Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by jlhampton »

jkeene71,
Absolutely awesome jacket. I'm just curious. What size is yours? ... and another question for you or anyone else out there, how would one measure the sleeve length with them being off the shoulder like they are?

jlhampton
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

ditto that! Great looking jacket you've got there, jkeene! It gets more supple with use. Enjoy it! :tup:

Nick, Whiskyman, thanks for your contributions. ;)

...interesting grain developing there, Nick!
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Hi all-

I'm interested in a Wested Hero and have some questions about sleeve and back length.

I wear a 44L (US) in jackets, typically.  Accordingly, what size sleeves and back should I order from Wested?

As far as skins, what are everyones thoughts about the most SA skin between the seal brown lamb, seal brown goat or dark brown lamb?

Thanks!
OSK
jkeene71
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkeene71 »

Mine is a size 46. As far as the sleeves I just ordered my regular sleeve length I've had on other Indy jackets. Maybe a half inch or so longer than I'd like but I expect they will shrink up some.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

I can second that, I went with my usual sleeve length and found it a touch longer than my other Westeds. If I ordered another one I'd knock off half an inch.
:tup:

ZOLTAR
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

So I received my Hero in "Crispe" last night. First impression is it's a very beautifully made jacket- great attention to detail. It's a great design with the shoulders dropping a bit, the front and back are close to the same length. My overall impression is this cut wears a bit long if you're used to Wested's Raiders or ROLA.

Now about the leather, it is definitely very grainy and that grain is quite large. The color is a little towards "milk chocolate" rather than the darker color of a Todd's or Wested's dark brown lambskin. It's a nice mid-weight leather, not as heavy as my Nowak goat, but way heavier than Wested's dark brown lambskin. It feels more like sheep than lamb, sturdier - if that makes any sense.

I am very impressed. When worn, it has a beautiful slouch and drape, and the overall impression is of an expertly crafted and expensive piece. When I get home tonight I'll try to snap some pics of it with a Todd's Bantu and a Wested dark brown lambskin for comparison.

The short message though, it is GRAINY. If you don't like so much grain, I'd go with either the shrunken lamb (when it's restocked) or the dark goat (which I may check out myself). But the other message is they are a really good cut, and the workmanship is excellent. I love this jacket. Excellent job Wested!
sofianeomari
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by sofianeomari »

Tibor wrote:So I received my Hero in "Crispe" last night. First impression is it's a very beautifully made jacket- great attention to detail. It's a great design with the shoulders dropping a bit, the front and back are close to the same length. My overall impression is this cut wears a bit long if you're used to Wested's Raiders or ROLA.

Now about the leather, it is definitely very grainy and that grain is quite large. The color is a little towards "milk chocolate" rather than the darker color of a Todd's or Wested's dark brown lambskin. It's a nice mid-weight leather, not as heavy as my Nowak goat, but way heavier than Wested's dark brown lambskin. It feels more like sheep than lamb, sturdier - if that makes any sense.

I am very impressed. When worn, it has a beautiful slouch and drape, and the overall impression is of an expertly crafted and expensive piece. When I get home tonight I'll try to snap some pics of it with a Todd's Bantu and a Wested dark brown lambskin for comparison.

The short message though, it is GRAINY. If you don't like so much grain, I'd go with either the shrunken lamb (when it's restocked) or the dark goat (which I may check out myself). But the other message is they are a really good cut, and the workmanship is excellent. I love this jacket. Excellent job Wested!
Thank you. :D

Sofiane ;)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I'd lean towards no. It's not competion weight cowhide or anything, but it's substantially heavier than Wested's regular dark brown lambskin. All things being relative, it may still seem light on a big frame, but from what I've seen, the new goat may well be the light-weight way to go.

Now if you want grain, step right up. This is the lightest grainy stuff I've had. I can imagine Ms. Nadoolman taking an iron to a damp copy to try to tone it down; may be really close to that. It has the right seam thickness, straps with k-stitching, and it's supple. I'll need to hang it out for a bit to let the fold wrinkles out. I'd see if they wouldn't mind just rolling it up instead to ship it.

The one caution for you is the sleeves are sized to mortals. Because of that, they capture the look perfectly for guys with average arms. They also capture the rounded, off the shoulder slouch because of the smaller arm holes and the way the sleeve is set. I could measure the sleeve bicep when I get home to see if you'd need adjustments.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Thanks for the review, it was very helpful. Don't forget to post pictures of you wearing it so we can see how well it drapes. Also, is the texture of the leather true to what we see on Wested's site?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Thanks for the review, it was very helpful. Don't forget to post pictures of you wearing it so we can see how well it drapes. Also, is the texture of the leather true to what we see on Wested's site?
I'd say it's very close... What you don't get from that website pic is scale (no reference point for size) and the color in person is much warmer to me.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

_ wrote:
Tibor wrote:I could measure the sleeve bicep when I get home to see if you'd need adjustments.
That would be MUCH appreciated - thanks, bud! :TOH:

I'm working on more "mortal" dimensions. My arms are down to a cut 20" Here's a recent (two weeks ago) pic:

/quote]

Well look at you, all pleasant, trim and de-cholesterol-ed.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

_, it has just occurred to me that you could ACTUALLY lift me above your head and throw me a fair distance! You're looking very good in the recent picture! Remember, you're still WAY stronger than I am!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Tibor,

Since you have one of the first in Crispe, we may need ot lean on you just little for a review, which you have given, and maybe some pics? Glad you received what sounds like a very nice jacket. Thinking of ordering one in SL as well.

Guys, glad we have similiar thoughts on the sleeve length issue. There is wisdom in the council of many. :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The de-cholesterol treatment...? :-k How is that different from the water treatment? :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They use low-cal chicken grease. :-k :[
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Chicken grease!!?? Izzat supposed to make your biceps trimmer? :P

...I hate it when my arms swell up like that!
jkeene71
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkeene71 »

Tibor wrote:The one caution for you is the sleeves are sized to mortals. Because of that, they capture the look perfectly for guys with average arms. They also capture the rounded, off the shoulder slouch because of the smaller arm holes and the way the sleeve is set. I could measure the sleeve bicep when I get home to see if you'd need adjustments.

My arms measure 18 1/2 inches and my size 46 is close fitting in the arms but so much that it's uncomfortable. I actually feel it fits just right :)
jkeene71
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkeene71 »

Tibor wrote:My overall impression is this cut wears a bit long if you're used to Wested's Raiders or ROLA.

I also would agree with this. I ordered my Hero a half inch shorter than old Wested Raiders and it's actually about an inch longer
in the front. It's also over two inches longer in the front than my size XL "Bantu wind"
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

One thing that is intriguing about these jackets is that a 25 1/2" to 26" back length in the RoLA fits very well. But due to the different pattern, I need to go around 27" in a LC style, to get a good fit? What is it about the difference in patterns that creates this?

The Hero is cut longer than the RoLA. Mine is 25 1/2" back length, and almost too long for a Raiders jacket.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

All righty... some pics:

Wested dark lamb, Todd's, Wested Hero in Crispe:
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0431.jpg

Wested Hero in Crispe - collar
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0429.jpg

Wested Hero in Crispe - strap
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0426.jpg

Todd's, Crispe, Wested dark lamb - indoors no flash
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0422.jpg

Todd's, Crispe, Wested dark lamb - indoors with flash
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0421.jpg

The arm hole with gusset is about 20-21" and the bicep is about 17". The jacket is a size 44. Sorry , but nobody here to take pics on my back.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Ooh, that's a bit too sci-fi looking for me. Not the grungy dirty looking adventure jacket i remember from 81
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I agree! I'm going to get one in the dark goat like yours... THAT looks the part! (I do like this one for entirely other reasons though... :D

By the way, is yours the new soft goat Peter has listed with the Hero jacket?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

The jacket is fine, I'm just really not crazy about that color. It is a far lighter shade of brown than I was expecting. I'm starting to regret I even purchased this one and not just the authentic lamb. Oh well :? Can we see some shots of you wearing it?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow, me would love some of the crispe.

it's a veg tanned skin so I expect it to darken some with alittle help of the oils over the years.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Here the jacket looks darker. Can someone please tell me what happened to this color?

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

outdoor sunlight - all leather jackets appear lighter.

indoor light - all leather jackets appear darker.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Holt's right on the nose. Now that it's sundown, the leather looks very much like the Wested pic indoors. Remember, the two jackets I put it with are both about the darkest hides out there that can still be called brown. It really is nice, but I wanted people to see the grain and that it's not a really dark brown like some other hides. This hide looks great with khaki's.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I really do like the jacket, very unique and different. I only hope that the color darkens up a lot from usage.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Almost looks russet brown in the sunlight. Thanks for posting these, Tibor! :tup:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I think I just found my piece of hope in regard to my concern for the color. Check out this link about aged vegetable tanned leather.

http://devotism.com/how-to-age-vegetabl ... d-leather/
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Yep, it's a lot easier to get it darker than it is to get it lighter!
Even simple things like the oils in our skin will gradually change a lighter leather darker over time.
That said, Tibor's Crispe is obviously never going to be as dark as the other jackets it's pictured with, but it would be interesting to
see just how it looks in a year or so of regular use. Should look nice!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

agreed ;)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Tundrarider wrote:Hi Tibor,

Is it possible that the shots you posted of Indoor/flash and Indoor/no flash got reversed by mistake?

Just looks that way to me... ;)

Thanks!

Michael :TOH:
:-k Well, maybe... I wouldn't rule that out. :anxious:

It's interesting in that it's very similar to the first jacket Tony Nowak made for me using his old stock shrunken lamb. It's a bit darker than that, and as I sit here, it looks dark brown, and the Todd's looks black. Light is funny stuff. It is nowhere near russet, though. I have a Good Wear A-2 in true russet horsehide, and that's waaaaay lighter than this crispe.

Anyway, it's one of the most comfy jackets ever on me. The droop in the shoulders, gussets, and back pleat give complete freedom of movement... no restrictions and the jacket goes from my first knuckle to my wrist when I bend my arms or move. Some of the Indy jackets made look the part, but don't provide the intended freedom like this one. And again, I'm partially intoxicated by the fit and drape of the leather. It really is nice.

If you're a SA purist, this is definitely not a match for my mind's eye of the leather I saw on the screen. I think the shrunken lamb is very close. That too could be a bit darker. But really, it's just a great jacket to wear around... a bit of Indy, but not so rough and ready as my Nowak goat. That jacket really hits the vibe, but it's a bit less drapey and it is so accurate as to be almost too adventure-worn for civilized society. :TOH: I have a credit for my returned SL, and I may just go with the new goat to see what's what.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Why is it that every time I read the word "crispe" I think of a dessert?

Seriously, those jackets look amazing!
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

_ wrote:
jkeene71 wrote:
Tibor wrote:The one caution for you is the sleeves are sized to mortals. Because of that, they capture the look perfectly for guys with average arms. They also capture the rounded, off the shoulder slouch because of the smaller arm holes and the way the sleeve is set. I could measure the sleeve bicep when I get home to see if you'd need adjustments.

My arms measure 18 1/2 inches and my size 46 is close fitting in the arms but so much that it's uncomfortable. I actually feel it fits just right :)
That's VERY helpful - thanks. Mine measure 20 up top with my chest right at 48. The thing is that I don't want the armpit dropped to accomodate the arms. That ruins the fit. The key is - if he REALLY gets the gussets then the armhole will stay small while allowing a bit of room in the bicep. Capiche?
I dunno if this is helpful to you (and I acknowledge there may be some egg sucking lessons going on), but I'm 47" chest actual size, but it's the size in the shoulders that forces me to get a size 50" from Wested and even then it's a little snug..I know this is a different pattern etc, but just saying..

Ian
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hey jkeene71, nice lookin jacket. Man I'm getting that itchy feelin, like maybe I might try the same way Gorak went, the lightest possible leather in the Hero.

And Cape Cod Huh, let me know if your coming near Portsmouth NH any time soon as I'd love to see one of these up close.

Nice lookin jackets all around.

=P~

Croft :mrgreen:
jkeene71
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkeene71 »

Thanks croft! Yeah if your thinking about getting one I would definately recommend it! Love the pattern and
the leather :D Probably would be really nice in authentic or dark brown lamb too

Maybe heading by your way in a couple of weeks...I'll let you know!
Quindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Quindy »

I followed your discussion regarding the little extra space these jackets provide. I'm a (slightly over) 41" chest and unsure if I should still order a size 40 or already a 42. Any recommandations from you guys would be much appreciated.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Tough call there. 42, if you want a little extra roominess in the chest. This is a case where slightly larger by 1" would be a better choice, jmo. Better slightly larger than slightly smaller.
jkeene71
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkeene71 »

I completely agree with Texan Scott. My chest measures a llittle over 45 and I got a 46
which fits perfect
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Same here... I'm 43" and I ordered a size 44.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Tibor, when can we see some pics with you wearing the Crispe lamb? Just want to get a visual of what it would look like being worn, thanks. :)
Last edited by Bdgsi11 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well, not today... home late, dark, and no photographer... :(
Quindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Quindy »

Thanks for your help, guys. Much appreciated!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Well, my jacket in Crispe lamb just got shipped out today! Does anyone know if DHL delivers on the weekend as I will not be home?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Saturdays, but I don't think they deliver on Sundays.
sofianeomari
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by sofianeomari »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Well, my jacket in Crispe lamb just got shipped out today! Does anyone know if DHL delivers on the weekend as I will not be home?
Really me too, you ordered your jacket the 19/07 ? lol
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

yup..what size did you order?
sofianeomari
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by sofianeomari »

40. :TOH:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

you know, the more that I look at Tibor's photos of his Crispe lamb, it's reminding me of Tony Nowak's shrunken lamb Raiders jacket.
Last edited by Bdgsi11 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.