The Swerford?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The Swerford?

Post by nihil »

Has anyone purchased the Swerford from topsecrethats.com ?
I got the Adventurer, but it's too square and tall for my head shape, and I look really goofy wearing it. The Swerford is listed as being lower and with a smaller brim. I was wondering if it would look vastly different compared to the Adventurer?

(Alternatively, I would like a recommendation for an indy-ish hat that aren't as tall and square looking when viewed from the front, compared to the Christy's Adventurer)
TheSavoryTrim
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation

Re: The Swerford?

Post by TheSavoryTrim »

It doesn't look like the dimensions are dramatically different. The Swerford is only SLIGHTLY stingier/lower than the Adventurer. The Knightsbridge, however, appears to have a somewhat lower crown with a slightly stingier brim.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Just my 2 cents...

The Swerford s*cks. Don't buy it. The Adventurer is better. I understand that they tried to customize their hat to what half a dozen vocal people said it should be. But that's who bought it. Half a dozen. Plus one. Get the Adventurer.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I already got the adventurer, and it's way too high in the crown for my face. It looks really weird.
I also got a Knightsbridge, and while it's a lovely hat, it doesn't resemble any Indy hat. It's very low, and the crown tapers a lot.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

hey everyone

does anybody actually OWN the thing ?

i'd definitely like to sse a few pics of the lid, actually worn by someone. That would help, i guess.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Incidentally I got a reply to an older email I sent to topsecrethats.com.
They confirm that the Swerford is made on the same block as the Adventurer, but with a slightly lower crown and different brim dimensions.
I'm tempted to give it a try after all.. :#:
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Out of curiosity, does it have to be a Chrisy's? Sounds like you have bought a couple of hats already and are not completely satisfied. I think you fit into the same category that alot of us have before when looking for the "perfect hat". If I were you, I would give John Penman a call. He will put you in the perfect hat. You can even send him a couple of photos and he will help determine what is right for you. He has alot of different felts, blocks, ribbon etc. to choose from he also sells the AB Henry and can determine what size would be best for you. You won't be disappointed.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

nihil wrote:Incidentally I got a reply to an older email I sent to topsecrethats.com.
They confirm that the Swerford is made on the same block as the Adventurer, but with a slightly lower crown and different brim dimensions.
I'm tempted to give it a try after all.. :#:
Did you find out if that Adventurer had been blocked too high?...The bashed crown height at the front seemed too high...It's supposed to be 5 3/4" unbashed, but yours was 5.1" bashed...

Ian
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I did measure it actually. The center of the crown unabashed was exactly the same as stated by Christy's.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Since I was using this picture in another thread just now, could you please measure the front and back of your bashed hat as indicated by the red and blue lines in this pic?

It might give me an idea about why you can't bash the centre-dent lower. :TOH:

Regards, Geert
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I sold the hat earlier today, to another forum member. My bash looked very much like the one you show in your picture.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Ah OK. Still a mystery to me then why you couldn't bash it down below 5.1" then, but I guess it doesn't matter any more then, right? :[

Before you ask, that hat is not mine, but from some other member and, I believe, also an Adventurer. :TOH:

Regards, Geert
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

The brim looks very different from the one I had, thicker and much more coarse.
Perhaps I was just unlucky with mine, or simply that it did not suit my face shape.
Now I just need to figure out which one to get instead. I'm not overly positive about spending 200€ or more (including taxes and shipping).