Swinging from a tree with a whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_ESNuLwGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been wanting to try this for a while now. There's no cable in the whip, just parachute cord with the core left in and a really beefy fall.

-Adam
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Swinging from a tree with a whip

Post by TREX »

winrichwhips wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_ESNuLwGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been wanting to try this for a while now. There's no cable in the whip, just parachute cord with the core left in and a really beefy fall.

-Adam
Adam, Love it!!! Thank for that video, That was Awesome!! I did that all the time when I was twelve! (of course I only weighed like 80 pounds) I think Today, me being a big fat ###, I would definitely need steel cable reinforced whip LOL!
-T.Rex
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I figured more people must've tried this considering once I really tried it I didn't find it that hard. The only hard part, if you can call it hard, was messing around with the design of the fall so that it would be long enough to wrap and hold, and strong enough to hold my weight. I talked with Joe Strain and he said he tried it when he was a kid and broke the fall on his whip.

I recall that IndyMcFly posted a video a while back, but I don't think he did the wrapping and the swinging in one shot. Maybe someone out there can fill me in on what exactly McFly did in his video.

My goal is to submit it to MythBusters since I don't think they covered any whip stunts when they did all the other Indiana Jones myths.

I had a kid post a comment saying that this whip was impractical, though I'd say it can do everything that any 10-12 ft bullwhip can do. It's certainly more practical than a whip with cable running the whole length of it.

-Adam
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I've thought about making a whip with 3 strands of paracord running down the center like you did, bu what I would have done is

made the paracord as the fall, which doesn't grip well, bit I'd probably put them in the 3 strand flat plait for the fall area.

This is cool :clap:
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

winrichwhips wrote:I figured more people must've tried this considering once I really tried it I didn't find it that hard. The only hard part, if you can call it hard, was messing around with the design of the fall so that it would be long enough to wrap and hold, and strong enough to hold my weight. I talked with Joe Strain and he said he tried it when he was a kid and broke the fall on his whip.

I recall that IndyMcFly posted a video a while back, but I don't think he did the wrapping and the swinging in one shot. Maybe someone out there can fill me in on what exactly McFly did in his video.

My goal is to submit it to MythBusters since I don't think they covered any whip stunts when they did all the other Indiana Jones myths.

I had a kid post a comment saying that this whip was impractical, though I'd say it can do everything that any 10-12 ft bullwhip can do. It's certainly more practical than a whip with cable running the whole length of it.

-Adam
I believe Indy Mcfly's video was satire. I think he swung off of a cable rather than his whip and posted another video about making the first one.

That is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually swing off of a whip like Indy. Although like you said, someone else must have done it.

That is a really cool video. Thanks for sharing.

---
- :TOH: Dr. Jones
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I'm just glad that it has finally been proven that you CAN release the whip with the "flick" at the end (TOD style)

Cool video Adam!

Kyle
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Alright, who wants to lend me their David Morgan so I can try this myself? :lol:

I always figured it could be done, but after owning a nice whip, came to realize whether or not it should be done! :lol: Good to see a demo of this principle in practice, but I'd venture to say it would destroy or harm a nice whip not designed for such a task. ;)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Alright, who wants to lend me their David Morgan so I can try this myself? :lol:
You can use mine... but I WILL need a $3000 deposit :lol:
binkmeisterRick wrote: I'd venture to say it would destroy or harm a nice whip not designed for such a task. ;)
Maybe Indy's was supposed to have been designed to swing on... even though we all now know what the whips he used were made of...

Kyle
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

I just watched the video again. I have got to say thank you. This let's me watch the movies again without that nagging feeling that the whip swinging is impossible.

---
- :TOH: Dr. Jones
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Well.. my brother saw me watching this video, I just finished making him a nylon stockwhip, I came outside to crack my bullwhip,

to see him swinging on it. I specifically told him not to, but he's been kinda deaf today. He ruined the thing, plaiting was nice,

uniform and firm, now it's all separated and loose, it cracked so loud and so fast earlier, now i doesn't. In fact, I timed myself

doing a volley for 15 seconds early, I got 56 cracks. very fast. Now it's just junk. I put so much time into this. I'm not blaming you

adam, just venting if not anything else.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

That was awesome!!!! I'm sitting here watching this video with my oldest son and he will NOT stop bugging me to buy him one of these whips!!! He loved it more than I did. As always, great job Adam. :TOH:

Travis
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

riku1914 wrote:Well.. my brother saw me watching this video, I just finished making him a nylon stockwhip, I came outside to crack my bullwhip,

to see him swinging on it. I specifically told him not to, but he's been kinda deaf today. He ruined the thing, plaiting was nice,

uniform and firm, now it's all separated and loose, it cracked so loud and so fast earlier, now i doesn't. In fact, I timed myself

doing a volley for 15 seconds early, I got 56 cracks. very fast. Now it's just junk. I put so much time into this. I'm not blaming you

Sorry the whip got ruined :oops: I tried explaining in the video how I made this whip different from other whips in the hopes that people wouldn't watch it and try to swing on whatever whip they had on hand. I guess I should have added "don't try this at home" though I'm not sure that ever works.

-Adam
Holmes
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Holmes »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Very Immpressive and just adds to the legend of Adam Winrich.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

winrichwhips wrote:
riku1914 wrote:Well.. my brother saw me watching this video, I just finished making him a nylon stockwhip, I came outside to crack my bullwhip,

Sorry the whip got ruined :oops: I tried explaining in the video how I made this whip different from other whips in the hopes that people wouldn't watch it and try to swing on whatever whip they had on hand. I guess I should have added "don't try this at home" though I'm not sure that ever works.

-Adam

it doesn't, iv'e tried who knows how many things mythbusters have done :lol:

Well Two people specifically told him not to and he did anyway, I don't think a third would have made any difference.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

ha ha what a gallah and what a video!

that was wicked adam put a smile on my face!

Mk
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

All right Adam!!
You now go down in Indy fan history :H:

I think Adam and Jamie would say...................
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

You could swing from just about any whip, you'd just ruin it, that's all. I now have first hand experience from a 60 pound kid ruining

a nylon whip, so now I can tell people that I have seen it happen, and it's not just rumor or heresay.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

That's very cool! Thank for sharing! :clap:
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

When I was around 12 or 13 (26 now) my dad went to disneyland and brought me back, what was at the time, an indiana jones whip... looked nothing like it :lol: .
In any case I used to whip that around low tree branches and swing quite successfully. Absolutely destroyed what was a cheaply made 4 plait whip anyhow. completely stretched the plaits apart near the handle. You could get a finger between them.

But when you grow up a bit and get a proper whip you learn not to make that mistake again!!
Ah to be a kid.....
barry
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by barry »

starks_6 wrote:When I was around 12 or 13 (26 now) my dad went to disneyland and brought me back, what was at the time, an indiana jones whip... looked nothing like it :lol: .
In any case I used to whip that around low tree branches and swing quite successfully. Absolutely destroyed what was a cheaply made 4 plait whip anyhow. completely stretched the plaits apart near the handle. You could get a finger between them.

But when you grow up a bit and get a proper whip you learn not to make that mistake again!!
Ah to be a kid.....
love the vid i knew it was possiable but dont want to risk my whip but if you know how to make them well why not thanks for the swing :whip: :D
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

You Indiana Winrich, or Adam Jones O:) O:) O:)

Excellent!!!!

thanks for sharing

JP
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Viva Cinco de Mayo!
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Adam, you could probably sell those, LOL
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

_ wrote:Lmao! That's great. A little nuts?

I've tried this - a long time ago. I had this Jacka 12-footer. The thing was a fxxxgxn' python. Popping noises came from the belly, so I never did it again. Yes - tequila was involved. In fact it was cinco de mayo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh _. [-X [-X [-X [-X
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

_ wrote:I'm telling ya - the Irish and the mexicans are closely related somehow. :-k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
I've got a lot of Irish in me...
Indywanabe91
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indywanabe91 »

I just saw this video after randomly key-wording "bullwhip swing" on youtube. Adam if you were to make any of these stronger whips, I for one would love to own one. Not exactly for the accuracy but to have it for fun. Please let me know. :whip:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

riku1914 wrote:
_ wrote:I'm telling ya - the Irish and the mexicans are closely related somehow. :-k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
I've got a lot of Irish in me...

That's what she said...
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Adam great video, I learned to do better cracks and variations with a whip about 8 years ago when I found some of your videos on youtube, but had not seen this one, it was recently tried on Mythbusters, but I haven't seen the full episode, here is a short Preview.

Indy's Whip And Leap Test | Mythbusters10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC_sGCCBby0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A. Savage in his video on how he made his Indy whip says you could not brake a 1/16 if an inch piece of Kangaroo hide because of how strong it is, made me think this stunt could be possible with a Morgan or Jacka whip without causing any damage to it, but Winrich being an expert of whips I guess has already tried that :lol:
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Found the full episode.

https://youtu.be/NZDsrq_pfwI?list=PL6wk ... KeVApNOW6s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

adiemilio wrote:Found the full episode.

https://youtu.be/NZDsrq_pfwI?list=PL6wk ... KeVApNOW6s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
already removed. [-(
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

chenricy wrote:
adiemilio wrote:Found the full episode.

already removed. [-(
](*,)

Well it was plausible, A. Savage repeatedly swung from the whip, he made the whip himself with a DM Kangaroo hide, this is not his old first whip this is a new specifically made for the episode that actually looks more accurate; the whip was continuously slipping from the fake log they used that they hat to glue sandpaper to make it more abbrassive as real wood, which made them complete the swing with success. But I have no idea in what condition the whip was left, it seem fine all the way through, nothing was mentioned about it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll leave this right here for your enjoyment then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVmFiOecRg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! Michaelson
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Man, is that whip thick! Nice work for an amateur maker though! I just recently saw the Raiders Mythbusters episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Anthony Delongis's cameo was a bonus! I always knew it was plausible to swing from a whip that was strong enough to hold one's body weight, bu it would more than likely ruin the taper. No disrespect intended to the grandfather of American bullwhips, rest his soul, but David Morgan's whips weren't tapered all that precisely to begin with. At least not like a highly technical Aussie type whip. The ease of cracking of a Morgan whip mostly came from the weight and the balance of it, so a bit of stretching from a swing wouldn't necessarily ruin the whip's ability to crack well, not unless it was destroyed in the process! Not to mention that going by the films, indy's whip was a tool: a useful but replaceable tool. So if swinging from it saved his skin, but decimated the whip, then he'd just grab a fresh one for his next adventure! I'm pretty sure he was paying far less for whips than what we have to! It's only at the current prices that we cringe at ruining a whip by swinging on it!!
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Tyrloch wrote: indy's whip was a tool: a useful but replaceable tool. So if swinging from it saved his skin, but decimated the whip, then he'd just grab a fresh one for his next adventure! I'm pretty sure he was paying far less for whips than what we have to! It's only at the current prices that we cringe at ruining a whip by swinging on it!!
I agree on that one, like a hammer or something an archaeologist would used, I guess the prices are so high right know that one cringes because of the demand, so replacing it easily those days wouldn't be so much of an issue. Just as Fedora's or Penman hat prices had to go up is because of the demand, but I really have no knowledge of the current prices during the 80's of Morgan whips so I really can't say.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

adiemilio wrote:
Tyrloch wrote: indy's whip was a tool: a useful but replaceable tool. So if swinging from it saved his skin, but decimated the whip, then he'd just grab a fresh one for his next adventure! I'm pretty sure he was paying far less for whips than what we have to! It's only at the current prices that we cringe at ruining a whip by swinging on it!!
I agree on that one, like a hammer or something an archaeologist would used, I guess the prices are so high right know that one cringes because of the demand, so replacing it easily those days wouldn't be so much of an issue. Just as Fedora's or Penman hat prices had to go up is because of the demand, but I really have no knowledge of the current prices during the 80's of Morgan whips so I really can't say.
Seeing that he lost both his whip and his gun to Belloq right after the first scene it shows he can replace it ASAP shows he's used to losing them. Wonder why that is overlooked so much lol.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

chenricy wrote:Seeing that he lost both his whip and his gun to Belloq right after the first scene it shows he can replace it ASAP shows he's used to losing them. Wonder why that is overlooked so much lol.
Maybe Belloq mailed them back to him to further rub it in that he won that time.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Satipo wrote:
chenricy wrote:Seeing that he lost both his whip and his gun to Belloq right after the first scene it shows he can replace it ASAP shows he's used to losing them. Wonder why that is overlooked so much lol.
Maybe Belloq mailed them back to him to further rub it in that he won that time.
haha, he most probably trew them to the river. I also forgot, he replaced his shirt and shoulder bag after TOD.