Crystal Skull gun belt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Crystal Skull gun belt

Post by knibs7 »

This is for the CS gun belt info, moved from the CS holster thread

knibs7 wrote:
IndyRiv wrote: So what's the correct end to the gun belt? :-k
One of two things happened and I've discussed the first one with Wade...

1) The gun belt on display was NOT the one in the movie
2) The gun belt on display was technically production used, but not in the movie, only in promo shots such as this...

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... elttip.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I did some serious lightening of the picture to show the end of the belt)

Kyle

IndyRiv wrote:
knibs7 wrote:Here are some shots of the end of the belt. The picture quality is kinda bad because for some reason my new MacBook Pro takes the screen shot, but the picture is a white and grey checkered pattern, so I had to take these with my phone... And I find it weird that Harrison originally DID have the gun belt the same way as the previous films, but then changed it.

I also included another picture of the holster.

IndyRiv wrote:
Also, going back to the pants fabric - you mentioned that you thought Magnoli's Camel in English wool looked great to you for CS. Could you give me your full reasoning behind your belief on that? Again, just curious to know WHY you think that. :TOH:
I think the English wool is a closer material than cavalry twill because I've seen and touched the costume that was on display with my own hands and it felt and reacted a lot more like my Magnoli pants in English wool. The pants material for CS was definitely NOT cavalry twill.

:TOH:

Kyle
Kyle,

A lot to comment on with your post (GOOD comments of course! :TOH: ).

First, the screen grabs. I was wondering, when you have a lot of free-time, if you could somehow get better resolution pictures of the ones you posted. They're a great help as they are, but they'd be even GREATER if the resolution was better. It's kind of hard to see the exact curve of the gunbelt end with them. The same goes for the holster, which, I have to say, is a GREAT PICTURE as well and is more broadside which really shows the curve, design, and nuances of the holster. And honestly, looking at the flap strap (is there a more "official" term for that thing - "flap strap" just doesn't sound right to me :lol: ) on that picture, it looks more like the one on my original Webley holster. I'm experiencing ](*,) vue again!

As for the trousers, thanks for your input. I've been REALLY trying to watch the flow, drape, and action of the trousers in CS to see if I could pinpoint, based on the fabric reaction, what kind of fabric it is and I'm thinking more on the concensus with you that it's wool. I thought perhaps it might be cotton due to other theories that a lot of the costume had to be changed due to the large amount of water it would be subject to. However, unless Magnoli's cotton reacts much differently than, say my cotton twill dress trousers or vintage cotton OG-105's, cotton is usually more tough and doesn't wave near as easily in the wind as wool does and Indy's pants sure do dance around which lends me to believe they're wool. And given your close-up pictures of the weave of the trousers, it sure looks like the weave of the wool Camel fabric! :) Indeed, definitely NOT Cavalry twill - can't understand why though :-k If they used wool anyway, why not stay consistent with the other films and use the same weave too?

I thought you were also referring to the color as well being pretty good. And while I love the fabric color of the Camel, the ones in the film are definitely pink, and, I feel, a spot on match with the Noel Howard LC trousers. Any thoughts on the color in relation to your viewing of them?

knibs7 wrote:
Oh and here is another shot of the end of the gun belt

Kyle
knibs7 wrote:Here is another shot of the end of the gun belt

Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Crystal Skull gun belt

Post by Wade Egan »

Here's the best screen shot I have showing good detail for the CS gun belt:

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Oh ya I forgot to include this one
knibs7 wrote:I don't know how in the world I missed this, but this has been in my room the entire time I've been looking for good shots of the gun belt ](*,)

Kyle

:TOH: Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

...AND... here's my version of the CS gun belt:

Updated photo in post below.
Last edited by Wade Egan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Your buckle is SPOT ON to the CS buckle :tup:

Can't wait to get mine

Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Yeah, I searched high and low for almost a full year to find that buckle. It was actually a discontinued style and I called and asked the factory to please keep them in production and they surprisingly agreed to continue making them for me if I bought in bulk. It's been two years now and they're still making them for me. :lol:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Well I think I speak for everyone when I say how much I appreciate all the work you put in to getting us the most SA gear possible

:tup: :TOH:

Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

My pleasure. You know it's my obsession, too. I'm like a blood hound when I get on the subject of screen accuracy and I can't stop until I've got the absolute exact thing or as close as possible to the exact thing used. My own personal OCD with a twist! :-s
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

I took notice of the KotCS gun belt too. It appears to be plain cow hide with a neatsfoot oil finish and white metal buckle. I look forward to going to Tandy’s Leather when I get home and buying the supplies to make my own, along with a RotLA gun belt with attached whip holder.

Cheers,
W-W
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Here's the more screen accurate color scheme with the darker keeper and more 'yellow' color leather. Once again this belt is brand new off the bench and hasn't been worked over or anything. It will darken with age and wear in beautifully.

W.E.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

LOVE it! Looks like your best gun belt yet!

Thanks Wade!

Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Thanks dude! :TOH:
bjw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bjw »

knibs7 - Just a bit of a sidetrack here: Where is that big shot of Ford's waist with the gunbelt worn
"traditional" style from? The costume-fitting bit from the documentary on disc 1? I don't recall seeing this. The angle or whatever also makes it look like Ford's got a gut (don't know how long before shooting this was so maybe that was the case . . . but I doubt it).

Also, what is this talk of a screen-worn costume exhibit? Have I missed something? Where? When? Would love to hear more, especially about that trousers material. The deviations from the original costume for this movie is something I'd love to have a sit-down talk with the costume department about.

Thanks for all the stills. Comparatively it seems the CS gear doesn't get much attention around here (with good reason, I might add, but thaaaaaaaat's another story!). :-
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Actually, after Raiders gear the Crystal Skulls gear pieces are my best selling items. TOD being the last place gear. So even though everyone bags on CS they order the gear. :roll:

W.E.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

bjw wrote:knibs7 - Just a bit of a sidetrack here: Where is that big shot of Ford's waist with the gunbelt worn
"traditional" style from? The costume-fitting bit from the documentary on disc 1? I don't recall seeing this. The angle or whatever also makes it look like Ford's got a gut (don't know how long before shooting this was so maybe that was the case . . . but I doubt it).

Also, what is this talk of a screen-worn costume exhibit? Have I missed something? Where? When? Would love to hear more, especially about that trousers material. The deviations from the original costume for this movie is something I'd love to have a sit-down talk with the costume department about.

Thanks for all the stills. Comparatively it seems the CS gear doesn't get much attention around here (with good reason, I might add, but thaaaaaaaat's another story!). :-
It's from the CS disc 1. And the screen worn costume was on display here in Houston about a year and a half ago.

Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

It was also in Hollywood a couple of years ago.
bjw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bjw »

Thanks guys. I'm assuming it was reported on here then? Any threads? If so, whereabouts might I search for them? Don't know how I missed hearing about it.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Got my CS gun belt from Wade today. It seems kinda pointless to state the obvious, but I'll do it anyway... Wade, it's perfect! Truly awesome work, as always. Thanks a bunch, buddy! :tup:

Kyle
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

My pleasure!

Love the photo! lol
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

Does anyone else kinda get creeped out the the amount of crouch shots in this thread?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ronski wrote:Does anyone else kinda get creeped out the the amount of crouch shots in this thread?
Well I haven't seen any pictures of people crouching down... as for CROTCH shots, I never even thought about it until now

Kyle