Sandpaper?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Sandpaper?

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I popped over to a Michael's craft store this weekend during the hurricane, to get some 400-1000 grit sandpaper. Guess what they don't sell anymore? I know I could use some 320 to distress my jacket but I feel id get better results and be less likely to ruin some threads if I had a higher grit. Any ideas? I've never seen that level in Home Depot, and the nearest hobby store is fifty miles north.
tmurph
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Sandpaper?

Post by tmurph »

Higher grit sand paper can be found at auto paint stores. Also maybe try auto parts stores like advanced auto, auto zone or napa. Ask for the wet sanding sand paper. hope this helps.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Good idea. Ill try that, thanks! Ill have to try the wet kind. So you soak the paper?
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Sweet. I'll give it a shot. Figures that the auto parts stores locally don't have it. I called around. I'll figure out something. Can't wait to try this kind of paper.
tmurph
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tmurph »

Look for a PPG store in your town. Not the Porter/Pittsburg one but the other paint store it will have wet sanding paper.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Another place you might find it (I did) is a mom and pop hardware store. I realize there are not many of these around any more, but they usually carry items you can't seem to find at the bigger, new-wave - pc correct stores. We are fortunite here in Kansas that some of the smaller venders have still survived thus far. W>
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I ended up finding wet sandpaper in 600 grit at auto zone. Now Im having a problem with the acetone not taking the color of the cowhide lol!