The OTHER hats in Crystal Skull

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The OTHER hats in Crystal Skull

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Does anyone know who supplied the fedoras for the extras on Crystal Skull? Was it Art?

Thanx!!!
Charlie
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: The OTHER hats in Crystal Skull

Post by mcmanm »

No one but Steve and Mark. Just a word of warning. Talk like that is considered blasphemous on these boards :).
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

mcmanm wrote:No one but Steve and Mark. Just a word of warning. Talk like that is considered blasphemous on these boards :).
:-s I don't believe anyone here has ever claimed that the non-Indy hats from Crystal Skull were made by Marc or Steve.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Maybe _ can answer this...

Also, in the book, "The Ultimate Guide" they mention Bernie having the Indy hats that Steve and Marc sort of "restyled" or something to that effect. Is there any truth in that entry?
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I don't know, but the hat being worn by the fellow sitting behind Indy looks a lot like a green "Penman". I know John did not make it, but as I have one on order, it's fun to think that it resembles that guy's hat quite closely. :)

But truly, I also wonder who might have made that particular hat, and/or those worn by the KGB guys . . .

Daren
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Bernie used barons steamer to re-crease some hats, Thats it.

I think that hat in the train that Daren is speaking of is a vintage hat as well as some of the others.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

BendingOak wrote:I think that hat in the train that Daren is speaking of is a vintage hat as well as some of the others.
That is what I am after, who supplied them?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm not sure but I don't think it was a hatter if that's what your thinking.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My guess is the studios have warehouses full of costume pieces for extras.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Jeff wrote:My guess is the studios have warehouses full of costume pieces for extras.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Thats my understanding but have no proof of it.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I know Art of Vintage Sillouettes has a boat load of various vintage fedoras that he rents out to movies in production. IIRC, he supplied some of the hats for the extras in Titanic & Seabiscuit.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

BendingOak wrote:Bernie used barons steamer to re-crease some hats, Thats it.
Didn't the dude who runs Baron Hats try to claim that Bernie came to him in "a panic," needing HIM to "fix" a bunch of CS hats, thus leading to his (later found out to be erroneous) claims that he made some of the hats for CS? As I recall the story, the dude literally tried to step in and steal Marc and Steve's thunder when this was all going on, making claims that were specious at best, and later found out to be heavily exaggerated at worst. Do I have all that right?
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Strider wrote:
Didn't the dude who runs Baron Hats try to claim that Bernie came to him in "a panic," needing HIM to "fix" a bunch of CS hats, thus leading to his (later found out to be erroneous) claims that he made some of the hats for CS? As I recall the story, the dude literally tried to step in and steal Marc and Steve's thunder when this was all going on, making claims that were specious at best, and later found out to be heavily exaggerated at worst. Do I have all that right?
That is more or less correct but I am not refering to Indy's hats, I am asking about the fedoras worn by all the extras.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Strider, you are correct. Bernie wasn't in a panic just needed a steamer to re-cease the hats. Bernie calls bashing blocking, I think that played a role in all that as well.

I don't another hatter had anything to do with any of the vintage fedoras you see.
RNomura
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RNomura »

I'm guessing the other hats were rentals from Western Costume Company in North Hollywood.

~Ron
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I know that the stand in for Indy on the train scenes wore a hat made by Barons, because the guy called me and told me as much. I think he said it was also gray.

Bernie did go to Barons to have Mark steam and put the popped out creases back into the hats, but Bernie had already given me the specs on how tall on the back, the front, and how many inches back to make the front creases. So, he got Mark at Barons to put those back in, although I creased all hats before I sent them to Bernie at W.C.

Barons recreased the lot of hats that went to the films first shoots in N.M, I think, but from there on out, Bernie had learned how to do the crease jobs himself and got real good at it. He almost freaked out when in the first action scene the creases popped out, and even called me from the site to tell me to make the remaing 30 odd hats stiff! By the time I had stiffened up 2 or 3 that were to be shipped out that week, he called again and said nevermind, he had mastered the hat creasing art again, as it has been since his days at Gunsmoke the last time he actually had to work with hats. He became a pro real quick with these Indy hats.

While we made those hats for that film, the looks of the hat is all Bernie. He was very detailed on what he wanted, as we wanted Raider looking fedoras, creases and all, but it was a lost cause. :lol: He wanted LC hats, so we simply pulled a fast one and sent him straight blocked hats instead of tapered hats, and he worked with that. We were sneaky. But, Steven liked what he saw so that is all that matters. Both Marc and I could not stand the thought of a tapered hat, as we were both Raider fans.

While Bernie had several different blockshapes, we only sent straight blocked hats, although each block did vary on the dome shape. He chose the CS block over our straight Raiders block, probably because we called it a Raiders block! And he did not want the Raiders hat in this film, to try to keep some continuity with the LC hat.

Hope this clears up some stuff, as well as informing some of the new guys here about the hats in CS. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Strider wrote:

Yeah, Mark at Barons helped Bernie out with the recreasing, and even sank one sweat deeper into one hat that I had not pulled it down far enough. But this hat was not for the film, but a gift for someone in production or a friend of Steven. Bernie chewed me out over that sweat, and got my attention real fast. I stopped letting my sis sew in sweats after that incident, but I always did all of the sewing on Indy's hats, just not the stunt hats. After that, I did it all to stay out of t rouble. :lol: Given the number of hats we had to make, one screw up aint too bad, I guess. But nothing got past the eyes of Bernie Pollack. We found that out real fast. He is a perfectionist and detail driven. And a heck of wonderful human being.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

These are just the kinds of posts that have been sorely missed in your absence, Steve. So glad to have you back.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Indiana Jeff wrote:These are just the kinds of posts that have been sorely missed in your absence, Steve. So glad to have you back.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Agreed! :D

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Fedora wrote:While we made those hats for that film, the looks of the hat is all Bernie. He was very detailed on what he wanted, as we wanted Raider looking fedoras, creases and all, but it was a lost cause. :lol: He wanted LC hats, so we simply pulled a fast one and sent him straight blocked hats instead of tapered hats, and he worked with that. We were sneaky. But, Steven liked what he saw so that is all that matters. Both Marc and I could not stand the thought of a tapered hat, as we were both Raider fans. Fedora
Your public thanks you!!! :)
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

DanielJones wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:These are just the kinds of posts that have been sorely missed in your absence, Steve. So glad to have you back.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Agreed! :D

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
Absolutely. This is great stuff!
best
Canada