Raiders gun question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Raiders gun question

Post by knibs7 »

Ok so before anyone all but KILLS me, I did use the search button and couldn't find anything.

So here's the question: What happened to Indy's gun during the truck chase?

Kyle
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Raiders gun question

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

My guess is, he just didn't have time to pull it, or thought it would be too dangerous to try shooting while driving.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I mean because when he's on the front of the truck, it doesn't even look like it is in the holster! :-k

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/321.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

_ wrote:He's bummed because the gendarmes took away his guns... ;)

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha. Actually the last time we see him with his gun is when he rescues Marion from the cockpit.

Kyle
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

His revolver is last seen on the flying wing; the Hi-Power is seen on the Bantu Wind.

My guess to there possibly being no holstered revolver in the picture you referenced?

Safety. No need to have a lump to fall on, metal or resin, if you don't need to.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Mountaineer wrote: My guess to there possibly being no holstered revolver in the picture you referenced?

Safety. No need to have a lump to fall on, metal or resin, if you don't need to.
Ya, I figured. But as _ hinted at, you'd think they would put a rubber stunt gun in there or something, especially since you get a pretty good view of the holster... would be different if it was a scene where the holster wasn't very visible.

Kyle
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

knibs7 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: My guess to there possibly being no holstered revolver in the picture you referenced?

Ya, I figured. But as _ hinted at, you'd think they would put a rubber stunt gun in there or something, especially since you get a pretty good view of the holster... would be different if it was a scene where the holster wasn't very visible.

Kyle
I'll go with 1) safety and 2) "It'll be a quick shot, no one will notice, and if they do, it will take them 30 years."

;)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I'm pretty sure that when they filmed it the last thing they were concerned with was the gun, plastic or not. ;) :lol:

Having a moving vehicle with someone moving around it pobably had enough logistical problems to deal with anyways. And their intent was to make it cheap and in the vein of a serial. So S.S. probably just said "forget about it, its moving so quick no one will notice"!!! :lol:

...now we have the internet :anxious:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

_ wrote: They went to great pains to try to get that very gun back for CS.
Not to be overly harsh, but then they dropped the ball on that one.

I've always thought the S&W a better revolver, but that's another gripe for another thread.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So, you were the one bidding against Lee Keppler, eh? :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I (a complete industry outsider looking in) if I were trying to get the "look" of the original, wouldn't even get hung up on getting the original revolver.

I mean, to make a "Raiders"-ish S&W 1917, if you were to purchase a base pistol from a dealer and then have the barrel work completed to "look" the part; would cost somewhere in the range of $700 - $1,200+. Those costs depending on if the base gun was a Brazilian export to one of the current production pistols.

I know California can be a little different with their gun laws and I have no idea how the places that rent/loan guns for movie productions work, but seriously, that seems like throwing away money for something that could be done for much less. Especially if it is just the "look" of a certain firearm you are looking to achieve.

Now, if you must have THAT pistol, then, I get it; price goes out the window.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's exactly what he told me, but had no clue who. He had the right suspect in mind, though. He figured LFL was in the hunt....;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I know. I heard all that too. Like I said, I just wasn't aware YOU were in the hunt at the time. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

It went over 50K?!?!? :shock:

Just think how many they could have made for that... ](*,)

And yes, I get the idea, they wanted it back but still. I can't reason with that.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That, too, as said at the time..... :lol:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wish I had that kind of money to play with. I'm working for the wrong company...er government... :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, it would have probably caused more heart attackes than you could imagine!!!! :Plymouth:

:rolling:

Regards! Michaelson
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I'm coming at this from a position of complete ignorance, but what I'm getting is the GL wanted this particular piece (for whatever reason). Why not just write a blank check? General principle?
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

You replied while I was revising. :) But the essence of the question remains and was answered. Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:Yeah... Probably right. I've extended an open offer to buy it, but NOT at NEAR what they paid. I've had the priviledge of holding it. You know how a Wested just LOOKS like the jacket? Sometimes? Well, that gun feels like the gun. I've held a few impressive weapons. I've held Arnold's sword from Conan. Some just feel exactly like they should. That S&W is the real McCoy, bruthas...
I've fired them before, and just missed owning two in my gun collecting career. They're the real thing, that's for sure, but WAY out of my range now.

There was a day, though, they were cheap as dirt, and could be found in all manner of NRA conditions in gun stores everywhere. I just had to decide if I wanted to put groceries on the table for Mom and the kids, or own a S&W triplelock. Needless to say, the kids went well fed, and Dad is still looking back over his shoulder at 'what if'. :(

Regards! Michaelson
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Michaelson wrote:
_ wrote:Yeah... Probably right. I've extended an open offer to buy it, but NOT at NEAR what they paid. I've had the priviledge of holding it. You know how a Wested just LOOKS like the jacket? Sometimes? Well, that gun feels like the gun. I've held a few impressive weapons. I've held Arnold's sword from Conan. Some just feel exactly like they should. That S&W is the real McCoy, bruthas...
I've fired them before, and just missed owning two in my gun collecting career. They're the real thing, that's for sure, but WAY out of my range now.

There was a day, though, they were cheap as dirt, and could be found in all manner of NRA conditions in gun stores everywhere. I just had to decide if I wanted to put groceries on the table for Mom and the kids, or own a S&W triplelock. Needless to say, the kids went well fed, and Dad is still looking back over his shoulder at 'what if'. :(

Regards! Michaelson

Those dang kids!

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah. Sold 'em to the gypsies twice. They brought' em back. :roll:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
wellofsouls
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wellofsouls »

Michaelson wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
Remember that the Model 17 is not a Triple Lock. Ignoring the odd short barrel and ramp front sight on the Bapty revolver:
Model 17:
http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/ch ... pedia-org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Triple Lock :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Smith ... parent.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The difference is in the ejector shroud - always a giveaway.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I noticed something, so I've returned to this thread.
_ wrote:I think I get your point, i.e. that they weren't concerned to have the gun in the shot... Because the Armourer WAS VERY concerned about taking care of that S&W. That was the only gun they had - the only revolver. The gun was more important than just about any prop they had. They went to great pains to try to get that very gun back for CS.

That might explain why the gun in the holster appears to NOT be the S&W. In fact, I don't know what that gun is, but it doesn't seem to fit the holster very well. This is the last time we see a(ny) gun in the holster. When Indy goes under the truck, not only is the holster empty (it collapses when it touches the road) but the strap appears to be missing.

(Also note that Terry Leonard's stunt fedora has a hole in it!)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The browning HP maby?
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

It looked to me like a Walther P38, probably borrowed from one of the soldiers, but I think you nailed it, Holt. I think the silver "stripe" is light reflecting off the bottom edge of the grip panel.

It's not the most productive use of my time, but I can foresee myself making photo comparisons in Pixelmator...