Heavy duty zippers...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Heavy duty zippers...

Post by Michaelson »

I doubt that item is on the QC check list at the factory, _, but I guess it's as good a test as any. Painful, but good. :-k

Ouch! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I wonder how heavy duty the zipper was on that flashback pre-prom scene in "Something About Mary" was... :-k

The zipper on my cotton jacket was pretty heavy duty and smooth... too bad I messed it up by pulling the teeth out and repositioning the ends (when I had a tailor shorten it). Now I couldn't lock it into place to zip it up; some thread seems to get in the way. I know I could repair it, but just haven't found the time to do it.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Some Vanson zippers do that too. The zippers are so tough you can probably saw through a 2 x 4 with them when they are new. They remain tough, but the edges dull down somewhat with use so the cuts will gradually get more shallow and the injuries less severe. There is an irony about being injured by a piece of clothing that was designed to protect you from injury that amuses me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

...let alone trying to explain to the doctor/nurse/wife/husband exactly how you made such a weird looking slice on your appendage as they apply the bandaide ! :lol:

(good to see you, Rick!) :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Michaelson wrote:...let alone trying to explain to the doctor/nurse/wife/husband exactly how you made such a weird looking slice on your appendage as they apply the bandaide ! :lol:

(good to see you, Rick!) :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Good to be seen, too. To say I have been busy is a bit of an understatement, but that is no excuse, and unfortunately, it will happen again.

A fine line exists when you talk about whips, leather, zippers and belts - All innocent in the context used here (well, mostly) but the line blurs somewhat when an injury is incurred from any of them. "Well doc, my wife just tried on some of my new leather gear and was testing the whip and..." The mind of an "outsider" automatically takes that statement to dark places, when we know she was wearing your Wested jacket and testing your 8 foot kangaroo bullwhip while wearing your beaver fedora. Likewise, any time a guy says he cut himself on his zipper... well, you know.

But I was worried about the sharp zippers at first, as they are dangerous. Who would have thought so, right? I had a few Aero jackets and all of mine has smaller gauge zippers that seemed to be somewhat undersized when compared to the strength/heaviness of the FQHH. I was expecting a much stronger zipper. Not that it ever gave me issues, but creates a potential weak spot in an otherwise indestructible jacket.

Oh, the rodent is "Zippy." He is actually paddling a canoe, but that made for a lousy avatar. Especially after wrestling him away from the cats a few times. The hat was from my Wal-Mart antenna:

I was tired at looking at my face on the site. I cannot imagine how you guys must have felt.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Squirrel!
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

rick5150 wrote:... I was worried about the sharp zippers at first, as they are dangerous...
Yes,they are...

TMFR :lol: