New Whip Toss Trick Vid!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New Whip Toss Trick Vid!

Post by TREX »

T.Rex, just trying out some Whip toss tricks in the park-Let me know what ya all think??
I'm using this Custom Terry Jacka Bullwhip, Very nice ballance & flow, I really like this whip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ronkp8SWg7g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: New Whip Toss Trick Vid!

Post by rawvoodoo »

Wow that was pretty darn amazing. I wish I could move my Jacka like that, but Im nowhere close.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I think I need to make a long 12 inch handled whip like that, maybe I could do some fun stuff similar :lol:

REALLY NICE. I could get 8 ft. of 3/8 " for $5, plus $5 shipping, I've always wanted to try, I say why not.

Keep up the vids, I really enjoy yours :TOH:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

MIND = BLOWN!!!

Very impressive Todd! :clap:

:TOH:

Allen
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

rawvoodoo wrote:Wow that was pretty darn amazing. I wish I could move my Jacka like that, but Im nowhere close.
Thank you for the compliment!, Honestly I'm on a quest to see how good I can get by practicing an hour everyday for a whole year, I'm up to day 189 Today!! & I guess its starting to show a little, so that old saying, "practice makes perfect" might not be too far from the truth! So don't worry & keep on practicing!
-T.Rex
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

riku1914 wrote:I think I need to make a long 12 inch handled whip like that, maybe I could do some fun stuff similar :lol:

REALLY NICE. I could get 8 ft. of 3/8 " for $5, plus $5 shipping, I've always wanted to try, I say why not.

Keep up the vids, I really enjoy yours :TOH:
Thank You!
-T.Rex
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:MIND = BLOWN!!!

Very impressive Todd! :clap:

Allen
Thanks Allen!
every compliment really helps me want to practice more & learn more-
Thanks, T.Rex
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

nice routine and great sound!!!
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

That's some really smooth cracking!

With one whip, you can also mess around with tossing it under the leg and around the neck. This spring I was messing around with catching the whip behind my back.

-Adam
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

winrichwhips wrote:That's some really smooth cracking!

With one whip, you can also mess around with tossing it under the leg and around the neck. This spring I was messing around with catching the whip behind my back.

-Adam
Thank You Adam! That means allot coming from you man! I have been messing with catching it behind my back but, I'm not fluid enough yet- I haven't tried around neck or under the leg yet, but it's on the list now- I also was messing with flipping it in the air & catch it on the popper end & then flipping it back to my hand, I got it to work a couple of times but it looks like lots more practice ahead of me- Thank you again for the kind words, it will only fuel my fire to learn more stuff!!!
-T.Rex
CatsMeow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatsMeow »

Wow, that’s pretty amazing TREX! :clap: I love the acrobatics and the smoothness of your bullwhip cracking ability and to be complimented by Adam “Crack” Winrich is something to be proud of!!! That’s a pretty cool bullwhip you’re using too, it reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffers bullwhip in Batman Returns, very smooth and fluid.

Did you take classes or train with anyone to help you learn how to crack whips? You almost look too good to have learned all on your own, especially after only 189 days! and please take that as a total compliment :mrgreen:
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

CatsMeow wrote:Wow, that’s pretty amazing TREX! :clap: I love the acrobatics and the smoothness of your bullwhip cracking ability and to be complimented by Adam “Crack” Winrich is something to be proud of!!! That’s a pretty cool bullwhip you’re using too, it reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffers bullwhip in Batman Returns, very smooth and fluid.

Did you take classes or train with anyone to help you learn how to crack whips? You almost look too good to have learned all on your own, especially after only 189 days! and please take that as a total compliment :mrgreen:
Thank You! I do take it as a compliment! & I'm also very flattered that Adam took the time to to write me with such kind words-
I've had a bullwhip since I was 11yrs old- after I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. I taught my self to crack it way back when, but only a couple of different ways & not too good- I have had one day of instruction from Dan Borton (Awesome) at the 2010 Summit, but other than that & occasionally watching Anthony Delongis, Mike Murphy's, & Simon Martins DVD's & a touch of you tube Adam Winrich how to vids & some other talented whip people on the web- I guess I am pretty much self taught. I am very far from where I would like to be, which is why I post lots of videos. This helps me get input, motivation to keep on going & a visual log of my journey too- I have to say it is really working! Everything is starting to flow much better now, Although I'm miles from when I started, I'm still miles from where I want to be, but I believe every little comment & compliment really helps on the journey, So thank you again for your kind words.

-T.Rex
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

Most impressive Todd.

:whip:
Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lukes Roommate »

That is some incredible work!
I'm blown away and have added that video to my rotation for my learning journey.
Thanks for posting!!!

Ryan
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

Lukes Roommate wrote:That is some incredible work!
I'm blown away and have added that video to my rotation for my learning journey.
Thanks for posting!!!

Ryan
Ryan,
Thank You soo much!
I'm very flattered to be a part of your rotation for learnig :)

-T.Rex
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

T. Rex,

You inspired me to get off my butt and put together a video about some of the whip tossing routines that I've been working on. I'm a little rusty with some of them since I haven't worked on them for a couple months, but I think most of it came out looking all right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ix6aFTCZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Adam
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Really nice Adam, that's some crazy stuff :shock: I need to make some nylon stockwhips for myself and get into two handed stuff :D

Todd, you going to try some of the stuff Adam showed?
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

winrichwhips wrote:T. Rex,

You inspired me to get off my butt and put together a video about some of the whip tossing routines that I've been working on. I'm a little rusty with some of them since I haven't worked on them for a couple months, but I think most of it came out looking all right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ix6aFTCZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Adam
Adam,
Way to leave my head "smoking" :lol: , that was INCREDIBLE!! :TOH: :H:

Todd, Adam,
You guys are Too Much,

Allen
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

winrichwhips wrote:T. Rex,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ix6aFTCZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Adam
-Looking all right?? They look amazing, like always!!! Thank You for posting that, & thanks for continuing to post stuff- your vids are always entertaining & filled with cool stuff to learn & to strive for! That gives me allot more things to work now! Thank Again for sharing Adam! Keep on Rockin those whips!!!!

-T.Rex
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

OH MY GOD!!!!!! You guys are amazing! Y'all make me feel like a total whip newb!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I'm now convinced that Adam and TRex are secretly members of the X-Men. :shock:
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

kwad wrote:I'm now convinced that Adam and TRex are secretly members of the X-Men. :shock:
LOL! You have just made my day!!!

-T.Rex
CatsMeow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatsMeow »

Thanks TREX, A day with dan borton explains a lot. He was one of the whipmasters who taught me :lol: and not only is he a very talented and knowledgeable whip coach hes also extreamly patient which was really important with me :oops: hehehe. I’ve been watching more of your videos and can tell how much you put into it! I just love the energy and fun you bring into whip cracking, Those back flips and summersaults while cracking in midair are so fresh and really cool! It makes me wish I stuck with gymnastics LOL but your inspiring me to practice harder. It also looks like you have an awesome collection of many different whips too, Love it!

Adam Crack your videos are always boss! :clap: Once more you show why you are the multiple competitive record holder you are but when are you going to start adding super extreme back flips to your routines like TREX??? Hehehe the most whips cracks while spiraling though the air! :shock:
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

CatsMeow wrote:Thanks TREX, A day with dan borton explains a lot. He was one of the whipmasters who taught me :lol: and not only is he a very talented and knowledgeable whip coach hes also extreamly patient which was really important with me :oops: hehehe. I’ve been watching more of your videos and can tell how much you put into it! I just love the energy and fun you bring into whip cracking, Those back flips and summersaults while cracking in midair are so fresh and really cool! It makes me wish I stuck with gymnastics LOL but your inspiring me to practice harder. It also looks like you have an awesome collection of many different whips too, Love it!

Adam Crack your videos are always boss! :clap: Once more you show why you are the multiple competitive record holder you are but when are you going to start adding super extreme back flips to your routines like TREX??? Hehehe the most whips cracks while spiraling though the air! :shock:
Thank you again for all the nice words!!, as far as flipping & Cracking- when I did my firs back flip out of a tree with two whips, I was also trying to motivate Clark Bynum threw Facebook to do some whip cracking on his trampoline. He did a back flip & cracked a whip too & sent me a vid - I'm telling you watch out for that Bynum kid, He is an amazing gymnast, diver, & Whip Cracker & really creative- that little kid is young & has allot of time on his side too!! I see some great things that will come from that crazy kid!! I can't wait!!- & of Course World record holder Mr. Winrich is out of this world with the dedication he has to the craft. I really don't see his records being broken any time soon unless he decides to breaks em himself!

Any Way, it's nice to hear I have in some way inspired you to practice harder, that just makes me want to practice harder too! You should video tape yourself when you practice sometime, It really helps to see what your doing right or wrong- I think it is an invaluable tool, & you can see how much you are improving too-
So when your ready, you can post a vid for us!
So Keep on Crackin!

-T.Rex
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Keep it up TREX, I think after I start making my whips a lot better I'm going to work @ practicing 30 minutes a day for a year. I

know I can't manage 1 hour a day, especially with heat indexes @ 110f during the summer., but 30 maybe.
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

riku1914 wrote:Keep it up TREX, I think after I start making my whips a lot better I'm going to work @ practicing 30 minutes a day for a year. I

know I can't manage 1 hour a day, especially with heat indexes @ 110f during the summer., but 30 maybe.
Thats Awesome! I'm glad to hear your doing that! Holy Cow!! -did you say ...110 degrees??!! Bring lots of water, or make some mini whips to practice indoors by the air conditioner-
You will be surprised how you fast can pick things up just by doing a little bit everyday- Let me know how it goes??-

-T.Rex
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

TREX wrote:
riku1914 wrote:Keep it up TREX, I think after I start making my whips a lot better I'm going to work @ practicing 30 minutes a day for a year. I

Thats Awesome! I'm glad to hear your doing that! Holy Cow!! -did you say ...110 degrees??!! Bring lots of water, or make some mini whips to practice indoors by the air conditioner-
You will be surprised how you fast can pick things up just by doing a little bit everyday- Let me know how it goes??-

-T.Rex
regular temp is 104-105, w/ heat index of 110. The other day a town near here got a heat index of 116. BTW I don't need to bring

water, I practice in my back yard. We live on 4 acres and have plenty of room to crack whips, though I would like being

somewhere a little more... green. When walking on the grass here it sounds like I'm walking on .... something very crunchy.

No matter how much I water at night, I just can't get green to come up in any significant quantities. I've even tried not cracking

in an area for a while and didn't do much good.

I don't know when I'll start the 30 minute thing, if my kangaroo whip that I'm starting soon turns out really well, I'll probably start

with that. Right now I usually practice about 15 minutes a day, and today I finally got arrowhead down. I can do it with a decent

crack on each movement and I now rarely get any tangles in it. I was so happy :D
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

riku1914 wrote:
TREX wrote:

-T.Rex
regular temp is 104-105, w/ heat index of 110. The other day a town near here got a heat index of 116. BTW I don't need to bring

water, I practice in my back yard. We live on 4 acres and have plenty of room to crack whips, though I would like being

somewhere a little more... green. When walking on the grass here it sounds like I'm walking on .... something very crunchy.

No matter how much I water at night, I just can't get green to come up in any significant quantities. I've even tried not cracking

I don't know when I'll start the 30 minute thing, if my kangaroo whip that I'm starting soon turns out really well, I'll probably start

with that. Right now I usually practice about 15 minutes a day, and today I finally got arrowhead down. I can do it with a decent

crack on each movement and I now rarely get any tangles in it. I was so happy :D
Nice, I would kill to have a backyard, green or not! I have to go to different parks all the time to practice, although that does get my lazy butt out of the apartment everyday- Awesome, you got the Arrow head! That's Awesome! I don't have that one yet, I have to say I'm a little jealous- Any way keep me updated on your progress & I'll do the same-

-T.Rex
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

TREX wrote:
riku1914 wrote:
TREX wrote:

-T.Rex

Nice, I would kill to have a backyard, green or not! I have to go to different parks all the time to practice, although that does get my lazy butt out of the apartment everyday- Awesome, you got the Arrow head! That's Awesome! I don't have that one yet, I have to say I'm a little jealous- Any way keep me updated on your progress & I'll do the same-

-T.Rex
Having a backyard is VERY nice. I even made a couple of bike ramps last year/winter. Although there are some areas I can

crack my whip, the rest is just bare dirt with rootless grass covering it. It hasn't rained here in TWO months, yes months.

Everything is dying.

I found arrowhead much easier on a bullwhip than a stock whip, and much easier on my 8' bullwhip than my 24 plait 5.5 ft.

bullwhip. I don't know why, I guess it is just since it rolls out longer and gives me that extra half a second to think.

What I found useful was just making sure I rolled my wrist exactly correctly, and put a bit of force behind the wrist roll, more than

I usually would. When I didn't do this the whip moved too slow and tangled on itself.

But the biggest thing was just making sure the bottom of my wrist was facing down when in the forward crack, and facing up

when doing the side cracks.

Other than that, just keep working at it. I've practiced it for about 5 minutes a day for the past week or so, and then finally got,

and since I'm very new to this I'm sure if you just work on it some you'll get it. Keep us updated with videos and stuff, I know

I've said this before but I really do like them :TOH:
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Great vids, both of you guys! I've been practicing tossing the whip around the neck too, but it seems like it might be harder with an Indy whip than a stockwhip or longer-handled bullwhip.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Todd, congratulations on the video! I just had the chance to see it, and I really like the way you incorporated the cracks, the tosses and the moves. It all looks very daring and amazing.

Aldo.
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

Marhala wrote:Todd, congratulations on the video! I just had the chance to see it, and I really like the way you incorporated the cracks, the tosses and the moves. It all looks very daring and amazing.

Aldo.
Thank You so much Aldo, I really apreciate the compliments- It makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere!
Thanks!
-T.Rex
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Well I was going to go out and crack today but...

Record temps today, hit 113 here. That's 113 actual degrees, not heat index.
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

riku1914 wrote:Well I was going to go out and crack today but...

Mini whips, & airconditioning!
-T.Rex
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Lookin' good

Kyle
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

TREX wrote:
riku1914 wrote:Well I was going to go out and crack today but...

Mini whips, & airconditioning!
-T.Rex
I'm sure other people wouldn't really... appreciate it :lol:
sylviarosat
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by sylviarosat »

Very good!you make it look very effortless that's good that's the key to good whipcarcking!I especially like the move you make a 0.29 second.sort of side flick then trwow the whip in the air in the same move!This is really nice!I tried it myself but couln't get the crack and the lift,or the crack or the lift!I was also wondering if it would not be easier with whips a little longer then mine.I have a pair of performance hybrid 6 foot by Lauren Wickline,so i'm sure it'll work but maybe with a longer whip it would be easier to learn as the movement will let me more time i guess!
But this is really nice whip cracking and of course beautiful whip!:-)posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=52524#
Keep up practicing you're doing great!
Best regards!
Sylvia
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

sylviarosat wrote:Very good!you make it look very effortless that's good that's the key to good whipcarcking!I especially like the move you make a 0.29 second.sort of side flick then trwow the whip in the air in the same move!This is really nice!I tried it myself but couln't get the crack and the lift,or the crack or the lift!I was also wondering if it would not be easier with whips a little longer then mine.I have a pair of performance hybrid 6 foot by Lauren Wickline,so i'm sure it'll work but maybe with a longer whip it would be easier to learn as the movement will let me more time i guess!
But this is really nice whip cracking and of course beautiful whip!:-)posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=52524#
Keep up practicing you're doing great!
Best regards!
Sylvia
Hello Sylvia, Thank you for the compliments!! That means allot coming from a performer such as your self! You can do these whip toss tricks with any type of whip- I've done them with 9,7,6.5, & 3 foot whips with varying handle lengths in nylon & roo hide, & also with my Hybrids as well! It's all just a matter of timing & knowing how your whip is weighted- But you are correct! the longer handle bullwhips are a little easier to flip because the weight is closer to the center of the whip, & makes the whip wanna stay in one place when you toss it up- I have been messing around with a couple more variations & even tossing the whip up so it spins two times in the air before I catch it again- I'll post when I can, but I would love what you are doing & I see you are learning allot from Mr. Adam too- I love that you learn so fast & are so motivated to perform- I hope someday I can see your stunt show in person!
keep posting your videos, they are very inspiring! They motivate me to practice & come up with new stuff too!
Thanks Sylvia,
-T.Rex
sylviarosat
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by sylviarosat »

Well Todd i can return you the thank you for the compliment too:-)
A little late from the post i made i went training(unfortunatly not long enough ,because no time)but better less then none ,and i could actually do the side flick with the crack and throw the whip in the air!Now i start feeling the move:-) it's a cool move i like it!i will post a video when i have the time so you will be able to see if i'm doing it correctly.I 'm looking forward to your video where you turn the whip two times in the air!sounds cool!I like also the backflip with the whip!personnaly i'm not a "jumper" i'm afraid that once i learned to do a backflip ,frontflip,fliflac,or that kind of jumps ,that with the time i would loose the respect for the trick and made a mistake a then fall badly...it does happen so quick.My boyfriend did last year that experience ,he's a very good trained performer and he does jumping since he's small but last year we was with a couple of friends chilling out and they ask him to show a little bitt of jump routine ,then he went to make a few jump then ...i don't know ...in the air he did something not correct not like usuall and then he fell on the head,he was lucky because was on the grass but could have been a lot worse...one time of innatention is enough to be bad ... so that's the kind of thing i'm afraid in jumping and probably why i will not learn to do it...but in the same time another part of me telll me do it!because it looks really cool!
Yes we are very lucky that Adam is taking the time to help us coming better he's a great great whipcracker and very kind person from the very little i know him.But i found very gerenous from him to take the time doing these videos and sharing his knowledge!
Well,i wish you a good day!
Sylvia
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

sylviarosat wrote:Well Todd i can return you the thank you for the compliment too:-)
A little late from the post i made i went training(unfortunatly not long enough ,because no time)but better less then none ,and i could actually do the side flick with the crack and throw the whip in the air!Now i start feeling the move:-) it's a cool move i like it!i will post a video when i have the time so you will be able to see if i'm doing it correctly.I 'm looking forward to your video where you turn the whip two times in the air!sounds cool!I like also the backflip with the whip!personnaly i'm not a "jumper" i'm afraid that once i learned to do a backflip ,frontflip,fliflac,or that kind of jumps ,that with the time i would loose the respect for the trick and made a mistake a then fall badly...it does happen so quick.My boyfriend did last year that experience ,he's a very good trained performer and he does jumping since he's small but last year we was with a couple of friends chilling out and they ask him to show a little bitt of jump routine ,then he went to make a few jump then ...i don't know ...in the air he did something not correct not like usuall and then he fell on the head,he was lucky because was on the grass but could have been a lot worse...one time of innatention is enough to be bad ... so that's the kind of thing i'm afraid in jumping and probably why i will not learn to do it...but in the same time another part of me telll me do it!because it looks really cool!
Yes we are very lucky that Adam is taking the time to help us coming better he's a great great whipcracker and very kind person from the very little i know him.But i found very gerenous from him to take the time doing these videos and sharing his knowledge!
Well,i wish you a good day!
Sylvia
Sylvia, I have been flippin since I was 12 years old, I've had a little more practice at it than you- so don't be afraid of it -just take your time it'll come to you soon enuff- I have been doing a side flick toss & catch right into another side flick it's pretty cool & lots of fun- Also I'm getting better at double flippin it in the air forwards & backwards! I'm trying to get another vid together with all that stuff in it, but I'm having computer issues :( so I'll post eventually as soon as I can! Keep on Cracking! Oh yah Today is my 200th day in a row of Whip Cracking everyday for an hour! My goal is a whole year! I'm over half way there already!! Any way keep in touch, & keep up the awesome Whippin!
-T.Rex
sylviarosat
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by sylviarosat »

Hi Todd,
waow 12 years old ,my mom wouln't had probably let me have a whip at 12 :D what did give you the envy to start whicracking?
My first whip was my mother which baught it to me,after showing to her my interess in having a whip,but it was a very long whip and whith a rotative handle not very good for begginer.but it was not very good quality i would even say almost object of decoration,more than really whip used for cracking.Then in 2008 i bought a bullwhip from a guy in switzerland who did a kind of collection.i started to learn the basic cracks with that one then last year i bought a pair of hybrid performance from Lauren Wickline!My first really good whips!
Congratulations for your 200 hours!you say your goal is a year...and after?why a year?
I'm looking forward to the new video!
Have a nice day!
Sylvia
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Great video!

Can you guys that can use these whips efficiently with both hands tell me if you're right handed, left or ambidextrous? I'm right hand and was wondering if you trained yourself to use both hands. I only have a 10' whip so I obviously won't ever be as quick like with a short whip but using it in my left hand feels so strange and far less accurate even though I can crack it. I've only recently obtained it.
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

sylviarosat wrote:Hi Todd,
waow 12 years old ,my mom wouln't had probably let me have a whip at 12 :D what did give you the envy to start whicracking?
My first whip was my mother which baught it to me,after showing to her my interess in having a whip,but it was a very long whip and whith a rotative handle not very good for begginer.but it was not very good quality i would even say almost object of decoration,more than really whip used for cracking.Then in 2008 i bought a bullwhip from a guy in switzerland who did a kind of collection.i started to learn the basic cracks with that one then last year i bought a pair of hybrid performance from Lauren Wickline!My first really good whips!
Congratulations for your 200 hours!you say your goal is a year...and after?why a year?
I'm looking forward to the new video!
Have a nice day!
Sylvia
Sylvia,
Wow, you really just got started around 2008!! Very impressive!!! you have come really far & sooo Fast too! Keep up the Awesom Work!!!!!

I got my first whip around 12 years old witch is when I started taking gymnastic classes too! I learned how to backflip long before I ever really learned any good whip cracking technics- I started messing around with a cheap bullwhip my dad bought me from a local flea market, after I saw Raiders of the lost ark. I used the living #### out of that whip! I only learned a couple of whip cracks & not very well either, but I could whip it around tree branches & swing on them! (I only weighed like 80 pounds at the time LOL) over time I kept getting new whips after the old ones would fall apart, I also had swivel handle bullwhip that I thought was the best whip you could have- (I was wrong ) Any way I moved to LA around 94 & made friends with a guy that was into bullwhips too! some where between 2005 & 2007 he told me you could buy a indy whip from the same guy that made them for the Indy movies -David Morgan! He had just bought a 10 ft Indy whip from Morgan & one from Paul Stenhouse- These whips looked better than any whip I'd ever owned or had seen in person! I save some money & bought a 8 ft David Morgan, but it was so pricy I decided to get a more affordable ten footer Whip from a guy I had never herd of named Joe Srtain ( who had studied under David Morgan) & made a really nice whips too- I was very happy with both whips but really started using the Joe Strain allot! Any way my friend also introduced me to a instructional whip video with a guy I'd never herd of before named Anthony DeLongis, so I borrow the tapes & learned a little bit more until my vhs player ate the tape :( So I kinda stopped whippin for a while. A couple a years later I was working on set of Cowboys & aliens, & Lauren the Art director who wore an Indy whip on her hip at all times (that she got as a gift for working on Indy 4, & Anthony Delongis taught her some fancy Whip cracks) Started whip Cracking on set & she was doing cracks I had never seen before -so I asked her to show me some moves & she did!! After that I got all excited about whips again, & started buying more whips to try different lengths plait & styles out. I wound up talking to Paul Noland over at Midwest allot & he mentioned that I should goto an Indy Summit where Dan Borton was teaching basic Whip Cracking! so My girlfriend & I both went & learned a ton of great basic stuff, & that lit my fire to learn more I started buying a bunch of dvds on two handed whip cracking & anything els related to whip Cracking, started buying even more whips to figure out what worked best for me the best- And after seeing you tube vids of Adam Winrich doing crazy awesome Whip Cracking I herd Adam Winrich got really good because he took a year to just focus on Whip Cracking alone- and take aleast an hour everyday to do so ( I'm sure if I'm not quite right on those details I'm sure Adam will correct me) , I was already practicing an hour a day pretty much anyway, so I said what the heck, I'll do this for a whole year & see where I am after that! I guess I really don't have a master plan right now as far as Whip Cracking goes, but I'm open to ideas & I still do a little stunt work now & again but really I just love whip Cracking so Im' just gonna keep on keepin on!

Please keep in touch, I really enjoy all of your amazing physical artistry, Whip Cracking & stunt work! You Rock!

-T.Rex

P.S. sorry, that was so long winded :)
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

lantzn wrote:Great video!

Can you guys that can use these whips efficiently with both hands tell me if you're right handed, left or ambidextrous? I'm right hand and was wondering if you trained yourself to use both hands. I only have a 10' whip so I obviously won't ever be as quick like with a short whip but using it in my left hand feels so strange and far less accurate even though I can crack it. I've only recently obtained it.
It really helps to have a matched pair of Whips to practice two handed stuff- I would recommend a pair of Performance Hybrids from MidWestWhips.com These are perfect for learning two handed tricks they are light responsive very inexpensive & you can use them on wet grass too! But if not no worries, I only had a 10 Indy whip when I started trying to use my left hand (I'm Right Handed of course) I would do one crack on my right & then switch to my left & just go back & fourth till It started felling comfortable- It just takes a little time & patience-

If you do get a matched pair it really helps to do you cracks with both hands at the same time to sort of train you left to follow your right. After that feels comfortable you can start to stagger the cracks just a bit until it feels comfortable too. If you just keep slowly doing that slowly you can do both hands at opposite times & it won't feel weird- But It dose take some time so don't get too frustrated, take it slow-

-T.Rex
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

lantzn wrote:Great video!

Get the basics down with your right hand, then teach them to yourself with your left. I've been doing this for about a week now

( learning lefty ) and I'm getting some good stuff down.