A bit off topic - Catwoman's whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

A bit off topic - Catwoman's whip

Post by Marhala »

So... the new Batman movie arrives in 2012. I recently learned Anne Hathaway is going to be Catwoman :shock: Does any body know if the character will have a whip? Will it be CGI or real? Who will be the maker? Who will coach her?

I put my money on Joe Strain. :)

ATB,

Aldo.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: A bit off topic - Catwoman's whip

Post by Canuck Digger »

Can't go wrong with Joe, but it's really anyone's guess at this point; you'd be surprised how random these decisions can be!

Franco
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Did my post get delete or what?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Maybe it'll be a mix of whip makers like I've seen happen. For instance on indy 4, didn't ( except for the obvious, terry jacka )

miswestwhips, and david morgan supply whips for it?
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

WhipDude wrote:Did my post get delete or what?
I think it did. I wrote to Bullwhip Borton about it and it seems it got deleted unexplainably. If you don't mind reposting, I'd love to read what you wrote before it was. :D

Franco: You're absolutely right. There are so many factors to take into account apart from the choices production will make that it will be a surprise whoever gets to make the whips (if they're not already made).

Jeremy: Now that I come to think about it, perhaps Midwest Whips will get the part. Maybe Paul will pull some strings with the director... (I've heard they're related) :-$ :- BTW, it was Joe Strain, Terry Jacka and David Morgan who supplied the whips for Indy IV, not Midwest Whips. Paul supplied the snake whips used for Prince Of Persia.

Let's see: Terry Jacka supplied the whips for Michelle Pfeiffer via Anthony De Longis. Joe Strain supplied them for Halle Berry via Western Stage Props... Mmmm...

I think one of the principal characteristics of a whip for Catwoman would be a lighter and fast thong, perhaps a handle about 8-12" at the most. No wristloop, as it wouldn't go well with her agility. Only a bullwhip comes to my mind when i think about Catwoman. Theatrically, it is more appealing on screen. I'd hate if she had a cat-o-nine tails or the like.

Thanks for your posts,

Aldo.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Marhala wrote:
WhipDude wrote:Did my post get delete or what?
I think it did. I wrote to Bullwhip Borton about it and it seems it got deleted unexplainably. If you don't mind reposting, I'd love to read what you wrote before it was. :D

Franco: You're absolutely right. There are so many factors to take into account apart from the choices production will make that it will be a surprise whoever gets to make the whips (if they're not already made).

Jeremy: Now that I come to think about it, perhaps Midwest Whips will get the part. Maybe Paul will pull some strings with the director... (I've heard they're related) :-$ :- BTW, it was Joe Strain, Terry Jacka and David Morgan who supplied the whips for Indy IV, not Midwest Whips. Paul supplied the snake whips used for Prince Of Persia.

Let's see: Terry Jacka supplied the whips for Michelle Pfeiffer via Anthony De Longis. Joe Strain supplied them for Halle Berry via Western Stage Props... Mmmm...

I think one of the principal characteristics of a whip for Catwoman would be a lighter and fast thong, perhaps a handle about 8-12" at the most. No wristloop, as it wouldn't go well with her agility. Only a bullwhip comes to my mind when i think about Catwoman. Theatrically, it is more appealing on screen. I'd hate if she had a cat-o-nine tails or the like.

Thanks for your posts,

Aldo.
http://www.midwestwhips.com/whip%20gall ... index.html

what is this page all about then?
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Mmmm... I'm not really sure. But I'm pretty positive those were not for KOTCS.

Paul: If you're reading this, could you please clear our doubt? [-o<

ATB,

Aldo.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Those were for a German Television show.

Louie
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Oh ok thanks :TOH:
CatsMeow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatsMeow »

Serious Catwoman fangirl here obviously :lol: hehehe. I can’t wait to see this movie and also start working on a new Catwoman costume. I was in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago during Combat Con 2011 and Anthony De Longis was teaching classes and doing a discussion panel, he talked a lot about the projects he was involved with and currently working on but didn’t say anything about the Dark Knight Rises. [Edit] But with all the confidentiality stuff like with Project Genre aka KOTCS I wouldn’t expect them to admit anything until an official announcement.

I’d like to see them use either Northern Whip co. bullwhips or The Australian Whip company whips again. BTW Mr. Jackas whips where used in both Batman Returns and Catwoman. Mr. Strain also made mini bullwhips for Catwoman. :D
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Whoever makes the whips for the new Catwoman, I hope Anne Hathaway has the chops to ues it.
She has some big shoes to fill. Michelle Pfeiffer was great with that whip.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

yes and she also had very large feet....not the foot so much as the toes. :TOH:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I thought she just used her tail... :-k