My variation on Zorro style

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My variation on Zorro style

Post by tomek9210 »

Hi guys, I want to show you my newest whip. It's based on Zorro style. It has similiar pattern on the handle, copper ring with two ringknots and additional ringknot few inches past. It has 12" handle, perfect for target work and routines. The colors used to plait this whip are dark brown and chocolate brown.

I have experimented a bit with the fall thing. This one has my newest design, the fall looks like a typical nylon fall, but it's heavier, so it may be cut longer, ust like the leather one. The secret is as follows: take one piece of over 4ft long paracord, take another 2ft long piece and put it into the longer one, so one half is hollow and the other one has the 2ft piece and then put the filled half through the hollow one. It can be a bit tricky, but you should be able to do it. This way you get a bit thicker and 50% heavier fall than usual. Believe me, this is it, the whip cracks like a drem.

It's for sale, so if anyone want to add it to their collection, drop me a message.

Hope you like it!
riku1914
Vendor

Re: My variation on Zorro style

Post by riku1914 »

REALLY nice, you did an awesome job on that. I have a question for you I've always wondered, I've seen some people plait nylon

tight, then others just kind of pull it very loosely, then place it, what do you think? tight or not? If anything, I would probably do

very tight on the transition, then loosely everywhere else, but I thought I should ask a good nylon whipmaker first :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I always try to plait tightly, the transition is of course reinforced with sinew and tape bolster (no wraps, but bolster-shape piece of tape with another binding).
Thanks Riku, I'm waiting for your next bullwhip ;)
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

tomek9210 wrote:I always try to plait tightly, the transition is of course reinforced with sinew and tape bolster (no wraps, but bolster-shape piece of tape with another binding).
Thanks Riku, I'm waiting for your next bullwhip ;)
Last night I officially bought the DW strander, I had ordered it the night before, Paul responded and everything got taken care of

last night.

Reason I asked about the plaiting nylon, I made a nylon stockwhip once, and I plaited like I would roo, VERY tight, I was VERY stiff,

I figured it would break in loose, it never did.... I guess on a bullwhip you would want tight, and on a stockwhip, a lot less tight :lol:

BTW, I recently learned that sinew really doesn't add to the transition, unless you're trying to make it like a jacka style, I was

talking to Paul Nolan, he mentioned how he does binding, he does 2 bindings, one on each bolster, and it's just a little bit of

sinew doing crisscross. I asked him why, he said that it doesn't even need that, he just does it out of habit, and he knows many

whip makers who don't do ANY binding at all and their transitions hold up just fine. He says you just plait extra tight in the

transition area. Interesting....
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I don't think about how I should plait the particular whip, either stockwhip or bullwhip, I plait and it is just fine. On stockwhips I make binding only for about 3-4 inches of beginning of the thong.
Suitable plaiting is more important - I mean strand drops, plaiting on proper amount of strands of belly ( usually I make 16 plait on 12 plait, 14 on 10 and so on, but I drop them like this: from 16 to 14 on 12, so the 14 plait start on 12 plait and so on, I hope this makes sense ;) )
When I want to make really stiff transition, in spirit of Jacka whips, then I use duct tape bolsters, which stiffens the transition like stick.
Leather makers can also use rawhide, both roo and cow, to stiffen it up. Kiscien does it, and it works perfectly.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Love the design! How about some video of the whip in action?

Good luck with your sale!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

WhipDude wrote:Love the design! How about some video of the whip in action?

Good luck with your sale!
If he went out and used it it wouldn't be new, its selling as a new whip. :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Yep, that's right Riku, but then I inform customers, that the whip was used to make a video. I don't crack my whips for sale for 3 hours, just a couple of cracks to make sure they crack properly. Many whipmakers do that.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

tomek9210 wrote:Yep, that's right Riku, but then I inform customers, that the whip was used to make a video. I don't crack my whips for sale for 3 hours, just a couple of cracks to make sure they crack properly. Many whipmakers do that.
I agree with that, and understand.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Excelent work Tomek!
Love the copper accent ring. :tup:
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

riku1914 wrote:
tomek9210 wrote:Yep, that's right Riku, but then I inform customers, that the whip was used to make a video. I don't crack my whips for sale for 3 hours, just a couple of cracks to make sure they crack properly. Many whipmakers do that.

So you feel the need to say otherwise and then turn around and agree with him? I've been into this hobby since 2003. You've been here since 2011. It's not like I'm uninformed. As Tomek so kindly pointed out, a lot of whip makers make a video. Ever heard of no guts, no glory? His whip may look good but it may perform like garbage (even though I'm sure it doesn't.) Making a video can only demonstrate his ability to make a decent whip and help the sell.... :roll:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

WhipDude wrote:
riku1914 wrote:

So you feel the need to say otherwise and then turn around and agree with him? I've been into this hobby since 2003. You've been here since 2011. It's not like I'm uninformed. As Tomek so kindly pointed out, a lot of whip makers make a video. Ever heard of no guts, no glory? His whip may look good but it may perform like garbage (even though I'm sure it doesn't.) Making a video can only demonstrate his ability to make a decent whip and help the sell.... :roll:
lol, I was agreeing with the thing about "Testing it out" . I however do not agree with using it for more than 5-10 cracks. This is

all just opinion, you don't need to jump on me just cuz opinions clash, it's not the first time this happened.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

There isn't any opinion to be had to begin with. I never implied that he create a 3 hour video of him putting it through the rigors. I bet you that a lot of whip makers test out most whips they make before shipping them off. I know Strain did the various times I sent my whips in for repair. A whip maker wants to be confident that their whips work well. Louie Foxx has numerous videos of him cracking whips he made to sell.
So lets remove this from Tomek's thread and take it in private. I'd be glad to have a civilized discussion about this. :)
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Finally I managed to do a video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q4zHysX9V4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Looks really good :D