so I thought I'd take a big gamble and order one of these goatskin Legend jackets in XL-regular (I usually wear L-long) and hope the sleeves weren't too short/body too baggy (and that the leather was okay, since I haven't yet seen a picture/review of these things...).

I received it today and... well, the fit is surprisingly great. Wings tends to overdo the length of their jackets, body-wise, from my past experiences, so the length on this strikes me as just right for a Raiders. (I did briefly have the import L-long cowhide Legend which, despite the Legends having shorter body lengths than normal, was still too long for my taste). The sleeves still aren't quite long enough for me (they work okay now but once they wrinkle a bit they'll probably be too short, but I can pull out the extra from the cuff if I have to). The sleeves also seem cut a little baggy but I imagine that won't be a problem once they are broken in and conform to my body a little better.

The leather? Amazing! It is very soft and has a nice grain - noticeable but not over-the-top like I think some of these newer jackets look (striated lamb, or the Wested crispe, for example, are a bit much for my taste). The distressing/aging is there but it's nice and subtle. It's far less noticeable than it looks in these pictures, actually. It takes bright, direct sunlight or flash to really make it visible. It's a little shiny but not at all plastic-y like some goatskin tends to be, and right out of the box it's already much softer than my aforementioned Wested (which was authentic brown goat). It's pretty lightweight too - if it was just a little softer and lighter I'd almost think they accidentally sent me a lambskin, because it's just that soft and drapey.

Anyway, here's a few quick snaps. Like I said, the aging effect is more subtle than it looks under the flash.
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... etside.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... tfront.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... etopen.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... etback.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I do really like this jacket out of the box, and am glad the experience went more smoothly than the last time.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Man, that's killer! The fit looks good enough to be custom. Congrats, and thanks for showing it off!

Weston
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Great to see Wings offering an antiqued goatskin! Can you post some shots of the collar?
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Great to see Wings offering an antiqued goatskin! Can you post some shots of the collar?
Sure thing:

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ollar1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... ollar2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The collar actually looked super-huge when I first got it, but it was just folded kind of weird. It's looking better as it starts to relax.
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

I ordered mine today!
Should get it in a couple of weeks and will post up some pics.

George :lol:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

no longs! ](*,)
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Kokopelli wrote:no longs! ](*,)
Yeah, well there are no longs for the lambskin either. Good thing I got the regular legend US made XL long when I did. Awesome jacket! Thanks again Sarge! :clap: :tup: :TOH:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

thanks for the pics!!! trying to decide between keeping a cowhide legend version or getting the goatskin. already have a nowak goat raiders, so maybe it's redundant, but i love goat raiders jackets!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I got it!!! :D

I concur with most of what PsychicsandSwords said above. Although I still prefer lambskin, I'm now completely sold on goatskin. (The dull cowhides do nothing for me.) The leather is supple and the aroma is intoxicating. The color is a rich chocolate (not Raiders dark, though, IMO, esp. when compared directly against a Todd's). It's shiny without being too shiny. The sleeve and body lengths are perfect. (Well, the sleeves will be perfect after an inch or less of shrinkage.)

The collar is huge (for Raiders, anyway), but it's settling down. My major gripe is that although I provided my chest and waist measurements (46 and 36, respectively), this particular XL jacket seems to be cut for someone who's 46/46. Even with the adjustment straps cinched almost all the way, it still has an "A" shape from the side. (That is, it hangs away from my waist. It looks better when it's zipped.) I'm hoping it will relax and drape better. Still, there's a lot of freedom of movement, so I don't have to worry about splitting seams when I fight giant bald mechanics.

I didn't expect it to be completely SA (it probably didn't help that I spent part of the last few days analyzing the Raiders DVD), but it's close enough, and you can't beat the price. The only thing I think I'll have professionally corrected (by my local leather guy) is the straps. I'll have them detached and shortened, so there's not so much excess flapping around, and get an X-box stitch.

As far as distressing, I love the look, but at this point I'm not going to do anything to it but wear it as much as possible. What's amazing is that all of a sudden the weather went from sunny and hot to cloudy and cool. It's a sign.

Overall, I LOVE IT!

More pix here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v381/ ... ment/Indy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll try to get some "wearing" shots when my wife gets home.
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
CanadianRaider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CanadianRaider »

I finally received my jacket today. You'd think for the 35+ dollars they charge to ship to Canada, they could of at least used air... oh, well. Can't say the wait wasn't worth it. I'll try and throw up some pics tomorrow. But there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's a beautiful jacket. I currently own an off-the-rack Wested LC and a USW Hero. And I have owned a Todds standard and Todds "bantu wind" prior to selling them. This 30th Ann Legend is by far my favorite. The cut is perfect IMO. It's cut much tighter than the Hero, much more so than I thought. My only gripe is that I hoped it would be an inch or so longer. At 6.2 feet & 260 pounds, I tend to order long. So I knew to go XXL for the Legend, even though I only wear an XL. Even at with an XXL it just sits at my waist. Granted it will loosen over time, and losing at least 20 pounds on my part would solve it. But beyond that, it really is perfect. Not too big like the Hero, and not too snug like a Todds. And the Goatskin really feels tough.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Tundrarider wrote:
Oildale Jones wrote:Even with the adjustment straps cinched almost all the way, it still has an "A" shape from the side. (That is, it hangs away from my waist. It looks better when it's zipped.) I'm hoping it will relax and drape better.
I'm working on "not giving advice unlooked for." :oops: Let me know if you'd like some about this. ;)

Michael :TOH:
Absolutely, sir! Advise away. (And that goes for the rest of you, too: I'm always open to constructive criticism, gentle correction and/or considered opinions. That's why I'm here.)

I have a feeling you're going to say something like, "Loosen the straps." :)
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Oildale Jones wrote:I got it!!! :D

I concur with most of what PsychicsandSwords said above. I'm now completely sold on goatskin. (The dull cowhides do nothing for me.) The leather is supple and the aroma is intoxicating. The color is a rich, Raiders-y chocolate. It's shiny without being too shiny. The sleeve and body lengths are perfect. (Well, the sleeves will be perfect after an inch or less of shrinkage.)

The collar is huge, but it's settling down. My major gripe is that although I provided my chest and waist measurements (46 and 36, respectively), this particular XL jacket seems to be cut for someone who's 46/46. Even with the adjustment straps cinched almost all the way, it still has an "A" shape from the side. (That is, it hangs away from my waist. It looks better when it's zipped.) I'm hoping it will relax and drape better. Still, there's a lot of freedom of movement, so I don't have to worry about splitting seams when I fight giant bald mechanics.

I didn't expect it to be completely SA (it probably didn't help that I spent part of the last few days analyzing the Raiders DVD), but it's close enough, and you can't beat the price. The only thing I think I'll have professionally corrected (by my local leather guy) is the straps. I'll have them detached and shortened, so there's not so much excess flapping around, and get an X-box stitch.

As far as distressing, I love the look, but at this point I'm not going to do anything to it but wear it as much as possible. What's amazing is that all of a sudden the weather went from sunny and hot to cloudy and cool. It's a sign.

Overall, I LOVE IT!

More pix here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v381/ ... ment/Indy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll try to get some "wearing" shots when my wife gets home.
Nice narrow sleeves, but the usual gigantic armholes. It's a shame.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I'd like to see some pics of you guys (especially the "I usually wear a long, but I ordered up one size" guys). I've got the Large/Long legend, and the only thing I would change on it would be the hide - to goatskin. You say it's a little short? Post some pictures (full body length), and show us what you're talking about!
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Can you also post measurements of the goatskin guys. I'd live to buy one of these but USW said they won't do long versions (sleeve, back length) which is a huge shame. May have to give my $20 gift certificate away :(
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

CRB wrote:Can you also post measurements of the goatskin guys. I'd live to buy one of these but USW said they won't do long versions (sleeve, back length) which is a huge shame. May have to give my $20 gift certificate away :(
+1 measurements please!
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Measurements on my XL:
Back: 25 3/4
Sleeve: 26 1/2 (or about 37 1/4 from center back)
Chest: 24 (pit to pit)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Not surprisingly, my XL measures almost exactly the same. :) (The differences are a matter of 1/4".)

Now where's that advice I've been waiting patiently for...? :-k
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Whoa. I didn't realize the extent of this advice.

I appreciate the effort. Please take as much time as you need.
FedoraEnforcer
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by FedoraEnforcer »

Hi everyone,

about to commit to buying my first indy jacket and by the sounds of it, this deal seems to good too pass up. however i'm not sure what size i should buy ](*,)

At the moment i am 5'11" (181cm) and 155 pounds (70kg). so im thinking about getting a large, however i'm hitting the gym with the intent to gain 20 pounds (10kg) over the next 6 months to a year. If i get the large (based on the Wings website sizings) is that size okay... in your opinions... ????

Thanks heaps guys, this is a big step for me so i want to make the right choice both financially and asthetically... already learnt heaps though as i am going for the Goatskin due to durability and wear.

Regards gents,

FE
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Large sounds good for you. :-k

I'm 6 feet 1 and around 225 now, and am usually able to wear the standard Wings jacket in Large (I usually wear a size 44R), but was forced to go up to an extra large due to the trimmer fit of the Legend.

If you're planning on going up to around 185, I think the Large will work fine myself.

JMO, though. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Got mine today!
Awesome Jacket \:D/

George
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Does anyone happen to have this jacket in a size medium and a tape measure handy?

I love my Import Legend, but, I am now swimming in the size large.
I'd love to get one of these (c'mon, $195 for a goatskin!!), but I fear the medium will be too small and the large will be too, well, large. :-k

Any help would be appreciated. :TOH:

-Kevin
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

kwad wrote:Does anyone happen to have this jacket in a size medium and a tape measure handy?

I love my Import Legend, but, I am now swimming in the size large.
I'd love to get one of these (c'mon, $195 for a goatskin!!), but I fear the medium will be too small and the large will be too, well, large. :-k

Any help would be appreciated. :TOH:

-Kevin
I just ordered a medium! I should get it by Wednesday, so I'll make the appropriate measurements for you when I do.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Measurements ? Certainly. I have a medium in the lamb version of this. I'd love to know what the Large measurements are.

Back length: 25.25"
Sleeve length: 24"
Pit to pit: 23.25"
Shoulder: 18.5"

Is the goatskin soft like the lamb ?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Thank you very much!
Exactly what I was looking for. :TOH:

-Kevin
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

You're welcome. And the large measurements are ... ?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I really like the 30th Legend in antique goathide. You will really appreciate the soft goatskin. I think it is one of the best they offer, and for the price.....>>>>--------->>

;)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

CRB

Hmm, my size Large imported legend measurements are (taken when the jacket was new)

Pit to Pit: 23"
Waist: 22"
Back: 25" (from bottom of collar stand to hem)
Sleeves: 26" (from sholder seam to cuff, outside)

With the exception of the sleeve length, my large seems to be smaller than your medium :-k

Are the "30th Anniversary" model and the regular Legend Imports different?

OK, now I'm even more confused than before :?

-Kevin
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

I have an Antique Hero in Cowhide XL (perfect fit) :tup:
My 30th Legend in Goatskin is XXL (perfect fit) :tup:

I was informed by USW I should go up 1 size because the Legend is a smaller cut.
Great advice!

George
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Thanks for those measurements, although as you say this actually makes things more confusing ! I guess this is why USW dont publish their sizes, as basically they cant control what gets made, sounds all very "roughly" to me. Which is a shame as the quality of their jackets is excellent, some of the nicest leathers around :(
Anyone got a 30th Anniversary in large ?
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

CRB,

The sizing thing has turned me off from purchasing from them again.
I know that they will do exchanges, but, I'd rather just avoid the hassel. :(
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

CRB wrote:Thanks for those measurements, although as you say this actually makes things more confusing ! I guess this is why USW dont publish their sizes, as basically they cant control what gets made, sounds all very "roughly" to me. Which is a shame as the quality of their jackets is excellent, some of the nicest leathers around :(
Anyone got a 30th Anniversary in large ?
Really?! They truly have no control control over what gets made, or how the jackets come back sized? :-s Yes, it is a shame, because I've always liked the quality of their jackets, but I've never received a jacket from them that fit me right. kwad, I understand exactly where you're coming from, because exchanging one non-fitting jacket for another non-fitting jacket is, indeed, a pain. I've tried twice over the years to no avail. It's also why I wish they would do number sizing on their jackets. Most any jacket from most any maker that I've tried, listed as a 40 regular, has fit me within a reasonable proximity of what I would expect a 40 regular to be. (And they've all fit me.) I've never, personally, purchased a USW jacket in either small, medium, or large that comes close to fitting me like a standard 40 regular. And it's also confusing that each Indy jacket variant seems to have different sizing specs. Again, this has been my personal experience. I'm jealous of you who have jackets that fit you right!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I am going so back and forth over this jacket as the pics of that leather look lovely! I have put it "into my cart" like 5 or 6 times and then just keep stopping...I have some great jackets...don`t need another one...but this leather goatskin just keeps calling me.....so before the sale runs out, can anyone tell me how high up the side vents are on the bottom of the jacket? The website description claims that they are "correctly" small. I need high vents...that`s my personal demon of screen accuracy- the side vents and strap configuration. So if anyone can measure theirs on a medium and post I would greatly appreciate so I can maybe decide before this fantastic sale ends! :TOH: