Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

What If Indy Had Worn A Waxed Cotton Trailmaster Type Jacket

Post by CM »

It might have happened.

I think something _ said in another thread got me here. At COW we sometimes imagine Indy in a different kind of leather jacket - a pattern based on the story boards or actual jackets from the period. But what if Indy's jacket had been a waxed cotton number? I think Belstaff first made them in the 1920's for bikers and pilots (adventurer types) - period accurate, then.

It would be a longer jacket, I imagine, with a belt, more like the Hellboy jacket or the jacket Will Smith wears in I Am Legend. I can actually see such a garment being worn by Harrison Ford in Raiders. A different look, sure, but I kind of like it. And waxed cotten is hard wearing and distresses really well - it kind of looks like leather, actually. What do others think? :-k
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: What If Indy Had Worn A Waxed Cotton Trailmaster Type Ja

Post by ron521 »

The franchise would have still been successful...look how big the James Bond movies have been, and Bond rarely, if ever, has worn a leather jacket. However, leather jackets have a certain allure which a waxed cotton Belstaff coat does not have, no matter how popular they may be. So, it is unlikely that the series would have ignited a special interest in Belstaff coats.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

One things for sure, if he HAD worn the 'Jungle Jim' type cotton trail jacket, it would have been a whole lot cheaper to acquire than our leather jackets! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, I TOTALLY understand WHY he did. I'm just saying the cost would have been less....but visual impact would be deminished tremendously!

That A1 is a peach! =P~

Regards! Michaelson
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

If the character wore that type of jacket, we'd all be pining over and purchasing that jacket :lol: Other then that, nothing really would have changed.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Indian Bones might have taken inspiration from someone like Livingstone, Howard Carter or a Hiram Bingham and initially wore a Trailmaster, then adapted his own style. Just like we take inspiration from Indy and then adapt our our style. ;)
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Only the 3/4 length coat would make it difficult to get to the whip - the bag could be work on the outside a-la CS but the gun belt would still have a far less practical use if it were covered and hindered by a longer coat tail.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Who's talking about reality? :?
We're still talking about the fictional character 'Indiana Jones', right? Just, in a different jacket. :TOH:
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

_ wrote:IF he were to wear a leather jacket? I think the A1 the more likely candidate:

=P~
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

ron521 wrote:. However, leather jackets have a certain allure which a waxed cotton Belstaff coat does not have, no matter how popular they may be. So, it is unlikely that the series would have ignited a special interest in Belstaff coats.
I don't know about that, ron. Over on the filmjackets site, the waxed cotton Bestaff worn by Will Smith in Legend is one of the most popular and coveted jackets, outrating many leathers and even Indy's. So who knows for sure.
;)
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What If Indy Had Worn A Waxed Cotton Trailmaster Type Jacket

Post by 61ButteMT »

Waxed? There'd be endless threads on SA wax, er, paraffin :TOH:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

_ wrote:Given what he "does?" I think it a more likely choice. In fact, I'd think the most likely would be a field poplin W&G safari coat.

Lost Worlds makes a replica:

I hate that look, maybe because it reminds me of the clothes worn by egomaniac and b-grade movie directors like Brian de Palma - apologies to those who like his material. :-
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Jackets like this always remind me of Moore-era James Bond.

Not fond memories. [-(

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Jackets like this always remind me of Moore-era James Bond.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

You are dead-on the money there!!! #-o

Now, I'll never be able to look at one of those jackets again without thinking that!

:TOH:
-TS
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I know it's not the exact jacket (I never wanted it to be)
but still...

CM wrote:I hate that look, maybe because it reminds me of the clothes worn by egomaniac and b-grade movie directors like Brian de Palma
(Mitch stands alone in the savage jungles of Nova Scotia and sheds a single tear...)
:(

;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

_ wrote:Lmao! Yeah - put on a fat old Saint they have a leisure suit look?

Wish he'd have just stayed Simon Templar...
Yeah, the longer jacket did nothing to hide the gut. Sort of like attempting a comb-over.
Tennessee Smith wrote:You are dead-on the money there!!! #-o

Now, I'll never be able to look at one of those jackets again without thinking that!
-TS
Sorry about that. :P

But no better place to wear safari gear than...Paris?

(Mitch stands alone in the savage jungles of Nova Scotia and sheds a single tear...) :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPsdkTCufs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Last edited by Indiana Jeff on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:rolling:

interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

The W&G safari jacket would have been a much better choice than the Trialmaster (it is Trialmaster, not Trailmaster) for practicality. I've worn my Trialmaster riding motorcycles for decades and I can tell you they don't breath well, and when it's really hot the wax bleeds out and it gets very gummy. The gummy feeling goes away somewhat with age, but it's always there. You have to remember, they were design for riding motorcycles in rainy England, not for the jungles of Peru or the deserts of Egypt. Once again, real world observation, not movie imagination!

Brian
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

He would have ended up looking like this guy

Or this guy

Or this guy

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Post by The Antiquarian »

I think if Indiana Jones wore a cotton sort of jacket instead (whether safari style or more military), he would still be seen as a cool character, although I think the leather naturally adds a bit more to it. It's leather, when people think of movie characters wearing leather, many think of it as being cool.

Indiana Jeff wrote:Jackets like this always remind me of Moore-era James Bond.

Not fond memories. [-(

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I actually find the Roger Moore safari shirt/jacket look kind of stylish. As a matter in fact, my purchase of this shirt:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabe ... zmDULv_duv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was sort of inspired by this shirt or jacket when I was watching The Man With the Golden Gun:

http://www.bondcollection.com.ar/MG-TYV ... Safari.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yKcC6xGjlGY/T ... afari2.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dislike the flared pants though. Roger Moore's also my second favorite James Bond after Sean Connery.

Anyway, I wore the Cabela's shirt while hiking in the mountains, it protected my fair skin from the sun adequately enough. I had to wear a straw hat though, as the heat was a bit much for felt.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Whatever he'd be wearing.... we'd be wearing it now 8-[]