Got a new jacket, and it's so close to perfect for me

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Got a new jacket in a trade. Pics to follow. It's a custom Todd that fits me better then the customs I have ordered in the past from another company. This is going to be my omnly jacket for a long time, so keep an eye on the bazaar for a temple of doom and a xxl todd's raiders.
It's a lighter brown then I'm used to, and it isn't lamb which i've grown to love, but I am really happy with an Indy jacket for the first time since 08 when I got started on this insanity.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Got a new jacket, and it's so close to perfect for me

Post by donovan »

glad youv'e had some luck with the jacket :) .i remember the trouble you had with sizing of your TOD jacket.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Time to pull out the and record every possible measurement on that jacket. It's disheartening to pay so much for something that doesn't fit.

Glad you found it
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Im just glad I finally had something that was good enough to trade and got something awesome in return. And that this other COW member was of a similar size:).
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Allrighty, Joyce! You know the drill.....

:WLWOP:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Pics!

Hope that first one worked. It's a Todd's custom, in lightweight cow. It's lighter brown then I'm used to, but it photographs well. It's 27 inches long, with 23 inch shoulders and 27 inches armpit to armpit, with 25 inch sleeves. It's nice having the back pleat stay where it's supposed to and be able to do the slouchy off the shoulders look of Raiders.

Gave it it's first shower today!

Still training the collar, need to bunch up the sleeves,and going to try to break it in without doing anything to the action pleats. Curse you August! Hopefully, I can get my GF to take a pic of me IN the jacket this weekend.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Nice pockets!
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Now that's a good looking Raiders jacket! Mine is getting better every day as well. One thing to consider, try adding Lexol to your jacket after the shower treatment. I was wearing mine in a heavy down pour of rain one time and the leather became real stiff. After adding Lexol to the jacket it has loosened up the fibers a lot. Maybe yours doesn't need it but mine sure did!
Again great jacket!
:TOH:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

More Pics! And alterations! Look away Michaelson, lest ye go mad...

So, As I've said, it's a great jacket but light in color. Reminds me of the behind the scenes photo where the photo stand in for HF has that really light brown jacket. Now that the jacket has dried out and I treated it with leather wipes, here is a new shot.

So I tried an experiment...I never had a catchers mitt but I know that it gets darker with mink oil. And what does my local Target finally sell? Kiwi Mink Oil.

With a rag, the mink oil, and my heat gun(don't faint...not the kind that strips paint, a weaker version sold in craft stores) I set about slathering in the oil...heating it...bringing out the grain in the jacket while letting the oil melt into it. As a test, I decided to melt some brown shoe polish on the inside of a pocket flap along with the oil.

Now, I like the result, even buffed it out, but I don't know if I really want to melt shoe polish over this entire jacket.

I went back to just the oil for now, on the right side of the jacket.

See the difference? The oil is soaking in, changing the color from what you see on the sleeve; using a lamp to best replicate the color in bright sunlight. I have much more to do, but, this is definitely a promising start.

There you can better see the contrast, as well as the fact that the oil is still not distributed evenly, but, this was only two coats. I've been reading other threads where people noticed that it isn't the sun, but rather the heat that helps take mink oil, pecards, olive oil, or whatever dressing you use and just soak it right in. Of course, it's raining this week so letting the jacket bake in my car all day isn't an option.

I'm pretty proud of the results and I can't wait to continue.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Yes, Lexol is magic in a bottle. like I mentioned my is the Todds standard in lamb skin. I bought my Lexol at Riley auto parts store. (use to be Checker auto parts) I paid about $12.00 total for the Lexol, then I went to Walmart bought a spong $2.00. Applied Lexol ( spray on jacket rubbed with spong to get it evenly throughout) let hang dry on hanger from US Wings. Took about a day and a half to completely dry but it did wonders! Trust me Joyce this is what your looking for.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Now that the oil is working, I'll take this over to the distressing forum.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Glad you found one that fits you man. I know you've been struggling with that. Awesome news.

As for the mink oil.....it's organic based and will rot over time, which is why it is not recommended for your jacket. I'd switch to something synthetic if I will how. As nice as mink oil smells, it really isn't good for something like a jacket if you want it to last a lifetime.

Great looking jacket though. :tup: