Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Imported Legend Quality of Construction

Post by Bogie1943 »

Hello Friends,

I recently purchased a US Wings Imported Legend striated lamb and have encountered some issues with the construction quality in terms of stitching. Mainly with the patch pockets. Anyone have a similar experience? Having said that I really love the jacket. The hide is really something interesting.

Just wanted to add that I am not attempting to bad mouth US Wings via this topic. The photo links below will show you what I'm talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1914.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1912.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1911.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Josh
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Imported Legend Quality of Construction

Post by kwad »

I have a antique cowhide Import, and haven't found any issues.
However, in the first photo, is your finger poking from the cargo pocket and out of the handwarmer?
That's not good! :-k
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Yes indeed my finger is poking through lol that's the biggest issue I have and I didn't notice it at first. I'm going to make repairs by hand myself.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Bogie1943 wrote:Yes indeed my finger is poking through lol that's the biggest issue I have and I didn't notice it at first. I'm going to make repairs by hand myself.

Did you buy it new or was it 2nd Hand?...If it's new you might want to show it Sarge first and see what he says....In my experience he's very responsive...

Ian
raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

I was looking at getting a US wings CE, I'm in Scotland and emailed Amber about their Returns policy on International orders, seems that all sales are Final. I asked if that applied to faulty items also and if they would give international orders a second check due to the finality of it. Her reply:
We do check every jacket before it is shipped.
Unfortunately, all orders shipping outside of the United States are final.
Seems like yours fell through the net, but maybe the US made ones are better, I dunno, although I'd dearly love to order one I'm not prepared to take the risk, I know you are going to repair it yourself but if it was mine I would'nt accept it. But seems I'd have no choice given their policy.

I'm not bashing US Wings - I wanted to order one as I said - but their policy seems to discourage it.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

I have no issues with my 'Made in USA' US Wings Legend in steer hide I recently bought. I went over it inside and out and the materials and costruction is flawless.

Cheers,
W-W
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Josh,

It looks like the pocket was tacked down, but not really stitched. Oversight, maybe?
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Actually I did purchase this jacket second hand which I am very happy with just so you know :clap: I contacted US Wings via email and included photos of the pocket issue. After talking to a one gentleman there who asked me details about the problem, I finally heard from Sarge. This was the last email in the chain. He told me to fix it at my own expense or in other words take a hike was the feeling I got from the short email. Not what I expected of Sarge from what I have heard about him but oh well. Not exactly the type of service I am used to with some other jacket makers. At least it's a small problem I can fix myself at this point.

From what I have seen the US made jackets look a lot better in terms of construction and pattern. I'd like to get my hands on one.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, considering Wings do not manufacture jackets in house, as well as the fact you got the jacket second hand, I'm not sure what they COULD do for you. You're NOT their customer, Josh. The orignal buyer was. They haven't received a dime from you.

I don't know many vendors who would do anything unless they did in-house repairs. Even G&B will only honor repairs and warranty items to the original buyer, and that's the key point....original buyer, not second hand market buyers.

The only option Wings could have offered you would have been a replacement if you had been the original purchaser and the jacket had been received in that condition, and then returned in the original packaging and tags. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

This is true. I totally understand what you mean Michaelson and as always appreciate your input. In my email to them I wasn't asking them to repair or replace anything as a matter of fact. I just wanted to bring it to their attention that there might be a quality issue with their manufacturer. I wasn't expecting anything in return and would of course expect to pay for repairs on a second hand jacket if they offered such services. This hasn't turned me away from Wings in the least. I am still interested in adding a Legend US made to my collection.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

This is a QC issue. The pocket was tacked down but not sewn down. Someone probably tacked it down temporarily, thinking they would get back to it, and sew it on properly, but may have forgotten it. Though he is the second owner, it was not his fault and only wants it fixed properly. You and I would too.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No one said it was his fault. Where did that come from? :-s ;)

What was said was it isn't Wings problem either as he's the second owner.

It should have been addressed by the original owner at the time it was received if it was indeed received tacked and not sewn as you state.

Was this issue disclosed to you by the seller when you bought it, Josh, or one that has developed while in your possession? Just wanting to be clear on what exactly is going on here.

Regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Michaelson, the issue was not disclosed to me by the original owner. Having said that the original owner may not have noticed it. This person is a COW member and I have to say a pleasure to do business with. I am completely satisfied on that end of things. I just want to say that this is not a HUGE issue to me. I discovered the issue the day after I received the jacket. It is something I know I can fix myself. The only person at fault here is the person who actually made the jacket in the first place. It's as simple as that.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Once again.... :M: :tup:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Thank you Michaelson. Kind emoticons from you are always good to see. Especially the one that resembles you :lol: \:D/
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I had to send my Canon 7D off for repairs the other day. So here are some not so great iPhone 4 pics! \:D/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... 13f900.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... 8b44e9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's a very nice looking jacket, my friend!

I may have missed it, how does it fit you? They're definitely cut trimmer, so I can't help but think one would fit you to a tee!

Regard! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I was really surprised to see how well it fit me. I was the tiniest bit worried it might be to baggy. I am a rather thin fellow as you might recall. The original owner and I exchanged information about the fit of the jacket. When I received it and tried it on for the first time it fit better than I had hoped. Being an off the rack size I am very pleased thus far. I will try to get some photos of me wearing the jacket posted later this evening!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Please do!

Regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

So I've seen a lot of other Legends around the club. There seem to be some differences in pattern between my jacket and others. Mostly what I am seeing are the US made jackets. Michaelson, or anyone else who wants to chime in, can you enlighten me on this matter?
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Well, this isn't the greatest Indy Gear photo ever but it does the job.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... 683774.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Seems like a good fit. What size is the jacket, and how tall are you, Bogie?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The Legend pattern is definitely a snugger/more tailored fit.

I have always worn size 'L' in all other Wings sizing, but when it comes to the Legend, the XL is the fit for me.

That one looks right on the mark for you, Josh...especially the sleeves. That's where folks usually have problems in the fit, but those look right.

Get those pockets fixed and just enjoy the heck out of that jacket. It looks great on you, my friend.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Thank you very much Michaelson. I appreciate the kind words. Out of curiosity, what Legend are you the proud owner of?

Jens, the jacket is a small. I wear a 36R and I am 5' 11".
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I had one of the prototype bison's, but found out quickly that the 'L' was a bit snug on this old body. It's now being throughly enjoyed by a well known member who lives down Mississippi way.

I now have one of the 30th anniversery lambskin's in XL, and couldn't be more pleased with fit and material.

Regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Well, to keep things interesting around here I made a purchase. I've been debating between another legend and a Wested hero for the past few weeks and felt a sudden decision pop into my brain. I ordered a Legend Texas Steerhide US Made just a little while ago.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Hello _. Yes, I couldn't resist the steerhide looking at it on the Wings website and I will have some righteous pics for everyone once it arrives. Sounds like your son is at that age so why not let him strut around thinking he's Harrison Ford in ToD or something right lol. I'm excited to get the jacket and share pics and thoughts!

Cheers!!
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Ahhhh I know exactly what you are talking about good sir. That's the joy of Indy Gear right there. I'm not going to be able to sleep for days until this thing comes in after reading that. Ahh...I think I'll go see what my girlfriend is doing \:D/
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

...just saw this- my import legend has sewing marks along the 'entry' of one of the handwarmer pockets- whoever sewed it sewed the pocket shut, and at some point someone noticed it and re-did it, but the evidence is there...I don't feel like paying for another return to exchange it -again. How hard is it to sew a jacket together...right?
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

The imports are made in china. Which I've learned can either be a good thing or a horrible thing. The imports, from what I can tell, are made cheap and fast. The leathers seem to be of good quality though. Just the stitching seems to be rushed. Results of mass production. Then again my jacket could have been something that slipped through a quality control crack.

This is why I am giving the US made a try. From what I have seen and heard they are at the quality level one would expect from a fine maker of jackets.

From what I can see Kokopelli your import steerhide looks beautiful. It looks as though the pattern and quality are improved.

Let me add that there are stitching marks in the same area on my import as yours. This seems to be a theme of the import jackets. I intend to give a detailed review of my US made steerhide once it arrives.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

My USW import cow Hero, hide-wise, pretty much stinks. I didn't want to admit it, but I wore it once, now it sits in the closet. Good Will gets it next. No more junk for me. Two other USW are pretty nice. A2 & G1.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

61ButteMT wrote:My USW import cow Hero, hide-wise, pretty much stinks. I didn't want to admit it, but I wore it once, now it sits in the closet. Good Will gets it next. No more junk for me. Two other USW are pretty nice. A2 & G1.
What do you think stinks about it? Just curious.

I have one of those jackets, and I actually like it just fine, but it is just cut too big for me. I really like the leather, but the pattern is just too large for my frame. Also, the pockets are a bit too far from the zipper, in my opinion. But, the drape of the leather is really nice.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Hmm, that's funny. I used to have a Hero but sold it because I didn't like the fit too much. But, it's the only jacket I've yet regretted letting go, because I really, really liked the hide itself. It was just really unique and interesting. Although, I suppose I could see how it's not for everyone.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Totally off-topic (and a really, really stupid thing for me to write)... but I'm terribly charmed by _ writing "It's like smelling your wife's perfume behind her ear. Jeez! Listen to me! I think I'll go see how the wife's doing" ...

And then not being heard from again for almost another 34 hours!
(You da MAN, _!)

;)

(SORRY... COULDN'T RESIST! HOPE IT GAVE YOU ALL A SMILE, THOUGH)
:P
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I agree Mitch. :clap:

I've never owned a USW Hero so I can't really comment on it. The only thing I can say is that I never wanted one. Looking at pictures of it I knew the pattern just looked weird.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

The hide(s) are just @#$%. Maybe it's due to the 3XL size. But the other USW are also 3xl. Bad quality, bad matching. Bad stitching.

Patt: never throw it away! Somebody will get it. Free.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:Hmm, that's funny. I used to have a Hero but sold it because I didn't like the fit too much. But, it's the only jacket I've yet regretted letting go, because I really, really liked the hide itself. It was just really unique and interesting. Although, I suppose I could see how it's not for everyone.
I found the Legend of the same skin to be a much better fit. I get a better fit from the Import jackets than the slimmer fit, US made jackets, and I think it is because is just slightly more relaxed. The Hero was a different story.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

If you fellas have pics of your Hero jackets, post em up so we can see what you are talking about.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

I can post pix, but I don't know if it would show well.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Here are a few comparison photos of my Legend and Expedition.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1576.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1578.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1577.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1579.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Bogie- is that an import? or the US made?
that leather looks nothing like my import.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I can tell that this is an import.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

yeah- that's what the leather looked like on my first one, with the jacked-up pockets. I loved that leather! My replacement has a completely different finish to it, feels like, I don't know, velvet.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Yep, imported striated lambskin.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Fresh photos for fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1641.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1642.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1643.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1644.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1645.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1646.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ ... G_1647.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

this jacket is from the first run imports. looks like it..

incorrect collarstand and X box pattern on the straps, less pocket flap shaping..etc.

nice jacket tho! will last you a long time!
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

That leather is just awesome!!! Enjoy!!

Ian
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Thanks for the info Holt. I had a feeling this jacket was part of a first run as it was very similar to the photos on the US Wings website. It also explains the differences in pattern between my jacket and others I have seen of similar make.