J-Crew Boots, ordering question(s)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

J-Crew Boots, ordering question(s)

Post by JockThePilot »

Hello all,
I am currently bunked down with the flu, and so I've decided I need to do something to cheer myself up and end my boredom. The result: I am about to order a pair of the J-Crew Deckers boots, but I have a few questions, which I can't seem to find answers to on the J-Crew website.
1) can anyone lend me any advice on the fitting of these boots? do they usually fit big, or small, for their size? or is a nine basically a nine?
2) Under the size selection tab there are regular sizes (i.e.: 7 M) but then there's some other choice (i.e.: 7H-M). Does anyone know what the 7H-M size would stand for? (Here is the link if you'd like to see for yourself: http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jh ... stid=21154 )
I guess that's it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
JockThePilot
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I belive the H stands for half. I might have to get me a pair of these soon. Good boots are getting hard to find.

Regards, Daryl.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

The H does stand for half. And I found that they ran true to size.
JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

thanks

Post by JockThePilot »

HALF!! of course. I was thinking it was some width measurement, but couldn't for the life of me think of what "H" might stand for. Thanks to both of you for your quick help.
so 7H-M would be bigger than just a straight 7?

thanks again,
JockThePilot
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

You are correct. A 7H-M is one half size bigger than a 7-M. I ordered my regular size and had no problem with the fit. Now, the mystery is what does the M mean. I originally thought it meant Mens and they would have an L for Ladies shoes. But, their ladies shoes have an M in the size, also. I am now of the opinion that the M stands for Medium as in the width of the shoe. Since all the shoes I saw had an M in the size, apparently all their shoes are medium width. If that's the case, why bother to list the width. I checked in their sizing charts and could not find a reference to any information about sizes of shoes.

A few days after I received my shoes, I received a call from Jcrew conducting a survey about their website and wanting to know how they could improve the website. I did not think to point out that they have no information about the sizing of their shoes and that it causes confusion for people wishing to place an order. If you order the shoes and then you also receive a call from them conducting this survey, you may want to point this out to them.

I know that the note on the website stating that the decker boots are a clearance item and cannot be returned, is cause for concern when ordering. I had read other posts at COW in which people said they ordered their normal size and got a good fit. I found this to be true. I also wish that I had thought to tell them when they called conducting the survey, that I did not feel that they should refuse to accept a return for an item simply because it is on clearance, when their customers are ordering the item sight unseen form a website. They called early in the morning, well it was early for me anyway, and I unfortunately was unable to give them the lucid, well thought out response that I would have liked. At least that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Oh, by the way, how's your pet snake, reggie?
JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JockThePilot »

Reggie is fine, thanks for asking. :)

I think that i will let J-Crew know all those things if they do call me. They should at least do a size exchange (if the size is still available) on clearance items. But oh well.
I ordered my normal size. Now just to wait out the 12-17 day travel time for orders to ship to Canada. Yikes.

JockThePilot
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

The M in 7-H-M stands for "Men's size." Women's sizes are about two whole sizes smaller than men's, I believe.

Luke
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Canada, eh. I went there on a few occasions with the Washington Capitals hockey team. Their travel accomodations are first rate, chartered flights, the best hotels. Once at Quebec, before they moved south, it was like -55 degrees in Quebec City. I had never experienced anything like that before. I would never have been able to layer enough clothes under my wested for those conditions. I didn't even enjoy breathing air that was that cold. I also was fortunate enough to get to go to the Montreal Forum before it was replaced. And of course I made it to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. I really enjoyed my trips up there. What part of Canada are you from?
JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JockThePilot »

I live on the west coast, so I am also very unfamiliar with the extreme cold that my countrymen to the east are forced to endure. Today the weather in B.C. is bright and sunny.

JockThePilot
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

The M in 7-H-M stands for "Men's size." Women's sizes are about two whole sizes smaller than men's, I believe.

Skywlkrinc,

I also thought that the M stood for Men's size. If this were the case, I figured that Ladies shoes would have an L for Ladies or a W for Women's. To verify this, I looked at some women's shoes on the website. I was surprised to find that the women's shoes also had an M in their size. Now, I am unsure what the M stands for.

I would hate to believe that Jcrew was thinking that with the way some "men" dress today, that there were "men" out there that needed to know which size bright red pumps to order.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

The "M" stands for "Medium Width". I asked this when I ordered my last year. This is what i was told. I have also seen this sizing system on other brands of shoes as well.