New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Hey Mark, I know what you mean by being a little worried with the sizing. We've hit a heckuva cold spot this past weekend and it's suppose to run through Thursday so I've been wearing mine constantly in the rain and it's breaking in nicely. The leather grain is starting to become more prominent and the drape is perfect. I will say the collar took a bit to get formed right but it's held its shape ever since. Can't wait to see you pics! :tup:

:TOH:
-TS
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Hey Mark, I know what you mean by being a little worried with the sizing. We've hit a heckuva cold spot this past weekend and it's suppose to run through Thursday so I've been wearing mine constantly in the rain and it's breaking in nicely. The leather grain is starting to become more prominent and the drape is perfect. I will say the collar took a bit to get formed right but it's held its shape ever since. Can't wait to see you pics! :tup:

:TOH:
-TS
+1
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Couple more photos:

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks for the pics CRB, it looks great! Mark, I'm looking forward to yours.

Weston
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

My jacket arrived on Friday and I very pleased with it. The fit for me is incredible, the best fitting jacket from Wings, out of the box. As others have stated the collar is a bit wonky and will need to be "worked". The leather is as soft as any leather I have ever felt which includes the NZ lamb. I love the color of the jacket, dark brown with lighter brown undertones in the correct spots, and the stitching is excellent. I have no pictures to post at the moment, dead battery in the camera, but will do so soon.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Anyone care to share the measurements for the Large in this ?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Post by lantzn »

Crb. That has a beautiful rich dark chocolate color about it. Sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Finally had the opportunity to take a few photographs yesterday. This is a truly awesome jacket.

CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Nice jacket! What size did you get and what are the measurements? Cheers
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Awesome Scott! I think that one suits you better than any I've seen you in so far. Something about it...I don't know, but it works! That last pic; if you were wearing a fedora and staring at a mountain instead of a spruce tree I'd think I was looking at a still from the opening scene of Raiders.

Weston
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Agreed. That jacket really works well on you, Scott!
:) :tup:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Wow! What a beautiful leather! And it fits you perfect and sharp. :clap: :clap:
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Thanks for the compliments guys. This is definetly the best fitting jacket I have got from Wings out of the box. I absolutely love it. My Legend Cowhide will not get as much wear anymore. I like this jacket so much I listed my Todd's standard lambskin in the Cairo Bazzar this weekend.
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

Nice Scott! It looks like the jacket had a shorter length and a more snug fit compared to the Legend Cow and the Hero that you had. Would you say this is a considerably trimmer fit? Smaller in size?
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

damieneo wrote:Nice Scott! It looks like the jacket had a shorter length and a more snug fit compared to the Legend Cow and the Hero that you had. Would you say this is a considerably trimmer fit? Smaller in size?

This jacket is definitely shorter than either Hero jacket I own and much trimmer than the New Zealand Hero. When compared to my Cow Hero and Cow Legend it actually has much more room in the shoulders and across the back making it the most comfortable to wear and gives me the most freedom of movement. The pictures I have posted here of the Cow Legend are of my original and it has since been replaced by Wings with a new one due to a zipper failure. Wings was very cooperative with that exchange. The newer jacket was a little slimmer than than the first.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I wonder if the water treatment will even out the color?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here is mine after being sprayed with a water bottle and worn for a long walk in the direct sunlight while pulling on the collar and kneading the leather in various places.....needless to say, the local neighbors were puzzled..

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100052.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100642.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 095937.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

That looks fantastic. I'd probably undo the side straps a bit but it still looks fantastic.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

My Medium is up for sale in the Bazaar ...
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Hello guys! I'm new to this site as of Jan. 8, 2012 and I gotta say I love it! Not sure if this is the right post to place this but here I go. I'm interested in the US Wings Texas Steerhide "Legend" Jacket because it's a more of a tailored, trimmer fit. I'm conerned about the sleeve length thou. Does anybody know if they are the same as a regular jacket? I don't want them to be too short. I was also looking at the Antique Cowhide jacket in a Medium size but i'm afaid that the body and arm holes might be too big. They did say to order a size smaller on that jacket (Antigue Cowhide) if you want a more trimmer fit which I would get a small then. I'm really having a hard time with this, so many to choose from...LOL...Any help would be appreciated. I'v always wanted a real Indy jacket, I'v always had to made do with the one I have, I'll post a pic of it whenever i figure out how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help, ad again this is a great site!! David
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

David,

Welcome to the madness! :lol:

I don't know about the steer hide, but I bought a Legend in striated lamb last fall. I wound up going through three jackets, two larges, and one medium, plus a medium long that I tried on at Wings's shop before I finally found the right size for me. I made a chart with the various measurements which may be of help to you. You can view it here.
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as the legend being a more tailored fit, I don't believe that's the case, but then of course it depends on your size. The armholes on the Legend are definitely big, too big in my opinion, but it is a very nice jacket, and I am very happy with my purchase. Good luck, and remember, get the jacket that's right for you. :TOH:

SJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Compared to the standard Wings patterns, the Legend is definitely more tailored around the mid-section.

I've handled and owned more Wings jackets than I care to remember, and I've always, and I DO mean always take a size 'large' in each and every offering. The fit has always been dead on the money.

I had an example Legend come in in a Large. I could put it one, but couldn't zip the thing. I got one in an xtra large, and it fits just like the standard Wings large does.

So, just using my example, I always recommend going UP one size in the Legend pattern if you know what your standard Wings sizing is.

Regards! Michaelson
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help that you guys gave, it has been very helpful, althou I'm still undecided as to what to get but I do plan on deciding tonight and to put my order in as soon as I do decide. But my eye keeps going to to the Texas Steerhide Legend Jacket. I think I will order that one in a medium. Does anybody know the difference between the US made jackets and an imported ones? Is the zipper on the imported ones on the right like any other mens jacket or coat? I'v got a Rocketeer jacket that I bought off the internet but the zipper is on the opposite side of what I'm use to! Just feels strange to me! Well again thanks for your help, hope I'm not being a pain...lol..David
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They're both made with standard U. S. type zippers.

I HIGHLY recommend the U. S. made versions. They're made by Schott.

I love the hides I've examined of the imports, but absolutely HATE the slick lining. JMO, but I've told David Hack that in review, and as recently as day before yesterday.

The U. S. made version are made of the same material, and quite frankly I think the QC is MUCH better on the Schott made versions.

Regards! Michaelson
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Michaelson,ShanghaiJack, I just wanted to let you know that I decided on getting the Texas Steerhide Legend Jacket in a medium from US Wings. I bought the Imported one because that is the price that I can afford! Not really sure what the difference is between the Us or the imported one but like I said it is in my price range. I sure hope it is everything I Hope for but then again if you saw the jacket I have been using before you would understand even the import will be 100% better...LOL...Again thanks for everything. I will post again when I recieve the jacket, I still don't know how to post pics thou!David
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

:TOH: I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

Well I ordered one. I'd been looking to order a new one has my ten year old wested DB lambskin crusade is falling apart (It's been through the ringer and then some). I liked the goatskin US wings but saw it too late and they're now out of my size. I love the seal brown look of this legend jacket. I really wanted that since my last one was dark brown, wanted to change it up. Thanks to the always spot on advice of such venerated minds here, I think I've made the right decision. I ordered a Large. I'm usually right around a 42 regular, and Medium is usually just right for me. Large is usually just a tiny bit to roomy for me, but from what I hear about the sizing on these I went a size up. Hopefully all works out for the best. Thanks again for all your input guys!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

If you're a 42, Large is for you. That's what I have - in both lamb and goat. Might sell the goat sometime...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Agreed. I wear a 42 and got a M. I felt like a sausage! Exchanged for a L and it's much better.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Wells guys I finally recieved my Texas Steerhide legend jacket today! Man it is so soft but kinda heavy, but I wanted something like that because I was afraid the lighter stuff might snag and rip on something. Its a little darker than I thought but I do like it and I really think the fit is good. I hope the length of the sleeves look ok, I'll get some pics up soon and see what you guys think! Thanks again for all ur input and info!!! David
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I feel the same way about my TSH. It`s kinda on the heavy side for me and doesn`t really drape very Raidersy but it is so cool that I have just been wearing it sans Indy Gear. I took mine by the sleeve and bashed it into the ground many times and although it has scuffed really nicely, it still fits sturdy like a new jacket. B
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

dnn1314 wrote:Wells guys I finally recieved my Texas Steerhide legend jacket today! Man it is so soft but kinda heavy, but I wanted something like that because I was afraid the lighter stuff might snag and rip on something. Its a little darker than I thought but I do like it and I really think the fit is good. I hope the length of the sleeves look ok, I'll get some pics up soon and see what you guys think! Thanks again for all ur input and info!!! David
Is that the import or the US version?

I am a 42 as well. Right on the line though of being a 44. In fact a couple of my leather jackets are 42 motorcycle jackets. They fit quite tight especially in the chest. I would prefer this jacket to be large enough to wear layers or a thin sweater if need be. From what I hear the Legend should be ordered up in size and a the hero or signature lines I would likely wear a medium as they are roomier.

I wanted to buy one of the $195 specials, but my choices in available sizes are now pretty slim. Either the light lambskin, which says it is a Asian lamb or the import steer. I have tended to prefer heavier leather jackets as most of mine are horse or cow.
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Warbird, I had ordered the Import size medium in the texas steerhide! I do Like the jacket and I have been wearing it here and there since I got it a few days ago. I have not done any measuring on it yet as I havent really had the time but I will take some when I get a few moments, just hope I do the measureing correct..LOL...I do think the sleeve length is ok for me, as I'm not very big in the chest I think I do have room under it for a sweater thou, just for the record I'm 5' 11" and about 170, my chest measures about 40". The jacket is very well made I have to say, I was pleasently surprised. I also got a SGT. Hack t-shirt with it and they also gave me a hanger for the jacket. Also in the box there was a small book about the life of SGT. Hack and a Cd single of a song called "Ballad of Sergeant Hack", again havent had time to listen to that. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. David
dnn1314
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dnn1314 »

Hey guys, I finally got a photobucket account started. I added pics of my Texas Steerhide legend jacket, still no measurements yet thou. Sorry about the fedora pics in there also, I got that about 2 weeks ago from Todds, I posted them in the Downtowner thread also. I still gotta learn photobicket. Like I said I really like the jacket and the sleeves feel good to me but not sure if it looks ok overall! If I had gotten the next size up I'm sure it would have been way too big in the arms and chest and waist. I'm very happy with the jacket, fit and feel, later...David
http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u509/unimatrix13/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

Large ended up being too big for me so I exchanged it for a medium. The jacket is beautiful!!! The leather is softer than a baby's behind. Gorgeous color, and ultra lightweight. It feels like virtually nothing compared to the weight of my old Wested DB lambskin. A note about sizing: I picked up Gorak's Legend goatskin which is also a medium. The goat seems to run a little smaller than the lamb. Maybe with these jackets being imported the sizings vary a tad bit. I had my dad try on the lambskin one and he looked so good in it I gave it to him seeing as my goatskin is now my go to jacket. I don't have a good digicam right now but did snap a shot of him with my iphone.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Now THERE'S a man who knows how to wear a leather jacket!!! :shock:

It takes the man to make the clothing rather than the other way round!! :clap:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Agreed! :tup:
Gorak