US Wings SL Cold Water Wash Results

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

Re: US Wings SL Cold Water Wash Results

Post by Holt »

this jacket is awesome.

I really hope ALL legend striated lamb jackets will look like this in terms of skin and details. The jackt just really speaks to me.

I'm just thinking that maby I will have to go for a XL instead of an L. it looks just a tad to small for me.

I mean, the HERO naked cowhide size LARGE is a perfect fit for me,(alittle big in the waist, but ok) this jacket still sized large looks slimmer and smalller.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Anyone knows when the sizing chart for Legend jackets will be posted at the website?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Indiana Holt wrote:this jacket is awesome.

I really hope ALL legend striated lamb jackets will look like this in terms of skin and details. The jackt just really speaks to me.

I'm just thinking that maby I will have to go for a XL instead of an L. it looks just a tad to small for me.

I mean, the HERO naked cowhide size LARGE is a perfect fit for me,(alittle big in the waist, but ok) this jacket still sized large looks slimmer and smalller.
I think that would be a good idea Holt. Your a little bigger than I am, and I don't have a whole lot of room to spare in this size L.

Weston
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Anyone know the difference between reg. and long in these Legends? I called and spoke with Myke and he said he would email me the specs, but I haven't heard anything from him yet....
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Honestly Coronado, I don't know the specs but I would send Myke one more e-mail. I know they have been extremely busy the past week with all the new jackets coming in. So, just drop him a line and say it's your second time asking and you're considering a purchase and see what he says. I'm sure you'll hear something today if you send it soon. Here is his e-mail again just incase you need it.

myke@uswings.com

Hope it helps,

:TOH:
-TS
indiana745
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indiana745 »

I am keen on getting a Legend in a long size as well... haven't been this excited about a jacket in awhile!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Thanks TS!

C3
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

emailed yesterday... No word yet on reg vs. long
indiana745
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indiana745 »

Just placed an order for my first Indy jacket in a long time... a US wings Legend jacket in striated lamb! Let the (hopefully short) wait begin! :D
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

stunning effect! I'm also interested in sizing. Being 6"1 with relatively long arms, I'm leaning towards a Long, but I don't want the long body. Anyone got any specs yet?
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Nothing yet... I am assuming that it is probably a 1" difference between reg/long
Clutters wrote:stunning effect! I'm also interested in sizing. Being 6"1 with relatively long arms, I'm leaning towards a Long, but I don't want the long body. Anyone got any specs yet?
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

Mitch begins to write e-mail
"Dear Santa(Sarge)Claus..."

Mitch (already seduced by every photo of Weston's U.S. Wings SL Jacket that he's seen) looks at this photo of back of said jacket:
Weston wrote: Image

;)
You are correct Mitch, it's best you send that Nowak jacket of yours to me :lol: .

Weston, your jacket looks amazing !!!
Perhaps I should write Santa an e-mail aswell :-k .
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Christian Jones wrote:

Mitch (already seduced by every photo of Weston's U.S. Wings SL Jacket that he's seen) looks at this photo of back of said jacket:
Weston wrote: Image
Okay... Lani just said that is all I need!!That made my day... love it.
Sarge

;)
You are correct Mitch, it's best you send that Nowak jacket of yours to me :lol: .

Weston, your jacket looks amazing !!!
Perhaps I should write Santa an e-mail aswell :-k .
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

looks pretty cool man :TOH:

keith
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Weston wrote:

Weston
THIS is what an Indy jacket should look like in my opinion. Its a functional item of clothing that has been through as many adventures as the man himself - and it should show each wrinkle and scar!

A fantastic interpretation and you wear it well mate!

Warmest regards

MARK
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Keith, Mark, thank you! Hopefully, it's comments like these that will move Sarge and Roz Schott to forgive me for putting beautiful handmade leather jacket through a washing machine! It did no damage whatsoever, but added loads of character to the leather.

This jacket is my favorite by far!

Weston
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Weston wrote:Keith, Mark, thank you! Hopefully, it's comments like these that will move Sarge and Roz Schott to forgive me for putting beautiful handmade leather jacket through a washing machine! It did no damage whatsoever, but added loads of character to the leather.

This jacket is my favorite by far!

Weston
This is all new to Roz and I but with that said there is no doubt in my Military Mind.. I love the look! But will leave the washing Machine up to the new owners.
Sarge
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have said it before and will say it again. That jacket above by weston is BY FAR the best wings jacket I have seen in all my life. I'm really looking forward to mine in XL.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Indiana Holt wrote:I have said it before and will say it again. That jacket above by weston is BY FAR the best wings jacket I have seen in all my life. I'm really looking forward to mine in XL.
Have you already spoken with US Wings about sizing then or did you just pick your own?

Ian
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Both. I speak with them on a weekley basis. but I don't have any sizing info to share.

You are a big guy. I would NOT go for a Large. you probably ripp the thing to shreds. I think XL or even bigger is for you my friend.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Weston and Holt. What size would you recommend for me? I'm 6 feet tall and about 185-190lbs. I think the large would fit perfect brand new, but I am worried about how much it will shrink...

Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well, how did your HERO fit you my friend? That was Large wasn't it?

well, the legend is slimmer then the HERO.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

My hero a little baggy. Less so through the shoulders, and much fuller through the waist. It was a large, and it had enough room underneath to wear a sweater perfectly.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I know what you are talking about, alittle baggy in the waist. mine to. To be on the safe side I am going for a XL as the raiders is not a TRIM jacket as many think it is. its alittle baggy. I believe the XL will fit like a trim 46. I usually wear a 44 so I think it will work.

I would suggest a Large for you.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:TOH: Yeah, I think large is best. Worst case scenario, I exchange a large for an XL...

Travis
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Well I've just spoken to a nice lady at US Wings who said that mine should be a 2XL. I'm a 50" chest, 5' 11.5" and 235 lb. I forgot to ask about the back and sleeve length.

Ian
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

_ wrote:
Ian wrote:Well I've just spoken to a nice lady at US Wings who said that mine should be a 2XL. I'm a 50" chest, 5' 11.5" and 235 lb. I forgot to ask about the back and sleeve length.

Ian
Oh, the carnage you'll cause in the lamb pen... :TOH: they'll have to take a few of the really big ones.

It's great leather - enjoy!
Well if they run out of the little critters, we've only got you to blame. ;)

Ian
KrYpToNiAn1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KrYpToNiAn1 »

Mike from US Wings just called me this afternoon to confirm my order for the SL Legend. It's costing me $434.90 after shipping. He says they are shipping on or around the 21st! Just in time for the Holidays! =) I am ordering the LARGE and plan on doing the cold water wash to it, and will be swapping the zipper pull.

Are there any modifications I need to make to my order? Or is the jacket seen above like the one I'm gonna get? Are there inside facings on the USA made version? Just making sure of my order before I send the funds.

Thoughts?

s.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

US Wings SL Cold Water Wash Results

Post by djd »

As I understand it there are no facings on the US version. How much extra are you paying to have the zipper swapped?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

KrYpToNiAn1 wrote:Mike from US Wings just called me this afternoon to confirm my order for the SL Legend. It's costing me $434.90 after shipping. He says they are shipping on or around the 21st! Just in time for the Holidays! =) I am ordering the LARGE and plan on doing the cold water wash to it, and will be swapping the zipper pull.

Are there any modifications I need to make to my order? Or is the jacket seen above like the one I'm gonna get? Are there inside facings on the USA made version? Just making sure of my order before I send the funds.

Thoughts?

s.
The one you see above is the one I recieved, and your's may be different. The pattern is the same, but they are hand made jackets. The point I'm trying to make here is that these jackets are likely going to vary every time, though the differences may be minor. For anyone thinking about giving it the cold wash treatment, I strongly recommend waiting, seeing how it fits, deciding if this look is really what you want because there is no going back! Pecards won't make it look new in this case; it is a significant transformation unlike any I have seen in any other leather before. Make sure it fits, make sure you have a little room to play with, and make sure you intend to keep it whatever the result because I'm sure Sarge isn't interested in taking back jackets that have been altered this way!

Now, to be clear, I LOVE my jacket, and am glad it turned out so well; but I don't recommend this for everyone. This leather will look great in short order all on it's own. Just use good judgement guys! Even with the discounts Wings is offering, you're still laying out a good amount of cash for a handmade jacket of extraordinary quality. I'd just hate to see someone ruin their jacket just because they liked the way mine looked! I really believe this treatment is best attempted by those who have had some experience with leather jackets.

Now, all that said the jacket is unbelievably awesome! I envy those about to recieve thiers, knowing that they will find that all the pictures, all the reviews if anything have been understated.

Weston
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hey.

back on this topic.

Wes, how did it change the leather surface? is it still proone to distressing or did the surface harden and toughend up a bit? many lambs do. mine did when I gave it a cold water soak.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

The process took alot of the puffiness out of the leather that lamb is known for. It also seemed toughen it up and the surface more resistant to getting those little tags like G-MANN posted on another thread (minor surface tear). It also took the shine off, and lightend the color a shade.

I'll have to post an update so you can see it now that I've been for a few months. The first few days of wearing it, and the first rain changed the jacket alot; it already looked like a well worn jacket. I think the wash yeilded the same result one would get it they just wore their jacket hard for a year and through several rainstorms.

It seems pretty stable now; there is no big change from day to day as there was at first.

Weston
Last edited by Weston on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks. :TOH: that's what I thought it would do and needed to know. take away the puffines. that is what the soaking does to a lambskin. it's like the leather fibers shrink and tightens up.

I'm no going to wash mine but I will be wearing it ALOT in the rain :D
KrYpToNiAn1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KrYpToNiAn1 »

djd wrote:As I understand it there are no facings on the US version. How much extra are you paying to have the zipper swapped?
I just paid $70 Canadian to have one of the action straps restitched and the zipper replaced. I pick it up tomorrow and will have pictures up in a couple weeks.

s.
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Weston, do you think we can get some more recent photos of this jacket? I feel obsessed.... ;)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

bobcatmvp1 wrote:Weston, do you think we can get some more recent photos of this jacket? I feel obsessed.... ;)

No problem! I should be able to put some up later today.

Weston
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

This is the most recent picture I have of the jacket. It was taken a couple months ago and I think I already posted it somewhere, but I cropped it down to show more detail.

Not alot of difference to look at, but man has it softened up since I posted those last pics!

Weston
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

That jacket looks GREAT, Weston! I have the same jacket, and havebeen caught in a couple rain storms wearing it, I just can't bring myself to put it in the washer. But I consider it every time I put it on.
-J