US Wings vs Wested for a tall guy on a budget

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Hey everyone. Long time listener, first time caller.

Been doing some research on jackets. I know this is an old question and I have scoured the boards for answers and still can't put together the info I need. So, at the risk of being redundant...

I am 6'3 and 210 lbs and want to grab an indy jacket, but I am on a budget. Cannot afford a Nowak (even if I could order one), or G&B. I know Todd's is the cheapest solution, but it just doesn't look right to me from pics I have seen. I bought two used Wested's (a very large 42 and a 46) and both were nice, but they did not fit quite right. Funny how they both seemed like they were almost the exact same size actually.

The 46 fits nicely for the most part, and may end up keeping it, but it looks pretty fitted, especially the sleeves. I need something with longer sleeves for it to look right. I normally wear a 44L to 46L depending on the cut and I measured a leather jacket I own (XL) that fits beautifully with the sleeves broken in and they are about 28" long (yeah, I am a monkey).

I like the new Hero jacket from Wested, but that doesn't come in my size (read why and it makes sense I guess).

So here's the question - at my wallet's $300 sweet spot which would you recommend for SA, the US Wings Legend in steerhide (Looking at US made ones which seem to have better QC) or the custom Wested in AB Goat? I know neither is perfect.

The Wested I was going to order would have the gussets, brass buckle with X-stitch, and nickel zipper. Seemed about the closest to a hero I could do in my size. The Legend has fewer options, no X or K sticking, no nickel, but some people swear by them. So now I am confused.

Thx for the help.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Well, I have a USW Hero in cow I wore once. Maybe twice.
It's a 3XL. I have monkey arms too.
You interested? Pay for shipping and you can try it on. If you don't like, send if back.
$150. As _ says...pay it forward. Paid $300+ but if you can use it...let me know.
I'm 6-4", 225.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: US Wings vs Wested for a tall guy on a budget

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

For a tall guy, I say go with US Wings. Good quality jackets, cut comfortably, and they tend to have better length for tall folks.
bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Thanks ButteMT, truly appreciate the offer. The USW hero, while a beautiful jacket, is not accurate enough to satisfy my craving and I would only end up buying another jacket down the line I am afraid.

Thx Chewy, appreciate the advice.

Any word on sleeve taper on either of these jackets? As I recall Wested has none on the customs, not sure about USW.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The Wings 'Legend' series is more tapered.

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Yep, plus Wings jackets are built like tanks. They can take almost anything... even tear through a car seat, or so I've heard. ;) :lol:
bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Yep, plus Wings jackets are built like tanks. They can take almost anything... even tear through a car seat, or so I've heard. ;) :lol:
Heard that too! :lol:

Wish I has the money I would buy both, compare and then sell one. Of course that would then put me in range of buying other jackets... :roll:
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

I got my Wested hero tapered exactly how I wanted it. 11 inch circumference and 27 1/2 long sleeve. I've got monkey arms too and the arms hang a shade longer than you'd expect with the Hero pattern. Stick what you want in the request box as long as it's nothing too ridiculous they usually are very accomodating.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I'm the same size as you- 6'3, 210 pounds. I wear a 36/37 sleeve in a dress shirt. Wings Large Longs fit me perfectly.
I got a Legend steerhide in last week, 3 days after ordering it, and the fit and feel was spot on Raiders, to me. They have great customer service- if you're not happy with it, send it back for a refund.
I've also had a Wested that I custom ordered. (I made the mistake, in my opinion, of getting it in the LC pattern, which I didn't know until later that the arms on this cut are more 'forward'- it was very tight through the chest.) It is a very noce jacket, too, but more $$$. The nice thing with the Wested is you can order 45" arms if you want. BUT- if you're not happy, you're going to spend $35 bucks minimum to send it back. I also think there my be too many options with the Wested- what color, what leather, what details, etc...more chances that you're gonna screw it up!
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Yes, get what you want, not just a good deal! Good luck, the perfect jacket though I'm afraid doesn't exist - it's just temporary :)
bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Kokopelli wrote:I'm the same size as you- 6'3, 210 pounds. I wear a 36/37 sleeve in a dress shirt. Wings Large Longs fit me perfectly.
I got a Legend steerhide in last week, 3 days after ordering it, and the fit and feel was spot on Raiders, to me. They have great customer service- if you're not happy with it, send it back for a refund.
I've also had a Wested that I custom ordered. (I made the mistake, in my opinion, of getting it in the LC pattern, which I didn't know until later that the arms on this cut are more 'forward'- it was very tight through the chest.) It is a very noce jacket, too, but more $$$. The nice thing with the Wested is you can order 45" arms if you want. BUT- if you're not happy, you're going to spend $35 bucks minimum to send it back. I also think there my be too many options with the Wested- what color, what leather, what details, etc...more chances that you're gonna screw it up!

Oh, that's really great to hear!! :D Any chance you would have a pic of you with it on?

Yeah, I heard that doing a return of a Wested was pretty tough (especially if it's a custom) and didn't really want to do that. If it was easier I would just buy both and keep the one that fits best. $35 would be well worth it to make sure it works, especially after what I have spent so far already (as my wife keeps reminding me).
61ButteMT wrote:Yes, get what you want, not just a good deal! Good luck, the perfect jacket though I'm afraid doesn't exist - it's just temporary :)
Yep, did two good deals already :lol: Actually, the were very nice jackets, just not 'right'. Although having already done a Darth Vader and two Boba Fett's I know this isn't a sprint, but a marathon to find what really looks right.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

...I exchanged mine due to the 'tall pockets' problem- there's a thread on that. No big deal to 'normal' people who buy it. Just make sure to add a note to choose one with the 'lower' pockets if/when you order. My replacement should be here Wednesday and I'll get pics then.

here's that thread...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52671
bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Kokopelli wrote:...I exchanged mine due to the 'tall pockets' problem- there's a thread on that. No big deal to 'normal' people who buy it. Just make sure to add a note to choose one with the 'lower' pockets if/when you order. My replacement should be here Wednesday and I'll get pics then.

here's that thread...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52671
Thx! I realize that everyone here is pretty anal about this - which is why I joined :D

Trust me when I was doing SW it was every scratch, every dent, every speck of dust. So this is all good stuff!
bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Update...

I could not resist getting the new Wested Hero jacket. Gemma told me they could do it in my size in goat, so I decided I just had to. It had all the right stitching, buckles, zipper and everything else I was looking for. I love the look of the US Wings jackets and was VERY close to pulling the trigger when I started seeing pics show up of the new Wested.

Anyway, the jacket just arrived today, and I love it! (Pics coming soon). Skin on jacket matches nicely.

I had tried a 44 and 46 already. The 46 fit a little too well (looked very fitted), so on this I went for a 48 with longer sleeves in a darker brown color. I'll take a shower with it on this weekend and see if I can get it to shrink up a bit.

Thanks again everyone.