the aviator look?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

the aviator look?

Post by dresden »

Hey guys, I've noticed that some of you guys like to dress up as indy in full gear, whice isn't really my thing but, because of my love for history I've always been attracted to 'vintage' styles, I always find myself wearing aviation kinda styles, like cheno pants, dress shirts with ties and such. I like the A2 but dislike the knits, so I guess that's why I'm attracted to the indy jacket. When I have my dress pants, shirt & tie , my todds boots and jacket on it screams 8th air force. So my question is what attracts you guys to the jacket? Is it just because you like the movie & fords character and try to emulate that? Or is it that you like more of a vintage look to your style? Ever think about it?
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: the aviator look?

Post by Gater »

At the Finger Lakes Summit, COW member Tym rocks the Aviator look w' sunglasses, pilot shirt and a nice tie. Classy look that works for him. :tup:
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

the aviator look?

Post by 61ButteMT »

A2 knits bother some. Only things I dislike are "pilling" and I also collect watches. Big watches. PITA to wear with knits. Agree with Patt on G1. Knits are different. They are slimmer fit, but rock the aviator look well.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

For me it is all about the clothes. A friend asked me yesterday if I was excited that Harrison Ford was putting out the new cowboy movie cuz they knew he was my favorite actor...and I told them ; he's not my favorite actor. He's really good and has made some great movies and can create icons out of whatever they give him but I dont think he is a "great" actor. I loved Raiders cuz of the style of clothing. It was great fun but thru it all, the cast looked great doing what they were doing. And in the end, I am kinda like _...I love jackets. I have more jackets than pant and shirts and shoes put together. Especially love those nice long frock coats and cloaks...just alittle harder to wear so
etimes than an Indy jacket. My holy grail is to find a Victorian Inverness formal coat. Am considering having to have Magnoli give it a shot as I havent found exactly what I am looking for. But yeah, I love the vintage look. Very classy look in any situation.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I'm a history guy just like you. I used to dislike the knit cuffs and waist of the A2, but I got used to it, and see that it has definite functional advantages over the Indy jacket. I own an Indy jacket in large part because I'm a gearhead, but I wear it because the A2 is part of my uniform. I don't want to feel like I'm wearing my uniform all day every day, and the Indy jacket is just different enough.
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

_ wrote:Yeah, Ford's really a hi-octane character actor. So was John Wayne and Clark Gable. As he gets older we will see it even more. Check him out in C&A. That's Walter Brennan all the way!
Going from "My wife! My family !" type of characters to " My poney, my rifle and me " ... :-k

TMFR :Plymouth:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

It goes back too far for me to call. Do I love leathers becuase of all the Iconic characters that wear them, or do I find them characters cooler because they wear leather? :-k
Leather is definatly a Hollywood hero staple thats for sure. :TOH:

ZOLTAR
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I'm not into Indy's costume - all that brown and beige looks like an outfit Frazier's dad would wear. If it were in grey scale, I'd prefer it. I do like the jacket. Loved it at once. Agree on knits. Hate them. Don't like most bike jackets or anything with too many zips/flaps going on.

Before the internet and before I knew anything about leather jackets (29 years ago) the Indy jacekt seemed like the ultimate leather jacket. I think it's classic design look is still cool. These days I'm attreacted to a good half-belt like Tony Nowak's Surrogates jacket. I've also out of love with the Indy cargo pockets. Since I'm not the kind of guy who carries things around with him, apart from money and keys, I simply don't need those large pockets.

Oh, and I love hats, but that's another sotry.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

My 2 cents: I like the look of the leather jacket and fedora together, and often wear them together (plenty of pics on here). But sometimes I like to evoke the aviator look with these WWII aviator shades from US Wings and either my G&B goatskin...
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w325 ... 0203-1.jpg

or my US Wings antique cowhide Hero:
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w325 ... 0226-2.jpg

I don't really like the knit sleeves or bottom of A2 jackets, so the Indy style works better while still evoking the spirit of an A2. Makes any sense?

:TOH: ,
NS
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

The first movie jacket that I recall really making an impression on me was this one

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGa ... beatty.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later, the Raiders jacket convinced me that I had to have one. Today I have 2 leather jackets - an A2 and an Indy, both goatskin.

Nuff said.

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In growing up in Southern Ohio in a steel mill and BIG railroad town during the 50's and 60's, the leather jacket/fedora/sunglasses combination is one I saw on an almost daily basis.

So, my practice of wearing said combination pre-dates Indy by decades out of habit, and more than likely most all of THOSE men were WW2 vets that just brought their gear home from the war and wore it to work, as those two industries didn't really supply their workers with personal safety gear at the time......so the leather jackets came in handy.

Regards! Michaelson
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

I just like leather jackets in general, although not every specific style. Before the first Indiana Jones movie, I wore G-1s and generic "flight jackets", and department store "James Dean" and "Perfecto" style motorcycle jackets. I really liked Indy's jacket in the movies, but it was years before I knew they were available to buy. I do like the lack of knit cuffs and waist band, I think it makes the jacket look classier somehow, as does the slightly longer length.
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

Is it just me , the people I've seen wearing A-2's lately are wearing them too big, they look more like coats than jackets, when I look at photos of pilots from WWll they look much slimmer, much more fitted. But the ones I see nowadays look baggy and way too big. Anyone notice that to?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

dresden wrote:Is it just me , the people I've seen wearing A-2's lately are wearing them too big, they look more like coats than jackets, when I look at photos of pilots from WWll they look much slimmer, much more fitted. But the ones I see nowadays look baggy and way too big. Anyone notice that to?
A look through vintage war photos will reveal that issue A2's were worn both fitted and loose depending on the man. I've seen many A2's fit baggy like they do today. As to the best look for an A2, I think they should fit loose but not baggy. Should be able to fit a sweater underneath and the knits should go cover the belt IMO. For my money, only Steve McQueen made the A2 look cool.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

the aviator look?

Post by 61ButteMT »

Problem is modern A2's. They're cut big. As in big, fatter American style to accommodate larger folks.
Look at accurate repro's. They're indeed slimmer cut in body and arms.
Also, it depends on the contract of A2. Some earlier models were trimmer yet.
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

You can't get much cooler than Steve mcqueen, except maybe james dean or marlon brando
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That's true. Many of the repos are cut big. ;)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Gorak wrote:For me it is all about the clothes. A friend asked me yesterday if I was excited that Harrison Ford was putting out the new cowboy movie cuz they knew he was my favorite actor...and I told them ; he's not my favorite actor. He's really good and has made some great movies and can create icons out of whatever they give him but I dont think he is a "great" actor. I loved Raiders cuz of the style of clothing. It was great fun but thru it all, the cast looked great doing what they were doing. And in the end, I am kinda like _...I love jackets. I have more jackets than pant and shirts and shoes put together. Especially love those nice long frock coats and cloaks...just alittle harder to wear so
etimes than an Indy jacket. My holy grail is to find a Victorian Inverness formal coat. Am considering having to have Magnoli give it a shot as I havent found exactly what I am looking for. But yeah, I love the vintage look. Very classy look in any situation.
I know what you mean about victorian styles, etc. Sent you a pm. W>
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

CM wrote:That's true. Many of the repos are cut big. ;)
If you want a slimmer fitting A2, you need one that's made to Milspec. You never know what you're gonna get with a department store A2. Even on US Wings website, the majority of the jackets are inspired by the A2, but they're neither a historical reproduction or a current issue design.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I'm rather pleased with you...

Also, I thought I recalled that USWings supplies the military currently, and has for quite some time... :-k
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yes, US Wings does supply the military with current spec A-2 jackets. If you want a truly vintage cut or WWII historical A-2, then you need to go to places that specialize in them, as mentioned. But the current A-2 pattern for the military is a more generous cut garment than the originals were and include features that were absent in WWII jackets, again, as mentioned.

Also keep in mind that during the war, they had standard sized jackets they issued. If a 40 regular fit too tight or was too loose or too short, tough, because that was what you got. Period. If it fit you perfectly, you were lucky. Heck, I've even seen pictures of Jimmy Stewart in a jacket that looked way too small for his arms!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification. :TOH: I assume they're millspec, though? :lol: ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Don't the 2000 series jackets also have side entry pockets positioned behind the standard patch pockets?

Regards! Michaelson
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

the aviator look?

Post by 61ButteMT »

Michaelson wrote:Don't the 2000 series jackets also have side entry pockets positioned behind the standard patch pockets?

Regards! Michaelson
They do. Bah humbug!
Lazy modern aviators :)
J/K! But yes, I don't like those...
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

I'll be honest, the draw for me is the idea that an article of clothing says, "I do interesting, tough, and adventurous things!" When I see Indy's jacket, I am most attracted to the idea that it is special without being special...if that makes any sense. In other words, he bought it because it was durable, well made, and did the job from a purely pragmatic standpoint. He keeps wearing it because it simply holds up and doesn't let him down. That's usually what I'm looking for in a garment (shoes/boots, gloves, hats, etc) and, honestly, pretty much everything I own. I want to buy one of whatever that thing is and then have it last (as beat up as it may be) until I die. I'm willing to pay extra for quality, I just want it to last. I find that I keep gravitating towards the clothing, baggage, notebooks, pens, etc, etc from the 1920s, 30s, and 40s because...well...that stuff just *lasted*. It was almost always made with care by hand to be darned near indestructible. You just don't find that nowadays in our "disposable" society. Craftsmanship is a dying concept. That, and it just looks cool.

The problem for me is that the Indy character nailed this idea to a T. So, I covet just about everything in his possession. Where the problem comes in is that if you wear what is a very highly practical outfit, people just think you are wearing a costume. *sigh* :roll:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

_ wrote:Yep! Soldiers are NOT supposed to put their hands in their pockets... :rolling:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

_, I welcome the correction.

US Wings does say they provide uniforms for the US military, but only one or two of the jackets are the exact style the Air Force issues. My own issued jacket has the side entry pockets that are hidden behind the patch pockets (like Indy's jacket). Other people I know simply have the patch pockets with no side entries at all. I haven't seen anyone with the additional slits behind the patch pocket like the 2000 model shows. As far as I know, all the current jackets are goatskin. If you take all that into consideration, I think that leaves only two out of fourteen (excluding children's and painted jackets) US Wings A2's that you'll actually find aircrew wearing.

I can also attest to the whole "hands in the pockets" thing. A friend of mine was stopped by a general in the middle of the winter because he was walking with his hands in the side entry hand warmer pockets. If you're not allowed to put your hands in there, what exactly are they for?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
_ wrote:Yep! Soldiers are NOT supposed to put their hands in their pockets... :rolling:

... Or wear tights :?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Please no Robin Hood! Please no Robin Hood!
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

the aviator look?

Post by 61ButteMT »

Mark Brody wrote:... If you're not allowed to put your hands in there, what exactly are they for?
Keys to your planes?
Cig's?
Bubble gum?
Retirees?

:)
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

We just took a trip up the mountain yesterday and my wife commented that I looked like I belong in a WWII bomber and not on the ski slopes which, of course, I took as a compliment:

I think the G-1 in goat and Ray Ban 3447 sunglasses go well the hat (in this case my old Akubra Fed). Also, the vintage flannels performed brilliantly in the snow!

Kind regards,
Magnoli
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Looks good as usual Mags. No gloves though?
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

I'm diggin your style magnoli, very 1930's ish
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

the aviator look?

Post by 61ButteMT »

Looks great. G1 rocks. Nice with a scarf too. Who needs gloves. Never used 'em, not even in 0°f skiing.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Thanks guys! I had a pair of fleece-lined tan leather gloves stuffed into my jacket cargo pocket. I really only needed them for the snowball fight and snowman replicating. ;)