Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Bdgsi11 »

California
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

PETER wrote:That jacket is too big and need to be reduced on the shoulder and sleeves and a tad in the body.
I can see from the pics what is wrong. Return it for adjustments or replacement no problem.
Cheers Peter
Excellent news, Peter.

And a weight off your shoulders, isn't it Bdgsi11?

8)
Last edited by Rom Hunter on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

not really. I have to pay over $100 for shipping
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I am thinking of ordering one of these in pre-distressed hide. Any opinions out there about that hide?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's a cowhide, so the drape may be a little heavy. I think it's more suited to a LC or CS JMO.

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Bdgsi11 wrote:not really. I have to pay over $100 for shipping
Are you sure? I just went to usps site and calculate price for shipping to UK, if you can put the jacket into a large envelope you can pay max 30 USD lol.
I have gone through the same thing with my jacket and I sent it in large envelope and paid about 5% of value of new jacket.

Just go to the nearest post office and ask someone for help. They will know best how to do it so you pay less.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Thanks. I'll look into that.
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Bogie1943 wrote:I am thinking of ordering one of these in pre-distressed hide. Any opinions out there about that hide?
the predis is heavier with very little grain, the drape isn't as "silky" as a lamb. it feels like a man's jacket rather than a disco windbreaker. though not sa the hide really screams " indy"! much better choice than crocodile crispe!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Gorak wrote:Acouple of more grain pics...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101244.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101438.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101511.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a pocket shot..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101627.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have just been kneading the whole jacket with my hands...sitting on it, and stepping on it and I
think the distressing greatly resembles the Hawaii jacket in grain appearance..as there seems to
be slashes or cuts all thru out.
I think Gorak's hits the home run... It may be the best representation of the Raiders leather I've seen. From what Peter's said, it's sheep, not lamb and a bit tougher. I still like the crisp for kickin' around in
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Gorak's jacket is what did it for me. After seeing his, I knew that was what I'd been looking for. I even made the same request for the thinnest, lightest skin and Gemma emailed back stating that it would be done. I ordered mine Sunday evening.

jlhampton
Indy B
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy B »

Texan Scott's jacket looks really nice!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Any idea when the SL will be back in stock?

Kyle
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ok, quick question. When I dial Wested # it won't go through, either not enough #'s or too many. What am I doing wrong?
I want to try and go with same as Gorak, as I love the look and I too want a thin/light weight jacket.
Now for measurement questions.

Measured my chest just wearing a T-shirt, with a deep breath it measures 41" does this mean the size I order is a 42.
My Todds says it's a 40s and fits me quite nicely.
I want to use my Todds as a base for measurements.

Thoughts.
Thanks.

Croft :mrgreen:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Their number is 00 44 1322 660654.

The '00' is international code.

The '44' is UK

'(0)1322' is the local area, i guess Swanley

etc etc.

So you may have to insert a different code instead of 00 to make an International call.

Hope this helps.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Indy B wrote:Texan Scott's jacket looks really nice!
'tis a nice jacket. I may take it on the next adventure with me. Looks like that SL leather makes a fine jacket as well, may have to have one of these. ;)

For a bit more than $300, custom and choice of skin, not a bad deal at all.

Bests,

Scott
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Even with this thin drapey authentic lamb, I feel I get the best of both worlds as I have "grain" too. I had a Nowak Raiders Shrunken Lamb which was reported to be "the One" from the maker himself and the grain was too over the top. Very dino-skin as has been remarked. And even if the Real jacket did appear so in person, it still doesn`t fit what I selfishly believe I saw onscreen and I eventually traded it for a Todd`s. It was very thick feeling, didn`t sit right on me to my eyes, and just all around wasn`t doing it for me. I know thw jacket as an item is great and some of you guys have some real winners but it just wasn`t for me. And I feel the same about Wested`s new SL. Looks nice and I`m certain alot of you guys can carry it off but just not very Raiders to my eyes.
Here`s a few shots this morning I tried to take of the grain emerging from what appeared to be smooth Authentic lamb......Could the real jacket have been made of this type of leather ( not necessarily Wested current Authentic Brown Lambskin, but something simliar) and, with what it was put thru duriing filming and all the years hanging in Mr. Lucas`s office, just 'raisined' into this shrunken lamb texture?
Heres the bottom of the storm flap..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 110747.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here is a further back shot to show how the grain just blends with smooth spots...and note the color change too as it darkens for some lighting reason...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 112753.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and these are the only two photos I could find of my Nowak for comparison....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 170833.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 171024.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my opinion....WAY too grainy and looking nothing like what I see onscreen.
:TOH:
Last edited by Gorak on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I hole heartly agree Gorak, the Nowak looks nice, but the grain looks off.
Sent email to Gemma w/questions. I soooooooooooooooooooo want to order one of these. [-o<

CRoft :mrgreen:
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Extremely grainy indeed.

Gorak,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you ordered a custom Wested in Authentic Lamb and asked Peter to make it like the HERO jacket, right?

8)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Guys!

please remember the 6 photos AND 6 links per thread. feel free to post an offsite gallery
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Originally yes, but then Gemma wrote me and said to just order the Hero off the Hero page so , after it was cancelled, I just ordered off the website with just those measurements it asks for. I then sent one e-mail stating to use the thinnest most lightweight leather available. Gemma responded that my order was recieved and my request and I just responded later to make sure that my jacket would be made in the thinnest most lightweight leather and the response was a kind polite.."understood!" That was it.
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Understood.

I asked this, because I do not see any Authentic Brown Lambskin option on the Standard HERO jacket, only Seal Brown Lambskin and Dark Brown Lambskin.

8)
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Gorak wrote:Even with this thin drapey authentic lamb, I feel I get the best of both worlds as I have "grain" too. I had a Nowak Raiders Shrunken Lamb which was reported to be "the One" from the maker himself and the grain was too over the top. Very dino-skin as has been remarked. And even if the Real jacket did appear so in person, it still doesn`t fit what I selfishly believe I saw onscreen and I eventually traded it for a Todd`s. It was very thick feeling, didn`t sit right on me to my eyes, and just all around wasn`t doing it for me. I know thw jacket as an item is great and some of you guys have some real winners but it just wasn`t for me. And I feel the same about Wested`s new SL. Looks nice and I`m certain alot of you guys can carry it off but just not very Raiders to my eyes.
Here`s a few shots this morning I tried to take of the grain emerging from what appeared to be smooth Authentic lamb......Could the real jacket have been made of this type of leather ( not necessarily Wested current Authentic Brown Lambskin, but something simliar) and, with what it was put thru duriing filming and all the years hanging in Mr. Lucas`s office, just 'raisined' into this shrunken lamb texture?
Heres the bottom of the storm flap..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 110747.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here is a further back shot to show how the grain just blends with smooth spots...and note the color change too as it darkens for some lighting reason...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 112753.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and these are the only two photos I could find of my Nowak for comparison....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 170833.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 171024.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my opinion....WAY too grainy and looking nothing like what I see onscreen.
I remember that jacket! ;)
You're right Gorak, it was way too..bumpy. It reminded me of the pattern on an Easter Egg. Not at all the smoother shrunken lamb I'd asked for. :(
It was suberbly made though, and was the best fitting Indy jacket I've owned. Glad you were able to sell it on, and hopefully the newest owner likes it at least! :)
I think you struck gold with your Wested Hero in lamb. Light, like you wanted, and so much like the screen jacket it's uncanny.
Good things come to those who wait!
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

The SL jnicktem got looks pretty smooth. Is that what we should be able to expect consistantly from Wested with their SL skins or was this not typical of such a leather? Looks like that SL Gorak had from Nowak was more like the Crispe Wested offers. This is kinda confusing.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thats exactly why I wanted to post pics of the Nowak. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw Wested SL. ;)
I would think that the consistancy of leather is hard to keep with each piece reacting in its own way......I would imagine it would take a vendor to painstakingly sit and match evety piece of leather to match and that, of course, will run into big money.
Funny enough, I have two Banana Republic leather jackets that seem as though the makers made a great effort in matching the grain in the pieces that make it..and they ran about $200 to $300.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

knibs7 wrote:Any idea when the SL will be back in stock?

Kyle

Yeah, anyone hear from Gemma about the SL?

(I'm hoping the new batch of skins will have more "character" than what I saw in the pics).
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

For my exchange jacket I am getting the standard hero in thin, lightweight lambskin. I really do like the color of my Todd's jacket though, does anyone know which color would look more like it, the seal brown or dark brown? Also, which color would give a much more SA look? My guess would be the dark brown, but wasn't the original film jacket color made in seal brown?
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

I was wondering the same.

If the seal brown looks like the Crispe seal brown, than I prefer the dark brown.

8)
Last edited by Rom Hunter on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Rom Hunter wrote:I was wondering the same.

If the seal brown looks like the Crispe seal brown, than I prefer the dark brown.
Peter said that seal brown lamb is darker than the auth. brown, so I suppose this is the best choice for a Raiders. :roll:
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

Here's a couple of pics of the Seal Brown goat, if that gives you any helpful idea:

hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

As a second choice to the elusive SL I'd think the soft goat looks gorgeous, the crispe jackets I've seen always remind me of this:
http://www.daryljoyce.co.uk/media/22659 ... ster-2.jpg
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The seal brown goat looks good! Alot like its cousin. ;)

With the Hero Standard option, it appears as though you have a choice of seal brown lamb, dark brown lamb, seal brown soft goat and pre-distressed (cow) hide. Are these ready pre-made jackets, OTR?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I'm in contact with Gemma, and were discussing sizing for me, so I sent her a link to my Todds & Wested (which has moved on to a new owner \:D/ ) ) so she can see how my Todds fits me. Didn't send any of my US SL, as that jackets in another feild allby it self. Just bigger all around, but I like the way it wears now........................................ sorry, where were we, oh yea. An order should be placed soon.
Authentic brown or seal brown but to be light weight like Goraks. My fingers will be crossed.

Croft :mrgreen:
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

Texan Scott wrote:The seal brown goat looks good! Alot like its cousin. ;)

With the Hero Standard option, it appears as though you have a choice of seal brown lamb, dark brown lamb, seal brown soft goat and pre-distressed (cow) hide. Are these ready pre-made jackets, OTR?
They are custom, I believe; mine was to my sleeve and back specifications.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Hey Fate, could we see some pictures of you wearing the jacket? I'd LOVE to see how the fit is an whatnot... The color looks amazing!
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

[quote="Adventure Dog"]Hey Fate, could we see some pictures of you wearing the jacket? I'd LOVE to see how the fit is an whatnot... The color looks amazing![/quote

Yes, I'll post some as soon as I get the chance. I haven't taken any of me wearing it yet. :)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

So no word on the SL?

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Is there a difference in pattern for the Standard and SL? I'm assuming the price difference is just because of the SL

Kyle
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

AFAIK the pattern is the same.

8)
Last edited by Rom Hunter on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Ordered mine today!

Standard Hero in authentic brown lamb, and, like Gorak, asked for the thinnest, lightest lamb.

Pics upon arrival!

Regards,
Sean
KrYpToNiAn1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KrYpToNiAn1 »

Is there a waiting list for the Shrunken Lamb?

s.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Still not anyone that have purchased the soft seal goat yet?
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

nihil wrote:Still not anyone that have purchased the soft seal goat yet?
yes, I have - there are pics showing the skin above. I'll post some of the jacket being worn when I get the chance.

The skin is better than the picture on the order page suggests - less shiny and more textured. It feels thin and light but tough at the same time.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

KrYpToNiAn1 wrote:Is there a waiting list for the Shrunken Lamb?

s.
Yeah, sometime in 2013 so I was told.

So far, I've only seen 1 guy here with the SL. I just don't understand why Wested even offered the SL in the first place when in reality, they only had enough hides to make just a handful of jackets.

Bottom line, they've already got my money. 'Nough said.
The Numenorean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Numenorean »

The bottom line is Peter was let down by his supplier. Having been down to the place i've seen the rolls and rolls of shrunken lamb that he has piled up. In retrospect yeah, he should of gone through all of them before taking orders but you don't expect 90% of your stock to be inadequate in some way. And believe me, he's hardly delighted about the situation.
In short, I found him very helpful and he took time out from a busy and stressfull time to chat to us. I feel for all the guys waiting on this but I believe it'll be worth the wait for you all.

The Numenorean

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Well, I just got an email from Gemma telling me to change the hide because SL is no longer offered indefinately.

So, I went ahead and changed my leather to goat.

I guess those of you lucky enough to have a SL Hero now have a collector's item on your hands.
KrYpToNiAn1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KrYpToNiAn1 »

#-o

I REALLY wanted that SL. Maybe he'll source out another skin?

In the meantime, could someone please post some more pics of the Seal Brown Goat and/or the Washed Goat?

s.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

The Numenorean wrote:The bottom line is Peter was let down by his supplier...you don't expect 90% of your stock to be inadequate in some way. And believe me, he's hardly delighted about the situation.
Yeeeesh... Really sorry to learn this.
:(
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Yes, a pity indeed.

Anyone here owns the Dark Brown Lamb HERO?

8)
Last edited by Rom Hunter on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

Guess that answers my question about getting the SL or new soft goat... :-k Now do I want the goat or do I want the dark brown lamb...ahh #-o ...thought I had this figured out.
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I just got my seal brown lamb and it was everything i had expected it to be. The color is very close to my old (2005) dark brown lamb. I don't know why anyone would want anything darker. The new seal brown is just a tad darker than the old authentic brown swatch Wested sent me years ago. I also asked for the thinnest skin they could give me and believe me, it's pretty thin. This jacket drapes very nicely. Now, I'm just treating it lightly with some water and manipulating the leather. I really loved how Gorak's came out so I'm giving it the same treatment and it's coming out very well.

jlhampton