New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Post by Michaelson »

The U. S. made versions with the sharp corners must have been cast, as they were a BUGGER to cut off and replace. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah....I had to use a pair of heavy duty tin snips to get mine off...
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Indydawg wrote:I can't really tell too well, given the small size of the photo, but the new slider looks to be a good 2mm more narrow than the old one.
You know, you should be able to click on that thumbnail and see it full size.

Weston
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Michaelson wrote:The U. S. made versions with the sharp corners must have been cast, as they were a BUGGER to cut off and replace. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Must not be made out of the same mystery alloy (melted down door knobs) that most of the sliders I've seen have been made out of. I cut the ones off of my Todd's jacket the other day with a pair of wire cutters when I could have gotten by with my bare hands.

I guess the brass colored ones Schott uses are actually made out of brass.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I can't really tell too well, given the small size of the photo, but the new slider looks to be a good 2mm more narrow than the old one.

You know, you should be able to click on that thumbnail and see it full size.

Weston

Ya know...I didn't even think to try that....in looking at the closeup pic, the smaller slider looks like it could almost fit inside the bigger one!

Thanks, Travis!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

kwad wrote:
Michaelson wrote:The U. S. made versions with the sharp corners must have been cast, as they were a BUGGER to cut off and replace. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Must not be made out of the same mystery alloy (melted down door knobs) that most of the sliders I've seen have been made out of. I cut the ones off of my Todd's jacket the other day with a pair of wire cutters when I could have gotten by with my bare hands.

I guess the brass colored ones Schott uses are actually made out of brass.
I'm not sure, but some folks had to use a hack saw, and I used a pair of vice grips and a second pair of heavy pliers to break the center out to remove it from the loop of the strap. It was a job.

The buckles are monsters in terms of strength, and it was a shame those corners were so darn sharp. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm with you there, M. I hated to cut mine off. I liked how they looked and how the strap was configured toward the back of the jacket. Based on your and Dawg's experiences with your car seats I ditched them.

I got three rings to replace the buckles and try to get the same effect of having the strap go to the back, but without much success. The three rings need to stay very tight together so I'll have to put a couple of stitches in the strap to hold them in place. Or I may just go with two rings and the forward strap configuration.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Is it possible to find and attach our own slider buckle (similar to what Wings and Todd's uses)? I haven't found them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd say anything can be 'found', but I don't see it being possible without having to physically opening the loop on the strap, installing the buckle/slider, then sewing it closed again. That's why we had to cut them off. They don't open like the rectangular buckles or D-rings we're used to. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's my dilemma. I would replace the buckles, but that would require taking the jacket apart and resewing and I don't want to get into that.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just my imput, but when I cut mine off the US SL, cause I too wanted to use three buckles. No go.
So back on went the sliders from Wings, but I sprayed them flat black, and rounded the corners just a tad. And when I cut them I cut just the ceneter and twisted the bar, off they came and I just reversied the process when I put them back on.

Croft :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent information. There is a way to take them off and reverse the process then! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

Michaelson wrote:My seats are cloth. Punched right through it. :-s

Regards! Michaelson
Och!

I suddenly feel the need to check the seat in my car for holes. Hopefully it's not a problem that is universal... I cerainly never noticed the buckles catching on anything. Though I did notice they seem to have a sharpness to them. I wonder if the edges and corners would benefit from filing and sanding? I'm certainly unlikely to switch to hardware as it seems like a pain and I like what came with the jackets. I'm not a huge fan of D-rings.

I suspect punctures are just an inherent risk to having a rigid square buckle but if nothing else I know to be careful. Small price to pay for a cool looking jacket.

I guess Indy probably never had bucket leather seats. Despite being related to flight jackets the whole action pleat concept just doesn't jibe with use in a cockpit. Of course that's one of the reasons I prefer my G-1 when in more confined spaces like my convertable... My raiders jackets are much more at home in my truck. See justification for at least two leather jackets \:D/

Now if I can just find justification for the other half dozen or so :rolling:
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Hi all,
After receiving my Collectors Edition Signature cowhide in medium I am ready to pull the trigger on this one too. I've read that the Legend pattern is slightly shorted in body but slightly longer in sleeve - is this correct ?

Also how does the COW discount work ?

Thanks
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just got the word these are supposed to be 'in hand' by the end of this month.

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

To answer the PM's I've received in the past couple days, no, I haven't heard anything since the 12 of last month, but have dropped Wings an email to see if there is an update on this jacket.

I'll let you know if/when I hear anything.

Regards !Michaelson

UPDATE: They're not in hand yet, but are expected anytime now.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Great news. After how impressed I was with my Collectors Adventurer, I'm really looking forward to this one. Then I'll have an Indy jacket for summer and one for winter. Not sure if I'll include my Todd's Bantu in that !
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

To answer the PM's I've received in the past couple days, no, I haven't heard anything since the 12 of last month, but have dropped Wings an email to see if there is an update on this jacket.

I'll let you know if/when I hear anything.

Regards !Michaelson

UPDATE: They're not in hand yet, but are expected anytime now.

Good news...I was wondering about this, myself..
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

I received an email yesterday from UPS, a package is being sent from US Wings. Arrives 8/18.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Me too, happy days. Will be about 2 weeks before I get it with UK customs. But will post photos when I get it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I doubt they're the 30th anniverary jackets! As of Monday he didn't have them in hand yet, unless they came in yesterday. :-k

I'll ping him to see if there's an update.

Regards! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Well that was 2 days ago and I dOnt have anything else on order with them!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Confirmed. They came in yesterday, according to David and Myke.

Regards! Michaelson
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Got the jacket tonight. Unfortunately it isn't a good fit. It seems a bit smaller than normal US wings Indy styles. It's more snug, and shorter than what I need. Going to send it back. Nice jacket, just not the right fit.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Oh s**t this does not sound good. Why they cant put a simple sizing chart on their website for their styles is beyond me. It amazes how lazy some sites are.

The guy on the end of the phone at USW (Mike?) told me it should be about 1" shorter and the arms a bit trimmer (when comparer to their CE Adventurer). Which, if true, sounds like the perfect jacket for me, so I'm still hopefully.

Was this not the case with yours, Flyderf ?
Last edited by CRB on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

See post #21.
It looked different to me on day one.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Not sure what you mean. It's hard to find post 21 - is that the one talking about side buckles or the shorter fit ?
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Shorter fit. The pics of Sargent look like a much shorter jacket. USW site.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It does say right in the product description on the Wings page of the 30th anniversary jacket:
And like the original movie jacket, it features a shorter overall length and a trimmer, more tailored fit in the body & sleeves.
I have found the Legends to definitely be a trimmer fit than the standard signature series, and that has been discussed at length in just about all the Legend jacket discussions to date. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Yep, it has been discussed. Honesty, I'm not shocked, I had an inkling it be short and more snug. Other than drive to Hudson........there's only one other way to try one on. The leather is beautiful. Soft, lightweight, with enough grain to give it character. The slight variations in color also give it character.

I have bought enough jackets to know, if you don't love it from moment one, it won't get worn.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

So how much longer than a CE is the 30th edition ?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

It isn't longer...it's shorter...by exactly how much, I can't say

See my review of the 30th Ann. Legend..
bubba fett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bubba fett »

Ahhh! Why do I have to have long arms?! :cry: This jacket looks awesome. Great price for COW members too. ](*,)
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Received mine today. In a nutshell, I'm happy with it. The leather is lovely, very soft and comfortable but in a few places the colour of the two pieces don't match that well. I'm hoping that will blend in time.

I have a Medium in both the VIP Adventurer and now this the 30th Legend. They are very, very different fits. The legend is what they say it is, a slimmer, more fitted fit, but I didn't think it would be as much as this. Theres a good 1.5" taken off the back length and the chest fills slimmer too. The arms are more tapered (which is a very welcome feature). There's no poppers on the front like the Adventurer (keeping with the Raiders look) but still a small gap where the back panel meets at the shoulder. I don't mind this whatsoever, but I know some of you do so thought I'd inform you. I will need to let the sleeves out as much as they could go (probably get an inch out of them). I will also probably want to replace the side buckles at some point, but I can double the strap back at the moment so it's no biggy. It would be very easy for USW to have sets of measurements for their Adventurer, Legend and Hero Indy jackets on their site, I'm really at a loss as to why they don't. I almost feel like I could have gone a size up on this, but given their no-refund policy I'll have to keep this one. Bizarrely the USW labels are totally different, I expect that is because the Adventurer is US made and the 30th Legend an import.

The jacket arrived pretty crumpled up (it takes 10 days to get to me from Ohio with our beloved UK customs getting in the way) so quickly wet the collar and started to give it the proper shape. As this is a soft lamb, it took quickly.. Lots of gifts with it too - a voucher which is great, and a nice USW t-shirt .. in XL ! Seriously, whats the point of me getting an XL t-shirt when I ordered a Medium jacket? Anyway, thanks for it anyway, I will wear it when painting the house. As for the signed photo of Sgt Hack, you can have that back ! (you actually sent me two of this!).

I would personally rate this higher than my experience with Westeds, they're about the same budget-wise but this has a better fit and construction.

Pictures will follow, maybe weekend when my 6-week old gives me a few moments to myself.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Mine arrived today and I have to say I really like the leather. It is cut a bit more snug but that's good since the last one I had was a bit to wide in the mid-section. I will have to say that the length of the front and back is considerably shorter that the USW Legend (non 30th), by about an inch and a quarter.

Either way it's a gorgeous jacket I'll just have to start wearing my pants a little higher. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

As I've said before, folks forget there's a difference between a coat and a jacket, and that's length.

These are true jackets. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

So do you mean to say the Adventurer is a coat and the Legend a jacket ?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

In this comparison, I do, yes.

The Adventurer series is more of a car-coat length, or at least is comparible in length to actual car coats I own and use.

That said, car coats and 'long jacket' lengths (talls) seemed to have become one and the same, but in the past (and still so in high end men's stores) they were completely separate.

You had jackets, coats (car coats), and long coats (like top coats or trench jacket length).

Car coats came down to about the middle or just below the back pocket.

Jacket length was considered belt height to just above middle of back pocket.

That's how they used to be sold in men's stores, and were separated by those sizing definitions.

The 30th is an actual 'jacket' by the original definition in men's haberdashery.

The Adventurer/signatures series would have been considered car coats, and designated as a coat due to their length.

All that said, you might find this link amusing. The debate has raged on regarding this definition for years. Here's a site that bats the definition back and forth with vengence!

http://ask.metafilter.com/139865/jacket ... -thickness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

My son and I watched John Carpenter's The Thing last night and I noticed just how high Kurt Russel's A2 jackets actually sit on his waist. I figured this jacket was cut probably better than any other one I had owned as far as being screen accurate. My Sideshow 1/4 premium format Indy also had a rather high cut jacket. I know it's a doll/statue... whatever, still it showed the relative proportion better than a screen grab.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just as an aside, one of the posts from a Canadian in the link I supplied above is how I've always understood it myself in terms of 'length' in a quick glance:
In Toronto and Montreal, where we do winter with a vengeance:
- A jacket may be of any weight, but stops anywhere between waist and upper hip.
- A coat may be of any weight, but stops anywhere between butt to ankle.
- A parka is heavyweight and stops anywhere between thigh and knee.
Using the above as another loose reference, the Adventurer ends up about midway or lower on the butt, and would therefore be considered a coat by definition.

The 30th Legend series, a jacket.

All that rambling aside, there are no hard/fast rules, so if you want to call them all jackets, go for it....but just be aware, in the industry, there actually is a difference when it comes to definition, but even they don't always agree. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I recieved my jacket gift from Sarge today. Thank you Sarge! :TOH:

what can I say? well, it is the best jacket I have seen from us wings. the details are very SA and the pocket flaps are the best I have seen since the imam jacket. unlike the schott made jacket with the thick piping on the flaps, this one is thinner and like it should be! the schott and the import are two very different jackets. I just compared them and it is easy to see what is what. the import screams more authentic raiders with the shorter style and flapping around like a cape while the schott is a raiders style jacket on steroids! anyway, the fit is really good as well. I love it. Yes, it is shorter and for me, it is a good thing. I allways order my jackets short. the real one was short....

the skin is very close to the HERO antique lambskin but it feels softer and alittle thicker in some places. did I mention soft? it is!

the construction is top notch as well! not one thread loose. straight and deep stitching! :D

and now they offer this in goatskin. well, IMO that has to be the best bang for the buck! get one while you can, I would if I had the money right now. so get yours! I'm sure you will love it! :D

pictures asap. much to do at filmschool these days...
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah Eric, it's the softest leather I've ever felt on a jacket. :tup: I'm doing the obligatory 98 degree outside and wearing a jacket inside to break it in... ](*,)

What's wrong with us!?!?!? :lol:
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Yeah Eric, it's the softest leather I've ever felt on a jacket. :tup: I'm doing the obligatory 98 degree outside and wearing a jacket inside to break it in... ](*,)

What's wrong with us!?!?!? :lol:
If it makes you feel any less dorky, I'm wearing a new Aero HG5 in heavy FQHH inside. Just got it today, and it's 98° out!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol:

Yeah, it's par for the course of being a Gearhead!!!! It is nice to know I'm not the only one doing it tonight though. I watched the weather today and we're getting a cold front Roll in Sunday, so Monday the high's 69 degrees.... [-o<

I am so ready for it too :TOH:
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Some photos as promised ...

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

CRB,

What is your overall impression of the jacket? Tough leather, very thin?
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Out the box it was all screwed up, collar shooting off sideways and I thought it was too short. After a day or so it's straightened and sorted itself out, and I'm very happy with it. The leather is light, same weight and thickness as Wested lamb, but it has a nicer more characterful grain and oddly I now really like the mis-matching colours, which I was a bit annoyed at at first. I wouldn't say the jacket was tough, no, it would tear fairly easily if it snagged a nail for example - but it's lamb and that's what you expect for lamb. It's a thin leather but not really thin, I've got a Zegna jacket that's notably thinner (but in cow). This will easily become one of my favourite jackets (at least for non-winter). I put it in to have the sleeves lengthened yesterday so eagerly awaiting it's return.

In short, I really like it and would definitely recommend it - if you can work out your size that is !
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

If you are trying to compare it to the earlier New Zealand lamb...don't. The leathers are very different in thickness and grain....

This is a much more substantial leather than most Lambskin I've seen.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

My 30th Anniversary jacket was waiting for me on my desk tonight when I got in from work and I have to admit that I didn't treat the packaging with much respect in my haste to get my hands on it.

I'm not qualified to comment on the jacket's SA attributes (or lack thereof) but I do know that I've never seen or felt such magnificent leather before. As others have said, its astonishingly light and as soft as butter.

I was very worried about the sizing after reading some of the posts but I needn't have been concerned. While it IS shorter by a good margin than my Cowhide, the sleeves are as long and the shoulders are only the slightest bit narrower than my older jacket. I'm not a huge fan of the sliders but the stitching is meticulous and the lining is perfectly fitted. The waist is still more generous than I was expecting but its certainly not as loose as my Cowhide.

I'll take photographs when I've worn it in a little because as others have said, out of the box, the collar is a mess and the skin is crumpled and it certainly doesn't hang particularly well at the moment. The last thing I'll say is that I suspect that I'll wear this one carefully because it gives me the impression that although its amazing quality, if I subjected it to even a 10th of the abuse my Cowhide has endured, this pedigreed filly will I'm sure, be singularly unimpressed..

Cheers to Sarge for this privilege..

Kind regards

MARK