Mink oil... neatsfoot oil....Am I wrong?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Mink oil... neatsfoot oil....Am I wrong?

Post by MS Jones »

So I treat just about every leather good that I own with Kiwi Mink Oil. Am I wrong to do this? This is how my grandad kept his leather goods treated. I have some leather goods of his that has to be one hundred plus years old. Opinions? Comments?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Mink oil... Am I wrong?

Post by Michaelson »

Depends on where you live. :-k

If south of the Mason-Dixon line, in my opinion (and a few others around here), yes, you are.

Bugs are attracted to any leather treated with animal by-products and will devour it with enthusiasm and relish (and maybe a side order of fries).

Folks in dryer climes and north of the Mason-Dixon line seem to have less problem with this. Must be the humidity in the South that adds to the problem.

I 'had' leather items MY grandfather treated with mink oil or neatsfoot when living in Ohio and no problems at all, but as soon as I moved to Florida they were bug magnets and quickly damaged.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Im up here in the notheast, so its ok for me. Im also a youngin at 33. Id say when it comes to leather preservation in a humid climate, listen to Michaelson. Stay away from Mink oil, olive oil, etc. Go with Pecards. Cold northern climate? Its fine as long as you don't store your stuff.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Ok, I'm convinced. Especially considering that I live 24 miles from the Gulf. Lots of bugs and humidity here. My whip is a cheap one, but I would like to be able to pass it on to my nephew when I get a new one. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I lived in Tallahassee. That's where I lost my old leather items, so you're in the right area for that kind of results. :-s

Been there, done that, didn't like it either. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Im by no means an expert, but definitely only use Pecards on a whip.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mink oil... Am I wrong?

Post by 61ButteMT »

Order Pecards. Took two days to my house. If you're in doubt on which product to use, email. They may take a few days to reply as its a small shop, but they will. Just got a tub (16oz) of the PLD for my jackets/shoes. Makes good lip balm too :)