"Streets of Cairo" dust pic

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

"Streets of Cairo" dust pic

Post by DarenHenryW »

I know this is kind of a lame post, but I just took my Del Carpio Raiders whip out for a spin in my front yard. I'm in the middle of completely re-doing the front yard and putting in a nice fresh lawn. In the meantime though, I'm still in the roto-tiller phase, so there's just a bunch of dirt. This means I don't crack my whips too much, but I've been missing it, I just went outside and came back in. Thus, my whip has a nice SOC look about it.

:whip:

DHW
riku1914
Vendor

Re: "Streets of Cairo" dust pic

Post by riku1914 »

It does look a lot like the SOC whip, bottom very dusty. You're not going to clean it off or anything? The whips I've taken apart, just

a nylon and a vinyl, even when there was no dirt on the outside, the inside was dusted, just like that, that can't be good for it...
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Supercool looking whip, sir. Even if it wasnt related at all to SoC, it would still be awesomelooking...very loved.
:tup: :tup:
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Thanks, Gorak!

Riku, naturally I cleaned it, but as I walked in the house with it, I just thought I'd snap the pic since it looks so much like the whip in the lower right of this collage:

As to the dirt, I can say this: Normally, I only crack my whips on a grass, or some other clean and forgiving surface. But whips are tools, as Anthony DeLongis would say, and since he practices all day on dirt and dust, it doesn't seem to bother him, so I don't think a little dirt once in awhile is a big deal. As hobbyists, I think we are all a bit too concerned with how our whips are treated. For regular stuntmen and working cowboys, a whip is no different than a shovel; it does a job and then you put it away when you are done. Naturally, a whip requires more care than a shovel, but they are both going to get dirty if you use them the way they were meant to be used.

DHW
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

DarenHenryW wrote:
As to the dirt, I can say this: Normally, I only crack my whips on a grass, or some other clean and forgiving surface. But whips are tools, as Anthony DeLongis would say, and since he practices all day on dirt and dust, it doesn't seem to bother him, so I don't think a little dirt once in awhile is a big deal. As hobbyists, I think we are all a bit too concerned with how our whips are treated. For regular stuntmen and working cowboys, a whip is no different than a shovel; it does a job and then you put it away when you are done. Naturally, a whip requires more care than a shovel, but they are both going to get dirty if you use them the way they were meant to be used.

DHW
I couldn't agree more!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Daren,

Cool picture!
You know, I think you may have a goldmine on your hands.
It appears that your house was built on a foundation of SA, "Streets of Cairo" dirt.
You could bag it up and sell it to people wishing to artificially distress their whips. :lol:

Some of the things I see Anthony do with his whips make me laugh.
He twists them and pulls on them, cracks them in dirt, swings them by the thong and slams the handles into the ground.......Everything that everyone on the internet has ever told you not to do with a whip. :lol: Lucky for him he can write them off as a business expense.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I really agree with you Daren, we're sometimes TOO careful with whips.

It did have that really "ashy" color.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

You shouldn't do most of the things that Anthony DeLongis does with his whips - this is true only if you wish to maintain your whip for a long time. If on the other hand, mimicking him or Indy is a bigger priority than preserving your hand-made investment, go right ahead.

Just keep in mind this tool is a bit more expensive shovel...

Franco
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

DarenHenryW wrote:Thanks, Gorak!

DHW
+1

Your whip looks killer-- but I'm still glad you cleaned it;)

B
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Canuck Digger wrote:You shouldn't do most of the things that Anthony DeLongis does with his whips - this is true only if you wish to maintain your whip for a long time. If on the other hand, mimicking him or Indy is a bigger priority than preserving your hand-made investment, go right ahead.

Franco
:lol: I'm trying to mix both, I used to be so careful, I wouldn't even crack it in dry grass ( dry as in not green ) and I would barely

throw it, now I'll crack it on dry grass, and put the correct pressure on it, I mean I would REALLY undertoruqe it for fear or ruining

it. Now, it still has the same transition stiffness, and cracks normally.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Canuck Digger wrote:You shouldn't do most of the things that Anthony DeLongis does with his whips - this is true only if you wish to maintain your whip for a long time. If on the other hand, mimicking him or Indy is a bigger priority than preserving your hand-made investment, go right ahead.

Franco

:tup:

Unless that's one heck of an expensive shovel or your job is to work with whips like Anthony. And last time I checked, most of us aren't regular stuntmen or cowboys. ;)

Thanks for sharing the picture though.
Eloquent 1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Eloquent 1 »

That is a great likeness! Thanks for sharing that, I truly enjoy seeing how these whips change with use and age.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

Wow! Excellent! That's quite some likeness. Great picture. Thanks.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Oh dang it!!!

We went out to have a work day at our deer lease, I took my two whips out to play around with, the newest one, the roo one I

only used where there wasn't dust ( hardly at all :lol: )

The other one I used freely, it was already in bad shape so I thought I'd test what it could do. I used it all day in "sand" like dirt,

along with it occasionally being dragged on by briars, and getting the cows out of the way. I of course cleaned them thoroughly

when I got home and gave them a good coat of leather dressing. What I'm upset about is that the calf whip, the one I used

anywhere, REALLY had a SOC look to it, I should have taken a picture, didn't think about it in time.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Lookin' good, Daren! I'm always afraid to use my whips in the sand and dirt because I don't have the cash to replace my shovel if it falls apart, but that looks awesome!

Anyway, hurry up and finish your yard so you can practice your targeting. You've got a title to defend in a few months at the Queen Mary Bullwhip Targeting Competition... ;) :whip:

[shameless plug] Indy Gear Queen Mary Summit website [/shameless plug]

I guess I should go practice, too!

Shane
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

As much as I love that photo above and the look of the whip in that scene from the film, I don't think I could ever bring myself to get my whip that dirty!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

What you do if it gets like

that ( at least what I do ) is I get a paper towel, wet it well, squeeze it out, then go over the whip with it folded in half. Of course

making sure it's moved around every once in a while so it's not just being smeared. Then I give it all a light coat of pecards.
Last edited by riku1914 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

I'm sure it wouldnt hurt it but you've seen pictures of my whip I think? It's in mint condition and hasn't even been cracked properly in it's 22 year old life.

That's why I couldn't bring myself to get it this dirty, although I'm sure it wouldn't harm it but I don't think it would be in the condition it is now if I had done that too often.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Collectedin89 wrote:I'm sure it wouldnt hurt it but you've seen pictures of my whip I think? It's in mint condition and hasn't even been cracked properly in it's 22 year old life.

That's why I couldn't bring myself to get it this dirty, although I'm sure it wouldn't harm it but I don't think it would be in the condition it is now if I had done that too often.
Oh I didn't know you meant that whip :lol: Of course don't touch that thing :lol:
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

riku1914 wrote:
Collectedin89 wrote:I'm sure it wouldnt hurt it but you've seen pictures of my whip I think? It's in mint condition and hasn't even been cracked properly in it's 22 year old life.

Oh I didn't know you meant that whip :lol: Of course don't touch that thing :lol:
Ha ha! I won't. Glad you get me now!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Collectedin89 wrote:
riku1914 wrote:

lol, I'm Jeremym on indylounge, we've been having two different conversations on the same thread on two different forums :lol:
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

riku1914 wrote:
Collectedin89 wrote:
riku1914 wrote:

lol, I'm Jeremym on indylounge, we've been having two different conversations on the same thread on two different forums :lol:
Lol. It's hard to keep up with who is who around here and on the different Indy forums. Nice to make your acquaintence mate!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

It looks very SOC, you use it well! It's nicely broken in, just like mine 9 footer.
BTW, how's your whip collection? Still growing?