For a single-color whipmaker: Braiding different colors?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

For a single-color whipmaker: Braiding different colors?

Post by PyramidBlaster »

OK, so here we go. I've been making whips since '94, out of leather AND nylon. Thing is, they've always been one color.

Now i'm setting up for my next project, something a little different...AND i'm doing it in two colors. Now, I'm not looking at doing anything too crazy...Basically sticking with one or two patterns for the length of the whip. I'm thinking of breaking up the colors, perhaps like in this whip elsewhere on the board:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54843476@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I ask you. For those that are working with different colors, and especially nylon (Lauren comes to mind)...Have any quick suggestions on how I stagger the laces as I braid to get different effects? As I said, i'm pretty savvy...But I'd love to get a little input before I start experimenting, to maybe make the process a little less painful....I want to get this one done before the QM summit!

Anyone? Thanks in advance for the wealth of knowledge I am about to receive.....!

Pyramidblaster
riku1914
Vendor

Re: For a single-color whipmaker: Braiding different colors?

Post by riku1914 »

Ok here's how it is, for that pattern you saw, or for the tiger pattern, which I'm sure you could find easily, it's just the regular ole

whip makers pattern, i.e. for 16 plait it's u4 o4 for 12 plait is u3 o3, the only thing you change is how you set up the strands initially.

It takes some doing at first, but it comes easy after you experiment a little.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Yeah, I kinda figured that one out by looking a little...I'm not necessarily looking for EXACTLY that, but...I'm not really looking for stripes that run the length of the whip, as it were...I'd rather alternate the colors, in almost a...Camoflage way, I guess, but that might not be the most accurate description...

Anyone else? Bueller?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Tiger stripes is what you're looking for. Let me find an example ...

http://www.midwestwhips.com/Whip%20Gall ... t%20A.html

A midwest whip in 3 tone tiger stripes. Obviously a much finer plait count than nylon, but that alternating color is what counts.
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

Let me know if you are interested in designing your own patterns. It's easy and I could give you a few tips. :TOH:

Luke
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I'm interested in patterns, but I'm kinda just trying to find a very basic explanation on what people do to alter the placement of the strands to come up with different patterns...Just kind of a basic primer, if you will, nothing exactly specific. I can see how that basic tigerstripe works, and checkerboard patterns.

It's kind of hard to define exactly what i'm looking for, but I guess to sum it up, i'm looking at expanding my basic knowledge of how changing the plaiting order changes the orientation of the strands...So I can more easily figure out some patterns. I'm trying to take some of the very basic guesswork and trial-and error out of it, so I can 'skip to the good stuff'...The 'tiger stripe' pattern Riku's been talking about is a good start, but I may be looking at a variation of it.

I appreciate everyone's patience so far...It's hard to put into words the nebulous sort of knowledge i'm trying to glean here....
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

It all depends on how you start out your plaiting. Some do it differently. You want it all to end out like this though:

for tiger stripes, let's say we're talking 16 plait, you have 8 on each side. Of those 8, let's say the top 4 are red, the bottom 4 are

black. On the other side, the top 4 are black, the other 4 are red. For on solid color on each side, you just set all black on one

and all red on the other. Again, I can't tell you " put 4 red here 4 black here " because you may start them off differently than I

do. Takes a little experiementing. If your'e doing nylon then you're going to have a few plaited bellies, experiment with colors and

starting it all on those bellies. That way once you get to the overlay, you won't need much experimenting, you'll know what order

to put the strands in to get tiger stripes, and you won't have to untangle 16 strands over and over again.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

The Belly suggestion is a good idea. All good information, and it'll get me started.

Thanks!!!
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

PyramidBlaster wrote:I'm interested in patterns, but I'm kinda just trying to find a very basic explanation on what people do to alter the placement of the strands to come up with different patterns...Just kind of a basic primer, if you will, nothing exactly specific. I can see how that basic tigerstripe works, and checkerboard patterns.

Well with my method you can sketch whatever design you want and turn it into a braid order like u1, o3, u2, o1, u3, o2. That's what I meant. I wish you best of luck!

~Luke