Is it impossible to find Alden's for 200 dollars?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Is it impossible to find Alden's for 200 dollars?

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I have been researching again, terribly expensive hobby of mine. I know I'll own the boots my whole life but 435 is really expensive for my line of work. I'm getting ready to drive to Middleborough and break in for a pair( note indygear does not endorse this). As we speak a few towns over the Indy boot is being made...it's like being close to the frail and not getting it. Anyone know a way to get a cheaper pair? I had tried the factory second place but they don't get them often.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Is it impossible to find Alden's for 200 dollars?

Post by Dr._J »

Have you considered a pair of Todds for $75?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I haven't seen $200 Aldens for a LONG time. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

If the factory is near by, I think I would go there and talk to someone. A long shot but maybe worth a try. Maybe they do factory tours or something? Maybe pose as a reporter for a fan site? :lol:

Once you're in and talking with someone they might be able to do you a solid.

Good Luck!
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Shoe mart occasionally sells 2nd's which have minor defects. The ones I've seen you can't tell whats wrong with them. Email them and ask about the 2nds.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yes it is impossible.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Well, don't hate me, but the Alden's I'm wearing right now I bought in the bazaar...for $150 almost new. I knew even then that I was never going to see another opportunity like that, so I'm very thankful! In my searches since then, I've never seen another pair for that cheap...or really even close to that cheap.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

I believe it's the size issue Indiana Joyce has with Todd's. He can't get his size anymore.

I understand the budget thing. ;)

Regards,

Soup
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Vaderbreath wrote:Well, don't hate me, but the Alden's I'm wearing right now I bought in the bazaar...for $150 almost new. I knew even then that I was never going to see another opportunity like that, so I'm very thankful! In my searches since then, I've never seen another pair for that cheap...or really even close to that cheap.
I got a pair from the bazaar for the same price. They are out there... just got to be patient and find them.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Yup. I love my Todd's even with their faults but there's Aldens are Aldens. He's out of 12's until he gets a new manufacturer. The other thing is sizing. Having never tried on a pair I really don't know what size to get even if I could afford it. Schmidty retired and I don't.know if shoe mart will ever get my size in a second. I wish I could go to Fritz's shop. I guess it is a moot point if I can't afford them but desire is a terrible thing right guys?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

jnicktem wrote:
Vaderbreath wrote:Well, don't hate me, but the Alden's I'm wearing right now I bought in the bazaar...for $150 almost new. I knew even then that I was never going to see another opportunity like that, so I'm very thankful! In my searches since then, I've never seen another pair for that cheap...or really even close to that cheap.
I got a pair from the bazaar for the same price. They are out there... just got to be patient and find them.
I used to think that it would be impossible to find certain things as well and it always come to pass that when I least expect it, opportunity knocks and I'm able to acquire that which I thought was unattainable. In other words, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Right now on Ebay, the average price for a pair of Aldens are $250-320 and have tended to stay up towards the more expensive area of that bracket. However, I've seen many pairs of Aldens go for around your price area. In fact, just to be sure, I just did a completed items search for Aldens and see that a pair of 12's sold for $222.50. If I understand correctly, you wear a large sized shoe/boot, correct? If so, you actually will fare much better as I've seen that large sized Aldens go a lot cheaper than say a size 10 - they're just not in the same demand as the average wearers who wear size 9's-10's. So in the Ebay arena, it's very possible too.

The Cairo Bazaar is a wonderful place to find gear for very reasonable prices. It doesn't hurt either to post a "Wanted" ad in the Marrakesh (sp?) Marketplace - you may dig someone out of the woodwork who'll decide it's time to part with theirs and offer you them for a good price.

Hang in there! It's a very positive thing to see that you're willing to buy a pair for $200. If you've still got those funds, I'd suggest putting them aside (so the temptation of spending it is much harder) and gradually add $10 here, $5 there to that pile and before long, you'll have more than enough for the really nice pairs on Ebay that run on average $320 or may even find yourself purchasing that brand new pair.

And trust me - when you feel an Alden boot, you will NEVER regret your purchase. But nothing good ever came from the words "Trust me", especially on an "Indy" forum. ;) :lol: {yes, pun intended}

Best of luck to you!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

IndyRiv wrote:
jnicktem wrote:
I used to think that it would be impossible to find certain things as well and it always come to pass that when I least expect it, opportunity knocks and I'm able to acquire that which I thought was unattainable. In other words, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Right now on Ebay, the average price for a pair of Aldens are $250-320 and have tended to stay up towards the more expensive area of that bracket. However, I've seen many pairs of Aldens go for around your price area. In fact, just to be sure, I just did a completed items search for Aldens and see that a pair of 12's sold for $222.50. If I understand correctly, you wear a large sized shoe/boot, correct? If so, you actually will fare much better as I've seen that large sized Aldens go a lot cheaper than say a size 10 - they're just not in the same demand as the average wearers who wear size 9's-10's. So in the Ebay arena, it's very possible too.

The Cairo Bazaar is a wonderful place to find gear for very reasonable prices. It doesn't hurt either to post a "Wanted" ad in the Marrakesh (sp?) Marketplace - you may dig someone out of the woodwork who'll decide it's time to part with theirs and offer you them for a good price.

Hang in there! It's a very positive thing to see that you're willing to buy a pair for $200. If you've still got those funds, I'd suggest putting them aside (so the temptation of spending it is much harder) and gradually add $10 here, $5 there to that pile and before long, you'll have more than enough for the really nice pairs on Ebay that run on average $320 or may even find yourself purchasing that brand new pair. :H: thank you!

And trust me - when you feel an Alden boot, you will NEVER regret your purchase. But nothing good ever came from the words "Trust me", especially on an "Indy" forum. ;) :lol: {yes, pun intended}

Best of luck to you!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

:H: thank you!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Turns out the boots were 280 bucks back in 06. That's quite a mark up between 06 and 11. I can only assume that it has to do with the steel and the rubber and the leather prices going up, along with wage and insurance increases and the fact that they have only one factory.

My goal is to save up and buy a new pair. I know I wont regret it, but it may take a long time. Also hoping for one of those wage increases I hear other people get...
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Indiana Joyce wrote:Turns out the boots were 280 bucks back in 06. That's quite a mark up between 06 and 11. I can only assume that it has to do with the steel and the rubber and the leather prices going up, along with wage and insurance increases and the fact that they have only one factory.

My goal is to save up and buy a new pair. I know I wont regret it, but it may take a long time. Also hoping for one of those wage increases I hear other people get...
They've also gone to an all leather lining, which IMO is a great move. They are worth it 100%. Quality footwear can't be beat. You won't regret. Check on eBay too. There are always boots for sale there.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

There's 3 pairs on the bay right now, including a vintage stock(which would be the correct Raiders color) but all three are below my size. I got a search saved so if I ever find a deal, I'll be on it.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

whats your size....right now there's some 11's on the bay......
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Depending on the manufacturer I am a 13 - 14. Hence the difficulty.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Here's the good news:

I may be able to get them sooner than I thought.

Here's the bad news:

I don't think they are available in my size and width, according to the main alden site.

If shoe manufacturers are like clothing manufacturers, and they are starting to lie about sizes, then Im in trouble.

If I measured my feet correctly, they are over 12 inches long and like 5 and a quarter inches wide from the widest part of my foot. I had to trace and measure my tracing and the thickness of various parts of my feet for a custom pair of star wars boots recently.

According to a few websites, I am a 14.5 or a 15, and an E. But Todd's shoes were 13 D's, Ive tried on and felt comfy in some 13's in stores.

According to the Alden shop of San Francisco, I can get a pair of 13.5 D's no problem, but according to the Alden main site, I can get a 14 C but not a 13 D, and no half sizes.

I guess it's true: you should walk a mile in a man's shoes before you understand him, hey maybe this is why people don't understand me...my shoes are too much like clown shoes?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

I'd suggest contacting the Alden factory or store you're looking at directly and explain the specs of your feet to them. I'm sure they'll be able to easily accomodate you and starting that initial phone conversation may get you going more as to what they may need from you (i.e. perhaps a tracing of your feet sent to them, etc) with the result of a pair eventually in your own hands (and on your feet ultimately :) )
T.S.
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by T.S. »

I'm on the current wait list for the Adventurebilt Alden's and in order to get my size correct going to an Alden store was not an option as they don't have any vendors that I know of in Australia. However, I sent a tracing of my foot with a scale marked down the side to make sure they got the size right to Adventurebilt as Stefan told me that they have on file scale drawings and outlines of almost every size that Alden can do. I would assume that if they have these outlines then most Alden stores would.

I know all about the difficulties of finding odd sizes I'm actually a 12EEE but for some strange reason there is one brand in which their 17 fits me perfectly so I understand your hesitancy to order without being sure of your exact sizing.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Check out the Ebay, there is a 13 size pair of Aldens right now, with buy-it-now price of 300$, but you can try bidding too.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I was the first bidder and already was outbox last night. I would like to think that someone is buying them for me but I'm sure I'm just in a bidding war with a big dude.:)
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I threw in another bid. I notice he is selling a David Morgan whip too. I am also about to open discussions with a friend of mine, a bootmaker in Peru...
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I won the boots. And when I asked about them, he told me he sold them to a friend. So yeah.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Recently approved for a new credit card...talked to our good friend Schmidty...I'm ordering a pair of 405's. If they fit, and I think they will, I'll be ordering 403's through him as well:) I just can't resist anymore and can't resist talking about it ;)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Awesome! Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, how much are they going to be?

Kyle
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Kyle,

Pm schmidty612, Bryan. They are less than the Alden stores, but there's an Illinois state sales tax. Its in the 400 dollar range but still you figure the Alden shop prices don't include shipping or tax. He may have your size in stock, but if not, he can order them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Since he doesn't live in Illinois, he shouldn't have to pay sales tax anyway.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

A lot of states are charging people state sales tax if they purchase something from that state. Massachusetts keeps trying to do the same but other states rightly tell us to go to ####.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE!

Ugh, as I can't stop thinking about and talking about these shoes, despite having not ordered them yet and the slim chance they won't fit...I have visions of 405's and 403's dancing around in my head to the point that last night I dreamt about them.

I was at work where I plan to have the first pair shipped, and when I opened the box, the 405's were multi colored and had a huge hole going end to end on one shoe. And everyone at work was like "what? you wanted shoes didn't you?"

*shudder*
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Joyce wrote:A lot of states are charging people state sales tax if they purchase something from that state. Massachusetts keeps trying to do the same but other states rightly tell us to go to ####.
Really? News to me, and I've purchase many an item from that State. :-k

Rgards! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I've never seen you misspell regards before:)

I'm just going by what Schmidty told me. Maybe its something his store does, or it could be for higher end goods, like the luxury tax here in Massachusetts.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You should see what happens when I get in a hurry and I get my fingers in the wrong place on the keybord, destroying 'Michaelson'!!!!! #-o

:lol: ;)

I've purchased 405's from Schmidty. I was not charged sales tax.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

When was that? They signed a bill into law in Illinois, Rhode Island and another state called the Amazon bill or the Main Street fairness act saying if you by phone or internet buy something in one of these states regardless of where you live, you have to pay the state sales tax. Its a ridiculous law. I found it online. I think it was passed in March of this year.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Last year.

Here's what the law states, which is specifically aimed at Illinois residents purchases of online items, avoiding sales tax.
Illinois has passed legislation to tax online sales made to consumers located in the state. In March 2011 Gov. Pat Quinn signed the "Main Street Fairness Act," which targets online retailers with Illinois affiliates. Quinn said the act would help create fair competition and generate more revenue for the state. Illinois estimates that it loses $153 million in sales taxes every year due to the fact that out-of-state retailers do not remit sales tax on purchases made by Illinois residents. Some online retailers have responded to this legislation and similar efforts in other states by threatening income tax revenues collected from their online affiliates. Amazon and Overstock.com have threatened to terminate affiliates in states that demand that sales tax be collected by online retailers. "For us, there's really no side effect, but for the states, they lose the income tax," said Overstock President Jonathan Johnson. Wal-Mart responded by inviting online businesses based in Illinois to join its affiliate network.[77]
I am not a resident of Illinois, and therefore this does not apply to me, or anyone who lives outside the state of Illinois.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

:-k huh. Well, that's why they say you're a knower of things.
I sent him a message. I must have read the article wrong. If you lose the sales tax, the shoes are only 380. Im getting antsy because my feet are screaming for a comfortable pair of shoes.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I'd say there'd be another civil war regarding 'States Rights' if another State tried to collect sales tax on sales to someone from another State, putting those funds in THEIR State coffers considering the current financial situation. :shock:
;)
Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I re read both articles. Then I went to the sales tax institute website. It states that if a resident from outside of a state with a sales tax has an item shipped to a state without a sales tax the tax can only be collected if there is a physical presence in the non taxed state, for example, a chain store like Best Buy.

I can't believe I'm discussing tax law on an Indy forum.

And that im going thru so much for a pair of shoes.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

You went astray somewhere between here:
Indiana Joyce wrote:My goal is to save up and buy a new pair. I know I wont regret it, but it may take a long time.
and here:
Indiana Joyce wrote:Recently approved for a new credit card...talked to our good friend Schmidty...I'm ordering a pair of 405's.

That and the fact that you are actually agonizing over sales tax when you are about to drop 4 bills on a pair of shoes. That plus the images of shoes dancing around in your head implies that perhaps you might not be making the best choices here. Maybe right now $400 shoes aren't for you.

Just saying. I've seen guys get in over their heads before with money and aquisition disorders where they just HAVE TO HAVE Indy stuff or Star Wars stuff.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you've shared pretty much every thought that has popped into your head, and have shared your continued financial stresses on this forum, I figured if it is appropriate for you to post that, then it is appropriate for me to respond. Out of concern, it doesn't sound like you can really afford Aldens bud, hate to say it. I want a boat right now...and I can't afford it, but I'm not going to put it on credit card. It'll cost me more than it would if I just did the RIGHT thing, which is save up for it.

Like I said, I wasn't going to say anything, but you've shared your financial woes here and before, so I guess that is an invitation for reply. You don't need these shoes right now. You just think you do. At the end of the day, it is just stuff. Hop on a plane and go on an adventure. It'll make you more like Indy than the shoes will. $400 will get you half way to Peru for **** sake!

There, I said it because I bet nobody has said it to you before, or if they have you've ignored it. If you need an entire thread devoted to how you can afford Aldens, then you can't afford Aldens. I don't mean to be antagonistic, and I'm sorry if I sound mean, but I've seen this before, and it looks like another case of some pretty unhealthy and dangerous behavior.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Shoes are on the way! Talked to Bryan this morning. I may post my review, if for no other reason then to show how big they are. Other then that, you see one 405 you've seen them all right?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Indiana Joyce wrote:Shoes are on the way! Talked to Bryan this morning. I may post my review, if for no other reason then to show how big they are. Other then that, you see one 405 you've seen them all right?

you'd think, but no. Every batch looks slightly different- dye in the leather, thread in the stitching, etc...
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Shoes came in! Now for the breaking in process. Pics to follow. They are a reddish brown, with the duck lining. Im guessing the 2008-09 stock. They are snug buut I am also not used to this level of support and am currently wearing thick socks.