Some other accurate hat than Christy's Adventurer ?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Some other accurate hat than Christy's Adventurer ?

Post by nihil »

Hi all :)

I got a Christy's Adventurer. While it's a great hat in itself, it's simply too 'big' for my head shape. The stovepipe is so tall that my face look really weird underneath.
One I have been considering, is the Christy's Swerford as it's a bit smaller. But I fear it wont be enough.
Are there any suggestions to a reasonably SA hat, that are noticeably smaller in the top (height, taper)?
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Some other accurate hat than Christy's Adventurer ?

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Have you got some shots of you wearing the lid?....Assuming this is your first Indy lid...Thing is, the tall stovepipe lid can get some getting used to...I know I had similar feelings about mine when I first got it...Now a smaller crown height just looks weird to me now....

Ian
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

I don't think you can go wrong with a Penman. I've been more than pleased with every purchase. He does a style from every film, and they're as screen accurate as any hat I've ever seen.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Here is a shot from last Halloween.

As is very evident, I had only got a SA shirt, belt and the hat at the point. The rest is improvisations.
The bag is even a Mk. VI :shock:
A funny side note, the strap for the bag was newly colored, and as a result my shirt was covered in a light brown substance when I got home. I'm glad it came off during wash.

About the fit. this particular photo is actually very good at making the hat look ok-ish for my face, compared to how it looks from basically all other directions. I think the problem is that my face isn't very long, and when I put on the hat, it makes it even more apparent that I've got a short face.
That's why I'm looking for a hat that got a lower crown, and preferably slightly more taper to the top, while still being reasonably accurate.

maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Dang, that IS a tall stovepipe. Maybe it is just the photo, but it seems to be taller than other hats I've seen.

You've definitely got options though. If you want to start on the less expensive side, try the Federation IV from hatsdirect.com. That hat was designed by members here and is a great and accurate Indy hat.

If you are ready to spend some more money on a really fantastic hat, I've heard tell Mr. John Penman is your man.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Aye, does seem a little high...Have you checked the height at the front? Supposed to be 4.5" bashed...

Ian
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

It actually looks even taller in the mirror.

I've measured it and when bashed as low as it can possibly get, it's 5,1". Seem somewhat consistent with the listed 14,5cm unbashed crown height.

I have been considering the Swerford instead, but it's only 0,5cm lower on paper. I doubt that would any significant difference when worn. I also got a Christy's Knightsbridge that I wear on a regular basis, and it's 12,2cm crown height is very good. But I guess a bit too low to get that 'Indy' look. The dimensions and crown taper is also way off compared to 'the hat'.

I have also been looking into the Akruba. Perhaps I should give that one a try. Since the Indy hat is only for a few select occasions, the high end hats are out of question.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

nihil wrote:It actually looks even taller in the mirror.

I've measured it and when bashed as low as it can possibly get, it's 5,1". Seem somewhat consistent with the listed 14,5cm unbashed crown height.

I have been considering the Swerford instead, but it's only 0,5cm lower on paper. I doubt that would any significant difference when worn. I also got a Christy's Knightsbridge that I wear on a regular basis, and it's 12,2cm crown height is very good. But I guess a bit too low to get that 'Indy' look. The dimensions and crown taper is also way off compared to 'the hat'.

I have also been looking into the Akruba. Perhaps I should give that one a try. Since the Indy hat is only for a few select occasions, the high end hats are out of question.
OK, but I don't know why you are wed to the idea of getting another Christy's. I believe the hat you are looking for is the Federation IV. It really is the workhorse of the Indy hat stable. It isn't the incredible hand made quality of a Penman or an Adventurebilt, but it's a darn good hat, looks excellent, feels great, and you won't be worried about whether or not you ruin it, because it isn't expensive like the others.

I think that's the way you need to go. If you are looking for the "Indy look" as you say, then why not get a hat that was designed specifically for that?

I have no idea why your Christy's is 5.1 tall, but it won't do. Check out any of the Fed IV threads. Everyone is very happy with that hat, and you will be too. Then if you really love wearing it, you can upgrade to a Fed IV deluxe, or perhaps something from the great hand made vendors right here on this site.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

So the front pinch from the brim to the top is 5.1"? How tall is the hat when you pop out the bash?
My guess is that the crown is just blocked way too tall for gearhead needs on that Adventurer :? You really can't bring the front down any lower, trying to push it down so the front measures 4.5"?

Regards, Geert
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

maboot38 wrote: I believe the hat you are looking for is the Federation IV. It really is the workhorse of the Indy hat stable. It isn't the incredible hand made quality of a Penman or an Adventurebilt, but it's a darn good hat, looks excellent, feels great, and you won't be worried about whether or not you ruin it, because it isn't expensive like the others.
QFT.

Actually, I've been trying to ruin my Fed4 for a couple of years now (most recently when my canoe overturned on an Estonian river) and can't. It's taken every beating I've given it and continues to look great.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Fed IV
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I'll measure the Adventurer later today.
I've tried to pinch it lower, but if it's any lower than 5,1" at the front, I simply cant wear it properly on my head as the excess hat fabric makes the crown too shallow on the inside.

The Federation IV sounds very tempting. Is it possible to order it from within the EU? If I have to get it from Australia, I not only have to pay for the hat and shipping, but also a 25% tax plus a 30$ tax-fee, making it absurdly more expensive.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Not sure you have to pay custom charges in the UK from Aus...

Ian
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I'm living in Denmark, and the las time I ordered something from Canada, I was taxed. I assume it's the same from Australia.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I live in the US and have bought several Fed IVs. I don't recally thinking the additional cost of shipping was ridiculous.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

The shipping is a reasonable 38 AU$. The problem is the national mail service here who normally handle smaller packages, they charge 30$ just to handle it, and then comes another 25% tax on top of that. The final price would be around the 225UD$ mark.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

How does that compare to getting a Henry from AB Germany? I assume that there'll be no tax on that...

Ian
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Ahhh, yes... the customs tax. Had a problem with that too before with my first hat.

Funny thing happened the next time I got a package... The person at the post office called me up around 8am in the morning. He told me I had a package and that I needed to get there in a hurry before the customs agents get there. I guess he despised the two customs agents over there... probably because they were corrupt and greedy (they overcharge customs taxes and accept bribes... and not even discreetly).
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

Maboot, you convinced me to add a Fed IV to my hat rack. Thank you.

David
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

wwhisko wrote:Maboot, you convinced me to add a Fed IV to my hat rack. Thank you.

David
That's great! It's a must have. Just know that it is an open crown hat, so it doesn't have a bash. You can try to bash it yourself, or you can send it to someone who is experienced to bash it for you.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fenris wrote:Ahhh, yes... the customs tax. Had a problem with that too before with my first hat.

Funny thing happened the next time I got a package... The person at the post office called me up around 8am in the morning. He told me I had a package and that I needed to get there in a hurry before the customs agents get there. I guess he despised the two customs agents over there... probably because they were corrupt and greedy (they overcharge customs taxes and accept bribes... and not even discreetly).
You are wrong. all custom agents are very nice and honest people. who work really hard and deserve every dime they earn. :anxious: :anxious: :anxious: :Plymouth:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

BendingOak wrote:
fenris wrote:Ahhh, yes... the customs tax. Had a problem with that too before with my first hat.

You are wrong. all custom agents are very nice and honest people. who work really hard and deserve every dime they earn. :anxious: :anxious: :anxious: :Plymouth:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: John, you crack me up!

Nihil, what hat size do you have?

Regards, Geert
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I'm a 58.

While the Henry looks very beautiful, it defeats the initial ambition of acquiring a accurate but not overly expensive Indy hat. The Fed IV would cost some 250$, and a Henry from AB probably around the 300$ mark. I know I would get a lot more value for the money with the Henry, but it's simply too far away from my initial budget. This is the reason I was looking at the Swerford as an alternative, as it's from the UK I could get it from some 110$. But I'm not willing to take the plunge, and the Lady warns me about acquiring another hat that got the potential of going straight into the sell-again pile :roll:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

58 huh, too bad I have such a big head then, otherwise I could have "loaned" you one of mine :(

But on the Fed IV: 250$???? As far as I know they go for a lot less: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products. ... Federation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)

Regards, Geert
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Sorry, I meant 225 US$. Actual price including shipping plus 30 US$ customs fee and 25% import tax.

If I could get it at the base actual price of 160 US$ including shipping, I would not hesitate for a second to order one :)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

nihil wrote:I'm a 58.

While the Henry looks very beautiful, it defeats the initial ambition of acquiring a accurate but not overly expensive Indy hat. The Fed IV would cost some 250$, and a Henry from AB probably around the 300$ mark. I know I would get a lot more value for the money with the Henry, but it's simply too far away from my initial budget. This is the reason I was looking at the Swerford as an alternative, as it's from the UK I could get it from some 110$. But I'm not willing to take the plunge, and the Lady warns me about acquiring another hat that got the potential of going straight into the sell-again pile :roll:
Keep your eye on the Bazaar. You will occasionally find some good deals in there, that will meet your needs quite efficiently.

Also, the Fed. Standard will meet that price: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products. ... turnpage=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

wow, Denmark sure has brutal tax rates :shock:

Regards, Geert