Magnoli Boots - Needing some details!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Magnoli Boots - Needing some details!

Post by irishjones »

As I am thinking of getting a really good pair of Indy boots, I am torn between saving for a pair of Aldens or getting a pair of Magnoli boots. I know the reputation of Aldens and need no new information about them, but what I would like a little more information about are the boots that Magnoli offers. I have seen the pics on the site and they look superb.

So I wanted to know...

- Are they made to the same high quality that Aldens are?
- Do they require the same stringent sizing techniques, as per the Aldens?
- How much would shipping cost to Northern Ireland if I were to order a pair?

I was thinking of getting a pair of Todd's boots again, but he's all out of his stock and God knows when he'll get more in. Plus, I've had a pair of his boots for 10 months now, and they're falling apart. Even the leather is coming away from the top of the rubber sole. They're good for a while, but not for the long term. I wasn't even wearing them all the time.

EDIT: Please anyone who reads this and if you know any of the info I'm looking for, please comment!
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Magnoli Boots - Needing some details!

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I'll let others chime in on certain points, but to answer two of your questions:

Have a look at the footwear measurement form located in your account on the site. This explains how to take and submit your measurements accurately.

Shipping costs are already included in the price.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I acquired a pair of Magnoli boots (the rugged version) a good while ago and all I can say is that they have been terrific. Not only did they turn out to be the best fitting boots I have ever owned (not a single a blister - ever) but they've proven to be as tough and durable as I hoped they would be - and I'm a fairly heavy fellow.

The only small issue I ever had was that the lace-eyes were not that well fitted and a few of them came adrift. That said, they were easy to re-fit and in all honesty, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another pair from Mags if I decided to replace these.

I can't tell you how 'accurate' they are but as I mentioned a while back on another thread, I was wearing them when I went into the Aldens store in San Francisco and the first thing the salesperson said was "lovely boots"

Regards
MARK
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

KramStaar wrote:I was wearing them when I went into the Aldens store in San Francisco and the first thing the salesperson said was "lovely boots"
Too funny!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've had a pair for two years and have been very happy with them. I wear them as 'street shoes' so no hiking through rough terrain. I went with Magnoli for two main reasons, I could get the Cordovan color and I got regular eyelets all the way up. I'm not a fan of speed lace hooks. They have held up well and are comfortable to wear. Sizing was very easy, follow the directions on Mag's site and you'll be good to go. A pair of the rugged boots are in my future.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Indy Magnoli wrote:I'll let others chime in on certain points, but to answer two of your questions:

Have a look at the footwear measurement form located in your account on the site. This explains how to take and submit your measurements accurately.

Shipping costs are already included in the price.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Magnoli, I'll get those measurements soon for my feet. I am very pleasantly surprised to see that the shipping price is included in the cost of the boots themselves. You may have yourself a client from Northern Ireland very soon! LOL. Would I be the first one? LOL. :-k
wellofsouls
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wellofsouls »

Coming from someone who has had a few pairs of shoes custom made, let me just say that there are darned few people out there that will do this. Fewer and fewer custom shoe makers every year it seems, and from what I can tell Mags can do literally anything you want. Riding boots, formal dress shoes, the works. Alden is very restricted as to what styles they will make, as are most cobblers, who specialize in one type of footwear generally. If you have lots of hobbies, Magnoli is one-stop shopping. And traditionally constructed boots and shoes can be rebuilt and resoled to look like new. A $500 pair of boots can easily last 25 years - and $20 a year ain't bad for boots!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I have no experience with Magnoli but I agree that if properly measured, a custom pair of boots will be perfect for you. I have some custom Star Wars boots made in Peru and they fit incredible. I know that some people have a problem with the tongues moving in aldens but Magnoli's don't do that.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Let me put it this way... I have Magnoli boots, and I now know; I do not want Aldens, do not need Aldens, and I don't like green eggs and ham. :anxious:

No offense to Aldens, I'm sure they are great, but I would rather have a closet full of Magnolis! I mean, high-quality shoes made specifically for me! No in-between-sizes nightmares, no "not quiet the color I wanted" issues! And, as I hear it, a sight bit lighter on the feet.

Did I mention I liked my Magnoli boots? :CR:
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Great posts - I'm very interested in the Magnoli and the color options are a definate perk, though this in itself creates a new level of complexity! For the Authentic Raiders look I was considering the Saddle color, but to be honest, the Raiders boots are pretty beaten up. Any color advice? They all look good but I don't think shiny orange boots are really the look I'm going for :whip:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

The saddle isn't reall that accurate, except for one shot (that I've found) which happens to be a close-up of the boot. I'd say, go for something a little "browner." Darker for Raiders, lighter for LC. I forget what the ToD boots look like.

Here is a shot of the saddle color, worn with Noel Howard pants and shirt (Raiders colors) for a relative look;

bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Hi Chewbacca Jones,

Can you show a close up of the magnoli boots?
They look awesome! :clap:

George
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Thanks for the posts. I am focused on the Raiders coloring and decided I will order some official Aldens from Adventuebilt and a pair of the darker brown from Magnoli (as Todds are looking for a new manufacturer - sadly).

Option A are as Raiders as they come including color which I have since learned was darker.

I have a pair ordered but will take ages to arrive... so magnoli (please) don't let me down :[
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

bounos wrote:Hi Chewbacca Jones,

George
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Look great, ordered!
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Thanks for the pics Chewbacca,

Those boots are AWESOME!!!
You did say you used the chart on Magnoli's website for custom sizing!
How long did it take to get them?

I am in shock at how good they look. :clap:

In you opinion, would you pick Cordovan with white stitching for Raiders and would you pick Sienna or Saddle as an LC boot?
Magnoli's pictures look a little browner in those colors! It does make it hard to choose.

BTW, did I say that those boots are AWESOME!!!

George
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

bounos wrote:Thanks for the pics Chewbacca,
In you opinion, would you pick Cordovan with white stitching for Raiders and would you pick Sienna or Saddle as an LC boot?
Magnoli's pictures look a little browner in those colors! It does make it hard to choose.
I agree with George/bounos. They do look amazing and I am also interested in the delivery time. I am looking at Cordovan with white stitching and presumably sole sides in matching color not natural? Thanks for posting.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

More boots?

Post by indyexpat »

There is a shortage of boots I've come to realize. The Magnoli are great but pricey and the Aldens, well.. special occasion only. For day to day I was really holding out for some of Todds but they'e seeking a new source - a tragedy. Any other sources I've missed?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Don't forget we also offer this boot in a dark brown oilskin which, in my opinion, is the best of the lot:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Those ARE awesome Indy! My next pair of boots right there.

W
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Don't forget we also offer this boot in a dark brown oilskin which, in my opinion, is the best of the lot

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Very nice. Which color is shown?
wellofsouls
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wellofsouls »

indyexpat wrote:
Indy Magnoli wrote:Don't forget we also offer this boot in a dark brown oilskin which, in my opinion, is the best of the lot

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Very nice. Which color is shown?
Dark brown oilskin?
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I didn't know until now that the Magnoli rugged only came in black and dark brown. This makes choosing easier. Lovely boots but a bit pricey.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

The oilskin is only available in black or brown, but we can make our regular Adventure Boots (in the standard calfskin colors) with lug soles. No problem.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Lovely boots, tempted.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

bounos wrote:Thanks for the pics Chewbacca,

Those boots are AWESOME!!!
You did say you used the chart on Magnoli's website for custom sizing!
How long did it take to get them?

I am in shock at how good they look. :clap:

BTW, did I say that those boots are AWESOME!!!

George
Yes, I went by Magnoli's sizing instructions, including the tracing. I don't recall how long they took to arrive, but Mags can give you a current estimate.

Personally, I don't like cordovan, and doubly so for an Indy boot. I think the dark brown oilskin looks nice, and I recall him having some unlisted options that were nice. They may not be around anymore, though. But for accuracy, I'd go with dark brown, natural sole sides.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:

George
Did you put protective sole rubbers on the leather soles Chewbacca? I'm torn a little between the rugged and the leather, any suggestions?
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

indyexpat wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:

George
Did you put protective sole rubbers on the leather soles Chewbacca? I'm torn a little between the rugged and the leather, any suggestions?
SA? - Leather

Practical? - Rugged

Regards

MARK
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indyexpat wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:

George
I just went with the SA leather soles. I have plenty of "rugged" shoes, and my everyday life does not demand much of my footwear. Thus, a good leather sole is all I needed. But for real "adventures" or work, you may want at least some rubber.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Why not have them in goat? It is the new thing for western boots and we all know that it wears like iron and is more water resistant. Imagine dark brown goatskin boot with a light combat sole... :-k