Crystal Skull
9%

Total votes: 116

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Which film jacket is your favorite?

Post by CM »

I also dislike the KotCS costume. I remember when the film was being made, the costume was said to be made of premium materials with real life wear possible. Think I read that here. It made Indy look like a kind of monument. I think they fixated on quality for this flick and forgot the look. Let's face it, film is all smoke a mirrors. A badly made, thin, scrappy bit of miss-matched lamb skin can look like the world's coolest jacket - with the right preparation.

I wonder: if Ford had worn the exact costume he wore in Raiders in KoSC would he have looked okay or not?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Raiders all the way! Currently at 70%
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

CM wrote: I wonder: if Ford had worn the exact costume he wore in Raiders in KoSC would he have looked okay or not?
you know, to almost 99% of the people who saw CS he did wear the exact same costume :P :lol:

To me Raiders has the best looking jacket in it but I could never rank the rest of them. They all look cool. If I would have to choose a second-favourite I would probably, after a lot of mulling on which one would be most practical in real life, end up naming the CS jacket. But based on looks alone I'd be stuck.

Regards, Geert
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

CM wrote: I wonder: if Ford had worn the exact costume he wore in Raiders in KoSC would he have looked okay or not?

I did some photoshop work on this some time ago and here is how he pretty much would look.

sofianeomari
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by sofianeomari »

Indiana Holt wrote:

I did some photoshop work on this some time ago and here is how he pretty much would look.

Amazing ! :o
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

In other words, he would have looked great. However, as is typical when you just milk the ol' cash cow, they just threw the wardrobe together and it looked terrible ...
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Indiana Holt wrote:

In my opinion.... he doesn't look that great. He looks like an old guy trying to look young and reckless. It works when you are young and reckless, but the CS style better suits his age, again in my opinion. In CS he looks like a guy who has kind of cut back on the adventures and already made his fortune so he can afford better clothes.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

My favorite jacket is the bathrobe that he wore in Raiders. He had that whole Hugh Hefener thing going. Man, he probably bagged so many college coeds in that thing. :Dietrich:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I also agree with Nick, I don't think the Raiders look works for him if it was in CS (going by the photoshop). Wearing a Star Wars/comic book hero logo t-shirt when you're a kid till let's say 40's looks fine but perhaps not when you're 60-80's.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Re: Which film jacket is your favorite?

Post by Hollowpond »

Rundquist wrote:My favorite jacket is the bathrobe that he wore in Raiders. He had that whole Hugh Hefener thing going. Man, he probably bagged so many college coeds in that thing. :Dietrich:
AGREED!!! And I still stand by my assertion that Indy looked horrible in CS. Its mainly the predistressed leather and the pants up to the armpits. He didn't look ready for adventure. He looked like he was ready to give his grandson a Werther's original and watch Murder She Wrote ...just saying.
Kali Yuga
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kali Yuga »

jnicktem wrote: In my opinion.... he doesn't look that great. He looks like an old guy trying to look young and reckless. It works when you are young and reckless, but the CS style better suits his age, again in my opinion.
I agree with you, too, Nick.
By the way very good montage, Eric. :tup:
I always wondered, how Clive Owen would look in the Raiders outfit. :-k

Regards,

Kali Yuga

P.S. My favourite jacket is also the Raiders jacket.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

My choice: Raiders all the time.
St. Dumas wrote:All of the Nowak jackets we've seen on this site have been brand spankin' new.
This is my 2 1/2 years old Raiders Nowak. Getting better with time...

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kali Yuga
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kali Yuga »

Wow, great looking jacket, Rask!
Is it a goat?
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Yep. Dark brown goat. Thanks a lot, Kali.
Last edited by Raskolnikov on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

I disagree with the observation on age and the raiders jacket. It depends on if you have kept yourself in shape, especially around the core. An older man can wear a raiders style jacket if he is still lean. I think the CS jacket could have been cut a bit trimmer for Ford and he would have looked fine.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I agree on all counts. As an older man struggling to get/stay lean, that is...

But he should lower the pants a little too so you can see his shirt.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Aldens now out of mouth. I have seen your recent pictures and would not pick a bar fight with a man your size, but then I'm not Indy ;)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

IndyBrit wrote:I disagree with the observation on age and the raiders jacket. It depends on if you have kept yourself in shape, especially around the core. An older man can wear a raiders style jacket if he is still lean. I think the CS jacket could have been cut a bit trimmer for Ford and he would have looked fine.
Just to be clear- there is a difference between the Raiders STYLE and the Raiders JACKET.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Rask, you handsome devil!
That jacket of yours is truly becoming more beautiful every time I see it!
:notworthy:
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

jnicktem wrote:
IndyBrit wrote:I disagree with the observation on age and the raiders jacket. It depends on if you have kept yourself in shape, especially around the core. An older man can wear a raiders style jacket if he is still lean. I think the CS jacket could have been cut a bit trimmer for Ford and he would have looked fine.
Just to be clear- there is a difference between the Raiders STYLE and the Raiders JACKET.
Well we could always put this to a little test. I intend to get a Wested Hero and I am an old bugger!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

_ wrote:
Bud, I have only 10% bodyfat and I cannot wear a raiders. I'm not skinny, but I'm also not fat. Need help pulling those Aldens out of your mouth?

And I'm laughing. Not ticked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think "lean" as in, not bulky. Indy in Raiders was more of an everyman, not a muscled hero type. He was defined by tenacity and audacity. The Raiders look is somewhat linked to NOT being physically imposing, but surprisingly tough.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Thanks Mitch and Michael :TOH:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Holt wrote:

Wow. I think he would look better in that gear. The thing about KotCS is that it looks like a costume. HF looks tougher and more 'real' in the Raiders gear.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

But he does reportedly have a G&B which is based on a Raiders, right?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

_ wrote:Unfortunately, he didn't like the raiders jacket. Or the Temple. He liked his LC and his CS. They're the only ones he personally kept. But, then - well... Look at his haircut and his earing? (grin) I'm not saying he has questionable taste - just that it's not mine.

I think the Temple jacket in the village is the best look in all 4 flicks. Jmo...

I hear you. Actors are not always the best judge of what to wear.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Tundrarider wrote:
Raskolnikov wrote:Thanks Mitch and Michael :TOH:
You're welcome. :TOH:

Seeing your jacket (again) really bums me out that I didn't get a Raiders from Tony.

Too bad you're not into the Full Gear thing, because the way this jacket looks on you, your full gear shot would be incredible! :whip:

(But it still looks awesome even with a pair of jeans! :P )

Though it's "just a @#$%&* jacket, I'm still amazed at what Tony could do with one! :H:

Michael :TOH:
Thanks again for your kind words, Michael, as always. This is an amazing jacket in every aspect. But what keeps me itrigued is how bad the original pattern was made (it seats so badly once weared, specially when it's zipped up) and yet how good it looks. Tony did a work of art replicating this.
Ford's body has changed a lot since 1981, not only his face, and I don't think that a Raiders jacket would have looked so flattering on him right know. The CS choice was a good one, in my opinion, and the jacket itself roks: I gave my CS to my father, who's the same age as HF, an it looks great on him, much better than on me. I think that what looks wrong about this jacket in the movie is that it seems like brand new. A good distressing job would have made it look incredibly cool. Just my 2 cents.
_ wrote:Rask - that's a BEAUTIFUL jacket on you, bud! Dang! Wish I could pull that off. :TOH:
Thanks _ :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:Well... Guess the TNO's been sitting too long? All the creases have dropped! Still shows wear, but it's reverting back to - well - boring... :-k

ImageImage
...and whose fault is that? Wear it sometimes! ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I thought that public nudity was generally discouraged in the US.. ;)

Ian
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Without sounding creepy, I've been trying to find some way to ask _ for a picture of his closet? Love to see all his jackets... :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:True... :-k But then, NOTHING is getting wear the last several weeks. July was near 100 all month. Then we were in Mexico. May be going to a Microsoft-thing in Seattle? Finally a chance to wear something!
Same here. :roll: At the moment the heat index is 106 outside the building, and it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow and Wednesday.

Ah, I'm looking forward to Fall myself.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Suhweeeeet! I found a black wool jacket in my closet that looks a whole lot like that Wested X-Men Russian attack jacket we were drooling over. I bought it last year off e-bay from some wacky company in China or Korea. Couldn`t understand most of the decription and just ordered it hoping it would fit as it looked just too cool to pass up.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

Definitely a Raiders jacket.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

Although I brought a Raiders Jacket from Leather Concessionairres back in '89 my favourite jacket has always been the Temple of Doom jacket by Cooper. I thought the tighter fit and shorter design looked great on Harrison in his prime and as others have said, I really liked the wrinkled arms. I'm surprised Harrison didn't like it. I thought it looked great, especially in the village scenes at the start and end of the film and the back of the jacket in the dingy scenes sliding down the mountain. I loved how battered and beaten up and worn the jacket looked, especially the thinner collar in some publicity shots where you can see the stitching is all frayed. The smaller pockets looked cool too.

Obviously I love the Raiders jacket, that started it all and I can see why it is the most popular.

I was never a massive fan of the Last Crusade jacket due to the bigger collar and bigger pockets but it did look really well distressed in some shots.

The Crystal Skull jacket was okay but again, I'm not too keen on the larger collar and it didn't look worn in enough for me and seemed a little big.

So for me it is definately the Temple of Doom jacket.
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

The Raiders jacket is my favorite, the Chachapoyan temple entrance scene. :H:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I liked them all at first...but if I recall,Last Crusade was the one that started it,wider collar and all..:- But fourth jacket´s just too loose,IMO. In Temple of Doom, the Jacket looks great but as if its ready to fall apart! Even its supposed to be earlier adventure THAN Raiders. When Internet came to the scene and I now that I know better...Raiders has risen to the first place....allthough LC was first Jones that I saw in the cinema--with my dad and he just loved it!! So that explains partly my fasination to "The Man with the Hat"... :H: :TOH: ;)
Last edited by MARQ on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

_ wrote:
Collectedin89 wrote:Although I brought a Raiders Jacket from Leather Concessionairres back in '89 my favourite jacket has always been the Temple of Doom jacket by Cooper. I thought the tighter fit and shorter design looked great on Harrison in his prime and as others have said, I really liked the wrinkled arms. I'm surprised Harrison didn't like it. I thought it looked great, especially in the village scenes at the start and end of the film and the back of the jacket in the dingy scenes sliding down the mountain. I loved how battered and beaten up and worn the jacket looked, especially the thinner collar in some publicity shots where you can see the stitching is all frayed. The smaller pockets looked cool too.

Obviously I love the Raiders jacket, that started it all and I can see why it is the most popular.

I was never a massive fan of the Last Crusade jacket due to the bigger collar and bigger pockets but it did look really well distressed in some shots.

The Crystal Skull jacket was okay but again, I'm not too keen on the larger collar and it didn't look worn in enough for me and seemed a little big.

So for me it is definately the Temple of Doom jacket.
Interesting point on the ToD? Sizing was virtually identical to the Raiders jacket. Ford was more buff - i.e. he filled it out better. Harrison was never a big fan of the jackets in general, as he was the "poor slob" who had to wear them in the most inappropriate climates. The sound stages were the only comfortable place to wear one, as they tend to be in the 50's (f) all the time...
Yes, he was in really good shape and in his prime for that film, as you said he must have filled it out better. I certainly preferred that tighter fit on him, I thought it looked really good, at the end of the film especially. As I said, I just loved that completely beat up look and the collar with the stitching coming apart.

By the way, you are obviously an expert on the Indy jacket and I have loved reading some of your comments and stories on here and on other sites the last few days! Cheers.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

_ wrote:
Collectedin89 wrote:By the way, you are obviously an expert on the Indy jacket and I have loved reading some of your comments and stories on here and on other sites the last few days! Cheers.
I've poked around things a bit. :TOH: But, thank you. I am fortunate to have known and worked for/with a few of the right people to gain access to information. I happy people can benefit from it and find enjoyment from the work.

Regards,

-P
I was just reading your comments about the bag strap too, again very interesting. You know so much about the clothing and what happened on set, as I'm new here and probably missed it and if you don't mind me asking, in what way were you involved in the making of the films?
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

_ wrote:Well, with CS I was able to work on the movie itself on the Universal lot. But, primarily, I have worked with and for Steven in a variety of capacities since 1999. It has allowed me access to people and places - as I can get people to take and return calls? (grin)

But I'm not in a core entertainment industry trade - I'm a finance guy who has been allowed to play in different sandboxes at times. On CS I had an opportunity to "swing a hammer" in a sense, as I worked on sets. It was an opportunity to sweat a little and be close to the action, so to speak. :TOH:

-P
Thanks for the reply! If you don't mind me asking, what was your actual job role on CS? What did you do on set?

It must have been great socialising and getting to know Harrison and Steven over the years, you are very lucky, especially as you are a fan anyway, you must have some great stories to tell.

Also, I meant to ask you, I saw you confirm somwhere that Harrison owns a G&B Lee Keppler jacket, how did that come about? Why would one find it's way into Harrison's wardbrobe?

Also, you mentioned Harrison liked the LC and CS jackets and took some of them home, are there any photo's of these jackets around or Harrison wearing them off set?

Thanks again for sharing your knowlegde.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

Thanks for the info. _, much appreciated.

I saw that Ebay auction when you mentioned it last night, very fishy indeed.

Do you know if there are any stills online of HF in his LC jacket at the press conference?

I always liked that picture from the set of LC, I first saw it in the Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine, a sideways shot of HF with SS directing and he is wearing a zipped up LC jacket that wasn't distressed.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

Oh cool, thanks.

I guess as he turned up unannounced, he grabbed those items from home then.

So, I'm guessing that's an old Herbert Johnson Fedora? Or was it from CS, do you know?
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

_ wrote:
Collectedin89 wrote:Oh cool, thanks.

I guess as he turned up unannounced, he grabbed those items from home then.

So, I'm guessing that's an old Herbert Johnson Fedora? Or was it from CS, do you know?
Well, given it was 2003? :-k :TOH:
Oh sorry, I didn't realise the press conference was that long ago.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

Raiders is the easy choice, but ToD is my #2. As others have said, Ford's physique made the jacket look fantasic and very contemporary. Physically fit people make clothes look better, that's why models can make even the ugliest clothes shine.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

_ wrote:Kelly looks smokin in a suit of armor. Uh - don't ask how I know... :TOH:

:WLWOP:

;)
tmurph
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tmurph »

Thats the first time I've ever seen that photo of all three Indy girls together with ford. Thanks for that and Alison WOW! Now I remember why she was always my favorite.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

That pic ain´t news to me.It´s cool to see that again..moviehistory.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

Very surprised to see the Temple jacket has the least amount of votes, even less than the boring Crystal Skull jacket.

The Temple jacket is so cool, it looked the best on Harrison's frame, was the most beat up and distressed and those wrinkled arms and collar with the frayed stitching looked great.

Infact, the whole Temple costume was brilliant, even the hat looked good for the most part, especially the village scenes but ofcourse not on Lao Che's plane!

And how often do you see Indy minus his jacket, covered in blood, an arm ripped off his shirt, an epaulette unbuttoned, bandage (shirt) around his knuckles and carrying a machete? What an awesome look!

Plus the film was dark, no mention of other characters we know, no school scenes or teaching, Indy in a tux, a child sidekick. It was a stand alone adventure, seperate to the other films, no real life villians like Nazi's either.

Temple rocks! And so does the jacket. Funnilly enough, the one that people don't know too much about compared to the makers of the other jackets. Funny coincidence eh!
bjw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bjw »

I have to second that vote, Collectedin89. Despite its somewhat checkered background, the natural-looking distressing combined with the extra length combined with that magnificent drape (most noticeable during the shrine inspection near the beginning *drool* *slobber*) combined with smaller pockets are GOOD make the TOD the definitive Indy jacket for me! The ROTLA is a classic but it just doesn't have the sheer CHARACTER of the TOD. Also, the TOD is a prime example of costume illuminating character. The jacket comes on and at a glance you get not only the character's background (i.e., adventures past) but also a sense of his personality. I mean, it takes a certain kind of guy to wear a jacket THAT beat-up. No matter how many times I watch it, as soon as he's in his gear I feel I'm watching a real guy, not an actor in an off-the-rack costume, and the jacket's a huge part of that. It truly feels like that proverbial second skin. Oh yeah, and it's a pretty decent flick too. ;)

Love the distressing on the LC too but unlike the TOD it's clearly distressing. Also the collar on the LC looks a bit square (as in, "Don't be a square") compared to the more natural, casual way the TOD fits. Plus I'm not a fan of the snaps. Not complaining though--great jacket overall.

Which leaves . . .

KOTCS - Okay let's go down the list: Guy in costume + cowhide + bloated sleeves + guy in costume . . . er, on second thought, the less said the better! :#: :lol:
The Numenorean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Numenorean »

Holt wrote:

Now THAT'S how he should of looked! An old guy who's been around and you just know you shouldn't mess with him!..putting it politely!

The Raiders jacket is THE jacket to me. Indy's look and character was etched in everyone's memory in those first five minutes!

Great photoshop work Holt!

:TOH:
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

The Numenorean wrote:
Holt wrote:

Now THAT'S how he should of looked! An old guy who's been around and you just know you shouldn't mess with him!..putting it politely!

The Raiders jacket is THE jacket to me. Indy's look and character was etched in everyone's memory in those first five minutes!

Great photoshop work Holt!

:TOH:
I totally agree. That is such an awesome look. If only old Harrison had have worn that outfit. Looks so cool.

Speaking of old Harry, I love the guy, as we all do. I know he is getting on but after watching that Q&A of him with Spielberg and recent interviews, he seems like he has had a stroke or something! Talk about slow and drawn out speech! Nothing like when he's acting or his speech in the past. I would imagine it is frustrating waiting for him to finish a sentence. Or does he still smoke certain substances? I hope he's okay though. Sorry to go off the subject at hand.
bjw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bjw »

_ wrote:Problem? He's about ##lbs heavier. I chose two #'s on purpose and the first on is not a 1 or 2. He wore a 40 in 1980 and a 44 in 1988. After "Witness" he could afford filet over ground chuck. Gotta add girth.
Ha--very true _, but I gotta say, I should hope only to have gained ##lbs by the time I'm that age! :lol: