New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here's the new Legend jacket for the 30th anniversary of Raiders.

I know everyone has their preference, but to me, these are the best looking Raiders pockets I've ever seen!

There will be more pics up at Wings soon.

It's a very lightweight lamb, completely unlike the striated lamb. It's much closer in weight and texture to the NZ lamb but feels stronger to me, in dark brown. It has the right drape; the active, swashbuckling quality you really only get in a really light leather. If you have any questions about it, fire away and I'll do my best!

Weston
Last edited by Weston on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt.
Vendor

Re: New Legend Jacket for the 30th Anniversary

Post by Sgt. »

Weston wrote:Sarge is working on a new Legend jacket in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Raiders, and this seemed like a good day to talk about it. This is what the new leather looks like.

You can read Wings description of this leather at their site if you look at the Collectors Edition Antique Lamb A-2 2000. It's a very lightweight lamb, completely unlike the striated lamb. It's much closer in weight and texture to the NZ lamb, seal brown, with lighter and darker areas throughout. I chose the picture above to give you an idea of the drape. If you have any questions about it, fire away and I'll do my best!

Weston
Weston You are a very Kind person and good Father... God Bless You! This Picture says it all.

Sarge
PS WOW!!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Wow....
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

That's a nice looking hide. :tup:
Kinda wish they had these when I got my legend. I'm finding the cowhide too be too heavy for my liking.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Sgt. wrote:Weston You are a very Kind person and good Father... God Bless You! This Picture says it all.

Sarge
PS WOW!!
Very kind words Sarge. Thank you!

Weston
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

How soon until it's out? Seems very intriguing.... :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The 'general' email that went out was around 7 weeks. They will be made at the offshore plant to keep the price down.

Regards! Michaelson
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Michaelson wrote:The 'general' email that went out was around 7 weeks. They will be made at the offshore plant to keep the price down.

Regards! Michaelson
Yes 7 weeks is a good number! I think Michaelson they will be well pleased with the feel look and most of all the weight! BTW we will also be sending all the Models that are on our site a free Legend 30th Anniversary jacket at that time! I also will be giving all COW members only a very large discount on this jacket.. Please don't order them until I post the COW Roll back price on this jacket in about 7 weeks or less.

Sarge
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Are there going to be imported and US made versions of this jacket as well or these just going to be produced in one location? Just curious... :TOH:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That I don't know Harry, but Sarge did mention a very limited run which makes me think they will all be made at the same place.

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.uswings.com/ijlegend.asp#30LGND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Are there going to be imported and US made versions of this jacket as well or these just going to be produced in one location? Just curious... :TOH:
From where I stand we will only offer imports only!This leather is not on the open market anyway! Travis will get His tomorrow and then we will start shipping one each to all the Models per their request Free of charge and after that we will offer a 90 day time stamp to COW members at a major discount.. Retail $ 495.00 COW $ 295.00 shipping of course is extra.. This Jacket could be worn year around as a dress up and or dress down high end night on the town.. Not in the woods ! I have never felt a jacket this soft before... High end all the way for those that want Style Fashion and Class all at the same time.

Sarge
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Sgt. wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote:Are there going to be imported and US made versions of this jacket as well or these just going to be produced in one location? Just curious... :TOH:
From where I stand we will only offer imports only!This leather is not on the open market anyway! Travis will get His tomorrow and then we will start shipping one each to all the Models per their request Free of charge and after that we will offer a 90 day time stamp to COW members at a major discount.. Retail $ 495.00 COW $ 295.00 shipping of course is extra.. This Jacket could be worn year around as a dress up and or dress down high end night on the town.. Not in the woods ! I have never felt a jacket this soft before... High end all the way for those that want Style Fashion and Class all at the same time.

Sarge
Does it come in longs, Sarge?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I don't mind taking that one since it's late. It will not be available in longs at this time, according to Sarge's last e-mail.

Weston
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Weston wrote:I don't mind taking that one since it's late. It will not be available in longs at this time, according to Sarge's last e-mail.

Weston
I had sent an email to both Sarge and Myke but didn't hear back. Guess I'll have to call them then. Thanks for the update.
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

JC1972 wrote:
Weston wrote:I don't mind taking that one since it's late. It will not be available in longs at this time, according to Sarge's last e-mail.

Weston
I had sent an email to both Sarge and Myke but didn't hear back. Guess I'll have to call them then. Thanks for the update.
Never received them but that happens.. We get over a thousand e-mails a day and now and then some may get lost.. Like Weston said we may not be able to make longs at this time due to leather supply and regs are very much in demand But we may make longs later on.
Regards,
Sarge
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Ok, I updated the thread with pics of the new Legend jacket so take a look! I'll post another update at the jacket has time to break in. My experience with this leather so far it that it really does take on some nice character with a bit of wear. Again, questions are welcome!

Weston
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Best I've seen out of Wings yet. Nice looking jacket overall.
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

RaidersBash wrote:Best I've seen out of Wings yet. Nice looking jacket overall.
Thank you!! I made this jacket to be worn year around... mountain sheep is not a leather that is on the open market but changes colors as you wear it ! no two jackets look 100 % the same! Take 15 days and wear it.. If you don't like it for any reason send it back no matter what country.. I will give you a refund on the 30th Indy Style less shipping and no questions ask and plus for COW members only You pay $ 295.00 plus shipping! All I ask is if you return it please return it as a new jacket not a used jacket!
Sarge
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Weston that is a fantastic looking jacket and you wear it well! :clap: Sarge, once again you have out done yourself, expect an email from me soon.
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Nice pix on the site of you Sarge. Question. It rides fairly high compared to others I've seen. Is that the style, or ?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

It does look a lot like the NZ lamb.....but stronger feel, eh, Weston?

Looking forward to seeing one in person!!!! You wear it well.....or it just makes you look good one ;)

High Regards!
Indydawg
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks Scott!

61ButteMT, I don't think this one is any shorter than the other imports. It's probably just the angle the pictures were taken.

Indydawg, I no longer have an NZ lamb jacket to directly compare it too since I gave mine to my brother in law, but my impression is that it may be a bit more substantial. It's probably splitting hairs to compare the two in terms of toughness; the are both very thin, very light leathers. Time will tell!

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Understood, Weston....I passed mine along, too, so...I won't have mine to compare either.

Tell me something...the ONE thing that bothered me about my Legend was the sharp angles on the slider strap adjusters. If this leather is thinner and (possibly, therefore) more susceptible to tearing...was an adjustment made to those sliders to round those edges a bit more. I might be afraid those sharp edges would gouge the leather... :-k
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

The sliders are actually pretty nice. I'll see if I can post some close ups this evening so you can decide for yourself, but they look old and worn, and are more of an antique silver color rather than brass. They are a bit smaller than the sliders on the US made jackets. The edges are rounded off enough that I don't see it ever causing a problem or gouging the leather. Even deliberately forcing the corners into the leather I didn't get more than a dent, and that faded out almost instantly.

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I totally understand Dawg's concern. :M: :tup:

The US made bison Legend I had literally punched a hole in the side of my driver's side car seat cover the first time I climbed in my car wearing the jacket. :-s

They were immediately replaced with rectangular sliders.

Regards! Michaelson
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That may just be the nature of sliders as opposed to loops. The can only round the edges so much and still be rectangles, and they have to be large enough to accomodate the straps. These are exactly the same size as the sliders on my Coyles jacket, but thinner, and again, smaller than the sliders on the Schott jackets.

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Could be.

In the case of the Schott made Legend, it's the only jacket I've ever had do that, so it's specific to this specific slider.

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

M is right on my concern...My Bison Legend's sliders did some similar stuff to my Jetta's leather seats. I was able to even it out with Pecards, though; and, like M, I replaced the slider with rectanglular loops.

So, it's good to know twith come with some less "angular" and slightly smaller sliders for this one..

Thanks!
Indydawg
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I really like the look of this... LOVELY leather.
:)

:-k
My only qualm would be the sliders.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I like the Wings jackets but this one isn't doing it for me,the leather is very unexciting. Maybe it's a lot better in real life...
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I took a close up of the slider, and here it is compared to the slider on my Todd's jacket. I haven't yet heard of anyone having a problem with Todd's sliders, so it seemed a fair comparison. It does look to me like those edges are rounded off enough that they should be fine.

This is the A-2 in the same leather, and has been worn in heat and heavy rains over the last couple weeks. I haven't had the Legend jacket long enough to really wear it like the A-2, but I expect the same results.

It's a gorgeous leather from the get-go, but it seems to grain up and take on some rakish character in short order. I think most of the leathers we've gotten used to seeing lately have such an aggressive grain and texture that something like this seems pretty tame by comparison. I'm looking forward to seeing how much character this jacket takes on over time, it's already off to a good start.

Weston
61ButteMT
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by 61ButteMT »

Thanks for that new pic of the A2. I have to say, it looks nice, but like many USW jackets, the panels tend to change to different colors. Now I know Aero sells a cheaper "unmatched" A2 that they claim is more of an accurate period piece, but some may not like the inconsistencies. For me, it depends on the jacket. I think it would look nice on an Indy, but I'm a self-proclaimed non-expert of anything in this realm. :)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Weston wrote:I took a close up of the slider, and here it is compared to the slider on my Todd's jacket. I haven't yet heard of anyone having a problem with Todd's sliders, so it seemed a fair comparison. It does look to me like those edges are rounded off enough that they should be fine.

Weston
It may have something to do with the position of the buckle relative to the back. Maybe the ones that assaulted the car seats were more to the back than the side? I noticed the buckles on the US Wings were flat metal that had been shaped to give the impression of round cross-sections, but maybe that somehow hangs-up on the strap and sticks out.

Seems like it's a rare occurrence ( but a kinda tragic one).
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

How about posting an apples to apples comparison photo of the new slider vs the first Legend sliders we are discussing.

I'm pleased to see they have changed them to be like the Todd's slider, but they're not the buckle Dawg and I are referring to that punched the holes in our seats.

Thanks.

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

The other thing I noticed in the comparison pic is there is more "play" in the US Wings buckle. Could the corner rotate and get jammed against the outside of the strap rather than laying flat? I don't think it's necessarily an issue of being sharp, but one of it sticking out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Here's one of the images of Mitch's jacket right after he got his Legend striated lamb. It's not the best shot of the buckle, but you CAN see they are/were square, boxy, and with VERY sharp angular corners.

I'm pleased these are not on these new jackets.

Just curious, Tibor, do you own a Legend Wings jacket? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Ooh, kinda like your own built-in ninja throwing stars.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I think someone has said that too. :lol: ;)

Here's a thread from last March where this was discussed quite a bit, among other things:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50379&hilit=Legend+buckle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here's the comparison you asked for Michaelson.

Weston
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Just curious, Tibor, do you own a Legend Wings jacket? :-k

Regards! Michaelson[/quote]

I had a SL US made but returned it for a refund. I didn't care for the leather or the buckles.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Understood! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Weston wrote:Here's the comparison you asked for Michaelson.

Weston

Thanks! :TOH:

The sharp corners of the old Legend buckles are pretty clearly shown in that comparison.

I like the new buckles a WHOLE lot more!!! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I can't really tell too well, given the small size of the photo, but the new slider looks to be a good 2mm more narrow than the old one. Still looks pretty angular to me, though....BUT, the comparison pic you posted to the Todd's is nearly identical in color and size.

An improvement to be sure! :tup:

Oh, and I do agree there's a possibility the sliders' placement may have contributed to the seat damage, too. Once I put the rect. Loops on, the straps pulled toward the front of the jacket, moving the loops more to the front, too...and away from my back.

The sliders, on the other hand, facilitated a strap pull towards the BACK of the jacket, situating the slide buckles more towards the back, as well...and, consequently, right where the back would sit against a car seat.

And probably, the sharp edges against leather seats was a factor, too...cloth seats may not have experienced the same issues...

Hopefully, the smaller sliders will be the needed improvement to that issue.
8)
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My seats are cloth. Punched right through it. :-s

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Oh, well....there goes THAT part of my explanation.... :roll:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: ;)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Michaelson wrote:My seats are cloth. Punched right through it. :-s

Regards! Michaelson
That's bad...lets the scratchy horsehair out. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, that it does......and anything else in there.... ](*,)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Weston wrote: Image
Weston
Those are the exact same buckles that came on my imported vintage cow Legend (which makes sense as this is an import jacket as well).
The ones that came on my jacket are cast (not stamped) and have fairly rounded corners.

I knew that he Schott made jackets had bigger buckles, but, did not realize they were that much bigger. :shock:

Are the buckles on the US Legends cast or stamped? If they are stamped, that would explain why some people have been having problems with them chewing up car seats.